[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What handle length do you prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 237.jpg (329 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
237.jpg
329 KB, 1600x1068
My fellow axe wielding sc/out/s. I see so many different size handles and heads out there and so many preferences I just had to ask. What length handle do you prefer and why? I prefer a 26"(give or take) for the leverage. What about you?
>>
>>634613
what a retarded question...
handle length and head size should be adjusted to your proportions and the task.

one school says for general purpose axe you should have one that reaches from your armpit to your palm preferably a carpenters style good for both whittling and cutting. but that is way too large for hiking and way too small for felling or serious splitting.
>>
>>634640
Y-you dont split with an axe. You split with a maul...

26 inches is my upper limit. After that fitting it on an atv or motorcycle becomes kinda akward.
>>
>>634653
i don't have any mauls or axes
all i got is a hatchet and i split with that. it splits nice.
>>
>>634640
I ask a simple question on preferences and you call me retarded? I ask just as a general question just to see what people like. It's a topic on an image board. Not an FAQ. Fuck off.
>>
>>634653
>After that fitting it on an atv or motorcycle becomes kinda akward.
I'd imagine a large axe would fit pretty well on a back rack. How big is your ATV? A motorcycle I could see though.
>>
>>634613

The second from the right is probably the most useful all around length. The farthest right will be too short to get much leverage. The farthest left would be a beast for felling full size trees but would be too unwieldy and heavy to use as a general duty camping axe.
>>
>>634757
Seriously? The one time I ask about personal preferences and general conversation I get logical advise on practicality? What do YOU prefer. Is it impossible to hold a conversation?
>>
>>634766

If you can't infer from my post that I prefer the second to the right then you probably need remedial reading classing.
>>
>>634769
Thank you for answering my question.
>>
>>634753
i prefer all sizes like everyone else. i would prefer a felling axe to fell a tree a full sized axe for splitting wood a carpenters axe for carving furniture and a hatchet for light camp work. exact size depends on your build. you never specified for what.
for no particular reason i just carry a hatchet it does everything in a pinch but i wouldn't call it my preference.
>>
>>634653
There is such a thing as a splitting axe that wouldn't classify as a maul. PLus mauls are a type of axe
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.