[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /out/: In Wilderness and National Park areas I go to in Montana
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: box.gif (2 KB, 183x142) Image search: [Google]
box.gif
2 KB, 183x142
Hi, /out/: In Wilderness and National Park areas I go to in Montana and Wyoming, they have signs that food must be stored in a vehicle or "approved" bear-proof container.

I ask because I would like to make a box for my cooler and other supplies in the front of my trailer (used for hauling ATVs).

Would plywood be enough, with tough latches and hinges? I can weld together steel, but rust is so ugly without a factory finish of powder coating or something. Aluminum would be another choice, but expensive, and could a bear just rip through it?

TLDR; anybody know what makes an "approved" bear-resistant box?
>>
File: The worst trailer ever told..jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
The worst trailer ever told..jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
Any box will work as long as you geocatch it.
Bears dont use GPS
>>
>>626606
OK, /b/tard, but I want something that meets the definition of the law and also the spirit of the law (like I don't want bears getting into my stuff).
>>
>>626612
Most of the time they're talking about a bear cannister, but some areas also allow give gallon buckets with lids or yeti coolers.

A lot of parks also have food lockers at their campsites for campers to use.

Your best bet is to call ahead and ask the Rangers what qualifies for their area.
>>
>>626617
>best bet is to call ahead and ask the Rangers
Ya, I guess I will do that. I was wondering if there was a standard for the country like 14ga steel or 3/4 inch plywood.

Some of the campgrounds have wood boxes that a bear could claw through in maybe 2 hours, so bear-resistant but not bear-proof.
>>
File: better.png (5 MB, 1871x1887) Image search: [Google]
better.png
5 MB, 1871x1887
>>626617
>yeti coolers
>$350+ for a cooler
>>
>>626633
I didn't actually recommend he buy one.

Personally I wouldn't either, buy they do qualify as a bear container in some places.
>>
>>626605

Get a toolbox for your truck, store it innacooler innatoolbox.
>>
>approved" bear-proof container.

>"approved" bear-resistant box

Your shitty plywood box isn't bear proof. Bear resistant isn't bear proof. How fucking hard retarded are you trying to be? Bear proof means they can't get in so either follow the fucking rules or kill yourself faggot before the bears kill you or or the bears are killed for tearing up your shitty gay box
>>
>>626606
> shits all over my diy teardrop
> posts my pic all the time

You lied when you said you hated my teardrop, you love it!
>>
>>626606
That is a diy disaster at it's best and worst.
>>
>>626791
I was one of the ones ragging on it in the he beginning but I stopped when I found out that:
A. You made it yourself, good job
B. You are a grill. really impressed with a woman that can handle power tools.
Thus guy who keeps posting is just jealous that a woman makes shit that he cannot.
>>
>>626791
Thanks for not namefagging
>>
>>626791
>Texas plate in the background.

Have you ever come out to find a family of mexicans had taken up residence in your plywood teardrop?
>>
>>626785
Thanks for the constructive criticism.
>>
>>627161
You are welcome. Thanks for shitting up this board with dumb threads
>>
File: totl_peter_mullan_560.jpg (40 KB, 560x324) Image search: [Google]
totl_peter_mullan_560.jpg
40 KB, 560x324
how far out inna woods are these geocatches?
are there really enough to keep me from ever having to dig a poophole?
>>
>>626605
They're talking about bear canisters anon. You'll likely have to spend about $70 on one, depending on how big/lightweight you want it, but you aren't going to make your own. There are different certs on commercial bear cannisters (which they all are) and one test if if a bear in captivity doesn't break into it, they can use that certification, the other one is a bear in the wild.

>>626785
As much of a prick as this anon is, he is 100% correct.
>>
>>627566
I think its going to be attached to op's trailer
>>
>>627574
Most National Parks that require bear cannisters will rent you one for $5-$10 a week plus a deposit.
>>
>>626605
Why not get a large metal ammo box and use that?

I've used an old tin trunk before, it had a good lock and we would chain it to a tree, no beaar ever got it open.
>>
File: bearkeg.jpg (14 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
bearkeg.jpg
14 KB, 267x400
>>627575
pic related is what I have.

The point of the design is that the bears can't pick it up and run off because of the angle and can't bite into it. There are other ones out there and I'm sure you could find one on ebay, but please don't think that making your own is a good idea, since it will likely get you into trouble with park services and bears are a lot more clever than you think.

A lot of study of bears went into the design of these things and that's why they are required in a lot of places instead of bear bags.
>>
>>627582
This is also a very cost effective solution, I just preferred to buy my own.
>>
Figured I'd take a quick look to see if there was something that suited your needs better and it looks like you're going to be dropping $400, unless they have one they can rent you for a better price.

http://westernsaddle.com/beprpa.html

Bear canisters are more for backpacking, but it still needs to be certified and they are serious about that shit.
>>
>>627591
He doesn't want bear proof he wants bear resistant whatever that is, maybe it stops them for a few minutes so you can Instagram it
>>
>>627695
>TLDR; anybody know what makes an "approved" bear-resistant box?
Regardless they need to be certified. I'm not doubting OP's ability to over engineer the shit out of something that not even a grenade would get in, but this is the key thing is it being certified.

Mainly it's just being more trouble than it's worth for a bear, given enough time I'm sure bears could figure a way into any container. Crafty sons of bitches.

Anyway OP, just give whoever the land manager is for those national parks and see what your options are.
>>
>>627754
give them a call and see what your options are*
>>
>>627759
I doubt they will know what a bear resistant box is either
>>
>>627767
Are you fucking retarded? It's their job to know that shit.
>>
>>627866
It's their job to know what a retards made up term means? Why are you so angry about some kids stupid thread?
>>
>>626802
wait,a girl built that?
>>
>>626791
Hell I have always thought you did a great job on the thing. Planning something similar as soon as I get the time.
>>
>>628743
I know right, It's pretty amazing to see a woman that isn't total shit
>>
>>628775
i would argue that a woman can be a total shit and be able to "build" stuff.
>>
>>628743
I do what every neetfag wants to do, live on my own, off grid and radar, self sufficient, not homeless, no rent, spent Sept and Oct all over 4 corners, still have bank, might look for work, might head south for next couple months.

Scottsdale, Cave Creek...
>>
>>628821
Where are you now anon?
I am in northern NM
>>
>>628828
Sorry anon, I never post where I am. Third week of Sept I spent a week at Chaco sketching the Sun Dagger during the equinox.

Moved on long before the recent cold snap.
>>
File: kicker.png (94 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
kicker.png
94 KB, 1200x1200
>>628863
That makes sense anon, a girl cant be too careful.
If I ever see your trailer out and about though I am going to put a cairn kicker sticker on it...
>>
>>628873
And I will mace you for attempted rape.

Deal.
>>
>>628897
How is putting a sticker on your trailer the same as rape?
You feminists are sure expanding the definition a lot these days.
>>
>>628902
How is it not rape? How is your existence not rape? Didn't you rape your mom at birth?
>>
File: Okay.jpg (16 KB, 544x387) Image search: [Google]
Okay.jpg
16 KB, 544x387
>>628906
>>
>>628906
>>628897
>>628863

Have you ever received a diagnosis from a mental health professional ? Maybe bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?
>>
>>628952
PTSD
>>
>>629099
Fuck you, you don't know me.

He implied he would victimize me warning me I can't be too careful, then threatened to vandelize my home!

Fucking cairn kickers are destructive, self-entitled pricks that just want to destroy people's happiness!

FUCK YOU LITTLE PRICK!
>>
>>629112
I dont know why are you angry at me just because I have PTSD, but I hope he does vandalize your home and give you the raping you deserve for attacking cairn kickers because they are true environmentalists looking to restore nature
>>
>>629131
> PTSD makes me clinically retarded

You're an idiot.
>>
>>629134
Sounds like you are getting juiced up at the thought of getting raped
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.