[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: tent-camping-415x330.jpg (70 KB, 415x330) Image search: [Google]
tent-camping-415x330.jpg
70 KB, 415x330
Hey guys, doing some camping with my friends the next weekend (the area is safe, no bears, wolves). Truth is, i've never camped before, i made a to bring-list based on my common sense. Do i need anything else? advices please? also, how do i start a bonfire?
Also, i think its going to rain lightly

To bring list
Flashlight
Sleeping bags
camp tents
snacks
lighter
water
>>
>>638291
> area is safe
> defines safe
> no bears, no wolves
> did not google "campground murders" before leaving
> did not google "camping list" before op

Kinda hard for me to help those who won't help themselves with basic research.
>>
How are you getting to your campsite ? Drive the car up, hike in, boat, etc ? If you have transport bring a chair, blankets/ old comforter / pillows, bring toilet paper, and its dark as fuck in the woods at night so bring extra flashlights and what not.

General advice:
-avoid dead fall above your tent location
-try to make tent location as level as possible so the rain fly will work properly
-poke around where you set up your tent and remove any rocks for comfort and also so you can actually get your tent pegs in the ground
-bring garbage and zip lock bags, they take up no room and have a million uses

Your not gonna starve to death so just try to get a good nights sleep and stay hydrated.
>>
>>638303
thank you
>>
>>638303
the campsite is near of a road, so taking a bus and walking will serve us well.
ill kept in mind the rainproof advice, if nothing else, i'll just stick to the sticky
>>
>>638291
Don't forget bedding and a tarp (goes under the tent).
>>
>>638291
You may have remembered a flashlight, but you forgot to pack a fleshlight m8. Rookie error.
>>
>>638631
>put your tarp under your tent so if it rains you wake up in a bathtub
>>
Bring a reliable gun, never know if a weirdo will show up to your camp site.
>>
>>638671
>what is a rain trench
>>
>>638683
Tarp under the telt is not needed on a tent with a floor anyways.
>>
>How do I start a bonfire

I am assuming you're going to a campsite and buying the wood they sell. These will be large dry logs, so you will need to bring a hatchet or a big knife to make some kindling. Make some shavings between pinky and toothpick sized, make a small teepee or log cabin out of finger sized pieces with some dry paper or birch bark at the center, light the bottom, add small sticks and shavings, increasing in size until you have a good bed of coals. At this point you should be able to add whole logs. Cook marshmallows and weenies, enjoy, piss on fire before you hit the hay.
>>
>>638683
>Spend 1 hour digging rain trench around your tent, destroying plants and root systems, cause erosion
>wake up in muddy bathtub
>enjoy being soggy, wet and cold because some faggot told you to put a tarp under your tent
>park Ranger gives you a $250 ticket for environmental damage
>cry on /out/
>>
>>638724
topkek

Dunno why I found this board so funny but this made me laugh hard
>>
>>638693
>make a small teepee or log cabin out of finger sized pieces with some dry paper or birch bark at the center

But if the pieces are so small how will I be able to fit inside the teepee/cabin once I light the fire? Also is that not dangerous in case a spark makes it catch alight?
>>
>>638671
The tarp only goes in the footprint of the tent so the rainfly will prevent this. Also you have to set up your tent in an area that isn't perfectly level or in a ditch that will become a puddle.

>>638683
A useless waste of time like >>638724 said.

>>638690
It might not be needed, but a tarp is much cheaper to replace than a tent and the tarp will help your tent last longer.
>>
>>638762
Where does this myth come from that you wear out the bottom of your tent? I hear people say it but only people who use a ground cloth. And I have never heard a person say "I need a new tent because the floor of my old one is damaged"
>>
Go see the infographic thread. I just dumped a bunch of stuff to Imgur and posted it. I think most of the camping and 'what to bring' info graphics are in the 2nd Imgur album.
>>
>>639256
There are a ton of how to's for building fires there as well
>>
Don't use any cotton clothing.
If it gets wet you will freeze your ass off and it never dries.
bring your warmest clothes.
switch clothing when you go to sleep
always empty your bladder before going to sleep, your body takes energy to keep your piss warm.
Put your clothing in correct layers.
since this is your first time, I suggest bring extra fleece shirt and wool socks, and really warm plants, its easier to cool down than to getr warm
now i hope i used to correct words for clothing since english is my third language.
>>
File: moses-and-burning-bush.jpg (32 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
moses-and-burning-bush.jpg
32 KB, 500x291
>>639260

Aside from warm plants I think you did quite alright.
>>
>>638813
I guess it depends on where you are setting up your tent. If your on nice organic soil then it probably isn't a problem, but most of my camping is on sandy soil. That will wear down the floor after years of use and I have seen people replace tents for that reason.
>>
File: bear.jpg (73 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
73 KB, 500x705
>>638291
you'll probably be fine with just some snacks and a Fleshlight. why would you need a tent or sleeping bag?
>>
File: pizza plant.jpg (117 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
pizza plant.jpg
117 KB, 650x650
>>639260
I always pee in my Camelback before I go to sleep then bring it in my sleeping bag to keep me warm. This can also work with fecal matter but my girlfriend thinks it's gross and it doesn't stay warm nearly as long, so that part is optional
>>
>>639293
>erecting your tent on sand will ruin the floor

So many chuckles and chuckleheads here. You guise are hilarious.
>>
>>638296
All that effort for that post. Go back outside.
>>
>>639317
BRGRYLS 101: Introduction to piss.

Just bring a bottle man, what you doing pissing in your bladder?
>>
>>639312
>fleshlight
i chuckled
>>
>>638671
> not tucking it under the edge of your tent
>>
Remember to just keep dry and warm.
Extra socks, Raingear, waterproof boots

Its nice to have something warm to eat too, cooking hotdogs over a fire is literally the first camp meal anyone should ever eat.
>>
>>639938
>not using another tarp to protect your first tarps investment

It's like you aren't even autistic enough to use an unneeded groundcloth
>>
Honestly OP, your list is fine. You may want more food than just snacks is all. If you're at an established camp site, they may have a grill available. You can bring some charcoal and cook some food.

Bring a cooler full of drinks/food. Things like bread, mayo, cheese, lunch neat and you can make sandwhichs. Hot dogs are easy over a fire. You can also bring a pie iron and make mountain pies. Google them, they're really good, lots of different ways to make them.

Bring some beer if you want, although I find liquor more satisfying around a fire.

Condoms if you're bringing a girl you may end up balls deep inside.

The ground is cold and hard. Bring a sleeping mat at least. They're like $10 at walmart. You can spend more and get an inflatable matress, they are really comfortable. Walmart has twin sized ones for like $20, but they're huge and take up a lot of tent space. They make backpacking style ones that cost much more, but are light and comfy still.

If it's going to rain, make sure your tent doesn't leak. Don't touch the inside walls of the tent while it's raining, moisture can seep through when you do.

You'll need tinder to get a fire going. Dryer lint works really well. Start off with some small dry sticks and your tinder. Light it and get it going, then start to add larger and larger pieces of wood until you can throw on a log and get the fore roaring. Some cm grounds have restrictions on fires. Most established campgrounds have fire rings to use, and you'll need to buy wood off them. 3 big bundles of wood will last a few hours. Campgrounds usually sell them in bundles for like $6-$10.
>>
>>639260
>switch clothing when you go to sleep
why tho?
when i still slept out a lot i never changed clothes while out there. took off the boots and outer shell and that's it... you will be fine for days.
>>
>>640775
This is more about the oils and dirt on your clothing breaking down the loft in your sleeping bag than anything, but a lot of people tend to wear cotton during the day, so they need to change anyway.

If you wear synthetics and wool, and use a bag liner, it really won't matter.
>>
File: B7jzY_xCUAA-h1S.jpg (58 KB, 600x585) Image search: [Google]
B7jzY_xCUAA-h1S.jpg
58 KB, 600x585
>>638291
despite what the local campground will yell you, using the river as a washroom is better for the environment than using an outhouse. the phagocytes that exist in your feces emulsifies with water creating pure h2o.

campgrounds are a haven for criminals and other degenerates evading the law. as a former bounty hunter ive lived in campgrounds over 200 days a year on stakeouts. the most common type of criminal that stays at a campground is the rapist, the animal and human kind. the least desirable animal to sexually abuse is the purcupine(for obvious reasons), so by dressing up as gene simmons from KISS you should never have to deal with sexual abuse the entire trip.

>pic related
this costume also comes with a cutting tool, an essential part of the 5Cs and is great for fending off would be murderers and rapists.
>>
File: 1376599106138.jpg (39 KB, 960x634) Image search: [Google]
1376599106138.jpg
39 KB, 960x634
>>639317

>tfw even the guy who sleeps clutching a bag of piss and shit in the woods has a gf
>>
>>641296
;__;

iktfb
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.