[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blisters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: froggy.jpg (63 KB, 550x502) Image search: [Google]
froggy.jpg
63 KB, 550x502
This my first time on this board and I'm a total newfag but do you have any unique tips on how to avoid blisters and how to best treat them?
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>638897
on hands: wear gloves

on feet: wear socks
>>
>>638898
Wool socks in particular, or apparently double socks if you've just got shitty cotton ones (I've never done it but a friend swears by it cause he's too cheap for wool).
>>
>>638902
Thanks for the real advice.
>>
>>638897
Don't wear new shoes. That's probably the biggest mistake people make, they get some high-priced hiking boot and the first time they put it on is when they're at the trailhead. I prefer old tennis shoes, but I've had good luck with skater shoes, too.
>>
If you are getting into walking long distances outdoors or wearing boots for the first time you will get blisters.

After a long enough time your feet will develop callouses and will not blister from your day to day wear.

In the mean time, or if you do a long stomp you might want to preemptively strap your feet with sports tape, or the 'second skin' type gel bandages. Do this anywhere you get 'hotspots'.

As the anons above suggested, good socks help. Usually overpriced though so shop around.
>>
If you feel a hot spot developing, stop and put some moleskin or athletic tape or something on it before it turns into a blister. If you do get blisters don't pop them unless you have to, they protect the new skin underneath. You can cut a hole in a piece of moleskin and use that to keep pressure off the blister as it heals.
>>
Wash your feet with icecold water. It hardens the skin. Air your feet and shoes when you take longer breaks. Change your socks daily/twice a day.
>>
>>638897
This is very important >>638925
I went hiking with a friend who didn't break in her boots and she lost her big toenails. Always break in your boots, opie.
>>
>>638962
>>638945
>>638925
>>638999
Thanks for the info
>>
>>638902
I'd argue for both doubling up on socks and wool socks. A light liner sock inside the wool one offers the best protection.
>>
>>638945
>or something
Duct tape. I'm sure tapes designed for the purpose work fine, but duct tape works for fucking everything, so there's no reason you shouldn't have some on you while you're /out/, at least a bit wrapped around your water bottle.

When I get a blister I pop it and then put duct tape over it until it's gone.
>>
>>638898
Make sure to have shoes that fit well. Not too loose, not to tight, no pressure points.
>>
>>638902
i only wear cotton synthetic mix usually thin ones and never had blisters on my feet
>>
>>638897
I've tried New boots, old boots, work boots, hiking boots, cowboy boots, synthetic socks, cotton socks, wool socks, long distance, and short distance. It doesn't matter. If I'm carrying a pack I'll get blisters. The only thing that works for me is athletic tape on my feet and wearing wool socks. I still mighy get 1 or 2 but nowhere near as bad as if I didn't tape.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.