[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food tips for backpacking meals requested. Whenever I go out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: MGTOW.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Food tips for backpacking meals requested.
Whenever I go out I freeze milk and put it in my pack with my food.
This I wrap with any clothing or other cloth and put in the center of my pack. If its not too hot this will keep everything cold for several days. The milk is handy for coffee or pancakes or other things you might cook on the trail.
Remember , you can freeze milk but not half and half.
What do you eat while /out/?
>>
File: Apricots-CA-Extra-Fancy.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Apricots-CA-Extra-Fancy.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
OP bumping with slab apricots from trader joes.
Holy shit these things are delicious and will get you through a morning hike.
MIx them in with steel cut oats and some milk f
>>
>>628794
A handful of dried apricots always gives me the shits. I prefer firm stools when out, because I don't have to pack as much TP. Just a thing to keep in mind for anyone who plans on just taking these and peanuts. Also, almonds are great as a trail food, but you've got to keep the amount fairly low. Eating too many almonds will result in cyanide poisoning. Its not enough to suicide, mind you, just makes for an awful migraine.
>>
>>628767
>jizz bottles
>in a food thread
What has become of this board?
>>
>>628794
trader joes has some top tier dried fruit and tons of nuts for a good price
>>
>>628845
Did you get permab& from /ck/ as well?
>>
>>628845
Seconded, also that cheap wine i buy it by the case.
>>
File: IMG_1218.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1218.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>628856
I'm not banned from anywhere
>>
>>628822
>Eating too many almonds will result in cyanide poisoning.
I highly doubt that anyone is going to eat half a pound or more of almonds. The chances of getting poisoning from them is really low. Pretty sure you're bait though.
>>
how about just a can of tuna in oil with a loaf of french/italian bread?
>>
>>628914
No mayo?
What provides the lube?
Dry tuna does not go down easy
>>
>>628919
the tuna being packed in oil instead of water
>>
>>628879
Did you sperg out before you finished his post? Autist
>>
>>628767
bring pancake mix on some squeezable bottle and powdered milk to be honest

i find that everything based on powder made for just adding water (shitty store sauces, spice mixes, porridge etc.) works great as a base for added veggies and maybe some dry sausage when out.
>>
>>628822
When I was much younger, nobody had explained to me the relationship between the food you eat and your bowel movements. I found a bag of roasted almonds, and ended up eating a full pound by gradually snacking away over the course of the afternoon. The next bowel movement made me feel like I was going to die. I was in that bathroom for hours.
>>
>>628879
>>629080 Apparently did.
>>
It might not taste as good but I would have chosen milk powder.
>>
>>629010
Are you stupid? I said what i needed to.
>>
>>629080
Welp, I stand corrected on the amount of almonds eaten in a day but not about the poisoning part.
>>
I have never been on any long term trips so I have been quite happy just eating the basics: jerky, trail bars, nuts, MRE items, mountain house, or if someone is bringing a cooler hot dog/burger/steak.
>>
Peanut butter
Nuts
Dried fruit
Cured meats
Cheese
>>
>>628879
>>629352
No bait, just trying to keep hikers from getting headaches. Maybe some people are more susceptible than others or maybe it was just a bad batch of almonds but it happened three times before I figured out what was causing it, I'd just been snacking on them while watching television.

Hydrogen cyanide can be refined from any pitted fruit, almonds included.
>>
>>630214
Next time try activated almonds.
>>
>>628836
I didn't figure Jizzus for someone that frequented /out/.
>>
>>628767
never thought of that, might try in the summer.
in the spring and fall you could just carry it around in canada.
>>
>>628767
wtf man that looks like the jizz collectors handiwork
>>
If you put a wet cloth over a metal canteen and put it in the sun you get a makeshift fridge. Handy for chilling beers a few days in
>>
>>630514
that cant be true
>>
>>628836
Laughed desu
>>
Whenever I go backpacking I just eat random plants when I get hungry. I usually puke at least twice a day when i'm out so I make sure to eat more than my fill so puking takes less of a toll on my body. I once got so tired from backpacking that I just passed out for 18 hours and woke up in a puddle of my own vomit. This has lead me to eat extra random berries as the sugary goodness will keep me going longer.
>>
>>630539
Not the guy above, but I can explain the process.

The weak bindings that hold the H2O-molecules together breaks free when water goes from a liquid state to a gas. This process needs energy (heat) drawn from everything around it, so the surrounding area loses heat for the water to evaporate.
>>
>>628767
When I saw this picture I thought it was jizz, then I realised I'm not on /b/ and it's not Christmas yet.
>>
>>630559
>how sweating works
>>
>>630573
Any jizz looking photos you saw on /b/ are probably milk as well.
When it freezes it takes on a yellowish tinge . Really creepy looking .
When it thaws out again it just looks and tastes like normal milk.
>>
I saw those bottle pics and I thought I was on /b/ and it was full of semen.....
>>
>>629054
Just buy the "complete" pancake mix where you just add water, I use Hungary Jack brand.
>>
>>629080
Usually nuts lock me up for days on end.
Are you saying they gave you the diareahs?
>>
>>630641
>hungary jack
>>
>>628767
I had to stop scrolling and make sure these weren't jizz bottles and that I wasn't on /b/

Freezing milk seems ridiculous. You have to thaw it. Pain in the ass.
>>
>>630281
Thank you for the great tip, friend :^)
>>630668
What are you implying?
>>
>>631273
You dont use the milk on the first day
>>
>>631287
What's the point of bringing in something you can't use when you want to?
>>
>>631281
Presumably that Jack should be peckish rather than Hungarian.
>>
>>631288
Wow. You're a huge faggot. Allow me to state the following, which should be obvious save for the fact that you're on 4chan: the world is not filled with instant gratification. You would do well to learn that.
>>
>>631291
You're missing my point. I'm not saying gib now pls.
My philosophy is whatever you take out with you you should be able to use whenever you need it.
I'm more talking about an emergency situation than anything.
And it's a waste to bring in milk, use the powdered stuff and add water. Much more efficient.
>>
>>628767
Or you could just pack some powdered milk. I prefer nestle nido powdered whole milk. You dont have to worry about thawing, It will not spoil on you and it will weight much less.
>>
>>631288
Do you actually backpack or do you just collect gear?
Many people plan out each meal before they even leave . Everything is purchased and packed in order. Fresh food is eaten first so it does not go bad then dried stuff,
One frozen bottle of milk buys you an extra day of fresh food.
>>
>>631292
I concede your point. Moreover, I agree with your sentiment; I don't take perishables innawoods myself. For someone who does, though, the whole frozen milk thing would be a viable method of keeping cold things chilled.
>>
>>631296
Neither actually.
I'm planning on it when I'm recovered from surgery, which is going to be a few months.
That makes sense but wouldn't it be better to freeze water instead?
>>
>>631298
Yes if you dont like fresh milk then freeze water.
I freeze milk because I fucking love milk and can use it for cooking, coffee, or just cereal.
If you dont drink milk at home you wont want it on the trail.
>>
>>631298
>recovering from surgery
Gastric bypass?
>>
>>631300
But I love milk. Is the powder milk too shitty?
>>631301
I kek'd but no. Major back surgery.
>>
>>631304
Non fat powdered milk = shitty
Powdered whole milk = acceptable

As far as brands go nestle nido is best imho.
>>
>>631304
>Is the powder milk too shitty
I think its awful and it costs about three times as much. Probably good for cooking though, have not tried it.
>>
>>631305
>>631306
Thanks
>>
>>631307
Sure thing anon, heal fast.
>>
>>631314
Thanks. If I'm lucky I'll go on my motorcycle camping adventure. Not as hardcore as you all but it's a start, right?
>>
>>631317
Not everyone here is a hardcore backpacker.
Many people car camp with coolers and BBQs
Just dont be a gearslut that never goes anywhere.

Motorcycle and tender back
I trust you are going to run that one by your doc right?
My back kills after a day on the bike.
>>
>>631322
>I trust you are going to run that one by your doc right?

Yes, most def. I still don't know what this implant can and can't do.
>>
>>628767
Forgot to ask about coffee.
How do you make it and what do you use etc
>>
File: freezerbag meal.png (1 MB, 1726x1258) Image search: [Google]
freezerbag meal.png
1 MB, 1726x1258
I cook out of freezer bags usually.

I'll buy bagged chicken or tuna and dried pasta/rice sides and throw them in a freezer bag with boiled water. Using 1~2 cups of water and about 10 minutes I can have a quick, pretty decent, high calorie meal for roughly $3~4. Cheaper if I buy in bulk.

For breakfast I'll just throw oats and brown sugar into a bag and cook that with hot water. I usually have some starbucks instant coffee that I'll throw into my remaining water after cooking.

In between cooking I usually eat high calorie energy bars, and peanut butter snack crackers.
>>
>>632178
Pasta does not cook at high elevation anon , on the east coast you should be fine though
>>
Instant oats, some brown sugar, and dried fruit makes for a minimal carry and good meal.
>>
>>632178
Any other hot meals involving tuna? I seem to remember one involving burning the packing oil with a wick.
>>
>>628794
those look like little oompa loompa beef curtains
>>
Rice and spices. And a .22 for small game. What else could you need faggot?
>>
>>634350
>Pasta does not cook at high elevation
Yeah it does, it just takes like 3-5 mins longer at say, 7000 ft than at sea level.
>>
>>635622
I live at almost 8000ft. I can cook pasta here but it takes over twice as long. 10k is much worse.
Over that and it will not cook at all.
>>
>>635647
Why?
I understand that because of the decreased air pressure the boiling point is lower but that shouldn't mean you can't get the temp up to 100C/212F

Just need a thermometer I would surmise.
>>
>>632178

Can you explain your actual process? Like you put the frozen chicken pack near whatever is cold in your pack, make camp and fire and boil water, and pour that shit in a freezer bag with chicken and pasta shit and it cooks the chicken and makes a stew like thing?
>>
>>635666
as pressure decreases, the boiling point goes down.
>>
>>635666
You cannot exceed the boiling point.
Say you live at sea level, you will never get water hotter than 212 without a pressure cooker.
Physics is neat stuff.
>>
>>635671
>>635672
Thanks, I didn't know that pressure also controlled how hot something could get.
>>
>>635678
This one little tidbit of info comes in super handy when camping out west.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.