[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is North Face actually worth anything (not even asking if they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 13982poster.jpg (215 KB, 1000x1399) Image search: [Google]
13982poster.jpg
215 KB, 1000x1399
Is North Face actually worth anything (not even asking if they are worth the price they ask, they obviously aren't)? If I get their most expensive jacket or someshit will it actually be somehow better than a generic windbreaker with a generic felt jacket underneath?

By generic I mean walmart-tier.
>>
File: tri.jpg (48 KB, 634x700) Image search: [Google]
tri.jpg
48 KB, 634x700
>>629966
>will it actually be somehow better than a generic windbreaker with a generic felt jacket underneath?
i don't know, but i imagine that hyvent is more breathable then your generic windbreaker. I have pic related and pretty happy with it.
>>
Yes, because it says Northface on it.
>>
>>629966

Some counted things yes.

North Face is imo mid-tier at high tier prices.

Not the best, close to Columbia and Patagonia.

Arc'teryx and Fjällräven is where the meta is at, and Häglofs has some nice things too.
>>
>>629966
walmart tier is probably not that bad. i went in to walmart for some underwear and long johns last week and i saw some pretty good looking soft shell jackets.

north face clothes are pretty much shit.

north face does make some great tents.
>>
>>630010
IMO Arc'Teryx > Patagonia = Black Diamond = Marmot > MontBell = RAB = Mountain Hardwear = Outdoor Research > TNF >> Columbia > Walmart.

TNF is hit or miss, but their Summit Series stuff is still high quality.

Columbia is "I only go outside to walk to my car" tier.

Fjallraven and Canada Goose are usually quality, but way overpriced fashion tier.
>>
>>629966
To some degree the materials might be "better" (i.e. lighter for the same properties, or a bit more durable). In a windbreaker jacket for normal use - let's say 50 days a year on 2000-3000m mountains in reasonable weather - you won't see the difference. And much much less so for casual use (commuting to work, hiking).

Where brand clothing has the most apparent advantage over wal-mart tier and milsurp /out/clothing is fit and fashion: They get new stuff every year in whatever colors are trendy and their various sizes probably fit more people better. Usually they also have better quality zippers and stuff like that. Often you find features you probably don't need on them that cheap stuff doesn't have (extra pockets for example). So in that sense, they're definitely better garments.

And of course you don't buy that shit on full price, you wait for clearance sales at the end of the respective season.
>>
>>630025
p good ratings

my shell jacket is TNF. while I wish I got something better, it will last for years and I got it on sale and does what I want it to (pack small and keep the rain off).

so yeah OP, they're worth buying, if its something you want, will be practical and the price suits you.
>>
>>629966
Why is this kid so smug?
>>
>>629966
TNF has a really Bro reputation, but you can find good clothing in their lines. Their Summit series stands out as excellent, people wear their jackets scaling Everest, no joke. And inb4 Everest is for pussies.

Don't buy full price, their are always clearance sales where you can find it 50% or more off.

Also they are simply going to look better than Walmart tier. Better Fit, better colors.
>>
>>629966
North Face used to be top of the line. It's still decent but overpriced and too /fa/ oriented as they diversified, just like a lot of formerly good brands have become. Yes, it's better than wal-mart garbage.
>>
>>629966
TNF still makes good stuff. Like any larger brand, their products have a pretty wide range in terms of quality.
>>
I would say it's 70% brand name and 30% good shit.

I got this fleece and some nice board shorts and i was really surprised by the quality. But i also have some sweatpants by them which were probably like 50$ and about the same quality as walmart, maybe a little better.
>>
Agree with most here. TNF now is mostly fashion, with some decent stuff mixed in. I write this as I'm wearing a full zip TNF hoodie. Just a cotton hoodie, but fits nice and is made well. Got it on the clearance rack at Gander Mtn for $20.... agree with not paying full price, places like Gander have it in clearance all the time.

I have a denali vest from TNF. Just like the kid in OP'S pic, I ly without sleeves, in all black. It's really warm, and I love it. I wear it /out/ all the time.

The /fa/ type TNF gear is too expensive, but it made well and fits me awesome. Like I said, buy it on clearance. I've gotten a few things as gifts. I have a base layer shirt that's nice, a full zip hoodie that's good, the denali vest that's amazing, and another zip hoodie that's shit.

Walmart stuff can be surprising, sometimes it's good stuff, and cheap. You can tell pretty quick what is and isn't good there.

Columbia? Their fleece stuff is nice, some of their shoes are ok. They have decent prices, and seem to fit well. I'm not climbing everest (as one other anon said) in Columbia gear, so it works just fine for hiking/camping.
>>
>>630090
Hard to screw up a fleece, and TNF has a good fit for me. I'd wear this fo sho
>>
I picked up a North Face thermoball jacket at the last REI garage sale. I'm pretty impressed with it. It's probably not as warm as my real down, but it layers a bit easier and it dries fast.
>>
>>630010
Got the Acr'teryx Atom LT. Best jacket I've ever owned. Super high quality stuff.
>>
File: cant-believe-youre-human-wim.jpg (155 KB, 765x510) Image search: [Google]
cant-believe-youre-human-wim.jpg
155 KB, 765x510
>>630044
>And inb4 Everest is for pussies.

It is tho.
>>
>>629966

Just get a solid Columbia jacket. You'll probably save $50 on something made of the same material.
>>
>>630263
Kek. He didn't make it anywhere close to the summit.
>>
>>629966
I have a 3 in 1 Gore-Tex jacket by Northface and a McMurdo Parka.

The 3 in 1 is great as a shell for the summer.
Though a columbia jacket with a innerlayer would do the job and cost half the price.

the McMurdo was completely worth it, I bought it on a hude sale for 200 bucks. I live in Siberia so I have to wear a heavy coat like that everyday for atleast 4 months.
>>
>>630125
Cerium LT here. Fucking love it. Needs a drawstring at the bottom though.
>>
>>630269

Columbia's micro dot thermal mylar stuff is fucking wizardry
>>
>>630025

LOL

Dude Mountain Hardwear is far better than that hipster-grade rat skeleton attire you invoked.. unless you wanna go DEVGRU/Secret Squirrel shit and get the LEAF overpriced plastickwear clothing...
>>
I personally have a TNF bag and a pear of sneakers for daily wear. Still satisfied with it.
>>
I got a $300 spyder jacket for under $100 on clearance, is it just a piece of meme clothing?
>>
>>631150
Their monkey man fleece is so cozy.
>>
>>630037
>Northface
Must you ask?
>>
How do you guys rate Berghaus?
>>
File: pear-turquoise-babys-shoes.jpg (16 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
pear-turquoise-babys-shoes.jpg
16 KB, 450x450
>>631479
>pear of sneakers
>pear
>>
I picked up a north face parka to face the alberta winter, will report back in april with results

seems pretty warm though
>>
>>630699
>>630263
Source? Can't find any reliable shit on the dude.
>>
That's pretty dumb.

I can imagine the extreme sunburns he's gonna have.

I mean at least use goggles he's gonna go blind too.

And why is he using sandals and a headband? He's a true man but only sometimes?

Why isnt he naked?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.