[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morning, sc/out/s. I'm planning a sort of national parks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Chauvet Cave.jpg (641 KB, 3500x2333) Image search: [Google]
Chauvet Cave.jpg
641 KB, 3500x2333
Morning, sc/out/s.
I'm planning a sort of national parks tour for the summer, where I'll be dispersed camping my lonesome way east to west across the States.

I'll be in bear and cougar and wolf territory, for the first real time ever (never encountered a grey wolf in Michigan)
So I was curious about defense, and how to properly protect myself.

Is avoidance the way to go? running into dangerous wildlife seems like something that can just happen, despite precautions.
I do own and would probably be taking my bolt .22, for small game and the like, but I dont think Ill be able to work da bolt and put down a brown bear if it really comes to it.

So I was thinking of getting a backpacking rifle, possibly the Kel Tec sub2000.
What are the laws pertaining to carrying rifles across state lines and into forests? Or, where can I find the answers to these questions?

Any advice welcomed
>>
>>628758
You can carry rifles in all the national parks and I would highly advise. Wolves are becoming much more of a problem but not nearly as bad as mountain lions and bears.

So yes bring a rifle and maybe a backup pistol if you get stuck cornered in a tree or middle of the night. Practice shooting moving targets because these animals are very fast.
>>
File: Nile Delta.jpg (46 KB, 640x310) Image search: [Google]
Nile Delta.jpg
46 KB, 640x310
>>628772
Thanks, Anon.

Bump.
>>
>>628758
Take a can of bear spray, it works on wolves for sure.
>>
>>628758
carry a stick! nothing will mess with you.
>>
>>628758
Be careful in the national parks michibro. People go missing all the time, even while carrying a gun.
>>
>>629312
True, a weapon won't save you from hypothermia, falling off a cliff, getting lost. All of which happen when eastern city boys visit the west to play outdoorsman
>>
>>629312
>>629318
Missing 411
>>
File: IMG_20151003_034431.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151003_034431.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
.44 magnum Desert Eagle or nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
>>
Wolves aren't normally a problem. They'll avoid you if you avoid them. Besides, it's rare to encounter a wolf these days. Bears would be more of a problem. If you stay out at night, just leave your food away from your tent. If you feel safer carrying a gun for protection it wouldn't be a bad idea but I don't believe you will have to use it.
>>
>>629427
>nice gun
>shittiest holster ever.
>>
>>628758
honestly bear spray is enough.

I have dealt with all 3 at some point. bears 99/100 times will take a look at you and be on their way. Your real danger is in startling them or encountering them in fall before they hibernate when they are trying to put on pounds. Wear a bear bell to be safer. Even with a rifle your chances of stopping a bear are just so-so.

wolves. never had much issue with them. They were howling maybe 30-50 feet from my camp once but didn't bug me. They can kill people though but generally winter is a more likely time when they are starving.

Cougars most likely you won't even see coming. This is the one where I'd prefer a gun if I did see one. They can and will stalk you. Make yourself look big. If you hear a sound like a woman screaming at night this is a female cougar in heat. When I was out in the mountains this summer I had a knife in easy reach at all times just in case I was jumped by a cougar. These things scare the shit out of me. Be extra cautious when alone. These things especially are dangerous for little kids that run up ahead on a trail.
>>
Not really worth worrying about but I would bring a gun anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.