[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are pork rinds good survival food? Light weight, high calories,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: SouthernRecipePorkRindsOriginal.jpg (110 KB, 1000x1504) Image search: [Google]
SouthernRecipePorkRindsOriginal.jpg
110 KB, 1000x1504
Are pork rinds good survival food?

Light weight, high calories, solid fat content, delicious. Sodium content is a little high, but you need a little sodium when you're sweating a lot. Shouldn't a bag of pork rinds be an auto-include for all my /out/ expeditions?

Also other auto-include /out/ foods. Bonus for no-prep.
>>
>>626017
I think that's the wrong kind of fat. some types your body can't use, and it's just excreted in fecal matter and through your pores, usually clogging both. Plus, its a high volume, so depending on fat content, it may be okay for car camping, but definitely not for hiking.

My go-to is MRE peanut butter. 250 calories, well balanced between protein carbs and fat, made partially with soy so it has a full amino acid profile, tastes like real food, makes excellent squirrel bait.
>>
>>626023
>peanut butter
>made partially with soy
What the fuck kind of peanut butter are you eating?
>>
>>626017
It takes up a lot of room for not much food content.
>>
>>626037
Oh, just saw it was MRE stuff. Explains it. My bad.
>>
>>626017
Jerky is probably a better food for survival.
High protien content, lower bulk, slightly lower sodium. Plus tastes much better.
Also less fragile.
>>
>>626017
it's just fine, and I think would be a welcome change of pace from squishy things like energy bars and peanutbutter. a lot of long distance hikers will pack bags of crushed chips for similar reasons: high calorie density, flavour, and the nutrients needed to keep going.
>>
>>626046
Protein isn't nearly as important as (natural) fat. Plains Indians ate more fat than meat and almost no vegetables, and were in far better health than anyone today, inuits ate almost exclusively blubber, and didn't have health issues until they were introduced to western diets.
>>
>>626017

I tend to just carry almonds + whole wheat crackers. Pretty sustaining shit right there.
>>
>>626046
>Jerky is probably a better food for survival.
Probably peanut butter or honey
>>
>>626023
>>626037
Don't quote me but if I recall correctly the aminos that regular peanut butter lacks are abundant in milk.
>>
>>626023
You obviously don't know anything about fats, or basic nutrition
>>
>>626088
Well, I'm always eager to learn, so do bestow me with your wisdom regarding why pork rinds are healthier than peanut butter. Please.
>>
>>626087
I believe rice and legumes have complimentary amino acid profiles, not sure about milk and peanut butter. They do go well together, regardless.
>>
>>626094
Most legume + grain combos make for a complete or near complete protein. Peanut butter and oatmeal, beans and rice, lentils and pasta, etc.

I've started looking in to oatmeal & bean patties as a possible trail food since their loaded with both carbs and protein and keep longer than meat. Rotate the menu a bit so I'm not just eating salami or peanut butter all the time.
>>
>>626109
Lol. I feel like a dumbass. I wasn't even thinking about rice as being a grain, even knowing that they're all members of the grass family... I'll have to chart out those profiles and see what combinations are best and most palatable, though I believe they can be eaten several days apart and still be used as whole protein.
>>
>>626017
you won't feel full after eating that. you'll like burn thorugh your snack resources faster than you should
>>
I rock snickers bars. Shit ton of calories in a small package. Just bring one in your bag and you're golden.
>>
>>626120
One? Shit, man... I eat a snickers just to get through my evening walk (6-10 miles) a camping trip requires at least twenty pounds of calorie-dense food.
>>
>>626023
Please never comment on nutrition ever again you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>626121
Ohh. I didn't realize we're talking about a camping trip. I meant more in the line of backpacking or having something just in case.
>>
Now it would probobly be too late for by the time you started your trek, but one year I decided in order to stay warmer better I would eat more fats.
Every day I would eat a bag of pork rinds and within a month I had gained 2 lbs, didnt look any different, but I felt loads warmer.
I am a pretty slim guy so cardio is my main source of heat in the cold.
Pork rinds made the difference
>>
>>626911

Question. If I do this but without gaining weight (IE cut other foods from my diet to make up the calories), could I be warmer without gaining weight? (I have practical reasons for wanting to keep my numeric weight low.)

I'm interested in the collagen content of pork rinds, too, if it makes skin healthier to eat or not.

>Gelatin is rich in glycine, improves sleep, helps with joint pain, and can actually be protein-sparing. Most of us aren’t eating enough of the whole animal anymore, so the occasional handful of pork rinds can be an easy way to get your gelatin

The only naysayers I could find were mudslimes and vegans. I wonder why my brain associates pork rinds with fat rednecks and heart attacks? I think the kike media has been lying to us, just like they said bread is good for you and fat is bad for you. These paunchy, anemic women eating toast and nonfat yogurt don't seem healthy to me.

I'll buy a bag the next time I'm in the market. I get horrifically cold in winter.
>>
>>626072
>Almonds
>not Activated Almonds
Stay pleb anon
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.