[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of mushrooms are these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 14
File: CAM02147.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
CAM02147.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
laugh if you will, but mushrooms are a newly found curiosity of mine, and I don't know a damn thing about them.

These particular ones were on my property this morning.. The white/yellow ones have a slimy texture to them, while the reddish ones are all very similar, in that they feel like brittle rubber.

That's literally All I know about them from my experience.. I'd like to be able to identify them, and know what their uses are if any, or if they're toxic, etc. sorry if this isn't /out/ enough, just seemed related. more pics on the way.
>>
File: CAM02144.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM02144.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>
File: CAM02150.jpg (1001 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM02150.jpg
1001 KB, 1920x2560
>>
File: CAM02143.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM02143.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
I'm sorry they're shit pictures, don't have much in the way of technology, and idk what I'm taking a picture of, as far as what visual information is useful and what isn't. there were also some pale ones with purple/blue rims on the caps. avoided touching them though.
>>
>>639524
Not sure but don't look like anything you'd want to eat, or trip on AFAIK.
>>
>>639535
Implying they're potentially dangerous or purposeless?
>>
File: 1332275024080.gif (499 KB, 220x283) Image search: [Google]
1332275024080.gif
499 KB, 220x283
>>639524
I wasn't really paying attention and the thumbnail looked like a cat laying on its back
>>
>>639524
Those are brushes. Chicks use them to dust whole wheat flour on their faces.
>>
>>639541
If you don't know for sure what they are, it's best to assume they're toxic.
Mushrooms are serious business.
>>
Regardless of what they are, they are too old to eat anyway. Also, you can touch any poisonous mushroom and it won't harm you, unless you have some odd skin allergy to mushrooms. It is digesting them that is the problem.
>>
>>639524
Some kind of Russula. Inedible. Some features to help you ID them in the future: hollow stem that breaks like chalk, white gills that are free from the stem, and it "explodes" when drop kicked. Also: all Russula spp are mycorrhizal-- meaning they associate with trees. If they are coming out of a dead log or there are no trees around it's definitely not a Russula. They are very common-- and while there are some edible spp they are not worth hunting IMO.
>>
>>639610
how do you tell if they're too old? are there negative side effects from eating them after they've aged? are there any uses for them besides eating once they get to this point or are they just as useless as a pine cone?

>>639865
thank you for the information, definitely the kind of stuff I'm looking for here. would have never thought to drop kick a mushroom. Only thing is that there's only 2 trees in the whole yard, and they're on the opposite side of the property. there's a bit of dog shit laying around though.. if a tree is 1/2 an acre away, does that count as being "around?"

Also, again does inedible mean its harmful or pointless to eat?
>>
>>640042
>how do you tell if they're too old? are there negative side effects from eating them after they've aged? are there any uses for them besides eating once they get to this point or are they just as useless as a pine cone?

they get limp and mushy, they're essentially spoiling. Most are full of maggots. Old mushrooms, even edible varieties, are a great way to get food poisoning

>if a tree is 1/2 an acre away, does that count as being "around?"Also, again does inedible mean its harmful or pointless to eat?

no, you aren't going to get mycorrhizal (tree associated) fungi much outside the root zone. Basically under the canopy give or take a few feet

inedible mushrooms taste like dirt at best, or may be mildly bad for you at worst. Some may give you a stomach ache or something, and many have poisonous look-alikes. Stick to thoroughly identified explicit edibles

and are they good for anything? Russulas are good for throwing at trees and the pileipellis (cap-skin) of some varieties can make a pretty good dye. the other ones kinda look like lactarius which arent useful for much. Add them to your life list of mushrooms though, like bird watching!

I'm not any of the guys you responded to but I am a mycologist by trade so i figured id chime in
>>
>>640248
this is great info :) I didn't even know mycology was a thing. I guess that's a better way to describe my growing interests, instead of simply "I really like mushrooms"

What are some common examples of useful mushrooms? and is there any way to promote their growth on your land? I live in Florida, so the ground is pretty damp and warm most of the time, excluding the upcoming months. It would be cool to have a greater variety of them to look at as opposed to the same moldy looking red ones.
>>
>>640306
are there any good sources for learning the basics of mycology? Don't think I want to get too extremely technical, as its simply an interest.. and I wouldn't begin to know what to google. "mushrooms" and "mycelium" only get me so far. Not looking for anything specific, just things of greater interest. They're the most fascinating things I've seen innawoods for a while, excluding bone piles. Mostly just pine needles, pine cones, palm fronds, and critters.
>>
>>640308
Anon, a very good book is mycelium running by paul stamets. He's very knowledgeable and an expert in his field, I'd recommend any of his books. He also did a ted talk on mushrooms that I really enjoyed, it's actually where my interest began.
Id also like to hear from anyone else that has suggestions for learning about mycology.
>>
Mycology general?

>tfw first time brewing up a Trametes versicolor (Turkey tail) tea for my mama
>>
>>640042
>harmful or pointless
Either, both. While there are edible spp of Russula, I don't think they compare well with the real choice edibles. At least where I live, there are so many quality mushrooms that I've never had much impetus to seek out edible Russulas.
>>
File: 77_all_that_the_rain_promises.jpg (157 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
77_all_that_the_rain_promises.jpg
157 KB, 880x880
>>640306
>>640703
>>640308

If you're interested in cultivating, using, or just generally encouraging the growth of mushrooms on your land, I second the recommendation of Mycelium Running. It gives a thorough and very readable introduction to fungi and fungal cultivation.

My personal recommendation is to meet up with people who hunt in your area. Books are great, but I learn more from foraying with seasoned hunters than anything else by far.

If you're looking for a good layman's fieldguide, I recommend David Aurora's "All That the Rain Promises and More". It's far from the most exhaustive guide, but it extremely accessible, easy to use, and entertaining.

If you get more serious, I recommend looking for an area-specific dichotomous key as opposed to a more general guide like "Mushrooms Demysitified".
>>
You know there are great services like these, right? Just like the books beginners bring with them but online.

http://www.mycokey.com/newMycoKeySite/MycoKeyIdentQuick.html
Google for it in your language (if you're not Unitedstatian or United kingdomian) to find more relevant localized versions
>>
>>639524
I'm just starting off as well, and in my opinion, it's easier to learn about what's edible in your area, and how to identify those few than it is to try to learn all 5 Million different varieties of mushrooms.

In my area, there's morels, half morels, golden and black chantrelles, hen of the woods, chicken of the woods, giant and standard puffballs, and lions mane, that I can identify from lookalikes. There may be a handful of others, I may learn those in the future, but with just those several, I can find something on a hike to put in my camp soup.

One thing that I found interesting, is that most mushrooms that look mushroomy don't seem to be edible, but all the best tasting ones look like something from a witches' brew. Look up the ones on my list, not a single one is a stem-and-cap toadstool mushroom.
>>
good rule of thumb for shrooms
if you are even the tiniest bit unsure what kind they are don't eat them, they could legit KILL YOU
>>
Hey guys, OP here. These little guys were growing in the same yard as the ones originally posted. Any help identifying them? The young ones have white caps, but seem to turn into the golden caps after a few days. I have no idea what the big one is in the back but it looks pretty damn cool. I'd like to be able to l9osely classify them so I can keep track of all the ones I've come accross
>>
File: 20151206_150434.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151206_150434.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>642227
Sorry, forgot pics like a fucktard.
>>
File: 20151206_150510.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151206_150510.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>642227
>>642231
>>
get in the habit of taking spore prints, again google is god here
>>
File: 20151206_174802.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151206_174802.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>642243
Noted, did a quick Google on how to do them, so I'll do what I can and post my results I guess. Idk, it just sounded like more intimidating of a task to do, as in I'm no scientist and I'll fuck something up. But it seems simple enough after further reading on it, so I'll give it a go.

Here's some more, I think they might be rotting though, they have a pretty pungent "mushroom" smell to them, and the bigger ones have discolored caps
>>
File: Snapchat-17007017694553981.jpg (328 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-17007017694553981.jpg
328 KB, 1080x1920
>>642257

So what I read said to leave them be for at least two hours, max a day or two. After waiting two hours I checked them for progress and found absolutely nothing. The best print I got was from the gold caps and it's in the pic.

Second best is actually more spores than any of them, but they're almost as white as the paper. That's coming from the red caps from the OP, rumored to be Russula.. after looking up russula spore prints it seems pretty accurate, I'm not sure if I should be looking for anything else besides color, but if it's strictly color based, and based off the word of you guys, and pics of other russula on the webs, I'd say that's what it is. :)

As for the others, how do I get them to print more? Can I just leave the same caps to sit longer or do I need fresher ones now that I moved them? They don't seem to be printing at all.. aside from the gold caps.
>>
>>642330
>tl;Dr
>3 hrs later, no spores. did I fuck up?
>pretty sure I positively identified a russula tho
>how do I get more spores out of these shits? Just wait longer?
>>
>>642335
>>642330

Older mushrooms won't always give the best spore prints. In addition, spore color may make it difficult to see the print.

I leave caps out for at least 7 hours to print. 2 hours probably won't cut it.
>>
>>642689
Thanks for the tip, got some pretty awesome prints with the same caps after waiting just a bit longer. They might even be over printed if that's a thing. Can't really make out gill shape/patterns but the color is definitely there. Pics incoming
>>
>>643855
Didn't have any dark paper, but here's the print I got from the russula. I understand there's different types of russula, but I'm not sure how to pinpoint exactly which types are what. From what I could find on google, this might be Emetica?
>>
>>643866
And some others, not a clue where to begin with these. This one didn't have much of a stem to begin with, no outstanding features, other than its strong "mushroom" smell, and the edges are brown. Could be due to age or damage? Slight indentation in the middle of the cap.
>>
>>643874
Thought these were the same as the previous post at first, but the spores are significantly darker. Also, the stems were semi-lengthy and hollow, and they lack any indentation on the caps
>>
>>643879
This one baffles me. It looks like it's been donkey punched, can't tell if it's severely bruised, moldy, or if that's just the color of it. Stems are a thick, pale red color. Upon breaking the stem, the inside kinda looks like wet brown sugar.. and smells sweet. The gills are a pale reddish/pink, and the caps are the biggest I've seen in person, easily triple the size of the russula, but the spores look pretty similar? The "bruises" were pretty at first, ranging from pink and blue to deep purples... but as it ages/ dries it just looks like it's been beat to death.
>>
>>642231
Is the same larger donkey punched mushroom type Still waiting for the smaller gold caps to print. Only info I have on them without the print is that they are sticky and have very faint visible stripes when wet. Hollow cream colored stems with matching gills, the edges of the caps sometimes split into a v shape, they are realistically more coffee stained colored than "gold" and they grow within very close vicinity of eachother (mostly in areas with a lot of dog shit and dead grass/leaves)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.