[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you out in a country with dangerous animals ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16
How do you travel and sleep if at any moment a camouflaged predator can jump out and try to eat you.

Please no pussy sprays...Only things you could of found 150 years ago.
>>
I find if i follow these steps i am okay

Hang your food properly
Urinate and poop properly
Keep weapons nearby
Make sure to have decent preception score
Have proper watch set up with group travelling
Pray to RNGuses that you dont roll like shit and that your DM isn't out to get you
>>
Fire
>>
>>635754
So low possibility of detection, and if that fails you gotta use a weapon.

How likely is this to work against a bear though ?

>>635756
A fire? Wouldnt this attract attention like mad. Espeacially at night huh ?
Ive actually read a bunch of websites. Fire wont do shite.
>>
>>635758
You are only likely to run into black bears unless you live in BC alaska or the territories. Then you have a chance at seeing some brown bears.

I have lived in BC my whole life and have only seen 1 grizzly and it was in a bear trap being safely taken away. I have seen plenty of black bears and not once have they even remotely acted aggressive. Just wear a bear bell so you dont accidentally suprise one. Keep your distance, don't act like a bitch and walk away.

Obviously keep an eye out for bear shit or if you have a good eye watch for tracks. And you shouldnt run into much trouble. Unless you see some cubs then you gotta quickly.get the fuck away becuase a pissed off mama bear aint being stopped.

If you do want to go hiking and camping in grizzly country then you would want to keep a shotgun with you. Lightweight fags will complain,but you can sleep easier.
And no unless you are very trained with firearms or you are hunting you shouldnt rely on a rifle as self defense.
Why?
Becuase when you have a big fucking grizzly charging at you at 34 mph you do not want to have to rely on perfect aim to stop the beast.

Now if you got cougars in the area then you are a little more fucked
>>
>>635770
Standard procedure for mountain lions is to make yourself look as big as possible (like holding your backpack above your head). I have no idea how that works as I've only seen 1 mountain lion in my life and it was far away.

To be honest, I feel like the backpack advice is pretty stupid because the cat is either hunting you and you won't see them, or they aren't hunting you but heard your heavy ass lumbering around and you won't see them. The chance of just randomly running into one like a black bear seems pretty low.

If you are that worried about mountain lions then I'd suggest travelling with a group. It might not stop you from getting mauled, but it will improve your chances of surviving an encounter. Attacks on humans are pretty uncommon and you'd be better off worrying about falling, heat stroke, hypothermia or simply driving to location.
>>
File: thorn-hedge.jpg (991 KB, 2016x1200) Image search: [Google]
thorn-hedge.jpg
991 KB, 2016x1200
>>635740
fire /smoke
> discourage attack - imply wildfire danger to predator
proper food /waste protocol
> harder to find the camp- less sensory attractivity
poky/spiky things
> area denial- you hear them crash through the parameter
guardshifts. guard animals
>early warning - fearless sleep
guns
> the gatling gun is from 1860 - aka plenty of good options
skills
> know how to read warning signs / how predators hunt, how to defend vs x. what's in the area.
>>
>>635740
hang up your food, and don't cook where you sleep. If you're really worried, bring a shotgun or handgun. It's not like animals wander around looking to maul people, usually they're just looking for a quick meal, like your dinner leftovers, or trail mix.

Now, skinwalkers... I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: IMG_20151003_034431.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151003_034431.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>
File: 20151107_190436.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151107_190436.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>635740

This bugger right here. She is extremely protective of me and makes an amazing alarm system.

Besides a dog to alert me of dangers I carry my AR10. Yes OP said 150 yrs ago, I don't live in that time, it'd be stupid for you to not carry a gun. You're responsible for your own safety, which a lot of ppl seem to not realize.

Plus there are crazy fuckers out in the woods, sure the chances of running into one is very low, what happens if you do?
>>
File: bucket2.jpg (135 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
bucket2.jpg
135 KB, 1024x683
>>635740

Walk loudly, carry a big stick. Most animals just want to avoid you, and very few animals are going to keep attacking when you put up a fight.

At night, be disciplined about your food and your shit.

Have a fire. Have a weapon nearby if anything bad goes down.
>>
Hardcast .45-70
>>
>>635794
Ar10 is a little overkill, no?

Personally I don't carry a firearm. I own several, AR's, large and small caliber rifles, several handguns.... just never have needed then while I'm /out/.

The chances of being attacked by an animal are monumentally low. Insanely low. You're thousands of times more likely to die in a car crash on the way to trailhead. I mean tens of thousands of times more likely. You're statistically more likely to be struck by lightning. You're statistcally more likely to be killed by a branch falling off a tree. I just don't worry about animals. You're actually many MANY times more likely to die from an accidental discharge of your gun than you are from a bear/wolf/cougar.

No wolves or mountain lions in my area, and only black bears who are scared as hell of people.

Sure there's crazy people in the woods. But you know where there are even more crazy people? Not in the woods. You're statistcally much safer being /out/ than most other places.

I don't blame any who carries, I just don't myself.
>>
Im not very satisfied with people saying chances are low. I mean Im looking to spend a good long while inna woods and I think its important to be prepared for the worst case scenario which is wolves, bears and cats.

Lets say for arguments sake. Only primitive weapons.

So far the suggestions are:
a dog as an alarm / buddy,
No trace of food,
Keep distance from bears,
Make yourself big with cars.

Now what if a bear / cat is stalking you like I've seen in countless videos. What do then ?

What if a pack of wolves surrounds you. Im not going to rely on them being hungry or not. It could happen and so its important to know how this kind of thing is handled.

>>635775
>>635779
>>635788
>>635794
>>635804
>>635821
>>
>>635821

No such thing as over kill when one life is on the line (When a bear, moose, or other large animal is involved..... human over kill is a dif story though, would not mag dump on them, like I would a bear.)

I live in Alaska, so I got bears, wolves, whole bunch of other shit that wants to nom nom on me. Going /out/ with no fire arm is just a dumb idea here. There has been plenty of times when animals have venture forth into my camp, mostly due to ppl being dumb. Last trip I went on, we had a bear destroy our friend tent, due to him leaving out a open bag of jerky (I no longer camp with him)

So given the state I live in, I am statistically a lot more higher chance of being eaten than you.

Plus I got moose here too, those things can be scary as hell in mating season.

Now if I lived back in WA, I'd still carry just due to bears, wolves (small population of wolves, they're still there) as well as how many cougars that live there too (Back in O8, it was estimated to be over 2,000 of them are in WA)

Plus after listening to this audio a long time ago, I will no longer sleep in the woods unless I got my dog, my rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9lCkFygaaQ

Just like in the urban world, I CC every time I go out of the house, so carrying a fire arm is no big deal to me. Plus it is fun to just go /out/ and do some shooting when camping.

The biggest reason why I carry when I go out, is due to having a child I want to come back home to.
>>
>>635740
no my smell makes animals scared and they run out of the woods if i get in
>>
>>635827
if a pack of wolves surround you and you don't pack full-auto firearm or don't wear medieval plate armor you are fucked.
but they won't really also the magic stick thing can work even then.
>>
>>635740
>could of

You're not smart enough to enjoy the outdoors anyway.
>>
>>635827
What area of the world are you going where you think the chances of running into wolves, bears, and large cats is at all likely? You're just being silly, OP. Spend more time outside and less time online.
>>
>>635836
Just FYI, this audio is fake. The real Treadwell death audio has never been leaked online.
>>
>>635871
Alaska.
>>
>>635873

It was leaked yrs ago, now fuck off retard.
>>
>>635875
Nope. That audio is fake.
>>
Since I assume you're going fully primitive and you seem pretty scared, you could take a weapon designed for killing (like a sword). A woodsmans axe or improvised spear will always be inferior than a proper weapon. But you would look crazy walking innawoods with a sword.

People in the past just whistled or sung along when they walked. They probably only carried a walking stick, bow with arrows, or an axe. At night they would settle somewhere where there is back is against something solid, and sleep in between that and a long fire. In deep, cold winters, where there wasn't much food, and wolves were more likely to attack humans, people would stay indoors, people who needed to go outdoors such as hunters/trappers and people going to town would carry a weapon and go with multiple people.

If you're that scared of animals then you can just take a really large shield and a spear, if an animal like a wolf or bear trys to attack you then just hide in a corner with the shield infront of you and poke them with the spear.
>>
>>635873

Well yeah. the one I posted was fake. Still sucks to hear. Plus there has been audio of ppl being attacked by a bear and surviving it. Though it does not sound the same, they're some what close.

Given the audio is a fake, the investigator did mention how both the real and fake sound almost a like.
>>
>>635874
You're extremely unlikely to encounter any cougars in Alaska. Just take precautions before you go, like not being stupid and carrying bear mace. There's no reason to not use modern tools that we now have at our disposal. But feel free to try to fend off a grizzly with a musket and a tomahawk if you want.
>>
>>635879
the magic of the stick protects you enough.
animals are dumbfounded by operating sticks so they think you are a wizard and leave you alone.
>>
>>635775
>>635827
Sounds like you should just stay inside. It's the best way to stay safe from the big bad wolves.

What advice do you want for mountain lions? There is pretty much no way to stay safe if they decide they want to attack you. They will hunt you and drop out of a random tree. You will not have time to ready whatever weapon/defense you decided to bring so the only defense is travelling in a group. It makes attacks less likely and allows people who aren't being mauled/incapacitated to prevent you from being dinner.
>>
>>635794
What breed?
>>
>>635921

Norweign elk hound. She is only 2 yrs old, weighs about 65ish pounds.
>>
>>635875
Found the dumb one who believes everything he sees on the internet.
>>
>>635836

Fuck mate, I just moved to Canada (American here) and because of crossing the border I can't have a gun in either country. I've been planning camping trips in WA but my only protection would be bear spray.

The fuck should I do? I hate the idea of ending up some wolf or bears dinner because I was alone and all I had was some pepper spray, but I don't feel I have other options.
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 750x1000
>>635740
>>
>>635947

WA is not that bad. Chances of shit happening is pretty low. Just make sure to prep, cook, eat, etc your food away from camp.

Make friends, or invite friends to go camping with you.

Carry a big ass knife so you can shank those beasts.

Or learn the art of body slamming.

Even though I live in Alaska now, I still got some fire arms back in WA, that friends / family hold onto for me. Maybe you could do the same thing too?? Can always buy a fire arm off of arms list.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 640x640
>>635947
Ask the bear to not mutilate you, but in a nice way.
>>
If near Cali hear me out on sprays.Mine are different.
You will need red spray paint and syringe for injecting rojhipknall.(special blend that includes gay coyote synthetic urine)
First if a coyote is vibing you,find a way to knock that fucker out and then inject his testicles with the roj.
Then tag that motherfucker with some crip tags and drop his ass in blood territory.Will be shot up in minutes and added benefit is loser gangs get shit from PITA for using coyotes as undercover spies and cannon fodder.
>>
>>635953

If guns were not an option because you don't have friends or family in WA, would you drop serious $ for a good knife or buy a mora companion and bear spray and call it a day?

From what I've been reading a gun is usually just dead weight. And as far as camping with others, I'm just looking to become more proficient and learn alone, so if I do go out with other ppl I could lead or at the very least not be dead weight.
>>
I keep a gun on me, but I suppose you could carry a can of seasoning, or just do things proper and hope for the best.
>>
>>635947
>what do
Canadian here, make few spears from really long sticks and old RAM. File the RAM until it's sharp and somehow get it stuck in one end of the stick. You could also do the same thing with a really cheap knife, or simply duct-tape a few moras to the stick.

Alternatively, sharpen the stick. Remember that you can protect your campsite by sticking pointy sticks in the ground around your tent. Use your backpack as a shield and so on.

Remember, you're a human. Your strongest weapon is your brain, use it.
>>
File: 2015-11-25_00.29.13.jpg (158 KB, 1280x874) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-25_00.29.13.jpg
158 KB, 1280x874
>>636029
>ramstick
>>
>>636089
god damn those things look comfy as fuck
>>
>>635836
Yeah Alaska is another world. I live in the east coast, PA to be exact, I'm the guy you responded to, who said he doesn't carry.

There's just not much in the woods here. A few black bear, but they're timid as hell. No wolves, no cats besides a bobcat rarely. Moose? Nope, few whitetail deer is all.

So yeah, I don't carry, but I don't blame you, because if I was in Alaska I would too. Let's be realistic, Alaska is monumentally different than the rest of the USA.
>>
>>635855
Read Wikipedia article about wolf attacks.

Few guys found out their friend was killed by wolves, took rifles out hunting them. They were found dead, eat alive, wth 1e dead wolves around them.

If wolves want to kill you, a gun won't help.

If a grizzly wants to kill you, a gun won't help much either, unless you hit it perfect, and it's a very large caliber. Chances are if a grizzly is charging, you won't hit it perfect. They can continue to maul you even after they have been critically wounded, they are tanks.

If a cat wants to kill you, you'll never see it coming and you'll be dead before you ever get a finger on the trigger. They're ambush predators.

Now, if you startle a large animal, and it's defending itself, a gun may ward off the attack.

Statistically, bear spray can be more effective. Less chance of error (missing a shot). Can't hurt to have a gun and spray though.

But seriously though, unless you're the sperg with the AR10 in alaska, you really don't need to worry.
>>
>>636127
> mfw oh fuck, the spraycan guy found this thread

Whelp, here goes another good thread to misinformation, shitpisting and outright lies frim the bunny hugger, leftwing, antigunners.

> a gun won't help you
> get a spraycan

Ynotboth?.jpg
>>
File: 1446454321095.jpg (35 KB, 661x720) Image search: [Google]
1446454321095.jpg
35 KB, 661x720
>>635933
Are you in the US? If so I will give you a rim job if you can tell me where a breeder is.
>>
Man I have a shiny rock that keeps mountain lions away. It's worked for year without issue
>>
>>636149
Same for my shiny boner, seems to work on young chicks, too!
>>
>>635740
Not being able to defend yourself against a less intelligent predator with a knife. GG stay in your cubicle and make those telephone calls.
>>
File: 2015-11-22 17.10.22.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-22 17.10.22.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
>>635995

I carry a big blade already. A Bk9, pic related. Scout carry it. No I don't baton with it.l, more hacking small 2 to 3 inch trees, so I can collect the wood.

Gun is not a waste of weight. Bring a shotgun with dif loads, now you got protection and dif ways to provide fresh meat. Specially if it turned into a survival situation, it'd be nice to be able to hunt small bird, all the way up to larger game. Carry a couple slugs for bears.

>>636126
Alaska is such a beautiful place, I jumped around through out the u.s. This has been my most fav state, I don't see myself moving any time soon.

>>636137 got her in WA, from what I know, they're a some what common breed, ppl usually miss I.d. them as some type of husky/Shepard breed.or they ask if she is a wolf hybrid. Which she kinda looks when she fully blows her coat. Which btw, that is the biggest downside to their breed. They blow their coat way to much, way to often. Had to spend 500 for a new dyson vacuum due to her.
>>
>>636119
Hearing them spar in the distance is surreal, it's like a rifle shot each time they clash
>>
>>636127

Chances are those rifles were bolt action, only held a few rounds. Plus what was the situation they were in when it happen? High chances are they were doing some thing, did not have their rifle with them right then.

Also you ever seen what a .308 can do? Now picture when I have a 30 round mag, mag dump with that. GG, well played bear. Also go check your facts, plenty of ppl who have taken down charging full grown bear. Both with rifle and bow.

Also it'd take you longer to grab your spray, pull the tab and point and spray. Which the spray doesn't work a lot of time btw. While it takes only a second for me to point and shoot.

So fuck off with your tree hugging shit, go get raped by a moose, faggot.
>>
>>636175
Thanks m8. Beautiful creatures they are
>>
>>636136
>Can't hurt to have a gun and spray though.
What's it like to have autism anon?
>>
>>635740
>pls no pussy spray
Bare hands of course
>>
>>635791
this has to be satire. That's what like 10 pounds?
>>
>>635827
Have you spent much time in an outdoors environment before where there are wild life? Because otherwise a long trip in Alaska might not be a good idea if that's not the case.
>>
File: 20150819_205206.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150819_205206.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>636206

Thanks, here another picture of her.
>>
>>635740
I have to deal with danger of cougars, black and grizzly bear, and wolves here. I simply cannot relate to the people that talk about sleeping under just a tarp or in a hammock. A fire helps but last guy who was killed by a bear here was sleeping in front of a fire in the open. Having a covered tent again helps but does not guarantee anything.

>>635770
alberta has plenty of grizzlies as well. More in the banff canmore areas in the south though. I have been stalked by a large grizzly once when fishing. I used to see them quite regularly in Kananaskis. That one got within 100 yards of me before someone actually shouted out to me he was there. I just started walking fast but calmly away from him but if he wanted to chase me down he could have. Bear spray is actually really effective. If you shoot a bear with any gun though you'd better kill it. And I'm with you on cougars man. 100%. Bears and wolves as long as it's not fall and winter respectively are pretty mellow animals but a cougar will kill you for the sport.
>>
>>636241
No.

44 magnum ounces.
>>
>>636261
I don't think it's fair to say a cougar will kill for sport. The vast majority of people killed by cougars are kids, most the rest were mostly women. There's been very few successful attacks by cougars on healthy adult males (4 in the last 100 years in North america). 4 people died in car accidents in the time it took me to write this post.
>>
>>636326
Also, 2/3 of all mountain lion deaths have been on Vancouver island. So don't go there.

The deaths of adult men were in California (2), New Mexico, and Vancouver island.
>>
>>635791
Thats smart because when it jams its heavy enough to throw and still do damage
>>
File: Worst Case Scenario.png (42 KB, 1090x475) Image search: [Google]
Worst Case Scenario.png
42 KB, 1090x475
No doubt in any of these situations my first reaction would be to try every deterrent from walking calmly away to using the magic stick, to climbing a tree...I could easily handle a bear climbing a tree with a barrage of arrows and a spear when it starts to get closer...I will always have my weight as an advantage so I can always climb higher than the bear.

I certainly do not plan to be eaten by any kind of wild animal but in reality when you see how fuck-huge these monsters are you do start to lose faith in the likeliness of your survival.

>>636242
I live in the UK. All our predators are gone but Id like to go camping in the US because Im fascinated by its geography.

>>636261
One of the few people taking the threat of wild animals seriously

>>635879
Good advice although the armor seems a joke, it is a brilliant idea if you wear partial armor over your limbs and organs. Its not going to be so much heavier and at the end of the day Its the difference between survival and death, for a few kilograms of weight...

Its common to bait an arm or leg with a dog attack so some light weight armor material sounds stella.
The weapons Id prefer to use for each animal differ depending on their size, agility and numbers,

•A spear for a bear
•A pitch fork and long dagger for a cougar because its likely to have made agility and get passed your defense
•Wolves are kinda difficult. Would be expecting to get torn up a lot before I could fight them off which is where the armor comes in. Id opt for two short spears in each hand, held at a height they cannot grab...

This leaves my entire body open ofcourse, they will likely pull very hard on my limbs which is why Id want to have my back against something wider than me.

Then just wait for them to get bored or me to get tired....Not a pleasant scenario Im shitting myself thinking about it...But you have to be prepared for worst.

All of this could be solved it I carried a single grenade or machine gun lol.
>>
File: gondor guy laffing.gif (703 KB, 179x211) Image search: [Google]
gondor guy laffing.gif
703 KB, 179x211
>>635948
the only way.
>>
>>636329
> jams

Confirmed has never shot my Desert Eagle.
>>
>>636175
Dog looks comfy af
>>
>>635874
Wolves and mountain lions aren't a threat to healthy adult males. You will see bears but as long as you hang your food, don't cook in your camp and keep your distance they'll run away or ignore you.

If you're so paranoid just stay in the UK.
>>
>>636252
Fucking beautiful animal
>>
>>636584

Thank you. She had a really bad early life. She was a rescue dog, when she was only 3 months old, the original owner broke her leg, cracked her skull. My wife and I are surprised how affectionate she is.
>>
>>636353
Hate to break it to tou, but that bear, even a big onw, can out climb you any day of the week.

Have you ever seen a black bear scale a tree? It's frightening how fast they do it. You'd never stand a chance.

Listen, I know you're just listening to what you want to hear, but you need a reality check. Seriously dude.

Wild animals are not a threat here in the usa.

Sure, things happen, but they are seriously SERIOUSLY rare. In the last 100 years only a handful of people have been killed by predators. Last year over 1500 people won the lottery for more than a million dollars.

You can't take a few examples and use them as the basis for your arguement. Please, either leave this board, or start listening to reason.
>>
If we're really 150 years ago then I don't travel alone, always with a dog and other people.

If today then I really doubt a camouflaged predator would go after me, I'm more likely to die from stumbling upon a moose or a retarded brown bear than a wolf pack legit hunting me from food.
>>
>>635740
Keep your guard up at all times, be prepared but don't be paranoid. I've only ever had to pull my gun up once on a bear, but she stopped 20 yards out and turned.
>>
>>637116
Erm. Well sorry I did actually say I'm planning for the worst. I didn't say it was likely.

If I see a bear stalking me I will climb a tree before it obviously we aren't going to start at the same time.

If it decides to climb the tree it can be as quick as it wants I will no doubt spike it's throat as it climbs.

What do you suggest? Go unprepared because it's unlikely? You joker. You'd have me in a melee battle with a killer.
>>
>>635879
"you would look crazy walking through the woods with a sword" everytime i go to the woods i take a full tang wakizashi..
>>
>>637563
I'm begging you to please stay in your own country, I don't want you here in the USA acting like an idiot in the woods.
>>
>>635740
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V98vB2dRsU

A 9mm

>Only things you could of found 150 years ago.

A Colt .45
>>
Draw a circle around your camp site.
>>
What do you do if you are being charged by a deer?
>>
>>638421
I would have my lawyer file counter-charges.
>>
>>638433
top kek
>>
>>635758
>fire
generally speaking this scares the fuck out of wildlife, and they avoid it like..... fire
>>
File: IMG_2055.jpg (574 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2055.jpg
574 KB, 1000x750
>>636136
>both
I... I carry both...
>>
>>636328
Vancouver islander here who has camped all over the island

I've never seen a cougar
>>
>>638663

I been going there for a number of yrs, must of seen dozens of them if not more.
>>
>>638453
This.
>>
>>635933
>>636175
>>636252
>>636589
M8 that's a mutt, not a Norwegian elk hound, maybe a mix but not anywhere near a purebreed NEH. sincerely Norwegian hunter.

But if it's a rescue and you lover her good for you. That's more important.
>>
File: Norsk elghund.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Norsk elghund.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
>>639172
And a pic to back my statement up.
>>
>>639173
Haven't read this thread yet but I want to say thats a nice Elk hound mutt you got there. What (she?) mixed with.
>>
>>638663
they saw you you can be sure of that
>>
>>639174
That's a purebreed. Google the breed if you doubt me.
>>
>>635740
Assuming this is a survival situation? Make a basic club or stone adze, smash doggo's face in and wear the pelt predicting the coming end-times.

Pic related

http://asterix.openscroll.org/images/anatomy_lesson_of_the_soothsayer.jpg
>>
>>635740
Guns
>>
>>639173
Thats a nice german shepard
>>
>>637819
And 2 zig zags?
>>
>>635827
Bodyslam.
>>
>>635827
>Im not very satisfied with people saying chances are low. I mean Im looking to spend a good long while inna woods and I think its important to be prepared for the worst case scenario which is wolves, bears and cats.
If you want to keep yourself safe, start by hiking with a full face motocross helmet on.
>>
>>639172

No, it's a Norwiegn elk hound. Thought she was a mutt, we got blood tested. So go eat a dick.
>>
>>635775
i wouldn't be too worried about a mountain lion
it's just a big kitten unless you trigger it's hunting instinct which is bad news cause you will most likely have to kill it or become cat food
>>
>>636127
did they shoot each other because they pissed their pants from wolves circling them?
no other scenario makes any sense.
>>
>>642153
No they were surrounded by wolves, and they killed 13 of them before the wolves eventually overran them, and killed them both, eating them alive.
>>
>>642173
woucher. That sounds painful.

No way am I gonna let some animal chew on me, the bastard. Il fucking bike it back.
>>
>>642173
13 sounds too large for a pack
this must be a story like where a guy chewed thru a grizzlies jugular
>>
>>635740
I was knocked over by a Florida panther. My own fault, I wore heavy deodorant that time. I never do that. I was being careless and loud, i got lucky, very, very lucky only small scrapes. Fucking endangered piece of shit took my hat though. Asshole.
>>
>>635740
This will take care of anything in North America except brown bears.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=653

For brown bears, try this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_H%26H_Magnum
>>
>>636191
This implies that your always carrying a gun ready to shoot, and spray can only be lugged on your person until the time of action. Why not just carry the spray around ready to use like you do with your gun?
>>
>>635827
I live in a bear and wolf heavy area. It's stupid to go out into the woods without a gun here, but your area may be a bit safer. The biggest thing is to hang your food and anything with any scent at all up downwind far away from camp when you sleep. As another anon suggested, wear bells or make a lot of noise when you are walking around. I've heard a lot about peeing near your campsite, but that doesn't sound right to me. If you encounter a bear, don't run. Appear large and slowly back away if you can. Look online about what different types of bears look like and if you get charged by a black bear, fight back. Grizzly bear, play dead with your stomach to ground, cover your neck, and stay quiet when get your ass chewed off. If it's a polar bear, say your prayers. You may not be allowed to carry sufficient firepower in your area to kill a bear, but there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't carry bear spray.

TLDR don't be worried unless you don't hang your food away from camp or you startle a bear (making noise prevents this). Also, get some spray, fag.
>>
>>636191
Have you ever wondered why no one ever carries 308 for grizzly defense? Most people use 12ga, 45-70, or 454 casull if handgun.
>hint: its just a little too small
Grizzlies are huge
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.