[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zzz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Hey /out/ wanna rate my gear?
Ive taken it on a couple overnights, but I want input to what I could adjust to make my pack a bit better. A few things I am going to add from the experience I had on the over nights.
-even though I live in FL I still need some kind of insulation in my hammock. I'm thinking an under quilt or some type of blanket. I'd rather just bring my picnic blanket cause it's one side fleece and the other is waterproof.
-Yo-Yo mechanical fishers and speedhooks.
-Gaiters.
-Maybe a Firebox but I'm still on the fence on this one.
Not pictured:
Rothco Waterbottle Carrier
Stanley Headlamp 3xaaa

I'm not going to list this kit in any particular order:
- IFAK (R.A.T. Maxpedition Wallet)
- Tool Kit (Ferrorod-Lighter-Lighting-Whistle-Riteinrain-Watch-Boker Oilpen-Sharpie-Compass-DC4-Thermometer)
- Tarp in Drybag
- Maxpedition Rollypolly Extreme Backpack
- Gtg Fatboy (Once I break camp I like to go light when I'm hunting/fishing)
- Woolrich Safari hat
- GSI SS cup
- Merino gloves
- 3 emergency ration rice packs
- Blue Desert Hydration system for SS Guyot Nalgene
- Nalgene Guyot SS 38oz.
- Guyot SS 32 oz.
- Frogg Toggs Light Poncho wrapped in Bungicord
- Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock
- Rope
- Two Point Sling
- Bahco Folding Saw
- Bk16 in leather pocket sheath
- Bk14 & Flashlight in leather pocket sheath

I plan on buying a Ruger GP100 in .357 and a Ruger 77/357 for woods use. This is in February. At the same time I'm going to buy a Vepr in 7.62x54r but this will be too heavy for anything more than 3 day trips.
>>
File: image.jpg (978 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
978 KB, 2592x1936
Total weight with water topped off (little over 4 lbs). I have extra wool socks and undershirts but I'm still designing how to add them.
>>
>tfw no reply
>>
>>637784
idk what you want me to say i don't personally have any of the gear you have and i don't live or out in a place like florida at all.

seems like you have a nice stainless steel cook / container set. your knives seem adequate.
>>
>>637787
Well more so any things you see that may make my pack better. I've used all my gear a lot. I just wanna see people thoughts. Thanks for the compliment on my SS. Combining my water container and my bladder saved space.
>>
>>637652
Might I inquire why exactly would you get a vepr? What do you plan to do with it? If you're going target shooting innawoods, you'll weigh yourself down with ammo. If you're hunting, there's far better choices. If you're set on the vepr, more power to you, enjoy your rifle. I'm just curious if you're still around. Been meaning to get a psl, but could never justify it enough to actually put money down on it.
>>
54r is about the same price as 308 nowadays.
>>
>>637652
Things I'd recommend leaving at home:
SS bottles (replace with plastic)
Thermometer
Drybag for a tarp
Emergency rations
Bungee cord
Ferrorod
Water bottle carrier
One of the knives
Flashlight (you've already go a headlamp)
Maxpedition wallet

Things I'm not sure if I'd get rid of b/c I'm not sure what you'd use them for:
Rope
Two point sling

Personally I'd bring an alcohol stove for cooking and leave the folding saw at home as well. The compass is useless unless you bring a map. I'm also assuming that you are planning on bringing real food for the trip and the emergency rations weren't what you expected to be eating.
>>
>>639299
>Things I'd recommend leaving at home:
>SS bottles (replace with plastic)
>Thermometer
>Drybag for a tarp
>Emergency rations
>Bungee cord
>Ferrorod
>Water bottle carrier
>One of the knives
>Flashlight (you've already go a headlamp)
>Maxpedition wallet
>Things I'm not sure if I'd get rid of b/c I'm not sure what you'd use them for:
>Rope
>Two point sling
The SS bottles I think justify their weight in gold when water purification and cooking are considered for their uses. The dry bag has uses for holding dirty water at camp, as a bear bad, and in the possible water crossings I may encounter. The water bottle carrier is when I break down camp and attach the two point sling to it. Which is usually when I load up my gtg fatboy and go fuck around. Rope is primarily for my hammock, helps safely cross water and everything else a rope is good for. Maxpedition wallet is something to consider leaving at home but as it functions to hold my IFAK to my belt I'd have to find something that can do the same thing to replace it.
My question is why would you want me to leave my emergency rations and one of my knives at home. In the case where I lost it. Something I'd really not like to do, since I love my knives. My life would be much more difficult losing my cutting tool. Also leaving my folding saw doesn't make much sense either to me as it is such an amazing tool.
>>
>>639299

Why would he leave what seems to be his only method of purifying water at home? In the grand scheme of things, 18 lbs isn't heavy and he isn't going to same much weight on plastic vs ss for a bottle. The added weight for a pump style water filter is much greater than just bringing ss water bottles, unless he wanted to use tabs or bleach. Going in to the woods without any type of water purification is just pants on head retarded and I would recommend having two ways of making water drinkable, one that doesn't require a fire. Same goes for the flashlight, have two. I have been 5 miles out in the woods trying to make camp and waited too long so it started to get dark. Primary flashlight went out and setting up a hammock in the dark is not fun or safe. Keep the ferrorod, it weighs nothing.

Aside from that I mostly agree. If you have a stove and a good knife, you don't need a saw, tell us one time you have really needed it. The wallet, dry bag, shock cord, and extra knife are pretty useless.
>>
>>639134
I'm still around. I browse /out/ pretty frequently and have defected here since the weaboos infected /b/ around 2008. Lol this next year will be a decade of browsing 4chan haha, dont know if this makes me an oldfag or not. Anyways I'm digressing....
The Vepr is just something I want. Purely so. The round is killer and (I thought still?) cheap. I've been eyeing it as some of my first rifle purchases I'm going to make this febuary. The ak action is sweet.
I'm still open to options, but so far I've been looking at these rifles.... Please help cuz I have no idea what I'm doing other than reading reviews to help guide me.
-Vepr
-Ruger 77/357
-Ruger Mini 30
-Some type of .357 lever action rifle
-SKS
-Arsenal AK
-PTR gen II 7.62x39
I generally wouldn't mind spending around 1k on a rifle and I know no matter what I get I'm going to love it to death. I've been revising and revising what I'm going to get in February and so far I really want to buy .357 mag revolver, .357 lever action, and an SKS. This may help keep cost down and give me a total of around 1500 usd give or take. advice is appreciated!
>>
>>639323
Already said >>639327, but at least now I see a purpose for some of it. Carrying water is the only legitimate use I see for the dry bag as the entire pack can be hoisted away from a bear. You are right about the stainless steel, trading a couple ounces for useless plastic that can't purify water is pants on head retarded.

I still think a saw and shock cord serve little to no purpose. If your knives were different in size or intended use I would say to keep them but they are similar. The only time I carry two knives is when I have a large one on my pack (12"OAL from 1/4" stock) for chopping and splitting and a small pocket carry kershaw or opinel. Anything you would need a saw for I can use a big knife and it serves many more purposes. Scales come off and I could make a spear if I needed to, it chops, split, etc.

Anyone who tells you not to bring rope /out/ is a twat unless you are nowhere near trees, water, etc. Even then it can be used in first aid if need be.
>>
>>639327
I've only ever used it when making shelters and process dead trees for easier burning. It's something to consider and purchasing a firebox is a great idea.
>>
>>639333

What will you be using the rifle for? Hand guns are much easier to take /out/ unless you will be on a boat or horse. I bring one for bears and weirdos so I don't worry much about hunting or accuracy. Plus, where I live it is illegal to hunt with any non straight walled cartridges (i.e. pistol caliber rifles like the k2000) and you can't even carry it during hunting season. Lever action .357s are fucking sweet but an AK will never die even after being drug through the mud and shitting in the receiver. Just clear the bore and fire away.
>>
>>639338

Not a fire box, a stove. Like an alcohol stove - a trangia can be had for $15 and you might need 2oz of fuel per meal if that. Fire boxes are okay but anywhere you have one you could just make a regular fire pit or even a dakota fire hole. The purpose of the stove is to cook faster and more efficiently and not worry about the condition of the fuel available to you. I used to swear by fires until recently I went out for three days and had a heck of a time keeping a wet fire going and finally just let it die. Being in Florida this would be less of an issue for you but I still see a firebox as a gimmick for the most part. Just dig a fucking hole.

Use a big knife to chop wood. Saw's are for permanent structures and canoes.
>>
Not sure why these fellows are telling you to leave your IFAK or the extra knife and flashlight. I've always believed in redundancies ,especially with things like flashlights, but maybe I'm just paranoid. Definetely by no means an expert. The one thing that I might add would be a small trowel, and replace the second knife with some sort of multi tool.
>>
>>639336
I was writing when your other post came up in the thread but I hadn't refreshed yet to see it. At least you see why I use my SS. Most people see the steel and think "that's heavy" but really it's not all that bad when considering what they give me in return.
So far I'm going to look at cutting from my pack:
Saw
Bungee cord

I think the bungee cord is a topic I haven't explained why carry it. It helps with ease of use, to strap excess cold weather clothing to my pack when I'm hiking and get a little hot or start sweating. I absolutely hate digging through my pack to get anything in and out because I have to reassess how much real estate I have to play with. With that point it helps me segue into why I compress my tarp with a dry bag. Sometimes I don't feel like stuffing a wet, dirty tarp into my pack. Not because I give a damn about my gear getting wet but because the thing doesn't fold and break down the same after weather exposure. Maybe it's just my skills but having the dry bag helps. It also compressed the fucker and gives me more rooms to count on being there when I'm repacking. I think everyone has put things into a nice little spot and when they're out on the trail everything seems to have lost its place when Its trying to find home. I wouldn't mind cutting these things if there is good reason.
My thoughts on the saw, so would you feel that there would be justification to replace it with a larger blade? I'm planning on buying a bk21 and thought of it immediately when you said this. I'm a Beckerhead so it takes me very little encouragement to buy a Becker. :)
>>
>>639339
The rifle is for hogs, which are a big problem in Florida. I plan on getting I to hunting because it's something I've always wanted to do and no one I know is serious when they say they go /out/ and hunt. I ask them when's they're next day off and hear nothing but excuses every time.
Basically hunting bro.
>>
>>639323
>>639336
I didn't catch that you needed the stainless steel for treating your water. I usually use a disinfectant and don't boil my water (because it's more fuel to carry). You still don't need more than 1 of your bottles to be metal though. A 20oz gatorade bottle weighs 37g vs the 38oz Nalgene at 350g. That means you save the better part of a pound just by replacing 1 SS bottle with 2x 20oz gatorade bottles.

I'd leave the emergency rations because you should have enough real food to eat for your trip.

Leave the second knife because you aren't going to duel wield them. It isn't that hard to keep track of all your items.
>>
>>639341
thanks for the clarification. Being in a tropical area means there's always no dry wood around so would you say that this may be good enough to excuse a wood stove? I don't mind buying either one but if I can save weight and space I will.
>>
>>639343

Same guy, ditch the saw and swap it for either a larger blade (my preference) or a multi tool. The pliers are the real only benefit I see to bring a multitool if you already have a knife. Who needs a bottle opener and finger nail file in the woods?

I carry a BK7 and I trust my life with that knife. I can do everything from make shaving for tinder to processing sticks/logs the size of my arm. If I really wanted to I am sure I could split things the size of my leg with it. Sure the cuts aren't as smooth as a saw and it may take a minute or two longer but I can use it for way more things than one bulky saw. Some here prefer a hatchet but I don't see the point if you aren't felling trees.

In my opinion if you have one good knife attached to your person, it should take you through anything. Putting your only knife in your pack would be stupid but if you can keep it on your belt and trust it, why have two tools that do the same thing? Sure a flashlight can fail so redundancy is nice but a knife? If you break a BK7 to the point that it is no longer usable as a cutting implement, no knife on earth will help you in the woods.

As far as the cord goes, that actually makes sense. Since it weighs nothing (assuming you use a normal length of it and not 50'), and serves a good purpose in colder weather, keep it. I might actually start doing that because I hate taking a sweatshirt off and having to tie it to my pack when I could just slide it under some webbing or shock cord. I prefer other methods of attaching an IFAK but if the wallet works for you, go for it. It seems your pack is pretty light anyway so I would make a few adjustments not revamp the entire thing. Rations are optional you probably don't need more than some hard candy and nuts.
>>
>>639353
Thanks for the tips Alfie. :) Prolly going to add another Becker to my little family going on (bk14,15,16 & 2).
>>
>>639347

.357 should stop anything in its path coming out of a rifle barrel. AK may not have the same 'knockdown' power but sequential shots are faster and you have 30 rounds at your disposal. Plus, you can literally throw it at a tree and then shoot it. Not that lever actions aren't sturdy but AKs were made to withstand anything. The only good definitive answer I can give you is: shoot anything before you buy it. See what you like. It doesn't matter if a .357 is better for me if you hate it or vice versa.

Alternatively you could just carry a long barreled .357 mag with a scope and hunt with that. Smaller but still a pistol.

>>639349
>SS water bottle for boiling
>thermos to keep it warm
>cup to drink or cook out of if he wants to keep water in the SS container and not cook with all of it

To me the only thing that seems unnecessary is the cup and even then it is almost negligible. You can't boil water in a thermos. So if he is relying on boiling he pretty much has to keep the SS bottle and decide if he wants a thermos to keep things hot or not. While he should have enough food, 8 oz of backups wouldn't hurt him. This is especially true if it is freeze dried - lots of calories, no weight.

>>639350
Yeah not having fuel and relying on a fire is a pretty good way to get yourself in a shit situation. This knockoff trangia is <$14 shipped and you know it will work when you need it. Denatured alcohol/heet/gasoline/moonshine literally anything that burns can fuel these things. For under $14 shipped it is not much more cost than making your own out of soda cans and it should last longer.

I love fires but I'll be fucked if I am starting one with wet wood again.
>>
>>639356
I think you share my enthusiasm for aks friend. what I'll prolly end up doing is buying my revolver and lever in .357 cause I can save weight and cost on ammo. And buy myself a quality ak. Now my question is which one? I'm not a fanboy of anything really, it's all about how it actions.
You guys sold me on the stove. I'll have to look I to which one I'll buy now. I'll keep the trianga in mind, but I have some reading to do.
>>
>>639358

I will save you time and give you my 6+ month experience of alcohol stoves. Some guys get really in to it and make their own, have pop can stove efficiency tests, mill their own alcohol stoves, etc etc etc. Prices range from $2 making your own (depending on what you have on hand) to $60+. The efficiency benefits are usually within 2 minutes of boiling water and less than 1/4 oz of fuel unless you get REALLY in to it and spend lots of time or energy perfecting a design. The amazon link I posted is less than $14 at your door and that is probably cheaper than making one if you don't have tools, sand paper, jb weld, etc. I got a 16oz denatured alcohol container with a squirt top and I carry a zippo hand warmer in the winter months for the camp buddy. She gets cold a lot easier than I do. So, I can measure the fuel with the measuring thing that comes with that and carry 16 oz of fuel which is basically carrying an water bottle. For the added pound and less than $20 I can cook anywhere any time and purify water. Although I do carry a pump ceramic filter for the same purpose. That way I don't use fuel for non-cooking.

Just buy a cheap one and see if it is for you. I prefer it because propane tanks are expensive, heavy, bulky, and for a week long trip for a few people you need multiples. I can cook up to 8 meals with one bottle of fuel and it weighs less. Not to mention a good propane burner will set you back $60 without any fuel. The only plus I see to propane is temperature control and that is easy with a simmer ring on an alcohol stove.

As far as the AK goes I have shot MANY but never owned one. I actually have a S&W AR-15 right now so I wouldn't be the best to ask about it. Personally I would rebuild an imported one for that good old Russian feel. With your budget though you could go new and not worry about it, what brand that may be is up to you.
>>
>>637652

Question. Where did you get that knife / flash light sheath? Love to get one for my Esee 3 and thrunite light.
>>
>>639451
Sharpshooter systems. You'll have to do a bit of research to see if your knife and flashlight will fit. but I only paid roughly 20$
>>
>>639358
here is a reliable, efficient, good power butane/propane stove that is about as light as any alcohol stove. plus you can simmer with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NNMF70U?colid=M2JSGM63XMA1&coliid=I29OJV26KY5G9X&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

fuel cans are about $3 for 4oz, and that lasts for about 6-7 meals for me.
>>
>>639529

Yeah, I don't expect to find it right off the bat. I do got a Bk 16 in the mail and 17 in the mail. I can always swap lights too if need be.
>>
>>639613
My 16 fits perfectly in the Sharpshooter Glacier Bay but it doesn't have the flashlight slot. :/ wish it did though.
>>
>>639618

That sucks. I might just take a pic of it, just go find a local leather worker and have him make me one. Or maybe just try making it myself.
>>
>>639333
54r is cheap, but supply us drying up. Personally, I'd go with 7.62x39, so probably the ak. At the end of the day, it's all up to you, though.
>>
>>639912
That's not good to hear. They come in .308 but shat shit is expensive as hell. Prolly gonna go with the ak my man
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.