[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whittling tips for beginner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: il_570xN.451904691_t8g9.jpg (49 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.451904691_t8g9.jpg
49 KB, 570x428
Just bought first whittling set, friend of mine has mora knives and rates them. Just a general advice thread, I would appreciate any tips. Thanks (pic related)
>>
>>639500
Take only a little away at a time.
>>
>>639500
Dont whittle your pecker
>>
>>639500
how much did you spend on that set? i want the same
>>
Whittle away from yourself.
>>
>>639538
40 pounds plus a little postage. Bought from a guy on Etsy. Works out roughly the same to buy the two separate. I prefer etsy to large companies and the bloke ships all over the world
>>
>>639500
Away from your fingers, or your fingers go away.
>>
>>639597
Thanks, any tips on best timber/Wood to use?
>>
>>639621
Start with something soft.
>>
>>639621
Birch
>>
>>639621
Poplar
>>
>>639597
but not away from your body, controlled pulling cuts toward your body are good for removing small amounts of material.
>>
Are you good at visualizing?

Start with a big piece and picture it like you are cutting away all the excess wood to get to your actual work. Slow and steady.

Also practice a lot. Its an art that you will get better at.
>>
>>639500
Down the river, not across the stream.
>>
Do you guys do anything to finalize it?

Aka sanding, varnish, etc?
>>
>>639500
Practice on basswood. Carving realistic eyes takes a lot of practice - sit down with a block and practice making eyes repeatedly before you try to make something with a head.
>>
File: Untitled.png (15 KB, 1616x529) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15 KB, 1616x529
How do you cut corners properly? When I'm trying to round out edges I have huge issues.
>>
>>644038
you cut perpendicular to your radius until the polygonal surface is roughly near enough to the curve then sand it down to smooth.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.