[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if poison.. or blueberries.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: blueberries-maybe.jpg (147 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
blueberries-maybe.jpg
147 KB, 720x960
I think blueberries are imported.. not sure. I am in Taiwan and came across these. So are they blueberries? They sure look more bluer than blueberries. LOL.

Will I trip balls, or die if eat them?
>>
>>627231
Generally speaking, crown berries, compound berries and anything that looks like a strawberry is edible.

But I'm only sure that that rule works in the US, no idea about Taiwan.
>>
>>627239
Thanks... never seen blueberries in the wild. I left them alone and moved on. But man do they really stand out in a wall of green vegetation.
>>
>>627231

Those are not blueberries.
>>
>>627231
Hard to tell from here, but those look smooth. Around where I live, its better to just leave smooth berries alone. The only exception is elderberry, and that's still poisonous raw, or medicinal, depending on how much you eat.
>>
>>627242
Blueberries have a five-pointed crown, their cousin, the huckleberry has a smooth crown, about the same size. Check the next time you go to the grocer. Its obvious, once you know what you're looking at. Again, though... I'm only sure this works in north America.
>>
>>627252
>those look smooth
Correct.. and I spent about an hour via google looking for anything similar and I cannot identify it.
>>
>>627326
Might be difficult in Taiwan to find an equivalent, but in the US, there's a thing called the "extension office" that my grandma told me about, where you can ask all sorts of crazy shit, sometimes you have to bring in a sample to have a plant or dropping identified, but it's basically a scientific public service from back before the time of Google or 411. They'd probably hook you up with a botanist at the local college who would be able to tell you right off the bat.
>>
>>627231
Try them and find out.
>>
some kind of blue drupe is by best guess
>>
>>627393
Let's not guess...
>>627373
And this is either bad advice or weak trolling, either way you need to get some sleep and try harder next time.
>>
>>627394
well the picture is terrible for identification so i think guesses is all you're going to get

I would really like to know what it is though
>>
>>627329
sounds like a good idea... Next time Im up that way I'll snip some off. The next hurdle will be hoping their is an english equivalent or a book to verify... same problem I run into with "what kind of fish is this?" around here, lol.
>>
>>627395
Agreed. For all further identification requests:

-------------------------------------------
please submit a close up of a leaf, with clearly visible veining, as well as the flower or fruit and a separate picture of the whole plant, with scale, if possible. Also state world region, season and terrain.
-------------------------------------------

I'm aware that sounds anal, but plants get misidentified all the time in person, you really do need all of these things to be sure. Poison hemlock and carrots look very similar, for instance...
>>
>>627231
Could it be Elaeocarpus grandis? Or some kind of Elaeocarpaceae?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.