[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Winter Trail Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
So I know you all know how to make summer foods, like wild berry and MRE PB wraps and critter and cat-tail soup, but what about winter foods?

I've got Angel hair & MRE cheese spread pasta (comes in spicy or regular).

What else do we all eat /out/ in the cold?
>>
>>627208
>>627208

Winter is the best time to bring food /out/, you can bring things and not need to refrigerate them.

My favorite is bacon scraps from the butchers. They are all fat and protean, and tasted great.
>>
>>627260
Awesome! I hadn't though about being able to bring cold foods! I feel like an incredible idiot now, but I'm still excited. Thanks!
>>
>>627260
What do you cook or eat with the bacon fat? Or are you some kind of Neanderthal?
>>
File: bacon ends and pieces (8).jpg (3 MB, 2336x1905) Image search: [Google]
bacon ends and pieces (8).jpg
3 MB, 2336x1905
>>627290

Its not all fat, its just the bits that don't fit into traditional sliced bacon, I find it has more meat on it, and is easier to cook (i hate crispy bacon)

I usually make a loaf of bread that isn't really bread but kinda is, and bring that with for sopping. I also should mention for its relevance, my version of /out/ is loading up my truck driving out to the back of a field were I can't see the lights from anyones houses and camping out for a day or two, I don't do hardcore /out/ trips like some people on this board since I have to go home and feed the animals every day.

Anyways the bread is dirt simple to make

>flour
>water
>oil
>baking powder
>salt
>garlic powder
>onion powder
>rosemary
>and other seasoning you want in it

I just mix it untill its a firm dough, then put it in a pie pan and let it cook so it looks like one of those fancy breads from the store. It dries out quickly, but its a great way to store the flour so you are not hauling flower around with you, and since I am almost always with my truck while /out/ I tend to bring a lot of liquid based foods, so it is nice to have something to sop it up with.
>>
>>627320
I am more the "push myself" type of camper here, so got to keep things light, but considering the fact that I haven't been able to have bacon on a camping trip since my grandparent owned a motorhome, this is really very exciting. I'll think I'll make a stick bannock style dry bread to go with, and probably do a bacon, onion and potato steam, at least for the first night out. I'll be walking for a few days, so everything else will need to be light.
>>
File: VjFWzqI.png (120 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
VjFWzqI.png
120 KB, 500x310
>>627320
>i hate crispy bacon
>>
>>627349

Crispy is just a nice way to say burnt. Meat is not supposed to be burnt.
>>
>>627374
You know that salty flavour you crave from your bacon. That's dick flavour you faggots. Go serve your friends instead of killing piggies. Remember to swallow.
>>
>>627374
Actually, crispy bacon and burnt bacon aren't the same thing. Try baking it at 350F for 30 minutes on each side. When it's done, it will fall apart on your tongue like magical pork dust, without even a hint of a burnt taste. Its perfect for sandwiches, since you don't have to fight the bacon to stay in place.
>>
>>627445

I bet you're a blast at parties

>>627449

I don't want to eat bacon dust, I want meat.bacon scrap is only bacon in the sense that its belly meat and cheap. It's sweet, its much more meat than sliced bacon, and it has the texture of real meat. All in all it reminds me of ham more than bacon.
>>
>>627677
>I bet you're a blast at parties
I am actually. With no bacon in my diet I'm fit and lean, and I always remember to swallow.
>>
Hard cheeses and sausage.
>>
>>627680
>sausage
>>
>>627779
>sausage
ye, sausage
>>
>>627784
>remember to swallow.
>>
>>627445
>>627679
>>627779
>>627787

It's not winter yet, go back to /b/.
>>
>>627796
:(
>>
>>627208

Need more /out/ food discussion, its a huge aspect that gets very little recognition on this board.
>>
Rice and beans.

And oats for breakfast.
>>
>>628599
Most things hunted for their fur are at their best in wintertime. /out/s should take more advantage of this. Easier to track too when the first snows comes
>>
>>627784
what kind of sausage, anon
>>
>>629252
We still talking food? I'm planning on snagging some western grey squirrel pretty shortly, here. Does anyone know how far out of town I could still expect to find them on the western US?
>>
>>627320
>i hate crispy bacon
We should be friends. People always gettin on me for not turning my bacon into crackers.
>>
I have never prepared / ate food from the woods before (besides like wild berries) so I was hoping to start out simple and make some Pine Needle tea.
>>
>>627320
Where do you get the bacon ends? Do they normally have them at the grocery store?
>>
>>629465

I'm sure grocery stores have them, but the whole bacon meme has made anything with the word bacon in it cost 3x as much as it should, so I would steer clear of that, I get mine from the local butcher, who usually has them dirt cheap for me, but I also bring him a lot of business, so I don't know what he normally charges, cause I know I'm getting a break somewhere.
>>
>>629444

Morels are god tier, but its the wrong time of year. Start in the spring with them.
>>
>>627290
Fry hardtack in it. Even better than frying it in butter, or dipping it in your coffee.
>>
File: IMG_8883.jpg (267 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8883.jpg
267 KB, 1600x1066
For something light and calorie dense preserved egg yolks seem pretty nice. Pretty much just
>1/3- 1/2 sugar
>rest is salt
>put egg yolk on it for two days
>rise off
>dry for longer

Would be a bit much to eat alone but apparently it's used like hard cheese. This seems to be the best recipe because i don't very much like overly sweet and savory together.
>>
>>629344
>We still talking food?
Fat foxes tastes like lamb.
Squirrels taste like grouse or lean boar.
Minks taste like fox.
Fur animals are like kinder eggs. you get both chocolate and toys. That luxury feel of getting paid (if you sell the furs) to fill your belly.

What do you do with your squirrels anon?
>>
>>629977
Like, how do I cook them? I haven't yet, unfortunately. I was raised extremely western, and with all the misguided beliefs of an urban American. So far I've mostly quit TV (I still like my documentaries), and I started eating a ton of fat and walking around instead of driving everywhere, but I haven't found anyone to teach me hunting, and most information online seems to be people making it up as they go along.
>>
>>629925
that sounds really unhealthy
>>
>>630126
Majority of harm comes from fats because it is allowed to accumulate combined with relatively sedentary lifestyles, for winter travel you need the calories because your body is doing twofold work of both hiking and trying to keep you warm.
>>
>>630126
I eat four eggs and half a stick of butter ever day (amongst other things) and have never felt better. I'm losing weight, have a tonne of energy, and my voice is for some reason getting deeper and I've been more confident.

I don't know about just straight yolks, but it stands to reason that if eggs are meant to be the perfect source of vitamins and nutrients for the developing body of a baby omnivore, that it's probably pretty healthy. Butter, too, is just concentrated milk fat, which is meant to be the perfect food for baby mammals.
>>
>>629925
... hairy food.
>>
>>630124
I feel your pain. I'm from an academic family with little /out/-skills other than hiking. Had to learn everything from scratch on my own.
honest-food.net
By Hank Shaw. This guy in pretty decent.
>>
>>630128
>>630131
i ment taking the part of the egg high in cholesterol and then loading it up with sugar and salt.

Eggs are good for you, but if you want protein or fat i think there are better ways to do it without bombing your system with salt and sugar
>>
>>630136
Think that's from the cheese cloth, but as a rule a bit of white mold is fine to eat as long as the food is otherwise unspoiled, having lived in rural Korea for several years it is ubiquitous in many fermented foods.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.