[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mountaineering discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: montblanc4.jpg (349 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
montblanc4.jpg
349 KB, 1920x1080
Anybody have any mountains they're planning to summit?

I'm doing Mt. Baker and Mt. Ellinor in Washington later this month.

Good/bad experiences? Gear?
>>
Wow, just started my reserch for this yesterday!

12k+ in miid-winter. Starting at 8k, hoping for two nights or less on the mountain.

Gonna gearfag up for this!
>>
>>639387
Grab some friends and summit for free.
Fuck guided trips on a mountain with no need for a permit. Also, it's easy enough to do in 1 night. Baker is a cakewalk.
>>
>>639387
I have medium term plans to hike mount Kilimanjaro. Really the only factor is having the free time and money to go over to Africa, the hike itself looks pretty easy. Dunno if that really counts as mountaineering though.
>>
>>639443
OP here. Yeah, they're both easy. We're not using any guides. We're gonna camp at the base and then do it in 1 day. when we finish Mt. Ellinor we're driving straight to Baker to do it, so we need some time to rest a little.
>>
>>639410
> update
> 12,686'
> start at 9k
> plan 1 night just below tree line
> summit weather permitting and down same day

QT at work says she's in, hoping to tentmate with her!
>>
File: route map.jpg (260 KB, 1119x501) Image search: [Google]
route map.jpg
260 KB, 1119x501
>>639387
Baker is a pretty straightforward walk up if you just take the Colman-Deminig/Roman Wall route, though you'll need to rope up on the glacier and have your rescue skills dialed. I was up there at the beginning of October and the glacier had retreated significantly, so be careful getting on the thing. The cracks are wide and deep, though with the recent snow they may be bridged at this point so BE CAREFUL.
>>
>>639387
Planning on mt Whitney next year. Doing regular cardio to get ready.
>>
>>639454
>>639699
This would be my only concern for hiking right now OP. We've had all that snowfall recently, and plenty more to come, so bridging is more than likely. Watch your step for sure. Otherwise, have fun. A beautiful climb.
>>
>>639909
trail, mountaineers route, or technical route?

fwiw about 7 years ago i did the hikers trail c2c in 14 hours basically off the couch with just a half gallon of water, a half gallon of oj and a bag of beef jerky. if you're even slightly /out/ and active it's really not as hard as people think. it's just fucking loooong.
>>
>>639909
>>640721
oh, and plan ahead for your permit. lottery's in feb, iirc? basically whole year's claimed then, unless you want to take your chances with getting a same day one day walk-in permit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.