[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deer repellant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1393776206019.jpg (17 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1393776206019.jpg
17 KB, 512x384
What scares deer off instinctively? Physical barriers are ineffective, and chemicals or coyote piss are too expensive. What's the best way to keep deer repelled from an area?
>>
Mind if I ask what you're troubles are that you need deer repellent? I'm guessing they're eating your garden up or using sidewalks like in some of the front range towns.
>>
File: OP.jpg (15 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
15 KB, 275x183
>>
File: 20151107_161602.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20151107_161602.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>626377
Blaze orange seems to be repeling them this year
>>
>>626403
Lol

>>626386
It's general perimeter defense sort of thing, mainly.
>>
>>626413
Chicken wire. We had deer that would wander in to our backyard and anything we didn't want them to munch on got wrapped in chicken wire. Worked about 95% of the time.

Also
>grow up in Black Hills on the edge of BLM land
>cheap land starts attracting developers
>People start building big houses up inside the tree line.
>Deer are all "ligaf" and just hang out in people's yards
>People flip their shit and start complaining to the county, state, BLM, etc. Local news gives the idiots screentime every few months because slow news day
>Every county commission meeting gets derailed because some WASP asshole has to stand up and yell "Forget about roads and schools! When are you going to stop the deer from eating my wife's petunias and crapping on my patio!"

Moral of the story: if you don't want deer shit in your patio, don't build your house in the woods.
>>
>>626377
Wear orange and hang it in my tree stand. Works miracles
>>
>>626411
>m4gery
>magnifier
>halo site
Does us a favor and suck start that rifle you tremendouse faggot
>>
>>626377
Go to your local animal shelter and ask if they can provide urine. Dog or cat, doesn't really matter, to a deer it's just going to smell like wolves and cougars live there.
>>
>>626449
That makes me so happy.
>>
Human hair. They don't like it.
>>
>>626377
Irish Spring soap.

I chunk it up and lay a perimeter around my garden. Repeat once or twice during the growing season and it keeps them out.
>>
File: DSC_5334[1].jpg (74 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5334[1].jpg
74 KB, 800x530
>>626487
Wow, I thought you were joking.
>>
>>626503
Nope, shit works.

Saw it in an issue of Fur FIsh & Game magazine maybe 20 years ago and the deer here still are repelled by it.
>>
>>626516
I can't help but wonder how someone figured this out.
>>
>>626487
This applies to human females as well
>>
>>626527
Really? My sisters loved that stuff, it clears up PMS related acne like it's God's own Messiah producing jizz.
>>
>>626456
You mad?
>>
>>626377
I know that in africa to keep elephants away they get the hottest red peppers they can find, and plant them around the perimeter of their crops. They don't even eat the peppers, once they are fully ripe they chop them up then soak cloth ribbons in the pepper juice and string it up on horizontal ropes around their crops as an added layer of protection.

I doubt deer are as sensitive to scent as elephants, but maybe try buying some peppered jalapenos and replicate the process from the juice in the jars?
>>
>>626456
It's dual purpose, need something for redguards back home.
>>
>>626487
The guy i bought My mustang from said it repelled mice and kept a bar in the trunk. It later developed mice chew marks in it.
>>
I have a sort of rotating mirror ornament that i hang from a backyard tree that seems to somewhat discourage them. I guess its the moving glare it creates
>>
>>626487
Are you my dad
>>
>>626487
you can also mix it some soapy water with cayenne in a spray bottle and spray it on your garden to keep them out.

Best deterrent though is a dog that barks a lot. Deer pretty much go all "white flight" when dogs start moving in.
>>
>>626449
Black Hills are Sioux clay.

Good on the deer though.
>>
>>626527

You what? my entire wrestling team used that and... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i understand.
>>
They make commercial deer repellents, but all the ones I've used smell like a rotting carcass. Growing chickpeas around the perimeter of your garden will prevent/reduce damages by deer, even though they'll walk through. Another strategy is to string up fishing line in a perimeter on stakes and then change the height periodically. They'll figure it out if you don't move it around. Also disposable (foil) pie pans hanging on a stake with some ribbon/string is supposed to freak them out when it's moved by a breeze, can't comment on effectiveness, but I got that from a farmer who's been growing for 30 years.

>>627577
The dog would need access to the garden. Deer are pretty quick to assess when something can and cannot hurt them if it's there every day- even if it looks like a known predator.
>>
I could stand in your field for about 5 minutes and you would never see a deer again. When I hunt I feel like I am a deer repellent.
>>
>>626456

>get a load of this fudd.
>>
>>628538
I chuckled.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.