[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird Pennies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_0944.jpg (799 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0944.jpg
799 KB, 3648x2736
While walking in the wooded patch behind my house, I found a weird metal pipe. It had a weird end-cap and I looked at it for a while. There were weird circles incorporated into it and when i shook the pipe i heard rattling. The pipe kinda looked like a pipe-bomb, but when i pried off the end cap with the crow-bill of a hammer i found that the weird end cap was a bunch of silver pennies melted together! What Have I Got Here, 4Chan?
>>
Some kid's hidden stash. A stupid counterfeiter's hidden stash. Something you probably shouldn't have messed with if you thought it was a pipe bomb. Etc, etc....
>>
File: Derp1.jpg (20 KB, 338x383) Image search: [Google]
Derp1.jpg
20 KB, 338x383
>>625739
Possible Shrapnel?
>>
probably some dumbass kid in the 70s tried to smelt the pennies for their sweet silver or some dumbass kid thing like that.

once i lit a fire and threw the end of an extension cord into it thinking that it would power the extension cord so I could plug lights into the other end. kids do dumbass shit all the time, there's almost no way to guess what dumbass shit thing was going on through their heads.

anyway, cool find. finish what they started and smelt that silver anon.
>>
File: SmeltedSilver.jpg (355 KB, 2208x1244) Image search: [Google]
SmeltedSilver.jpg
355 KB, 2208x1244
>>625743
Is there some way I can sell the metal? (P.S. The image is from google.)
>>
>>625737
> silver pennies

Newsflash.... kids are STILL STUPID!
>>
File: Adam Sandler Laugh.gif (2 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
Adam Sandler Laugh.gif
2 MB, 384x216
>>625754
> kids are STILL STUPID!

Pretty sure I'm not a kid or a teenager anymore.
>>
>>625737
>silver pennies
Is that a real thing? I know about steel pennies, but silver?
>>
File: IMG_0946.jpg (899 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0946.jpg
899 KB, 3648x2736
>>625762
Seriously look: this is what I found.
>>
Boooooom........ Baby
>>
Can you see a date? Are they from the early 40s? I have 6 of those wonderful pieces of history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_steel_cent
>>
>>625772
The coin in the top image says 1982. The other coins are pretty melted and corroded so, I can't read them.
>>
>>625775

Ah, I couldn't make it out on my phone. Damn shame the aren't steel pennies, lots of cool history behind them.
>>
File: Scooby Doo Fred.jpg (18 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
Scooby Doo Fred.jpg
18 KB, 210x240
>>625778
WELL GANG, IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A MYSTERY ON OUR HANDS. LET'S SPLIT UP AND LOOK FOR CLUES.
>>
> riddle me this, Batman
> what have pennies been made from since 1982.5?

Silver?

WRONG YOU FUCKING RETARDED MOTHERFUCKER!
>>
half way through 1982 the mint switched from pennies that were a 95% copper alloy (iirc) to a copper plated zinc core. whick is why if you scratck/break/smash/whatever a penny since then you expose a silver metal

that being said, i'm surprised that the copper corroded off the zinc so cleanly. zinc is generally way more prone to corrosion. maybe there was something in the pipe that attacks copper more?

>>625772
not with the lincoln memorial on the back.
>>
>>625783
> I'll have cathodic reaction for 1000 pennies Alex
>>
File: IMG_0948.jpg (870 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0948.jpg
870 KB, 3648x2736
>>625783
Here's a picture of the pipe I found them in.
>>
>>625737
>silver pennies
Nope. There were zinc-plated steel penies made during WWII, and pennies after 1982 are made of copper-plated zinc. They're just copper and a bit of tin, other than that.

I can't help but notice the off-center mirror images in >>625763. Are they soldered together, by chance? Or did some kid melt them and stick them together with the melting zinc, with the copper plating having a higher melting point and thus holding its shape while the zinc insides cooled and left those weird impressions? Those are my best guesses, anyway.
>>
yeah, someone was just distilling zinc.

the zinc in a penny melts at a pretty low temperature, but it also evaporates. You could prevent the zinc from evaporating by melting them in a sealed container. Honestly it's not a great idea though because the container might burst from being heated.

anyways, stick a bunch of zinc pennies in a pipe, drop the pipe in a fire, let them melt.

or maybe it was a pipe bomb and the pennies were supposed to be shrapnel but when it was lit it didn't explode, it just melted the pennies because the kid that built it didn't have the right kind of powder.

who knows.
the result's the same either way.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.