[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Living (semi) off the land. Hey out Ive always wanted to own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1448148319451.jpg (132 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1448148319451.jpg
132 KB, 400x500
Living (semi) off the land.

Hey out

Ive always wanted to own some wild land out in nowhere, which i could use for fishing/hunting and live there during the summer. End goal being that i could live there the whole year. Right now im looking for land in sweden since im from Scandinavia. How much land do you think i would need? Any swedes know any good sites to search for this?

Found a nice plot 800km north of Goteborg for 0.55M kr which i can afford. 17 ha with a river but im not sure that there is enough farmable land.

How much farmable land do you think one person would need to live of some greens during the summer? Also how much land do you think you would need to live off it?
>>
>>638940
Farming is very work intensive, and very hard if you're doing it for subsistence. Plus in that climate the growing season is very short and you're limited on what crops you can even grow, unless you do all indoor gardening. You'll need equipment, fertilizer, good seed, water, etc. This will cost you lots of money every year. If you keep animals they can provide you some fertilizer but they're expensive to feed and care for, as well. Don't quit your day job. It's fine to have a cottage in the woods but not very realistic or easy if you want to live there all the time.
>>
You don't need much. My friend's family grows all of their own vegetables on an acre or so, and they always have so much that they give tons away.

Hunting and fishing for your meat is a nice idea, but if I had to live off of the deer I shot last deer season, I'd be hungry because I didn't get one. I've put a lot of thought into being self sufficient, and the best way would be to keep small animals like chickens and rabbits. We've evolved beyond being hunter-gatherers, there's no need to go back.

You'll also need to be there longer than a summer to produce enough food. My friend starts in the spring. Also, I'm not sure how your hunting seasons work, but here in my state, the deer season is in the fall and winter.
>>
>>639261
>muh equipment and shit
>outdoor farming
Why?

https://www.omegagarden.com/index.php?content_id=175&product_id=1
>>
>>640335
>What you need
>lamps and air cooling (One 400W; 600W; 1000W or compact fluorescent available at hydroponics supply stores)

>rock wool cubes or other root medium
>nutrient solution
>water reservoir - guidelines included with instructions
>timers - one for watering, one for lighting (optional but required to automate)
meter to measure pH, TDS, and temp

Max kek
>>
>>638940
Read some books, asking these things here means you have no clue, and you better get a clue.

John seymour has some interesting books in the subject
>>
>>638940
Honestly if you're just going to be their forna couple months in the summer having a garden of annuals isn't all that worth it.

Planting tree and bush/bramble crops of nuts and fruits is your best bet.

That and Idk if you can do that there but trying to get some milking goats seems to be useful as well.

But how cold are you talking?
>>
>>638940
more picks of that cabin or whatever you wanna call it?
>>
>>639261
Shut up and fuck off.
>>
>>642829
see >>640335

>>642574
thanks
>>642582
>Planting tree and bush/bramble crops of nuts and fruits is your best bet.

for sure

>>642582
Middle of Sweden
>>
>>642873
>>642829

Scratch that thought i posted the link. Here you go:

http://www.prairiewindarch.com/award.html
>>
>>642582
i have many hazels and black walnuts zone 4a
>>
>>644017
Get chestnuts, preferably hybrids as a carb source. Can be dried and made into a flour, it was a staple.
>>
how much are you willing to spend? im searching too, if possible in smalland, im planing on spending 2mio to get a half decent set up
>>
>>644329
>2mill

Sadly i dont have 2 million to spend on land currently. 0.6M is max what i could do now or ill wait 2 years until im out of grad school.

Smaland is amazing, would get land there if i could find a good spot/price. Everything south of vanern is fine by me (since im a dane)
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.