[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skydiving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1446182452683.jpg (50 KB, 736x509) Image search: [Google]
1446182452683.jpg
50 KB, 736x509
Has anyone here ever tried skydiving? Just wondering what I'd need or what I should expect going into it.
>>
I did a tandem jump this summer in Mexico. Pretty neat and I'd like to do it again. Scary part was the anticipation before and just when they opened the door. The jump itself was just like falling really fast.
>>
My co-worker had over 1200 jumps and held world records. He died doing it. Many do.
>>
>>639189
Yea, but that goes for any extreme sport where you get too comfortable/cocky and try to push the limits.
>>
>>639200
Plz you don't even know the terms of his death. Here are a lot of faulty chute incidents
>>
>>639202
>According to the United States Parachuting Association, there are an estimated 3 million jumps per year, and the fatality count is only 21 (for 2010). That’s a 0.0007% chance of dying from a skydive, compared to a 0.0167% chance of dying in a car accident (based on driving 10,000 miles). In layman’s terms, you are about 24 times more likely to die in a car accident than in a skydiving one.
>>
>>639281
I guess if you roll the dice too much, death catches you.
>>
>>639186
How much did it cost?
>>
I've done what they called "Instructor-Assisted Deployment". Basically, you don't pull the chute. Your chute gets pulled the moment you leave the plane. You get only a few seconds of freefall, but that's plenty. It's actually flying the chute around that's the fun part.

You don't need to bring anything. (assuming the place you're going has parachutes) If you're doing anything other than a tandem jump, the one where you're strapped to the guy who knows what they're doing, expect to spend a lot of time training.
>>
>>639127
I love skydiving, but I never got my license. Overall I've done 3 tandems, completed AFF training and did two coach jumps. It takes 25 jumps to get your license. If you're scared before you jump out the plane it's normal. It's normal to have a little fear before jumping pretty much every single time- it's part of the rush. Oh yeah, wear a pair of tennis shoes or old running shoes. Don't wear boots or flip flops.

>>640363
This is pretty much static line. Freefall is waaaay better than the chute ride once you learn how to fly.

>>639922
Not that guy, but it depends regionally. Tandems (GET THE DAMNED VIDEO) will run you $300-500 overall depending on where you are, what you're jumping out of, if you have a cameraman, etc. I paid like $350 or my first tandem with video. It was filmed by the instructor with a wide angle lens. My wife's first tandem was filmed by a separate camera man.
>>
File: DSC00424_-L.jpg (123 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC00424_-L.jpg
123 KB, 800x533
I know a few guys who used to be big into snowmobiling... then they started skydiving. Sold their sleds, bought a chute/harness, and that's their adrenaline fix now.

I like snowmobiling, so I'm holding off on jumping out of a plane till I can't get my adrenaline on a sled (or dirt bike) anymore.
>>
>>639189
Skydiving isnt what kills you base jumping is.
>>
>>639922
270 dollarido, Playa del carmen.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.