[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the GOAT outdoor brand and why is it Coghlan's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 741x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 741x222
What is the GOAT outdoor brand and why is it Coghlan's?
>>
>>638072

I love that stuff. I have a coghlans folding shovel that's about 15 years old.
>>
File: 1160.jpg (931 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
1160.jpg
931 KB, 1800x1800
>>638072

ITT: post cringy Coghlans gear
>>
File: 1354853088855.jpg (94 KB, 555x550) Image search: [Google]
1354853088855.jpg
94 KB, 555x550
>Mfw when /k/ chooses Coleman over Coghlan's.
>>
>>638129

W-why's that cringe-worthy, senpai?
>>
>>638144

Because for $10 more you can get a quality hatchet made with real steel and American hickory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_EoTTcdJE
>>
>>638146
that still doesn't make it cringy. i wouldn't personally recommend it but when you need gear for the next day or your just trying out camping or whatever to see if you like it, its adequate piece of kit.
>>
File: 0036.jpg (891 KB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
0036.jpg
891 KB, 1800x1800
>>638129
>ITT: post cringy Coghlans gear
Done and done
>>
File: 624full-dick-proenneke.jpg.png (879 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
624full-dick-proenneke.jpg.png
879 KB, 624x480
>>638072
>buying camping toys
>>
>>638187
that's actually useful though. you can attach bottles to your pack with that.
>>
>>638191

Who's the old dyel?
>>
>>638201
name.jpg
Check out this https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3jQi-AsNnWVXzBjbFNWdzBkdXc&usp=drive_web someone posted some stuff from him a few weeks ago
>>
File: 1382641981330.jpg (9 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
1382641981330.jpg
9 KB, 252x252
>>638203

>Proenneke collection
>>
File: 71ycwHc3rsL._SX355_.jpg (34 KB, 355x335) Image search: [Google]
71ycwHc3rsL._SX355_.jpg
34 KB, 355x335
Coghlan's is roughly equal to Coleman except it's way more fun, which makes for better camp memories for the kids and such. Viva Coghlan's!
>>
>>638191
Post your handbuilt log cabin in the remote north woods, anon.

Go on.
>>
File: Coghlans hammock.jpg (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Coghlans hammock.jpg
97 KB, 600x600
does anyone know if their hammocks are any good?
>>
>>638686
i've looked into this little hammy before. reviews seem to be fine. i've owned similar ones as a kid and they were fine. that kind of mini mesh hammock isn't great for sleeping, but it's fine for resting in. i wanted it as a supplementary hammock to hang along with my real camping hammock so i could store my pack and other things on it. i love how it rolls-up to the size of a baseball and is super light. i don't love how it's white nylon because muh rogue camping. for $10 or whatever i think it's great value.
>>
>>638689
i see thanks, its size makes it really appealing. but i was considering it for sleeping in
>>
>>638716
>i was considering it for sleeping in
napping, sure. overnight, no way bro. i wouldn't recommend it.

https://youtu.be/0rUMa8bFbqo
>>
>>638191
Thats MGTOW Dick. Is this your first day /out/?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
They carry it all
>>
>>638302
Me >>638191 I would, but my friends got drunk in it and burned it down in the middle 1990s. That kind of took the piss out of the whole thing. Here's the only photos of the area. On the right is the old bridge that crossed over to it on that knoll. Pics were taken about 10 years ago. The left pic shows the knoll the cabin was built on and a pile of unused logs that had been stacked a short distance away. Those were to be used for the outhouse.

God damn it anon, now I'm nostalgic as fuck.

>image retry
>>
>>639434
i-is this near the ledge?
>>
>>639437
Yes.
>>
>>639436
>>639437
>>
File: IMGP4590.jpg (319 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
IMGP4590.jpg
319 KB, 1000x662
>>639440
aw shit i'm good! i guess i just recognized the landscape a bit. glad you got so much use ouf of the land. i made a sort of lean-to cabin in my woods once (right where i still camp too) but i never got any pics and iall the remnants are long gone now. every day after school from oct-nov i'd go out in the woods and work on it... this was legit 20 years ago though. pic is the 4 birch trees i built it at - that used to be the doorway
>>
>>639453
btw that stick has nothing to do with my fort or the story, i just left my walking/pokin stick out in the rain and it got warped so i stuck between the tree trunks for a couple weeks to bend it back into shape is all
>>
>>639453
Wait, I'm not that person. but there is a ledge just out of frame in those pics. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm the person that was collecting stone for building a foundation later on for a cottage, using a stone boat. Alas, the local bridge washed out and I can't cross the river easily.
>>
>>639467
ooooh i see. haha sorry bout the mixup. too bad about your project though, tough times.
>>
>>639478
Eh, well I'm in my own home that I built and it is cozy. FYI, don't build your own home if you are lazy. lol
>>
>>638187
I bet you at the end of the hike that's the guy who's laughing though.

Anyway Coghlans is for me the stuff that'll be stocked in that last gas station before I'm into wilderness. It's pretty reliable stuff usually and does the job it needs to do. So I can't complain.

I actually prefer 'Woods' products though. I've had a couple of sleeping bags, a tent, a packable duffle, and they've lasted very well for me. They've been around in some form since 1885 and Hemingway used to use their shit. Can't say quality is exceptional these days... It's all made in china too. But it is pretty reliable and at a reasonable price
>>
>>638072
Literally never heard of them.
>>
>>638072
>GOAT
>Coghlan's

Maybe if you're not getting much for a weekly allowance.
>>
File: foranon.jpg (66 KB, 1162x578) Image search: [Google]
foranon.jpg
66 KB, 1162x578
>>640492
still worth it †bh ƒam
>>
>>640505
You're implying I pay a lot more for better quality equipment.

You don't have to move the margins very far to get a better product than Coghlan's.
>>
>>638138
>tfw at least half my gear is Coleman
Its really not that bad though.
>>
>>638730
Dick was not a MGTOW. Dick would laugh at MGTOWs. Stop calling Dick a MGTOW.
>>
>>640541
Well, there's the whole gender aspect, there's the M; he kinda did go his own way, into the nowhere of Alaska, and built his own cabin... not seeing the nomenclature problem here.
>>
I have an old coghlans folding saw, as flimsy as it it is its done the job tremendously well for 15 years, I've had a Bahco Laplander saw in my amazon wishlist for years now waiting for it to break and never needed to purchase it. I'd just get another Coghlans.

Other coghlans gear:
Fero-rod
Laundry bag
web straps
spess blenkit
spare compass
2 compression sacks
shit hole trowel
waterproof match tube

DONT BUY
weatherproof matches
fork/knife monster
>>
>>638072
head net to keep out bugs is amazing. their bug mesh pants and shirt are highly reviewed too.
>>
Coghlan's and Coleman are the outdoor brands of my youth. I spent countless hours night fishing by the warm glow of a coleman propane lantern. I cant remember but could almost guarantee the first tent I ever slept in was a coleman. I have owned many pieces of Coghlins gear over the years. Even today I have a few pieces of Coghlins in my kit (emergency whistle, waterproof match container, head net, and small dynamo flashlight). I still get nostalgia when I see an aisle full of that green and yellow packaging.
One of the few pieces of gear I have kept over the years is my coghlins candle lantern. I havent used it in probably 20 years, but I will never get rid of it. The little lantern sets on a bookshelf, more decoration than gear. Sometimes it will catch my eye and the memories of my childhood days /out/ will coming flooding in.
That imho makes Coghlins and Coleman GOAT outdoor companies.
>>
>>638199
>>639795
Or you know, just own a real water bottle, and then having a "carrier" isn't an issue.

You can just clip it on to your belt or backpack, and you arent shitting up the environment with goddamn plastic water bottles.
>>
>>640682
>>
>>640546
Semantic sophistry. He was a bachelor but he wasn't a misogynist (which is the root of MGTOW faggotry whatever they might say to the contrary), he wasn't socially and sexually insecure (he just liked solitude), he had a spare bed in his cabin, he enjoyed female company, he regularly went to town and sometimes had pussy flown in.
>>
>>640608
this. i bought the headnet and loved it, so i bought the whole jacket. it completely changes my quality of life for certain activities - especially when i'm stuck out in some godforsaken swamp doing a recording or photogging
>>
Only buy what you can't make. That includes making axes, knives, etc.
>>
>>640780
someone buy this anon a quality post then :^)
>>
>>638187
What's the issue? If its a short hike you only need this instead of a pack to hold your water.
>>
>>638187
>>640795
this thing could also be used to hold/carry a number of things. it's actually just plain handy. for $4 it's a real can't-go-wrong
>>
File: touche.gif (1 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
touche.gif
1 MB, 500x278
>>640784
>>
>>640780
Division of labor and economies of scale ringing any bells ?
>>
>>638072
If by GOAT you mean ubiquitous cheap crap, then yes, that described Coghlan's quite well.
>>
>>638224
I have one of these and it's been used at least 4 or 5 /out/ings every year for the last 26 years.

>>638686
I have one of these too. Not the most comfortable, but super compact. As durable as you'd expect for the price.

>>640595
>shit hole trowel
Don't you know about streams or geocaches?
>>
>>638138
>there are people in this thread right now that prefer coglans over coleman.
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>640860
at least Coghlan's isn't overpriced
>>
File: shit anon buys.jpg (58 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
shit anon buys.jpg
58 KB, 1000x750
>>640825
I've never found something that was better than what I made myself.
>>
>>638072
hmm should just buy one of everything and toss it in a tub
>>
>>640963
nigga check their online catalogue. you won't find a tub that could hold one of everything
>>
>>640971
oh gee, guess I'll just buy some of their bells for my goats then

nigga
>>
>>640959
Thanks for shit posting and trolling and helping to ruin this board faggot.
>>
>>640860
Coghlan's at least has backpack worthy stuff. Most Coleman stuff is like aimed at car camping, which isn't necessarily bad but if your car camping you don't need specialty gear anyways.
>>
>>640977
kracka i bet if you actually wanted to buy one everything they'd be happy to provide you with some sort of tub or receptacle. you should give them a call
>>
>>640959
I make most of my own gear as well. I don't know if it's all better than commercial gear, but getting to customize weight, size and materials gets me exactly what I'm looking for, for a tiny fraction of what it would cost me otherwise.
>>
>>640986
It isn't trolling. The OP is the one trolling. You need good gear, not crap. Stop deluding yourself and making yourself into a consumer whore.
>>
>>640994
Do you even know what Coghlan's sells ? Your telling me you make your Carabiners, matches, ferrocerium rods, glow sticks, plastic containers...
>>
>>640996
ok brah let me stop by your paper mill sometime and check out your homemade toilet paper.
>>
>>640994
ok, whip me up a lantern mantle and a white gas fuel funnel faggot
>>
>>640999
Why would you bring toilet paper camping?
>>
>>641161
why wouldn't you ? it serves multiple purposes and has very low weight and pack space. Do ultra lighters not bring TP ? Remind me not shake hands with those guys...
>>
>>641479
they usually don't bring food either, so tissue isn't an issue
>>
>>641480
Same.

>>641479
I wash my hands. Don't you? Have you ever used a bidet? The river or stream is much the same.
>>
>>641501
>Have you ever used a bidet? The river or stream is much the same.
its not. and I know its real big meme on here but seriously putting fecal matter directly into the water supply is the dumbest thing you can do.
>>
>>640847
>cheap
>ubiquitous
>easily replaced
>wide variety of products
just because it isn't a gorillion dollars and made out of some exotic material doesn't make it any less useful. It works, and if it doesn't, you won't be paying out the ass to replace it.
>>
>outdoors brand
>it's not Swedish

into the trash it goes
>>
>>641504
Animals do it all the time as well as humans.
>>
>>641721
>>641504
https://youtu.be/byVrloNIcKQ
>>
>>641721
yeah and places where humans do it are the places where other parasites, bacteria, protozoa, and viral infections are common every day issues meanwhile people in countries like the USA don't even worry about because guess what, we don't fucking shit in the water supply.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.