[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any metal dectorists here? I am looking at used models on craigslist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
Any metal dectorists here?
I am looking at used models on craigslist and wondering if I need spend the big bucks or can get started on the cheap.
I mostly want it for gold prospecting if that matters.
Thanks.
>>
gold has a poor electrical conductivitie so you can't use cheap detectors. you won't just get a signal. I am saving up money for a Imerator Xp with wireless headphones. seperate handheld pinpointer is also must have. Here in Europe the most interessting stuff is at max.30 cm deep. I have the habit of digging every signal since i have a secound hand whites and i am building up expierience in interpreting signals.
>>
File: 1429022797306.jpg (126 KB, 758x751) Image search: [Google]
1429022797306.jpg
126 KB, 758x751
>>639428
>gold has a poor electrical conductivitie
orly
>>
i stated that fact so op doesn't think he can expect huge gold nuggets with a seben detector. The Detector in op's pic is a very good start for a rewarding hobby.
>>
>>639439
Except it is not a fucking fact. It is indeed false.
>>
>>639461
But its kind of truthy in terms of metal detectors
>>
>>639469
No, not even close.
>>
File: UXO.jpg (198 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
UXO.jpg
198 KB, 800x600
This thread is perfect timing! My nephew (12 going on 13) wants a metal detector for Xmas, so we're getting him one. Any suggestions will be thoroughly investigated as I'm rather lost on this whole thing. I also hate buying "low value" items, i.e. something that's cheep and sucks because it's cheep.

As far as I know he hasn't been metal detecting before... so this is a trial hobby thing, which makes it tricky. If we get him one that sucks he'll never use it/never want to use it/never get into it as a hobby, but if we get him one that's too nice it might go to waste.

Also any suggestions on kits/accessories would be great too. Wanna make sure he's got what he needs.
>>
>>639588
I think you are in for at least 300 american for one that will pick up anything of value.
>>
>>639678
I can handle that. But can you qualify your statement with a recommendation or some insight?
>>
File: hobby.png (224 KB, 900x390) Image search: [Google]
hobby.png
224 KB, 900x390
>>639404
>>
>>639575
yeah i made a mistake with that . Gold just doesnt respond well on detectors. In any case just spend 1000 bucks and spare yourself the expierience of digging up a 105mm wp granade.
>>
>>639588
spend money, do a little parcour on detecting, don't let your nephew go into combat areas.
>>
>>639727
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-TreasurePro-Metal-Detector-with-10-DD-Waterproof-Coil-and-Headphones-/271961223305
>>
gold prospecting is dificult at all. Here we have the goldbach....near Huertgenwald...its in a nationalpark. So if you prospect and have a shouvel with you , cops gonna rape you hard in every orifice. You lose your car, your gear , your firearm licence. You lucky guy find an AT mine....nice. You lose your freedom. So expensive gear tells you what and where to dig.....unlike chea gear wich says " DUUUUDDEE DIG!" and its 200 metres barbed wire.
>>
>>639759
In soviet russia, the gold detects YOU!
>>
>>639404
You have a better chance with a pan than a metal detector. The term the other guy was looking for is magnetic permeability. Gold is poor in that regard.
>>
>>639901
Are there any units that just pick up golds?
>>
File: U.S_pennies-1024x716.jpg (467 KB, 1024x716) Image search: [Google]
U.S_pennies-1024x716.jpg
467 KB, 1024x716
>>
>>639404
If you want to search for nuggets and flakes you need one with a pretty high frequency. Something like a Minelab GPX.
If you want to search something else just say it.
>>
>>640132
i also want to find old fishing lures
>>
>>640067
no, anything that detects gold will pick up other metals too.

Also kinda sucks but gold and iron read the same on most detectors. To make that suck even more, gold is usually found in dirt that has tons of iron.

That said, Minelab makes some very nice gold detectors. I haven't tried other brands but I expect they have some good ones too.
>>
File: IMG_4558_op_680x510.jpg (50 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4558_op_680x510.jpg
50 KB, 680x510
How long does it take for a detector to pay for itself ?
>>
Britfag here.

Could somebody explain the difference between a beach detector and a land detector?

Is there any difference in the sensitivity or is it just the way they are built, like waterproofing and stuff?

I ask because I am lucky enough to live in Cornwall which as far as I understand is the only place in the UK where a licence is not needed to detect on the beaches and need to decide whether or not to invest in a beach detector or a land detector.

>>641191

I'm pretty sure it's all luck. I was talking to two colleagues from work who got me interested in the first place. One found a gold watch and a diamond ring on two separate beaches in the first week and the other took just over a year to pay his off.
>>
>>641195
>Could somebody explain the difference between a beach detector and a land detector?
There only "land" detectors. But most detectors have a beach mode. This is because of the salt water and the sand. The mineralisation on a beach is very high and you have to balance the ground very low.
>>
beep beep bump
>>
>>641274

Thanks.

Does anybody have any experience with Viking Detectors? That's what I have been recommended to buy to start with.
>>
Detectorist here. I have a garrett ace 250, works really nice.
I live in a paradise for this hobby (zero laws, very few detectorists) but haven't do it in a while
>>
>>641195
>as far as I understand is the only place in the UK where a licence is not needed to detect on the beaches

Well that sounds like complete bullshit for a start. In Scotland you dont need any such license, but as usual you english hear about something in England and then assume it for the whole UK. Keep on spreading your misinformation, cunt.
>>
>>641191
It never will. You won't even make back the gas it takes to drive around and solicit permission to hunt on people's property. You do it for the thrill of breaking open a clod of dirt and finding a tiny silver coin staring back at you.
>>
>>642269

>as far as I understand
>understand

Understanding is not necessarily knowing. You don't have to be a dick about it.

>you English hear about something in England

Obvioosly ye ur a butthurt jock fa is still greetin' ower th' fact ye didne gie yer independence. buck aff back tae th' park bench an' shit up yer shmack an' bevvy yer irn-bru, fanny.
>>
>>642272
this.
each of my detectors has paid for itself ten times over, but I'll never get back the thousands of dollars I've spent on gas.

If a person wants to get rich metal detecting, just stick a $20 bill in a jar each day you don't go and eventually you'll be rich.
>>
>>642542
Methinks you exxagerate unless you have driven 50,000 miles on your trips
>>
>>640067
I own a gold prospecting metal detector, which uses advanced ground balancing discrimination circuitry to quickly self-adjust to eliminate ground mineralization; but it can still be used for coin and general metal detecting.
>>
>>642604
HOw much does one like that cost ?
>>
>>642597
I've been metal detecting almost every day, 8 months a year, for the last 20 years. I've driven well over 50k miles for my hobby.

and I drive a full-size pickup, usually on 4-wheel drive roads. Not exactly easy on gas.
>>
>>642780
>I've been metal detecting almost every day, 8 months a year, for the last 20 years

Do you not have a job???
>>
>>642780
How much $ worth of gold have you found in all that time?
>>
>>642786
I retired 11 years back.
>>642792
I've found about 1 ounce. Most of it is in a handful of gold rings I've found. I don't use detectors to find nuggets though. I hunt relics. Jewelry and coins and such.
>>
Maybe one of you nerds could help me out... or at least point me in the right direction.

Basically, I'm looking for a handheld GPS receiver lost in the woods.

I have two points ... One is a lat/long (Datum unknown) from a text message.
Another point is where it could have been lost. But... it could have been lost anywhere between the text message and the second point.
My understanding is these two points are about 1/4-mile away. Could be more or less depending on the datum the lat/long in the text message was sent in.

Another thing that makes it tricky, this GPS was lost about 3 years ago. I doubt it's been moved/picked up by someone else because of where it is.

Buddy's been out there a couple times to look for it and hasn't found anything.
Short of sending a team of searchers out to comb the area .... Any tricks or equipment recommendations to find something like that?
>>
>>642872
I don't really have much for that except 1/4 mile isn't that much to search if there isn't tons of undergrowth.

Just plot a search line and then walk back and forth across that line about 25 feet in either direction staring at the ground. Pay attention around rocks someone might sit on or any steep areas where a person might lose something out of a bag or pocket.
>>
>>642887
Unit was lost in the winter, over 6 feet of snow there at the time.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.