[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the most /out/-tier colleges in the US?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: university of colorado boulder.jpg (182 KB, 1554x800) Image search: [Google]
university of colorado boulder.jpg
182 KB, 1554x800
What are some of the most /out/-tier colleges in the US?
>>
>>627301
(name of state) school of mines.
>>
File: Wyoming.gif (45 KB, 495x846) Image search: [Google]
Wyoming.gif
45 KB, 495x846
>>627301
Highest elevation 4-year school in the US.
>>
Unity College in Unity, Maine.
>>
Trinidad
>>
>>627304
I almost went to CO School of Mines. Kinda regret not going there.
>>
>>627318
Don't the girl to guy ratio is 1 girl for every 5 guys. And even if you don't care about that, there is no time to spend outdoors because you are studying the whole time. For example if you are an engineering student you maybe have 5 hours of free time a week.
>>
Colorado College
>>
File: image.jpg (840 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
840 KB, 1536x2048
University of Tennessee Chattanooga. We got the Smokies and the Tennessee River.

Pic related
>>
I would say Southern Utah. They have an Outdoor Recreation in Parks and Tourism BA. The Mojave Desert, Kolob Canyon and Zion National Park are all less than an hour away, and Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Cedar Breaks and Pine View Mountains are all about an hour and a half to two hours away.
>>
File: suu.jpg (148 KB, 445x280) Image search: [Google]
suu.jpg
148 KB, 445x280
>>627389
forgot the campus pic.
>>
UC Santa Cruz, campus is literally in the redwood forest
>>
>>627425
It's literally 99.9% drum circles of stoned idiots. Not to mention that the locals hate everyone affiliated with the university.
>>
Potsdam n Platts in the 'dacks!
>>
>>627359
Poor Chattanooga. It has such a great location, but nobody wants to move there.
>>
>>627301
Didn't we do this thread a couple of weeks ago?

Anyway, I played basketball at Montana Stare in Bozeman and it was spectacularly /out/ tier. Bozeman is great and there is plenty of shit to do there, but you are also get to great skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, rafting, rock climbing, etc etc, within a few hours drive.

Also if you want to help excavate whacked out dinosaur bones in the middle of nowhere, it is the best place on earth.
>>
>>627337
>>627833
Since you want more, I will flesh out why I believe CC is the best /out/ post-secondary institution.

1. Beautiful location in Colorado (Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, countless other amazing locations nearby)
2. Amazing schedule for long outting trips (see block breaks)
3. Nationally respected academic programs

Those three factors have led to one of the happiest student bodies and a culture that is prone to /out/ adventures.
>>
>>627837
Block scheduling looks interesting. Did you not have a problem with having so much material on one subject being presented all at once? It would be nice to not have to deal with the chaos of having three or four different classes schedule their big projects or test on the same day.

I graduated right before my school switched from the quarter system to the semester system. Really liked the quarter system so I'm glad I was gone before the switch over.
>>
>>627865
I didn't go to there, just have friends who did. They seemed to love the block system, and as I said, the school is respected and considered a "hidden ivy" or whatever.

My university had 7 week quarters with multiple courses per quarter, so I'm not sure exactly how the students learn everything there. I know multiple studies have shown that you learn better with material spread out, but clearly they are doing something right at CC.

Overall, you get to go to college at great location and if you want, can be prepared for a career /out/ as well.
>>
>>627526
really?
I was honestly thinking of moving down there from Cleveland.
>>
>>627870
ohio that is, looking at listings for chattanooga and I see theres a cleveland TN close by.
>>
Western Washington University has an /out/ activities department and a boathouse on lake Whatcom. You can sign up for classes in mountaineering to kayaking.
The PNW is nice but WWU is right by the North Cascades and My Baker wilderness.
>>
>>627359
Chattanooga resident here, there are lots of trails in the area and most of the community is /out/ friendly.
>>
File: Photo023.jpg (134 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Photo023.jpg
134 KB, 1280x960
>>627882
I love Bellingham

Michigan Tech was fun
>>
File: pic17.jpg (47 KB, 528x351) Image search: [Google]
pic17.jpg
47 KB, 528x351
>>627304
formerly Michigan School of Mines
>>
File: IMAG0019.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0019.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>627936
>>
File: 1446449726098.jpg (2 MB, 3112x2338) Image search: [Google]
1446449726098.jpg
2 MB, 3112x2338
>>627940
currently shitposting not 600 feet from where that photo was taken

>mfw got a spot in the downhill skiing courses
>>
>>627301
Humboldt state university is pretty nice. Debating on going there or Sacramento state since I live close to the campus.
>>
File: sewanee.jpg (219 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
sewanee.jpg
219 KB, 640x427
>>627301
Sewanee: The University of the South
13,000 Acres
Tons of trails
big outing program
>>
>>627301
Kutztown university is pretty fucking out tier
>>
Northern Arizona University
>>
>>628455
Heard they got a big snowstorm the other day
>>
>>628455
Correct.

And I raise you, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical in Prescott.
>>
>>628492
Fair, but gone in town by now. May get more tonight...
>>
>>628495
Embry Riddle over Prescott College?We're talking about the college itself being out, not just the town, right?

Prescott is top tier, for sure.
Sterling College in VT is good.
Evergreen in WA is pretty good.
>>
>>628492
You mean today? Yes.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.