[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most edgy equipment for a week-long hike innawoods?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: 1446907033003.jpg (223 KB, 716x718) Image search: [Google]
1446907033003.jpg
223 KB, 716x718
What is the most edgy equipment for a week-long hike innawoods?

Duster, steel-toed boots, biolite, a cairn kicking boot on a stick, what else?
>>
>>626684
Nothing wrong with steel toe, faggot.
>>
>>626685
Are you fucking kidding me
>>
File: Takesyo Zipper Black-cover.png (235 KB, 450x434) Image search: [Google]
Takesyo Zipper Black-cover.png
235 KB, 450x434
I see your steel-toed boots and raise you tabi. Tabi with steel toes and rubber soles.
>>
>>626685
>hiking
>steel toed
>>
>>626687
>>626705
>i cant hike without muh ultralight plasticool designer shoes

Why don't you stay inside if you can't handle steel toe in the outdoors. I've been using steel toe for as long as I've worn boots, and have gone 10+miles in them before with only minor discomfort.

>Stop wearing what I can't wear! >=(
>>
>>626713
Do you only hike on level ground? Hiking downhill in steel toe boots will destroy your toes.
>>
>>626715
Can't say I've ever had that problem.
>>
>>626717
Because you've never done any hiking
>>
>silk cloak
>goretex jacket
>vibram five fingers
>swedish lk35 rucksack
>wool blanket
>katana
>Karambit ZOMBIE HUNTER NEON GREEN
>zippo lighter
>>
>>626684
Knives. Axes. Machetes. Swords. Bayonets. Dirks. Spears.

Id would say where all pretty "edgy"
>>
>>626718
Oh snap
>>
Don't forget the fedora op.
>>
File: fedoraboots.jpg (168 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
fedoraboots.jpg
168 KB, 1000x1000
>>626684
Wool cloak
Kukri
AR-15
Whatever these boots are called
>>
>>626740
> not hiking w/A15

Do you even own a fucking gun?

I may be a .22LR whore, I've got 20 or 30 of them, but I also own at leasr 6 AR15s.

I love muh ARs!

Onlt centerfire that comes close are muh Sks', got 5-6 of those, too.

And what kind of permavirgin even thinks up a thread like this?

A- who cares?
B- FUCK YOU, AR15!
>>
OP here I'm actually Rick Owens and I'm going to design a new high-fashion line of hiking clothing based on your suggestions.

It'll feature silk cloaks and steel toe rubber sole tabi.
>>
>>626684
ALICE or MOLLE pack
Ka-Bar USMC
BDUs
M1911
AR-15
tactical bible
100 feet of Genuine Milspec™ coyote paracord
MGTOW patch, if it ever gets made

>>626744
now that's what I call edgy!
>>
>>626685
>>626687
>>626705
>>626713
>>626715
>>626717
>>626718
Just like OPs cartoon, did you faggots do this on purpose?
>>
>>626684
>camo, esp. military patterns
>combat boots
>surplus gear
>anything canvas and leather
>bandana headband
>packs over 30lbs
>packs under 10 lbs
>jeans
>>
>>626684
You want to be edgy? Take a bowie knife. Just a bowie knife. Make your own cordage, shelter, clay cookware.

Personally, I still think that's pussy tier. The natives used stone hand tools and still did just fine.
>>
>>626684
> hello kitty backpack
> 4/5 fingernails painted same color
> pasliey short shorts
> knee high socks
> birkenstock sandels
> tanktop
> parasol
> cock n ballz
>>
>>626719
Everything there.

I carry a fucking zippo all the time but with a butane insert. But a bic is cheaper and literally just as effective, and considerably longer lasting than a normal zippo.

>>626720
Yes.
>>
A knife, hatchet or axe. When people say they need those I immediately know they have never been on a weeklong hike

Also, a coffee press, frying pans etc
>>
>>626860
I've literally done everything there except the camo and the bandanna headband. Mainly because I inherited half of it and surplus is cheap and propa'.
>>
>>626860
just because you weigh 120 pounds doesnt mean some of us cant carry more shit
>>
>>626906
I think that's based on what you're doing while /out/. For someone who's hobby is hunting or fishing, not bringing a knife would be silly and novice. For someone who plans on camping for a week or so in the winter, not bringing an axe or a saw would be foolhardy. Then there are fans of traditional camping and bushcraft who don't like to bring gas stoves and like harvesting their own fire supllies. Ultra-light hiking is fun though, I still bring a knife for food prep and harvesting. I'd say a fair number of other hikers bring a knife as well if only for spreading peanut butter or feather sticking.
>>
>>626906
Also I wouldn't say a week long hike is much of an accomplishment. Any trail hiker could do that.
>>
>>626919
"A week long" hike is also kind of a vague parameter since it only accounts for time, not distance, terrain or elevation.
>>
>>626921
> all other parameters exist outside of time

Time is the only thing that matters, all else is coincedental.
>>
>>626921
>>626926
Holy shit that's deep. Or retarded. Distance (space) would obviously be the other primary way of determining how impressive or difficult a hike is (followed be terrain and elevation). A person can take a week to only cover 5 miles and that's definitely not any form of accomplishment unless they're going up Everest or something. Time and distance are both the primary measurements here.
>>
>>626921
I doubt more than 1 in 7 people here have been on a weeklong hike, probably much less. The vast majority would be physically unable

Of the general population it would be less than 1 in 100, so it really is an accomplishment
>>
>>626913
It's usually ex military with the attitude that 50 pound packs are great because they used to be able to carry that much. Hiking should be enjoyable though and the extra weight is a fun killer
>>
File: Henry-Rollins.jpg (79 KB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
Henry-Rollins.jpg
79 KB, 740x416
>>626926
>>
>>626954
Unless they're hiking some mountain trail or goat path in Tibet, it really isn't. Even if those numbers were fair estimates, 1 in 7 people, even 1 in 100, is an immense number of people. What most people call a "hike" is just a trail following a river. Groups of children do it literally every summer, like at the summer camp I worked at we took week long hiking trips every other week over 3 months. Hell, look at the Boy Scouts. It's not an achievement, it's a recreational activity any reasonably healthy person should be able to do.
>>
>>626953
> all distance on earth is finite compaired to the infinity of the universe

Your puny miles are inconsequential and only have meaning in your ego based reality.
>>
>>626955
Wouldn't people who carried 50 lbs everyday for 4 or more years generally be a good authority on the subject (Or rather on what they themselves could carry)? And wouldn't how much fun one has while /out/ be subjective? That being said, I'm not hiking with 50 lbs unless I'm hiking to a hunting camp in the middle of winter.
>>
>>626961
I really don't see how you came to the conclusion that I was comparing the how long a certain hike was to the expansiveness of the universe. Were discussing how distance and time are both relevant factors in the difficulty of a hike, not how long it takes for the light of a quasar to reach us.
>>
>>626969
Well it would help if you would puncuate your post properly.

> miles and miles
> grand scheme of things
> don't mean shit
>>
File: DSCF4962.jpg (258 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4962.jpg
258 KB, 1600x1200
>>626713
>10+miles

Is this something to be proud of nowadays?
>>
>>626974
The only real lack of punctuation in my post was the lack of quote signs and a missing apostrophe.

And again, we're discussing HIKING. Using your logic, a week wouldn't mean anything because in the grand scheme of things, it's such a small amount of time. I don't understand where your logic is even remotely useful for determining how difficult a hike is. A trail could take a lot longer for some people than it could for others, so taking distance and time into account makes it easier for normal human beings to understand.
>>
>>626974
see
>>626975

Hiking a week long trip or for 10 miles is not something to be proud of, it's recreational. I don't understand why people view these as achievements.
>>
>>626907
>>626913
this thread is about what equipment is edgy, youre only proving my point
>>
>>626998
How is a 40-50 pound pack edgy? At 1/6th of my body weight a 42 pound pack would not be out of the question, its actually pretty comfortable to hike with. I understand the ultralight way of hiking and thats all fine and dandy, but I don't give a fuck if my pack weighs more just because i brought everything I would need.
>>
>>626980
> I ran away from home for four days once

Edgy little fuckers, aren't they?

>>626978
> not accepting it's all happened before and will all happen again

There is nothing new under the sun, briar rabbit. A few miles, a few days, a few lifetimes are like but a teardrop in the ocean.

Letting your ego die everyday is the only true goal.
>>
>>626841
Sike you have just been gang stalked!
>>
>>626740
Springerstiefel in Germany
Mostly worn by nazis
>>
>>627101
Pretty sure those are actually smokejumper boots tho
>>
>>626962
That's the problem. These clowns are generally low IQ macho men who think that carrying more is a good thing when in reality excess gear ruins trips

If you doubt me look at these overburdened retards next time you have a chance. I guarantee they are all round headed cretins
>>
>>626975
And yet you have never hiked 10 miles and you always circle the parking lot looking for a space 5 steps closer
>>
>>626975
>shitty outdated pack
>$ store mat
>you turned back five minutes after you left your home
>>
>>627009
You weigh 300 pounds (350 including gear)you fat fuck? Your bones and joints must hate you
>>
Since the majority of out doesn't seem to know one of the most basic rules for backpacking, let me just drop some knowledge on you real quick: A bag shouldn't weigh more than forty percent of your body weight at a maximum, thirty is safer, and twenty is generally pretty comfortable.

Your joints don't give a shit how much your bag weighs, just how much more it is than what they're used to. And frankly, I'm far more impressed by what people are skilled enough to not need, than what their bitch ass is too pathetic to do without. You can live comfortably with a knife and a lighter? Top props! You need a coffee press and still bitch about powdered creamer? Fuck off.
>>
>>627117
>personal insults
What is your point?

>>627118
>quality pack that have held up on me through more than 20 years of hiking in the swedish mountains
>a sleeping mat that gets the job done

If you think you're better equipped than me, so be it. But 90% of what you'll need on a long trek isn't what's in your pockets, it's what's in your head.
>>
>>627123
I weigh 250. Are you fucking retarded?
lrn2math you dipshit , 42*6=252
>>
Fuck me this thread went downhill fast.

poorfag from the Appalachia here, I don't hike very often admittedly, more of a find what I came outside for, get, and walk back kinda guy, but I've been using steel toed boots for years, didn't realize other people had problems with them. The hills on my property can get rather steep, too.

Might just be related to how I walk weirdly in general, though. any of you guys have any recommendations for boots? Gaven't had more than a $30 pair of shoes in my life and I'm thinking of splurging.

Also, to get back on topic.

>black MOLLE
>20 inch saw tooth back bead blasted machete
>"tactical" boots
>AR platform rifle with literally every attachment known to god
>magnifying glass to start fires
>black camo
>black cadet cap
>30 in one multitool
>300 magazines
>>
>>627216
I use my steeltoed workboots while I'm hiking too, no complaints here
>>
I put on steeltoe boots and welding goggles before I punchout my twinkie bf and make him suck my cock.

Does that seem edgy to you?
>>
>>626735
He didn't. He says he brought a Biolite. That's the /out/ equivalent of a fedora.
>>
>>626757
>Ka-Bar USMC

Isn't that basic bitch more than it is edgy, though? I think the USMC is pretty well respected as a general purpose camping knife, by normies.
>>
>>627293
kabars are basic, the brown and black usmc kabars are edgy
>>
>>626962
>ex-military are knowledgeable and rational
Terrible meme. Only the secret squirrel type guys train enough to be more knowledgeable in woodcraft than the average Boy Scout. Grunts only spend nights out and carry packs as a form of torture, and pogues don't do that at all.
>>
File: 1217_h_lg.png (66 KB, 621x189) Image search: [Google]
1217_h_lg.png
66 KB, 621x189
>>627309
These? I disagree. I believe they're too basic and mainstream to be edgy.
>>
i never leave home without my archwood flextrek 37,000,000,000,000 whipsnake edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>627339

Thank god it doesn't auto play this time.
>>
>>626719
Fuck you vibram five fingers are comfortable as fuck.

That being said I would much rather spend the money on a solid pair of boots if I'm planning on going out for a week.
>>
>>626715
I hiked/climbed every major peak in the Peak District wearing steel toecap boots and never had a single problem with my toes.
>>
>>627627
Agreed, I like exclusively in my steel toed Timberlands, no issues. I've never owned "hiking boots", my father was a general contractor and the while family wore workboots on hikes.
>>
>>627627
>>627744

Steel toes drain heat like a mofo when it's cold out. Also, if it gets cold enough the steel cap can crack, sending sharp metal shards through your toes
>>
>>627745
It's one thing to have a pair of steel toe boots and decide to take them hiking.

It's another thing to purchase a pair of steel toe boots with the purpose of taking them hiking. That's just retarded as fuck.
>>
>>627762
Pretty much this.
>>
>>627745
No they do not. Most steel toe caps are insulated from the foot from the inside, or like mine have the toe cap on the outside of the boot.

I work in weather that frequently dips below -37c, and have never heard of the crwcking you fucking twat.

Stops shouting nonsense.
>>
>>627785
Also apologise, english is not my first language. Finfag here.
>>
>>627785
Then you've either used composite toe caps or never had anything fall on them. The steel toe caps obviously won't crack without any stress being put on them. I'm from northern sweden, and at my workplace they have even banned steel toed boots since every winter, there was some retard who'd get his foot in the way of some rocks and lose a toe or two.

Also, no matter how much you isolate a chunk of steel in your boot, it will get colder than the same boot without the steel. This is simply due to the high thermal conductivity of steel.
>>
Wearing a duster is considered "edgy?" They're actually pretty useful whilst out, especially in a dry area or in the rain. How is it "edgy" if something is useful?

What is up with retards just shaming things with people who most likely don't give a shit or want to be left alone? What the hell do you get out of making fun of something for what they use or wear? The chances of you being someone that stays indoors 24/7 and counts car camping as being /out/ are pretty high if you make fun of someone else's gear.
>>
File: Snownigger.jpg (835 KB, 1529x2048) Image search: [Google]
Snownigger.jpg
835 KB, 1529x2048
Well I hiked in my old roughened Doc Marten boots with a few holes in them here and there for 5 plus something miles in knee deep snow. Elevation was around 0.5miles. Camped in a cozy "sheperd house" for 2 days.

Pic related, sadly boots are not visible.
>>
>>627810
>How is it "edgy" if something is useful?

You mean like fedoras are useful for keeping sun and rain out of your eyes? It's edgy because it makes you look like you're gonna shoot up a school
>>
>>627815

No it doesn't. If you do or wear something it means you're going to shoot up a school? In the middle of a desert or the woods? Why can't someone wear a fedora? What is wrong with you retards? I never understood this.

The school shooters also have guns. Does having guns mean you're going to shoot up a school? They drink water too. H2O causes school shootings and if you drink it it'll look like you're about to shoot something up.
>>
>>627819
Of course you can wear a fedora or a trenchcoat, but you can't expect people to treat you the same way they treat everyone else. We are humans. We make judgements based on how people talk, dress and act. You don't have to like it, but that's reality.
>>
>>627823

I've never met anyone that has said anything about what someone wears.
>>
>>627814
Broken in Doc Martens are pretty nice
The trick is breaking them in
>>
>>627824
You haven't met many people.
>>
>>627824
Then you obviously don't hang around other people a lot. Even here in Sweden, where we're known for our introversion, we still do that shit. During a trip I made to NYC last year, people around me always talked about what they were wearing and what clothing they were going to buy.
>>
>>627827

I don't live in a city or a suburb nor do I associate with people that care about useless shit. I am getting that you do, which is quite pathetic.
>>
>>627826
I really love them but when I compared them to my friend's proper hiking boots they kinda sucked.

In the city they are my favourite.

Also in the woods they get cold as fuck, even in the summer nights in the mountains I hike and can be slippery on steep terrain.
>>
>>627829
We're social creatures anon. Only the mentally deficient don't place some weight on what others think.
>>
>>627101
That makes me want them more
>>
>>627819
>They drink water too. H2O causes school shootings...

Well fluoride in our water does lower our IQ and there is a good correlation between lower IQ and violence.
>>
>>626702
Those are actually amazing for running. They also look less stupid than 5 fingers.
>>
>>627141
Fuck it then I don't need a jumper or food or shelter I'll just go into the snow because honestly 90% is mental and the 10% i'm bringing with me are my weird oven mitts (?)
>>
>>626955
My bags used to always be around the 50lbs mark, and I never thought it was that heavy. Mostly because my only tent was a eureka A Frame for about 10 years, and that fucker weighed 8lbs dry, and I rarely had the fortune of a tent that stayed dry.
>>
>>626907
Same here brah. My 511 tactical is great to take out for a 3 dayer. Was free too!
>>
>>627313
Pretty much this. In Ausarmy, infantry carry insane amounts of shit and let live out bush for a month on average. It's ducking torture. And they make you dig holes and make fortifications and shit sometimes.

That being said I use some smaller milsurp gear because it's free and some of its good quality (it is heavy though ).
>>
>>627829
OR TOTAL FUCKING PSYCHOPATH
>>
File: Retard Alert.gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
Retard Alert.gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>627745
ITT
shit that never happened.
>>
>>628145
If that's the way you interpret my message, then I hope you actually do just that.
>>
File: 1.jpg (332 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
332 KB, 1600x900
>>626860
b-but I like my combat boots...
Does the fact that most of my countries military despises them because of 'muh REAL combat boots don't have a soft sole with cushioning' and 'muh these boots look like high hiking boots and REAL combat boots don't look that way' make up for it?
>>
>>627216
You don't have a roll of dollar store duct tape. You also forgot the tactical fingerless operatin gloves.
>>
>>627745
I'll agree with the heat sink part. The cracking part sounds like try-hard wishful thinking.
>>
>>628142
>Those are actually amazing for running.

The steel-toed ones or the regular ones?
>>
>>627802
Sounds like your industrial safety standards are flawed. I've never heard of steel toe caps shattering under impact in subzero conditions.
>>
>>628712
>blousing your boots while not in uniform
>>
>>628799
Regular ones. I've never worn the steel toed ones, just the regular ones.
Picked up a pair while stationed in Okinawa, and loved them.
Couldn't wear them during PT, at least not when the gunny was around, though I'd wear them whenever not in uniform.
Also, they don't look stupid at first glance, unless people look close they don't notice the split toe.

I've gotta talk to a buddy over there and see if he can bring back a couple pairs on his next leave. It'd cost me like $60 a pair to get them shipped here, where I could buy them for about $20 a pair over there.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.