[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Knife/Saw/Hatchet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13
File: Knife_pics_045.jpg (96 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Knife_pics_045.jpg
96 KB, 640x480
Looking to find reliable tools that work well and LAST. As far as I can tell mora is overhyped mediocrity. I want to know what /out/ thinks is objectively the best knife around, along with saw and Hatchet (though those are somewhat secondary).
>>
>>633147
The one you have when you need it, the worst is the one you left at home.
>>
>As far as I can tell mora is overhyped mediocrity
For Americans, yes. Yuros love it because shitty plastic knives are all their governments let them have. Get a custom made knife if you've got the money. Don't baton your knife that's retarded. gransfors bruks axes are top tier. I don't know anything about portable saws, I'd assume whatever the most popular namebrand one is is pretty decent.
>>
>>633159
LoL, nice B8 M8.
>>
File: $2,000 Knife.jpg (239 KB, 1600x791) Image search: [Google]
$2,000 Knife.jpg
239 KB, 1600x791
Here you go OP.

http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/knives/wildlife-knives/bowie-knife-white-wolf-zdp-189-turkish-walnut-and-silver

Although I will say that what that webpage calls "cryogenic" cooling actually isn't. Dry ice doesn't get cold enough to facilitate the formation of carbides, only aid in the transformation of martensite to austensite (this occurring at what is commonly referred to as a "sub-zero" freeze). They'd need to cool the blade to something like -300F using liquid nitrogen (this much colder temperature treatment being referred to as "cryogenic") but I suppose a "traditional" workshop like theirs doesn't have the kind of equipment needed to regulate temperature like that.

Regardless, the steel used is so absurdly high alloy that it no doubt benefits from the treatment. The bit about "plate quenching" is nothing but a buzzword created from a time-saving method used to cool air-hardened steels faster after the initial hardening.

In fact this may or may not have a negative effect on the internal structure, but I'd have to see some actual scientific data to say for sure. Most of the crap you hear from knifefags about the latest and greatest methods of heat treatment is little more than broscience backed up by one or two personal anecdotes on some forum or another. No process, no real data, no control. Just "I did all this stuff and this knife is really great!!!!!"

But all of that mumbo-jumbo really shouldn't mean anything to you. A sharp knife is a sharp knife. Moras work, and are way better for the money. Get something that fits your hand and has a decent heat treatment and it'll last you a lifetime if you don't do something retarded with it.
>>
>>633164
Fuck, need to proof read this shit before I post.

>only aid in the transformation of AUSTENITE* to MARTENSITE*
>>
>>633147
The best ? Who gives a shit ? It would be ridiculously low value to $ ratio. Try asking on the a yuppie board or something.
>>
>>633147
forty keks you will never beat moras for value / price
best knives aren't made of steel anyways
>>
>>633147
Everything in that picture would be more than enough for what you need. Also I'm not entirely sure what people expect from a knife other than for it to cut things. Kitchen knives do it opinel, mora, becker, cold steel, sog, buck, gerber, falkniven, schrade, benchmade and so forth all cut stuff. It's a knife, it will do what you need. Just don't baton like a moron and you'll be fine. The lists of knives you can buy is practically endless. THAT'S why mora is so popular, because it does things at a fraction of the price other brands charge for a tool to cut things and feather sticks. Why so much love and hate for the damn things I'll never know.
>>
File: BBT-GOMBOY240_MED.jpg (7 KB, 428x153) Image search: [Google]
BBT-GOMBOY240_MED.jpg
7 KB, 428x153
Pic related

Get a silky gomboy 240 or similar. Things a champ, wears you out a lot less then typical saws since it's pull only. Mine's cut through every piece of wood I've put it to with ease.
>>
>>633180
>Why so much love and hate for the damn things I'll never know.

In the USA they are not sold in normal stores. They are a specialty item that has to be ordered. Hence chances are if you bought one in the usa its because of word of mouth / a review you read. So naturally everyone is very opinionated about it.
>>
>>633192
I've never understood why that is either. They're a decent price you figure they'd be a hit in retail. Guess not.
>>
File: trump03.png (446 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
trump03.png
446 KB, 555x555
>>633192
Kek, they're literally sold in hardware stores here.
The basic ones w/simple plastic handles are like 4eur, they're like the disposable cups of fixed blade knives.
>mfw all this hype
>>
>>633147

>Knife

Fällkniven

>Saw

Silky

>Hatchet

Gränsfors Bruk

There you have it. You even posted it yourself.
>>
>>633159
every time I see someone glorify the mora it's an american
here in yurop it's a cheap, expendable knife that you abuse and throw away when it's ruined

>>633241
that's a bacho, not a silky
>>
File: 20151118_234950.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151118_234950.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>633147

Usually I carry a saw and a big knife / small knife.

I don't really baton with it, if I do, it is less than 3 inch thick piece if wood.

The area I live, dry wood is easy to find if you know how to (WA fag) so pretty much I only carry a big knife just for it being cool.

If I am doing knife and hatchet combo. Usually an Esee 3 or 4 for my knife, as well as a 19 inch hatchet.

Here is the big knife I am working on. I am soooo far from being done with it. Need to cut the finger Choil a lil more, some small other things.

Can't wait to do the finish.
>>
>>633241
3 of 4 correct.
>>
>>633267
>3 of 4 correct
>Guesses 3 things
Are you a bad troll?
>>
>>633308
Can you read the 4th sentence?
>>
>>633147
ESEE4 mad durable construction.
>>
>>633377

It is actually so so. I own a crap ton of Esee. Only the 4 has had problems. The one that has been listed the most, is that the edge rolls easily. So I would not say that the 4 is made durable. Esee 3 has been more durable than my 4.
>>
File: niku3.gif (4 KB, 259x359) Image search: [Google]
niku3.gif
4 KB, 259x359
>>633147
bahco saw I think goes without saying
the gransfors hatchet is a solid choice. I personally went for the roselli 850 forest axe which just suits me better.
I don't know of any knives that have a decent price/quality combo. I have a mora light my fire but I know that isn't THE knife. I had considered a puukko but my view is the thin tang just isn't up to the task.

my ideal knife is about 100-150$. relatively soft but sturdy body with a very hard edge. wood handle full tang with 2 dowel or rivet holes well away from where the handle edges end. maybe there's a hole at the end to run some cord or strip of rawhide through. Leather sheath that keeps the knife secure. blade spine can catch a fire steel. I kind of like the profile of B in the picture for that purpose. then the blade edge is just a straight bevel.
>>
Kukri, parang, hatchet or machete for light chopping?

Im thinking the former atm, probably better for my tasks due to the weight balance and edge but ive never used one before

Im in ontario, using it for collecting firewood and building some shelter
>>
>>633388
>roselli 850 forest axe

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>633388
>roselli 850 forest axe

How do you like it?
https://youtu.be/zvKQhyIfN7M
>>
Best made.com has a nice selection
>>
>>633594
For boreal forest a good hatchet and small handy knife is all you need. Fucking ninja wacko shit is useless, unless in a jungle.

>>633388
Roselli is just so over expensive for it's purpose that it isn't even funny.
>>
>>633657
From what ive read though kukris chop and split wood just as well as hatchets and exceed at branch removal
>>
>>633676
You can hear many things. When you have to crack open stumps and rarely fell a tree, you just don't want some boogaloo sword ching chong. It's gonna save a lot of effort and time to just use a handy axe or hatchet. Personally have to sometimes whack ice to get water sometimes in late fall, so axe is good for that too.
>>
>>633380
The 3 and 4 are the same steel, so the only difference should be profile, which you can change yourself if you really care.

I have a 4 and have had no problems at all with it.

I would at least understand if you were going to argue that ESEE in general are bad, but it just doesn't make sense that only one of their knives would be bad when they are basically all the same except for length and thickness.
>>
>>633630
main thing is the edge is a wider angle than a normal axe. it splits wood nicely because of that. can't leave it sticking in wood because of that too. weight is light. i do like the handle for controlled carving but its similar to holding at base with normal axe. keeps a very sharp edge.
>>
>>633657
I used to work with a finnish company as a geophysicist. one day a dude dropped a finnish made wrench down the borehole and it was decided it would be drilled out. That wrench destroyed an industrial drill for boreholes. Ever since that day I put my trust in the quality of finnish steel.
>>
>>633787
Well, pretty much any self respecting company nowadays do a really high level steel. But yes, it can be impressive how hardened steel can straight out melt drills. There is some videos on youtube on trying to drill through a metal file.
>>
>>633801
the impressive part was this was a drill that was designed to go through metal and rock at high temperature and pressure as well. When I'd go to finland we'd use pukko's out in the forest as a utility knife and I was kind of impressed that a throw away knife could be that good.
>>
>>633952
> go thru unobtainium

Nice.
>>
>>633630
also the thing with this video is the guy is being a straight up retard. The pieces he's trying to cut at about twice the width of the axe. I take it as a smaller lighter axe for splitting wood or carving. I have a large axe with a 3.5 lb head for larger stuff like this. I take the roselli on hikes. Someone said the price is high and yeah I kind of agree there. It was about 30$ more than a gransfors small forest axe which is the most similar for what I wanted to do with it. But maybe from working with Finns, I'm just not a fan of swedish steel.
>>
>>633676
i own a few khukuris as i collect that kind of stuff/ do hema but they are okay tools but good weapons, fine for little stuff around a rural home like splitting kindling/ food prep in some cases but for dedicated out? no.
>>
>>633955
> admits National bias
> admits paying for it

Did you at least pick up a nice Finnish waifu out of it?
>>
>>633975
no. those people are depressed alcoholics. or maybe just shy. but very reserved.

thinking on axes a bit I also have a few afterthoughts. one thing I never really thought about is the long collar on the finnish axe. it does support the head very well in levering wood apart with the head. The gransfors has a bit of rounded collar on the sides as well which I think also helps in that department. the round blade and really thick and wide angled head on the roselli is something which helps in working and shaping wood but not so much in chopping. The blade will take a very very sharp edge though.
>>
>>633952
I wonder what's hardened steel hardness compared to most minerals? I mean, they shouldn't be that far off, or is it just that rock is so brittle compared to steel that it's easier to drill through them comparet to clean steel that has smooth surface.

But I just can't understand what makes it so impressive on those utility knife's quality? I mean best blades come from assembly line anyway, as there will be practically no defects and steel will be most accurately treated.

>>633955
That guy was hitting wet logs huge as hell. Of course the axe is gonna jump if it doesn't bite in. Anyway, what you want from hatchet isn't being able to split logs like that anyway, so who cares. To be honest, any 20$ axe could probably perform well enough in forest, but hifi people want absolute quality.

But gee, I never thought I was this autistic about axes. I guess it's just that watching youtube and having weird shit knife batoning and else crap has started to grind my gears, since it's every time a "what-the-fuck you doing" moment in there.
>>
>>633159
>Gränsfors Bruks Axes

Those are Swedish, i.e. European.

Also you aren't even allowed to put axes to use in the USA, so why the fuck do you Americans get them?

Chop down the dozen trees you have in your tiny backyard?
>>
File: 1447889561820.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1447889561820.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
>>633975
Can you blame him?
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 350x350
Husqvarna hatchet. Hand forged Swedish steel head and hickory handle. $40.

Not as pretty as the one you pay 3xs as much for, but just as good. I've split many logs with this hatchet.
>>
>>634185
nah they are all machine pressed
>>
What does /out/ recommend for babby's first sharpener?
>>
>>634233
costs about $2
>>
>>634024
>Also you aren't even allowed to put axes to use in the USA, so why the fuck do you Americans get them?
>Chop down the dozen trees you have in your tiny backyard?

I think you're confusing the USA with Europe.
>>
>>634024
Good thing we don't all live in Los Angeles. Hell my grandfather and used to split wood with a hydraulic splitter for the wood heater and camp fires. Sold the splitter after he passed because I couldnt take it when I moved but I still have all the old axe heads
>>
>>634189

It advertises itself as "hand forged" perhaps you have a source indicating otherwise?
>>
>>634263
everyone who knows shit about axes and reviewed then says it lacks any distinguishing feature that is usually attributed to handcrafted pieces.
>>
Marbles per our king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_EoTTcdJE
>>
>>634265

I think ou have it confused with a different axe
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>634265
>>634421

Forgot pic
>>
File: nl_norway_050413edit.jpg (104 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
nl_norway_050413edit.jpg
104 KB, 1200x800
>>634388
>our king
Our king uses a chainsaw.
>>
>>634388
Why do people keep posting this? It's not even under $20 anymore. He remarked it was good for the price but it's almost the same as an estwing and husqvarna and both of those I'd go with over the marbles.
>>
>>634470
I have an estwing, can confirm good hatchet. Got the double bit, 38oz, altered the angle on one bit do I've got a coping edge and a splitting edge. $38 for it, model EBDBA. 8/10 recommend.
>>
>>634487
>coping
*chopping*
Fuck.
>>
>>634421
>>634423
i most certainly don't
the surface looks uneven which is common characteristic of low quality shit where they don't clean the surface properly
i don't know the proper english word it's some oxidized steel shit that comes off in uneven pieces not actually hammer marks or anything.
>>
>>634487
I read a review on amazon for that thing and I laughed so hard. That's one bad ass cop wielding that thing if it's true.
>>
>>634160
Are Swedish chicks hotter than Finnish chicks?
>>
>>633192
Not the case in Canada, I see them everywhere.
>>
>>634604
finn chicks are autism made human form so i imagine yes
>>
>>634558

So do you have any sources for you conjecture?
>>
>>635063
aside from the obvious signs if you put an actual handmade axe side by side with a husqvarna...
well it's simple math really $60 for an husqvarna 26" "handforged" and "made in sweden"
$80 for a handforged axe made in hungary??
in sweden the average salary is 2825€, in hungary 532€. now tell me how could a swede blacksmith possibly beat a hungarian in price if they both making an axe by hand which is pretty labor intensive btw. even the granfors burke for $200+ is suspect for me but more realistic.
>>
>>635164
thinking about it the $2-300 range in price is probably due to mass production.
i bet a lot of time consuming processes are more streamlined and practiced a lot of the process can be made parallel like heat treat, more specific higher performance machinery is used and product templates are there to quickly assess your work so it's not impossible maybe.
a single handcrafted item will always be more expensive than if you make 10 or a 100.
>>
>>635164

Nigger do you have any idea how economics works?
>>
>>635178
This
Economies of scale fgt
>>
>>635164

Axe making is not that hard. I got a friend who has been a blade Smith for almost 20 yrs, when he does his classes, he teaches how to make an axe head first, due to how easy and forgiving it is.
>>
>>634596

>>634487 here.
Went looking, found the review, lol'd heartily. I think the cop had the tactical tomahawk though. I'm telling you, this axe is a mean mother fucker. If I had to buy another hatchet, would get again.
>>
>>634596
They should pay him for that review so they can use it in advertising.
He reminded me of those raids you saw filmed during prohibition and they're chopping barrels of booze up and letting them spill out.
Smashing security cameras makes sense too. I have a feeling the guy is legit.
>>
>>635199
>>635204
yes indeed economies of scale.

too bad they only really work when the product is complex and requires great added value like technology patents and know-how.
they also work when you forgo by hand manufacturing in favor of automatics.

economies of scale do not really apply to handmade by skilled craftsman type of situations at all. that is why these products are expensive and sought after less corners are cut more attention and care is given to each individual piece.

as i posted here >>635164 they must work to a degree, but usually you achieve further reduction of cost by outsourcing your "handmade" stuff to shitholes like india and china or they are not handmade anymore than an intel cpu.
>>
sure is /pol/ in here.
>>
File: PICT0017.jpg (451 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
PICT0017.jpg
451 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>635255
>economies of scale do not really apply to handmade by skilled craftsman type of situations at all.

Not true at all.
Buy buying material in bulk you can save money right there.
And there are other ways to save money that isn't cutting corners.
>>
>>635257
Damn, some of those are wild designs. What's the purpose of that hook shape on the one all the way to the right? Also curious about the difference in heads/handles in regards to performance.
>>
>>635271
So you can get your hand behind the head if you're using the axe to strip off bark or something. Easier to maneuver.
>>
>>635255

Husqvarna axe heads are forged by Swedish companies such as Hults Bruks

Do you have any reliable info that states otherwise?
>>
>>635309
you think this is what "handforged" means
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7R3hdW-Fs
this is what "handforged" actually looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWBfiUpe48
yeah
there is a guy that's putting the steel into certain shaped machine-hammer-anvil in a certain order without giving much fuck about it all
they also claim it's made of swedish steel not that they make most of them in sweden if you read it carefully
>>
>>635269
yeah sure take an item where 80% of the cost is the cost of labor
getting the materials in bulk gonna make it 50% cheaper than it should be kek
no what makes it so cheap is that it's not made by a human being in like 90% of it
>>
>>635325
>you think this is what hand forged means

No it's not you turbo fag. You said it was stamped steel, which you're wrong. It's forged steel
And it's made in factories in Sweden with Swedish steel.
>>
>>635332
what? they literally just stamp it out same as an assembly line, also the steel is not forged but mass produced in furnace
>>
>>635333

Do you know what the difference is between forged steel and stamped steel?
>>
>>635336
nothing really you press metal into whatever form you want
but i did not actually said it was stamped i said it was not hand forged and that if a granfors burke that costs $300 is made in 3 minutes then husqvarna that costs $60 is not gonna be made with the same process it's gonna come off an automated line and the only time a human being touches it is when he puts the handle in pushes it into a machine that wedges the head and puts it in a box all done in 10 seconds.
>>
>>635332
>turbo fag

Lol, that's something I would expect to see on /o/

>>635288
I'm assuming it also protects your knuckles?
>>
Knife: Opinel. Aside from self defense or actual survival an opinel is all you'll ever need.
Saw: I have a sandvik Laplander (before they became bahco) and it's great I don't see why the bahcos would be much different. Silky is probably better but pricy.
Hatchet: Gransfors is probably best as far as production axes go, but if I was going to buy a brand new hatchet I'd go for a custom from someone like Liam Hoffman, Toronto blacksmith, Aeron Cergol, or another good blacksmith. Personally I think Neeman and Autine are overhyped and I've heard of bad dealings from them. Plus there's a massive fucking waiting list and who wants that shit.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.