[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the early stages of planning a motocamping trip that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Powerenz photos 174.jpg (32 KB, 390x292) Image search: [Google]
Powerenz photos 174.jpg
32 KB, 390x292
I'm in the early stages of planning a motocamping trip that I will take next year and am looking for suggestions on how to recharge laptop/camera/phone batteries while away from civilization.

I record videos and take a lot of photos when I travel. I'm hoping to do some moto-travel vlogging while on this trip. It seems like power banks are good for cell phones, maybe a gopro, but not a dslr or laptop battery. I obviously can't take a generator with me. I'll have a look into a solar charger but I don't think those small portable ones are able to charge a laptop. Any suggestions?
>>
Dude, you're *riding* a generator.
>>
Yes, some knives in the drawer are not very sharp!
>>
Get a 12v DC to 240v AC inverter for your car.

Then get a moderately large solar panel, bolt it to your roof and wire it into your car battery so you can't do something stupid like run it flat at the bottom of a hill in the middle of nowhere. The panel will trickle charge the battery.
>>
That corner of the panel in the shade is triggering my autism
>>
File: motomaster-eliminator.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
motomaster-eliminator.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>629743
Motomaster Eliminator (pic related) + power inverter. The Eliminator is a battery in a box with enough circuitry to plug in your laptop/dslr charger, and also jump-start your car. Charge it using the inverter while the engine is running or when you find a handy power outlet.
>>
File: coffee_cup_inverter.jpg (19 KB, 400x457) Image search: [Google]
coffee_cup_inverter.jpg
19 KB, 400x457
Coffee cup inverter
>>
>>629765
Scratch the inverter, you can charge those things straight from the 12v plug in your car.
>>
Did you guys even read my post? I'm going motocamping as in on a motorcycle. The batteries on pretty much all motorbikes are tiny and drain in no time at all.

>>629749
Thanks.

>>629765
I would love to take something like this but no room on a bike obviously.
>>
>>629778
>The batteries on pretty much all motorbikes are tiny and drain in no time at all.
There is such a thing as heated riding gear which is intended to plug into your motorcycle's power system to keep you warm while riding, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your bike as a power source. At the least, you could set up your laptop to charge while you're riding.
>>
>>629778
>motocamping
Never heard of it. How long will you be out for? Will you have a chance to plug into a regular grid occasionally? What voltage does your laptop/DSLR charge at? Will the area you'll be in have enough sunlight to make solar worth it? How about wind? How about micro-hydro? Is there enough output from your alternator to charge something while you ride? What kind of weight/space restrictions do you have?
>>
File: DSC06223-L.jpg (145 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC06223-L.jpg
145 KB, 800x600
>>629778
Spend some money on an upgraded stator/reg-rect. Or pull it apart and wind it yourself, filling the poles.

I got another 20-30 watts out of rewinding mine (brings me up to ~100W total). >Pic related. Battery charges faster, and I can run heated grips along with the headlight.

If you have (or can install) a 3-phase stator, that's going to give you significantly more power since the conversion from 3Φ to DC is a lot more efficient.
>>
Portable solar sufficient to charge a laptop in a reasonable amount of time does exist but is huge and expensive (see your pic)

Just charge it from your car
>>
>>629755
> I'm in your corner

Op, Suntactics S14.

You're welcome.
>>
why dont you make stops at mc Donalds or starbucks thats how i charge my shit when im traveling
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.