[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Machete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3612x2376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3612x2376
Is it worth getting a machete like this?
>>
>>637953
Yes. If you are the prop casting director in the next Rambo movie production.

If, No, then I would say don't buy anon. Your money could be spent on so much more, like a haircut, and stylish clothes that will help you get laid the next time you're visiting the milkbar.
>>
>>637953
it's oddly shaped, looks too balanced for a machete
>>
>>637953
wtf its a sword
>>
>>637955
>prop casting director

I know what you mean, but still. Kek.
>>
I like Kershaw and I like pic related, but all my machetes are from Condor in El Salvador, which means "The Savior", so you know...
>>
File: tt4014.jpg (1 MB, 3300x2200) Image search: [Google]
tt4014.jpg
1 MB, 3300x2200
>>637953

get this one
>>
>>637953
That's not a machete, it's a scimitar.
>>
>>637953
haha dat plastic handle will end broke after the first serious slash.
>>
>>638029

I've had one of those, broke the blade way before the handle.
>>
File: 1447350213943.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1447350213943.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2592
>>637953

No
>>
>>637953
Go ahead and buy it. If you don't like it, sell it and buy a new one.
>>
>>637953

Kershaw makes solid knives but not so sure about this thing. Anyone here have experience with it?
>>
>>637953
what do you want to use it for? how much you pay for it? i have an 18" machete i will most likely never use so why not?

the thing is with the traditional machete how you use it is not grip and hack so rubber handles for machete work inherently suck. i would buy a real south american style machete that you can use like it was intended to not a re-imagined piece of crap. even if the blade is good on that one the handle will kill it.
>>
>>638070
gtfo with your kitchen knives
>>
>>637953
>short blade
>that handle
What would you use it for?

>>638027
It's a großmesser, if we're getting into that kind of classification.

>>638008
Blade design is nice but in the year 2015 there's no reason to not use a synthetic handle.

>>638070
Looks like something more designed for the role of a bowie than a machete.
>>
File: PICT0018.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PICT0018.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>638294
no you dipshit this is a grossmesser
it's about 3 times as big as op pic and has a cross guard
>>
>>638294

>That shit is a großmesser

>in the year 2015 there's no reason to not use a synthetic handle.

>Busse Basic 11 looks like something more designed for the role of a bowie than a machete.

Wow you have no fucking clue about anything at all.

What a massive faggot.
>>
>>637953
Reverse image search says its a Kershaw Camp 10 that MSRPs at $69. Its not worth $69, no machete is worth $69. If you want a camp knife I guess it might be worth it, but its not a machete.

If you want a machete and want a short one then look at Tramontina, Marbles/Imcasa, or even ColdSteel (who surprisingly does good machetes).

Basic rule of thumb for Machetes, like >>638079 said, is look for South or Central American makes. It should be carbon steel and not have really thick (1/4") blade. You will need to sharpen it and fairly often touch it up.

What are your plans for the machete? What Biome are you taking it /out/ to?
>>
File: machete-55-cm-truper.jpg (25 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
machete-55-cm-truper.jpg
25 KB, 1000x1000
Just buy one from the hardware store. Those are the best ones
>>
>>639114
Honestly, this is true in general. What you get will be sturdy, good quality, and cheap enough that you don't feel the need to baby it so you can get some actual proper use out of it.
>>
>>639114
The sad and hilarious thing is that in my area the bigbox stores either sell made in china crap or expensive sog/gerber/kbar/etc crap that is still made in china. I'm right on the border with mexico and no one carries your basic made in latin america machete
>>
>>639091
if it's a 10" then it's not a machete more like a kukri alternative without the traditional kukri shape.
i have seen big knives used to good effect with the right technique but the handle looks awful still and the blade is not convincing to me either. basically wouldn't buy this one. a big knife is not high prio on my list all around either.
>>
>>639114
This.
>>
>>639114
It's true, or at garage sales.
>>
>>639114
A machete and big knives are not the same thing. Although big knives are typically marketed as machetes they have different steels, thicknesses, geometries, and lengths.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_055427-1.jpg (329 KB, 1971x1366) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_055427-1.jpg
329 KB, 1971x1366
>>639114
>>639976
>>639152
>>640212
>>639115

So not true. If you want a piece of shitty sheet metal with a handle you can call "best", do it.

If you want a true, balenced, lasting proper tool, buy for a Central American company that makes all traditional and contemporary worldwide styles from quality steel.

> reCapcha: select all palmtrees, lol
>>
>>640421
maybe if you're on an expedition through the amazon jungle, but for 99% of the general population's purposes a machete from Home Depot is plenty good enough
>>
>>641118
> I would hate to be you

Is your g/f a second rate compromise, too?

Was she that easy to justify, too?

Sad.
>>
>>637953
It's not worth getting a machete in the first place unless you live in the jungle.
>>
>>641138
Is EVERYTHING in your life about need?

Is there NOTHING you own just because you want it?

If you say yes to both questions, you are a liar.
>>
>>637953
I've heard nothing but good things about kershaw machetes. No surprise that a bunch of anons on /out/ have a problem with them.

Op I would recommend you get something similar that's cheaper just to see how you like working with it. If you like it, upgrade to the kershaw.

My dad and his siblings grew up using machetes every day (Ugandan jungles and rain forests). They had many different makes of machetes but the conclusion my dad and one of my uncles came to was that tramontina machetes were the best. Considering that tramontinas are made for the jungle/rainforest environment it makes sense that they feel that way.

I was taught to use a machete at a young age and still use my dad's old one today, but the 2 of the most important things my dad taught me was using the right tool for the job and what tool to use if the right tool wasn't available. We live in the northern part of the US so my dad and I learned about axes and hatchets together. My suggestion is to look at where you plan on going, then look at the tools suggested for that location, then find a machete that would be well suited for that location.

Lastly, learn how to use a machete. We all have to start somewhere and there's no shame in learning how to use a tool properly.
>>
>>641138
i got my machete to have it in the car in case i get stuck
you can chop up some vegetation throw it under the tires and get out
i had to use it once a parking car blocked a road it was either chopping some bush or get my paint scratched up or get stuck there until the asshole finds his way back
>>
>>641146
This is a good point.

Machete's are cool.

Anon I dont know how to say this but you have opened doors I never even perceived available to me.

I have learned to want.

Its got a nice ring to it.

To want.
>>
>>639091
>>639180
I've heard people on this board say anything over 12 in. isn't necessary. Any truth to that?
>>
>>641430
"necessary" is a silly word. Technically, you could use 1" for faggy batoning shenanigans, if you were to apply maximum skill and effort for minimal effect. 18" is the easiest and most effective, more or less.
>>
File: man-with-machete.jpg (291 KB, 640x422) Image search: [Google]
man-with-machete.jpg
291 KB, 640x422
>>641430

It depends on what you're doing and personal preference. I like 14in lightweight machetes like >>638008 for general plant whacking where you might be chopping down grass or hacking through branches, but it might not be the ideal choice for one or the other.
>>
>>641430
nah it comes down to your environment. if you have to clear a path through brambles for example, your not going to be like golly gee I wish this was only 12 min long.
>>
>>641432
>18"
Personally I like 24", extra reach and weight lets you tackle bigger or thornier jobs with less fuss.

Flip side is your arm will get tired quicker and its a bit more troublesome to pack.

On that note, though I like the 24" tramontina, my typical camping/pack machete is a cheap carbon steel chinese machete that I took a cut-off disk to and made 12". Left the new blade tip flat and cut a small hook in the back of the blade, so it looks like a long and narrow cane knife.

It takes more effort to cut harder stuff and has less stand-off when making holes in mesquite thickets but its a lot easier to tote; sharpening is easier too as there's no round portion to worry about. I'm thinking of giving the blade tip a steep but blunt chisel grind so I can use it as a ghetto shovel if need be. Also need to put new grip scales on it, the shit wood ones have cracked.

OP, given the fucking low cost of tool grade machetes go to a swap-meet/yard sale/store and buy a 18" CHEAP machete (<$6) and a cheap cut-off grinder or other metal cutting tool. Use the machete some then modify it bit by bit until you find a length and profile that you like. Think about how often you had to sharpen it or how much of a pain in the ass it was to sharpen. Based off of those things you will have guidelines when you buy yourself you "perfect" machete, with the perfect profile, in the perfect length, made of the the perfect grade of steel, with the perfect hardness.

Then you will have 2 machetes! and be the envy of every 3rd world genocidal tribesman from the Congo to Malaysia!
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.