[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stealth camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 2014-03-15-18-00-35.jpg (114 KB, 741x843) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-15-18-00-35.jpg
114 KB, 741x843
Hey guys

I recently bought 3 camo tarps and maybe like 4m X 2m of camo netting, i have a tent thats in camo too and i was going to take a mate out this weekend to practice setting up a hidden campsite. Can /out/ give me any techniques, ideas, strategies, materials, other items it might be worth my while buying?

Thanks guys! - pic not relevant... just a pic
>>
>>630407
Stay out of hunting areas if you're going stealth. Hunters will sometimes shoot at any large moving object. Otherwise, just make sure everything is dark green or black. Set up after dark, tear down before light. Its not rocket surgery.

I've parked my bike five feet off the road, threw my tarp over it and layed out my bivy and haven't been spotted. People have really poor peripheral vision, unless there's movement. As long as you're still, you could probably be leaning against a fencepost and your typical commuter wouldn't notice you.
>>
dig into the ground a bit for natural weather cover, keep the tarp low, you dont really need a tent, insulate the ground with foliage
>>
>>630445
>Stay out of hunting areas if you're going stealth.
horrible advice, out of season, hunting areas are the best spots(in canada at least) for stealth camping.

very small plots(30-50 acres) are often unhunted an forgotten year round.

stay the fuck out of the large ones though, unless you know your spot well, youll probably find non hunters passing through who will snitch on you.

ive stealth camped a lot and hunting areas are the only ones ive found that have afforded the opportunity to have a fire and not worry about being overexposed.
>>
I stealth camp with a red tent. Just set up near the end of the day and leave early in the morning. Don't have a fire and don't be visible from roads/trails.
>>
>>630531
Are all you stealth campers bicyclists, hikers or hobos?

Is it possible to do this while traveling with a vehicle or does that give it away?
>>
>>630544
I do it while cycling. I wouldn't recommend anything bigger.

You can push a bike between some trees or up/down a steep slope with minimal effort, but a car or motorcycle isn't going to fare too well without a path of some sort, which makes storing it stealthily much harder.
>>
>>630519
Snitch? Are you not allowed to camp in area where people hunt? I'm not a hunter, myself, but I believe that it's BLM land we hunt on. That's open to camping, but if you run into a GW, they may ask to see a hunting license if you're carrying.

>>630544
Stealth doesn't necessarily mean illegal, but it can be if you don't have permission to use the property. But either way, if you're a hiker or bicyclist you need to at least be prepared for it, because you won't always be able to find a place to set down.

I use lights instead of reflectors on my bike, just so that when I do have to stealth I'm not drawing extra attention.

As far as hobos go it would be the same, unless you mean bums, in which case they're probably stealthing in public parks and abandoned lots, which is always illegal and they're probably staying for longer periods of time, rather than just trying to get some sleep and move on.

I highly recommend the SOL escape bivy in OD green for stealth camping. No trying to set up a tent in the dark, just roll it out and crawl in. A thermalite extreme liner and closed cell foam pad work well with this system.
>>
>>630552
Dirt bike master race
>>
As several have said, stealth camping is stupid easy. I've camped on beaches on special forces navy bases, and on private hunting grounds, suburban woodlands, and the like. Never had a problem. Just pick a secluded spot that you don't suspect anyone who isn't as adventurous would go to.
>>
>>631098
One day I'll get one. I probably should have gotten a decent dual sport for my first bike but I didn't.

How do you camp, any tips?
>>
>>631200
This. I'm a britbong and almost all camping is stealth camping for me. Got a green basha & lightweight bivvy & use local veg for extra camo. Dakota holes work well too.

Quite possible to set up one of those rigs within 10ft of a trail and be completely ignored. Only person I've seen in months worth of camping in smallish 5 or 10 acre copses was a college hipster in full lumberjack taking pictures of mushrooms.

I lived in CA for a while and found the same thing.. even most backpackers stay in established or predictable sites close to amenities, lakes and such. Walk a mile up a trail, turn at a right angle, walk 100 yards.. guaranteed solitude.
>>
>>630544
>>630552
I have actually stealth camped with two cars and about 6 people. I would not recommend it for most situations. You need to know the area decently well and even then it is still risky

Basically there was a closed road that where we pushed the barrier out of the way, drove past it, put it back, and drove about a mile down the road. It went really well, but the area wasn't well traveled and had 2 people to patrol it for a massive area so they weren't likely to check where we camped out.
>>
>>630544
Hobo here. I stealth camp with a 9x6 tarp and a bivy
>>
>>632408
How do you get internet connection?
>>
>>632415
Not him, but my money's on public libraries.
>>
>>631249
This, brit here too. I walk into the forest on a path then cut off into some denser foliage. Woods near me are dense so as long as most of your gear is natural colours you'll be fine.
Personally I have to tie a coloured jumper round a tree near camp when I go to collect firewood, it's very easy to overlook a green tarp in dense shady woodland.

Or you can go full rambo mode and build a natural shelter, no one will find you even if they get close. Most people stick to the path though, the only peopler that don't are dirt bikers but they stick to their tracks
>>
>>630519
dude i have built fires in national forests full of tourists where you can't legally and nobody ever saw anything. find a secluded spot with no direct vision to from trails and either use wood-gas stove which makes no smoke or make fire at night nobody will see the smoke and a few dozen steps from a trail nobody will see the fire either if it's hidden from line of sight. not that anyone is in the woods at night.
>>
>>633494
Dakota fire hole?
>>
>>633659
nah i just make bonfires mostly.
you find a ditch off trail and off sight and make fire nobody sees it.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.