[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 20
File: maxresdefault.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
Does /out/ mountain bike?

If so, where do you ride? What do you ride?

>Northeast: CT, Catskills, Adirondacks, Green Mtns, White Mtns
>2014 Giant Trance X2 27.5
>>
File: 01.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
01.png
1 MB, 1440x900
I mountian bike. Mostly around state parks in Central MA, but I've boke around the White Mtns a bit and some mountain trails in Australia.

I used to have a Trek 3500 but currently am riding my old Trek 820 because I had to move and now I'm a poorfag
>>
Mountain biking is my life, I've got a 2014 kona mahuna hardtail, work great just waiting till I can afford a full suspension trail bike.
>>
Minnesota and Utah
Cannondale Moto 3
>>>/n/
>>>/asp/
>>
>>638239

I ride my bike in the city, but mountain biking doesn't seem too environmentally-friendly.
>>
>>638239
Have a 2003 Kona Nunu, and usually ride in NE Scotland

However staying down in SE England now and thinking of getting a new bike.
>>
>>638239
kross level a6 2013
i mostly ride in he local woods
>>
File: gnarnia.jpg (4 MB, 2880x2160) Image search: [Google]
gnarnia.jpg
4 MB, 2880x2160
Alberta and BC, You know your riding the good stuff when hikers are telling you stuff isn't ride-able.
Steel Hardtail 4lyfe
>>
>>638239
Bavarian Forest. Hardtail
>>
My neighbor gave me a 2005 Norco Bigfoot for helping him move. I haven't really gotten a chance to ride it, are they any good?
>>
>>640315
Just googled it, they look pretty good m8, you should get out and give it a try!
>>
>>640317
Yeah, weathers getting cold where I am, so it'll have to be soon. Only issue is it has big tires so thing sounds like a fucking tank when I rode it in the city, and it feels like I'm trying to pedal a tank too.

The tires were both flat/punctured when I got it so I changed the tubes myself which I have never done before. Rides nice regardless though. Just need to find some trails near me.
>>
File: XL250s.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2241) Image search: [Google]
XL250s.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2241
Does it count if I have a motor on my bike?
>>
>>640401
I might be a little jelly of that bike.
>>
>>640403
Don't be, the carb is always giving me hell. I gotta go through it again tomorrow because it starts bogging down at half throttle no matter what gear I'm in, and I can only get 55mph out of it right now.

I'll admit it was 1000 bucks well spent though.
>>
>>640423
Fix that bitch properly and never sell it
>>
>>640449
That is the plan, yes. I have everything else up to snuff, just gotta get this fucking carb adjusted right. It's a bit of a trial-and-error system right now. I'll also probably try to find a new exhaust system for it that isn't all rusty but that's not a huge issue for now

Either way as it stands it's a great road legal shitbike
>>
Can you guys help me out with a general bike question? I just bought a used road bike, making my transition from casual biking to something a little more athletic, and beyond the average wear and tear on the drive train and cassette, whenever im going down hill, my pedals will just sort of spin no matter how fast I pedal or what gear i'm in, and I wont gain any speed or physically move the wheels, they just sort of free spin with no movement of the tires. Is there a reason for this, and how can I fix it?
>>
>>640789
Like your freehub is sticking and moving the chain and then the crank or you pedals are spinning?
>>
>>640794
my pedals are spinning, but its like the effect of pedaling backwards, the chain moves yet no forward movement beyond the gravity is achieved
>>
>>638239
Hey Trance bro! I ride western MA / Upstate NY mostly. Berkshire East (ski mountain) opened up downhill built by Gravity Logic so I've been hitting that as well, the trance handled it decently
>>
File: DSC_5408-L.jpg (74 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5408-L.jpg
74 KB, 800x534
>>640401
mah nigga
>>
I'm looking into getting a bike - I just moved to a new house right next to a huge park with a really nice trail that runs through a forest next to the ocean. It'd be a crime not to.

Any recommendations on where to find a used mountain bike and what to look for? I had one when I was a kid, this'll be my first adult bike.
>>
File: DSCF0438.jpg (635 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0438.jpg
635 KB, 1600x1200
>>640829
That sounds like the freehub is either sticking due to not being greased or the pawls are broken and it's trashed. If you know how to take the cassette off you can sometimes free them up by shooting a solvent into the freehub body, letting it dry, then shoot spray canned white grease into it. This is a spare one for my X9 hub. I bike in the winter and it's hard on them so I get spares.
>>
>>641063
I'm a giant / santa cruz fan, see if your local bike shop sells used. if the trails are pretty smooth you only really need front suspension
>>
stay on your fucking trails you cunts
I'm tired of seeing you in the middle of the woods breaking shit
>>
>>641178
You only really need front suspension, period (if even that). Beginners should stick with hardtails so they actually learn proper technique and how to pick a line.
>>
>>641070
I use oil (motor oil or something a bit thicker, like chainsaw bar oil or Phil Wood Tenacious Oil) not grease. Easier to get in there and thick grease can make the pawls stick too, especially in winter.

The bearings aren't under load when you're coasting so you don't need a heavy duty lubricant.
>>
>>641753
I don't know why you quoted me. If you want to do it correctly and not half assed, like using oil, then use grease. Even Park Tools do it yourself explanations say to clean and use grease. If you want to troll someone go to /b/
>>
File: barnetts.jpg (144 KB, 842x777) Image search: [Google]
barnetts.jpg
144 KB, 842x777
>>641780
>I don't know why you quoted me
I was responding to your post. Why do you think I quoted you?

> If you want to do it correctly and not half assed, like using oil, then use grease. Even Park Tools do it yourself explanations say to clean and use grease.

Park makes consumer grade tools, they don't make freehubs. Barnett's Manual is the authority and it says to use oil, not grease. Lennard Zinn agrees:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2006/08/bikes-and-tech/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-wheels-grease-oil-and-a-chunk-of-chain_10783

"Dear Derek,
You’re right to be concerned about grease. Never put grease in a freehub,except perhaps ones without standard pawls, like an American Classic ora Hügi (DT) with a star ratchet. You are asking to land on your nose.Just use light oil. Yes, the clicks will be loud.
Lennard"

and more of the same on the rest of the page.

> If you want to troll someone go to /b/
If you want to shoot your mouth off you should check your facts first or you make yourself look dumb. I've been fixing up old bikes since I was 9, I know what I'm talking about.
>>
File: DSCF0443.jpg (616 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0443.jpg
616 KB, 1200x1600
>>641803
>Parks Big Blue Book
>Allen wrenches to remove freehubs
>Freehub
I actually work on bikes. You're just a cut and paste screen grabber.
>>
File: IMG_7864.jpg (340 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7864.jpg
340 KB, 1000x750
>>641849
I've been working on bikes for 35 years. I see your toothpaste tube and raise you a grease gun, a messy toolbox. 2 freewheel removers and a tool for working on cup and cone bottom brackets.

>Parks Big Blue Book
So you still need a hard copy manual in the shop, and you're actually citing that one to someone who cited Barnetts to you? Please go away.
>>
File: 2015 - 1.jpg (133 KB, 611x814) Image search: [Google]
2015 - 1.jpg
133 KB, 611x814
>>638239
>>
>>641965
I'm not that guy but you come off as a dick.
>>
>>642263
>I'm not that guy but you come off as a dick.
I know I do but I don't care, because I'm objectively correct with authorotative citations, and the other guy in his arrogant ignorance is telling >>640789 to do something potentially dertimental to his bike.
>>
File: socom.jpg (633 KB, 1600x967) Image search: [Google]
socom.jpg
633 KB, 1600x967
My bike:

08/09 socom
11 fox 36 van 180 RC2 fit
11 CCDB Ti
Mavic 823's ran tubeless
>>
File: 1422338864475.png (51 KB, 457x496) Image search: [Google]
1422338864475.png
51 KB, 457x496
>>642533
>>641965

cunt detected
>>
>>642627
Those welds are hideous
>>
File: 1405433335064.jpg (262 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1405433335064.jpg
262 KB, 960x960
>>638239
>tfw want to start mountainbiking
>no money, no confidence
>finally enough money and confidence
>get an entry-level hardtail
>shit's so cash
>upgrade into full-suspension enduro rig
>suddenly all trails in 8 mile radius fucked and raped by logging companies
oh well...
>>
>>644140
What bikes did you buy mate?

Other than a helmet what protection/gear do you recommend?
>>
File: jamis dakar team.jpg (485 KB, 1499x1124) Image search: [Google]
jamis dakar team.jpg
485 KB, 1499x1124
Western NJ and Upstate/ Western NY
1996 Jamis Dakar Team

this bike has seen a lot of hard miles
I think the only original parts by now are the cranks arms, frame, headset, seatpost, rear air shock (it's been overhauled), and cantilever brakes.
>>
>>644140
Life, eh?
>>
I don't have the actual picture of my bike (Carrera Banshee X) but it is the same bike I use for biking in the Scottish Highlands. Anyone willing to rate a newfags bike choice?
>>
>>645800
how much did you pay?
>>
File: IMG_20151215_103406.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_103406.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>645800
>>
>>647398
If I remember I got it on a deal at £599 when they were worth quite a bit more.
>>
>>640177
>mountain biking doesn't seem too environmentally-friendly
wat?
>>
>>640177
I literally can't even
>>
So realtalk, anyone tried both the MET parachute and the Bell super 2r, I live in australia and itss 35 degrees frequently where I ride, anyone got an opinion on these as internet is divided asfuck
>>
I'm planning on circling all around Iceland on a bike. What's my best bet? I'm hoping to snag something decent during the holiday sale, but I don't really know what to look for.
>>
>>640177

Exactly. These assholes just show up and shave trails, worsen erosion, and literally never yield as they are supposed to.
>>
>>654026
Yeah but every hiker ever always rides their horse through the mud leaving postholes and comes back on an ATV leaving wheel ruts, plus they never pick up after their dogs or their children or themselves, plus if they camp out they invariably start a forest fire if not several, so it all evens out.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 1024x683
Hey /mtb/,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Love the threads, but can you guys help me out? I recently found this sport this summer when I lived out west. I enjoyed it to it's fullest, but moved to Wisconsin and haven't had any mtb stimulation since. What do you guys do in the off season? I'm slowly rebuilding a old bike I found on Craigslist, but have trouble staying in a leaner shape (all lift, no cardio). Maybe it's just the holidays but how do you stay in shape for the season?

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice to condition myself better and wondering what you guys do in this off season to prepare for the first decent of the season.
>>
As soon as i track down a pic related i am going to hit some local trails
>>
>>649846
I have the Bell. It's a good helmet slightly smaller than the original super. I live in Florida so it's anyways hot. I use the full face when doing big drops our gaps.
>>
>>655699
You live in Wisconsin there is no decent. Far bike at winman if you are close.
>>
>>638261
>boke
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.