[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backpacking Trip (NC Edition)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: Backpacking_McAfee Knob.jpg (72 KB, 920x361) Image search: [Google]
Backpacking_McAfee Knob.jpg
72 KB, 920x361
I'm currently planning a backpacking trip for this Spring. My current focus is on picking a location/route.
I've done 3-4 day trips, but I'd like to make this one around a week.
Most routes I've found online tend to be 2-4 day routes.
I'm located in North Carolina (School:Greensboro Home:Raleigh) and would
prefer to go somewhere that's around 3-5 hours driving range.
I'd like to pursue mountainous/difficult terrain since I'm in pretty good shape and I like the idea of a challenge.
I'm also open to the idea of exploring historic sites (shut down mines, abandoned towns, etc.) along the way.
While of course the Appalachian Trail is one of the first few ideas that comes to mind, I'd like to
avoid contact with too many people.
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I should take my journey?
Thanks
>>
File: linville_gorge3.jpg (64 KB, 599x300) Image search: [Google]
linville_gorge3.jpg
64 KB, 599x300
>>635439
Bumping for hope
>>
Hey man
Winston-Salem area
totally down.
Where do we go from here ?
>>
reminder bump
>>
Max Patch is cool
>>
Fellow NCfag here. Grayson Highlands is always sweet. Uwharrie is pretty nice as well for overnight trips. If you're looking for a longer hike (more than a week), then just find a nice section of the AT or the Mountains to Sea trail.
>>
NC sucks
>>
File: TableRock2.jpg (112 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
TableRock2.jpg
112 KB, 960x720
If you want difficult terrain check out Linville Gorge wilderness area. It's been a couple years since I've looked at the map, but I seem to remember plenty of trails.

One trip I did there was 3 days of rock climbing around Table Rock, then hiking down and spending a night at the bottom of the gorge, then hiking up the other side to Wiseman's View. It was pretty tough, but a great hike. Spectacular views and rugged terrain. We saw one other hiking couple in the gorge and only a hand full of climbers.

The pic is Table Rock viewed from the Chimneys. I'll try to find my map if you want any more info...
>>
File: Linville Gorge.jpg (136 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Linville Gorge.jpg
136 KB, 960x720
>>637355
Looking from the Chimneys towards Shortoff Mountain and the end of Linville Gorge
>>
>>635439
>Home:Raleigh
Go away.
>>
File: A26.jpg (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
A26.jpg
1 MB, 1280x960
Standing Indian senpai
>>
Hey OP, if you can find a calm night, go to the gorge. Camp at either the top of Hawksbill (pictured) or top of babel tower. I'd recommend Babel over Hawksbill but it's way more exposed and it can be pretty dangerous if things get dicey up there. But it's close to water, the views are unbelievable, there's firewood on top, an incredible hammock spot. It ranks up with spots from the rockies for me.
>>
File: HammockSpot.jpg (89 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
HammockSpot.jpg
89 KB, 960x720
>>637451
Maybe this is you anon? It's not far from your pic
>>
>>637355
>>637356
>>637451
I've done a few trips to Linville gorge and it was spectacular.
Though I do plan to go in early-mid march so the weather could be a bit questionable.
>>637365
>It's my fault for having parents who work in RTP
>>
>>635439
Check out the foothills trail.

Me and my bro did it last march and it was pretty great. Saw like 5-6 people the whole time. It kind of zig zags back and forth over a river and there are lots of cool bridges and water falls
>>
>>637594
>hammock without a tarp on an exposed cliff at a high elevation in Autumn

who could be this stupid?
>>
>>637594
Haha I was on that exact ledge and took a picture of my friend standing where the hammock was last summer. Linville and the surrounding areas are great hiking and camping spots.
>>
>>635439
Joyce
Kilmer
Memorial
Forrest.

jewel love it, man.
>>
>>637707
I'll check it out.
>>
enough with the linville gorge suggestions, i think a better introduction to the southern appalachians is a trip in the Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness Area. hardly anyone goes anywhere there but cold mtn and shining rock, on the art loeb (which is another great 3-5 day trip).
>>637443
Standing Indian is great, i honestly havent done enough in Southern Nantahala Wilderness
>>
>>641162

Great trip. There's a lot of unmapped trail in Shining Rock, makes for great solitude.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.