[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ I might be going in nature for long periods of time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
Hey /out/ I might be going in nature for long periods of time and I want to make a thread about how to eat healthy while /out/.
So far for my protein needs I am going to stock up on beef jerky, cans of fish and packets of peanut butter(with rice cakes and crackers). For carbs/fruit I will bring dates/freeze dried fruit. I also want to consume greens while /out/ so I have looked into green drink powders(aka spirulina and others), and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I wouldn't be able to wander nature for weeks at a time without consuming greens, I would get too constipated and feel terrible. Pic related is spirulina.
>>
http://www.iherb.com/Amazing-Grass-Amazing-Meal-Original-10-Individual-Packets-22-g-Each/18228?gclid=CL-6_ue9jskCFYkBaQodNE0K_g

Also found these. Seem pretty good. Anyone tried these?
>>
File: 1447118528242.png (1013 KB, 736x935) Image search: [Google]
1447118528242.png
1013 KB, 736x935
making a list feel free to add to it
-meat jerkies
-cans of beans and fish
-nuts and peanut butter
-freeze dried and dried fruit
-green powders
-protein bars
-dark chocolate
-chia seeds
-tortillas/crackers/matzah bread/rice cakes/cereal
-water
-multivitamins

I've tried google and I'm not finding any helpful ideas or lists. plz help senpai. Thanks :)
>>
File: 1445350860692.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445350860692.jpg
405 KB, 1920x1080
Also preferably stuff that doesn't need cooking. I'm not bringing cooking gear because I need to stay lightweight. Thanks Faam
>>
>>629777
Will where you're going have plenty of water? If so look into powdered peanutbutter to cut down on weight.

Everyone thinks I'm weird when I do it until they try it, but I also like taking muffin mix packets with me for when I want something sweet, I eat them straight up without water.
>>
>>629796
I'm not sure. I'm bringing a backpack of water but I doubt i would be able to use any for that. Plus ive tried powdered PB and Its kind of gross lol. I prefer Justins packets of PB. I plan on buying a life straw so I can drink from a random puddle if I have to. I just wish there was a better way to backpack with fruits and vegetables. I just found out they sell these little almond milks. Should be great they don't need refrigeration and help with calcium
>>
>>629787
>I'm not bringing cooking gear
That could get tough when you /out/ prolonged. You can get a Ti Pot weighting a couple grams, a little fire and you are good for hot meals and beverages.

I often forage a bit when hiking. few fresh greens here and there to get my vitamins and spice up the food. If you know what you are looking for you can easily collect a cup full of edibles in no time.
>>
File: sas_survival_handbook_2.jpg (56 KB, 500x606) Image search: [Google]
sas_survival_handbook_2.jpg
56 KB, 500x606
>>629798
Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-CUP-375-Titanium-375ml-Cup/dp/B009AP2ZFY/ref=pd_sim_468_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=41esHFL3QJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ADN4HV998VJZDGMH3AW

I have pic related so im also gonna try foraging some wild greens and berries. I've never done it so I'm excited
>>
>>629799
Toaks is a good brand, I'd personally take something bigger, like this 750mm http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium750mlpotBH.aspx

bail handle is handy when you use open fire.
Get a real guide on edible plants, on that area that you plan to visit. It is important to know what is edible, what is poisonous and what is in season at the time of your visit.
>>
>>629800
Good advice thanks
>>
File: Mullberrys.jpg (1 MB, 1716x1287) Image search: [Google]
Mullberrys.jpg
1 MB, 1716x1287
>>629784
>-chia seeds
,, hmong beans,, etc.,
, Sprouts, is what your looking for., greens in a white world!, nocooking,, liteweight.
,,, but keep an eye out, for Dandilions, YUMMY!
>>
If you're going to be out for long periods you're going to need more water than you can carry in your pack. So you should really stick to dry foods or stuff that can be cooked or dehydrated. Without a water source your trip is a nonstarter. Cooking equipment can be super light so rather than canned beans take dried beans, etc..
>>
>not bringing a pot
Get a lightweight pot that nests with the water bottle you are bringing and so does not take up any extra space. A pot is literally the first thing you bring when going out in nature for, in your own words, long periods of time.
You can cook with it and sterilize water with it mainly, along with dozens other uses
>>
File: cholorifill.jpg (251 KB, 1059x696) Image search: [Google]
cholorifill.jpg
251 KB, 1059x696
>>
Pumpkin seeds and coconuts
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.