[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ comes inside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: DSC00107.jpg (574 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00107.jpg
574 KB, 1280x960
I think i gained a level of druid today, i have a ermine that started hanging out under my bed whenever i leave the door open.

I think he will like it there, the young snowshoe hare that started hanging out there every now and then a month ago? Him not so much i think.

Anyone else have critters that are so used to you they just walk into your house?
>>
That picture reeks of poverty
>>
>>625316
When I was a kid my mom used to hang crackers with peanut butter on them from the clothes line on the patio for the squirrels. One of them became very friendly and tame. Eventually she let him into the house to eat the peanut butter and crackers. She would set some on a little plate at the table and he would hop up and eat them while I was eating breakfast before school. When he would finish he would go scurrying off back outside.
>>
>>625322
Or loneliness/depression...
>>
>>625322
>>625324
Not poverty, just isolation and transition. Cabin in the middle of nowhere Maine, i am in the middle of major renovations so it is a huge mess right now. I have 3 cabins that i am in the middle of joining together into a house, unfortunately usable space is at a premium right now so my living quarters are the only room that i can really use for the next few weeks.

Come on guys, get your powers of observation together. That is a Sam Adams IPA can, that isn't poor people beer.
>>
>>625343
Sam Adams a shit
>>
>>625322
>>625324
I didn't want to be rude but this, so much this.

>>625343
good if that's the case, the ermine is pretty cute tho.
>>
>>625322
did the 2 seconds that you felt better for saying that really justify the post

also damn captcha u fancy now fading in and out and shit wew
>>
Lately it's been wasps... not too thrilled about this.

Usually a couple of the fuckers buzzing around my living room window every morning, then one or two more when I get home in the evening.
>>
>>625343
OK so you get 1/10 on the poverty scale. Take a picture of the cabins you useless fuck
>>
>>625367
Well I can't tonight because it's dark and my potato phone doesn't have a flash. Tomorrow I will post cabin pics though.
>>
>>625343
Are you living in a Stephen King novel?
>>
>>625322
You don't know poverty.
>>
I had a pigeon fly into my bathroom and shit everywhere once.

coolest was when a bat flew into my room. Flying in circles.
>>
File: DSC00101.jpg (491 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00101.jpg
491 KB, 1280x960
>>625367

None available at the moment, have pic of my CJ 5 instead.

>>625373

I might be, would explain alot.

>>625372
You are not me, stop that. I don't own a phone silly.
>>
File: DSC00059.jpg (576 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00059.jpg
576 KB, 1280x960
>>625384
Found one from summer. The two in the middle are one building now. Envy my Can Am Outlander.
>>
>>625392
Must get pretty spoopy at night, any spoopy stories?
>>
File: DSC00047.jpg (536 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00047.jpg
536 KB, 1280x960
>>625394

Coyotes hang out in the yard sometimes and scare the fuck out of me by starting to yelp all at once.
Winter photo:
>>
>>625384
>>625392
>>625397
This now have nothing to do with you first filthy photo and must be awesome spend time there. Lovely place desu.
>>
File: DSC00087.jpg (535 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00087.jpg
535 KB, 1280x960
>>625399
Thanks, the view is nice sometimes
>>
>>625316
Fuck I forgot how cute Stoats were
>>
>>625409
The place is crawling with them right now. Usually you don't notice them because they look like chipmunks from a distance and move like them but their coats changed and it hasn't snowed yet.
>>
>>625392
TOPKEKE camo snowmobile for the win. Dude, just, you need to dress up like a g.i. joe figure and ride that shit around. Seriously.
>>
>>625415
Um, i do? I have a winter camo smock that i wear along with a helmet painted in the same pattern that i zip around in. I even carry my Nagant with me sometimes. I am working on a back rest and spear holder for it.
>>
>>625316
>>625322
>>625379

This.

Poverty is sleeping on a bare mattress on the floor next to a pile of mixed dirty and clean clothes with the cutest white little baby roaches scampering around your room.
>>
>>625511
Speaking from experience, anon?
>>
>>625392
Nice logs and poles dude. Watcha building?
>>
File: DSC00108.jpg (573 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC00108.jpg
573 KB, 1280x960
>>625659
Tose are practice logs mostly, once i ave te current place fixed up i am going to build a underground house and i don't want to screw it up. I am going to use the cabins as a guest house when it is done.

Those logs will probably get used as supports for a covered deck although if the green house i build works out over winter i might surround the entire building with them. The poles are just firewood.

image taken today, excuse the mess.

The place is an incredible mess right now,
>>
>>625511
>>625379
>>625322
Poverty is not having $15,000 worth of recreational vehicles that is a brand new Can-Am AVT.
>>
>>625679
Dude, ONLY poor people would buy a $15,000 ATV.

That's how they stay poor. By buying really expensive shit they don't need.
>>
>>625684
The ATV was $8000 and it is my primary means of transportation, it is 25 miles to the nearest paved road. I use it haul almost everything, in the last pic you can see a dozen 2x4s on it. The ATV and snowmobile are my main transport, for 4 months the snowmobile is my only means of transport. My f250 has been driven 4x this year and the jeep twice, meanwhile i use the ATV daily. I knew it would be my main means of getting anywhere so i made sure it was a good one. It also costs $4 in gas round trip to town opposed to $12-4 for a truck. It cost me one semesters worth of GI bill money and pell grants to buy, i got free tuition so everything went right to the cabin and stuff for it.

Money is not a problem, i am retired with pensions and i have no mortgage or utilities, just about $200 in property tax. My entire income is disposable and not only do i have a decent chunk saved up it increases regularly because i have nothing to spend it on.

I structured my entire retirement around the idea of having almost zero living expenses, after food and fuel i have about $1500 a month in disposable income.
>>
>>625642
Yes.
>>
>>625343
Dude who cares, you don't have to justify how you live to anyone
>>
>>625511
>Poverty is sleeping on a bare mattress on the floor

Poverty is about not having a choice. I have very few possesions and sleep on a mattress on the floor. Before that it was a friends couch and before that a car. I live like this by choice so I can spend my money on the things I want to achieve and experience, like travel, hiking, hunting and bring new friends to /out/door life. People here on /out/ can surely understand my choice.

>>625684
In my experience it is not the useless and expensive shit people buy that make them poor, it is the minimum wage they live on that makes them poor. if you have to spend everything you earn on the bare minimum and still end up short every single month then you will stay in that hole, and it is not your fault it happens. During the recession the only job I could get was as a research assistant and I got 5000 a year as a 'grant'. full time, no benefits. That is poor my friend. I didn't have a choice. No 15.000 dollar ATV in my back yard.
>>
>>625702
>I structured my entire retirement around the idea of having almost zero living expenses, after food and fuel i have about $1500 a month in disposable income.

Intelligent anon is intelligent. I approve.
>>
>>625728
> intellegent anon supplements income by selling furs from ermin farm

I approve.
>>
>>625788
Martin and bobcat, Ermines are not worth it. Too cute anyway. Although they are not worth much money at the moment i will be taking at least half a dozen beaver this winter as well, mostly as food.
>>
>>625343
>a Sam Adams IPA can, that isn't poor people beer.
I'm poor because I like premium beer.
>>
>>625872
Not really, most really rich or well off folks in Maine drink Michelob or Bud light. You give them a craft beer and they will literally spit it out on the ground. It has to do with their age i think, anything with a stronger taste than corona is unpalatable to old people up here for some reason. Hoppy IPAs or wheat beers are better described as young people beer, i have never seen anyone over 40 drink one.

Confusingly these are the same folks who will mix coffee brandy and Moxie.
>>
>>625392
Bababooy, I love your place bud.
>>
>>625675
Any plans for improvements on the roofline over the connection between those cabins? It seems like given your snowfall a dangerous amount of snow could accumulate there.
>>
>>625902
>. It has to do with their age i think
Nah, it just has to do with that they're uncultured stick in the mud hicks. I'm 44 and I'm drinking an IPA right now, and we're the generation that brought back real beer in the late 80s and 90s.

Frankly I find IPAs uncomplex and boring and I consider them entry level microbrew, I'd really prefer a nice saison, but IPA is what kids like these days so that's what the breweries brew.
>>
>>625928
Thanks.
>>625929
Come spring the valley is getting 2 layers of aluminum sheets with at least 1/2 inch of roofing tar sandwiched between it, it makes me really nervous in case it leaks. If the building is inhabited (i.e heated) enough will melt off so accumulation is not a problem. If it isn't heated snow will not accumulate enough to be a weight issue due to wind, i'm on top of a mountain.

>>626084
I agree about the stick in the mud thing. As to IPAs i like bitter tastes or fruity things that are not sweet like dry cider or perry. Unfortunately all that is available up here is hoppy as fuck beer and over sweet stuff so IPA it is.

Damn i really want some dry perry now. I wish someone, ANYONE in America would figure out that you can use champagne yeast with apples and pears.
>>
>>626138
you got a skype or an email i can talk to you on? would like to ask you some questions.
>>
>>626138
>wind
Ah yeah, I should have figures given the burms in your pictures. Nice plan.
>>
>>626480
Also the windmill is a slight give away.

>>626153
Are you a skinwalker or other such creature?
>>
File: 1414360453549.png (193 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
1414360453549.png
193 KB, 468x351
>>625316
So cool. That's like having a pet for free that you don't have to worry about.

He probably takes care of any rodent problems in the house as well.
>>
>>625343
Where in Maine? I just moved here.
>>
>>625675
did you literally hang roofing underlayment between the two?
>>
>>626645
2x4s every 15 inches, 2 layers of 1/2 inch plywood, 2 layers of tar paper and shingles.
>>
>>626524
can confirm am not skinwalker.
>>
>>625727
Thought about building yourself a bedframe?
>>
>>626615
No rodents, never seen a single one in the house. Field mice don';t enter houses with people in them.

>>626701
I have 6 of them, each cabin had a bunk bed when i bought the place, i'm sleeping on the bottom half of one. I have avoided buying a proper bed since i have to move it alot as i work on the place, i will e getting a proper bed once i finish the loft.

>>626616
12 miles outside of Jackman.
"Future /k/amp /k/ommando" on the map:
http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=772301&x=-73.243278&y=41.306694&z=9

>>626690
Check the link on the map.
>>
File: Appalachia SOTA.png (643 KB, 1362x735) Image search: [Google]
Appalachia SOTA.png
643 KB, 1362x735
>>626847
Dude, you've got at least 90 SOTA points within a 12 mile radius of your house. Jealous!

Also, what are the neighbors like?
>>
>>625702

I WANT TO LIVE YOUR LIFE
>>
>>627075
>Also, what are the neighbors like
50+ year old couple half a mile down the road, i see them maybe 6x a year. Besides that no one besides tourists or hunters, i'm the only registered voter in 70 sq miles according to the Jackman town clerk. As a registered Trump campaign volunteer and the head of his local volunteer effort i am screwing up someone's demographic mapping quite badly.

>>627075
Yeah, i'm resisting the urge to shit in the POW Camp Geocache. Maye i'll set up a secondary /out/ geocache with a pile of stones on it so they can shit in it, kick it over then sign a log book?

>>627364
Come visit some time. I plan to build a shooting range for /k/ and a few shelters for /out/ given how close i am to the Appalachian trail. I bought the place with get togethers in mind, i'd love for some of you weirdos to visit.
>>
Addendum:
>>627075
>neighbors
The township is gated, it's 5 miles from my place to the gate then 6 miles of logging road to rt 201. No cell coverage, spotty CB reception. It takes a cop (Game Warden) about three hours to get there. If they have the gate combination (which they don't) and if (they don't) have the balls to respond to a call alone.
>>
>>625316
Little guys are pretty cool. Had one play peekaboo over my boot while I was posted up one morning waiting for elk to walk by.
>>
HAVE FUN 78.66.178.168
>>
>>626847
>Field mice don't enter houses with people in them.
Oh, how I wish that were true, but the mice in my house beg to differ.
>>
>>627462
>i'm the only registered voter in 70 sq miles according to the Jackman town clerk. As a registered Trump campaign volunteer and the head of his local volunteer effort i am screwing up someone's demographic mapping quite badly.
Good work anon.
>>
>>627691
Field mice and house mice are separate species, the ones you run into in the woods don't generally bother people. The area around the house crawls with them but they don't go in.
>>
>>625323
That's adorable. I like squirrels in stew.
>>
>>625679
>>625684
>>625727
I've always thought impoverished people were the ones who worked for a living.

When you eat, drink and sleep /out/ you don't have bills in the first place.
>>
>>627462
>not voting Sanders
You've got significantly not voting power than most people, and Sanders would rile up those people even more than trump.
>>
>>627465
>No cell coverage
Hence that high gain directional antenna. You'll probably get better CB coverage with a better antenna. Check out the i-max 2000 or the A99 from Solarcon. Radials will help.
>>
>>628096
D-do you do this, senpai?
>>
File: breakfast of champions.jpg (13 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
breakfast of champions.jpg
13 KB, 262x192
>>625343
>Sam Adams IPA
>not poor people beer.

yeah, nah, sam adams is trash. it's for people who want to pretend like they're better than people who drink coors or bud, but really aren't.

>drinking an ipa from a state that doesn't touch the pacific
>anno domini mmxv
ishiggitydiggityhiggity

pic related to what's in my fridge
>>
>>628130
The town is pretty pro trump, it is one of the few places in new england that is solidly conservative and due to Maine's split vote system the district will probably be giving it's electoral votes to trump. People up here think Bernie is crazy and utterly loath Hillery.

>>628143
I am working on a pretty big antenna at the moment, mostly for shortwave but a CB antenna is going on top of the pole.

>>628152
Sam Adams Rebel IPA comes from the west coast dumbass.
>>
>>628357
You're going to put in a fullwave receiving loop?
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>628357
>west coast "style" ipa

fucking faggot
>>
>>627465
>It takes a cop (Game Warden) about three hours to get there. If they have the gate combination (which they don't) and if (they don't) have the balls to respond to a call alone.
I gotta tell you, that doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to come visit.
>>
>>628152
>total domination
>anything but awful
It's even worse than Tricerahops. The only good beer Ninkasi makes is Oatis.
>>
>>625392
you mthrfkr, whats your story on acquiring wealth?
>>
>>626690
sounds like something skinwalker would say
>>
>>625702
What did you do for a living? Obviously it wasn't construction. No offence, but I don't want some old bro dying in a shoddily-built, one man favela of sheds.

I'll post some tips later, when I'm home.

In the meantime, give us some specs on the land, like what do you intend to do with it, etc.
>>
>>625675
Cool thread OP, but that's some nigger rigged looking shit right there. Good luck hope it doesn't collapse on you.
>>
>>628152
>i choose things to like based on who else likes them
>>
>>628152
>Drinking IPAs at all
hipster detected
>>
>>625343
Sam Adams is okay. Nothing special, but drinkable.
Rebel IPA is shit. I've had a lot of IPAs, both good and bad, and Rebel IPA is the worst I've had.
>>
>>629392
>>629362
Hah, it does look like shit at the moment doesn't it?

It is much sturdier than it looks, the two cabins have reinforced concrete slabs, the connecting section has the floor lagged to the 6x6s used as sills by the cabins. It has 4x4s lagged to the sills and then the floor is 2x6s with 2 layers of plywood, infrared insulation and 2 inches of hard foam between them.

The valley is the one area i am really worried about and that is designed to flex and be massively overbuilt, there are going to be 3 layers of flashing and roofing tar there. What looks like shingles are discards from the local mill, they are 15x1x6 held in with drywall screws. They take a while to put in but they end up being a layer 3 inches thick. They cost $40 a pallet at the mill, you can also get 2x6 sections that people build entire houses out of like lego blocks.
>>
>>631062
It's not terrible, but you'll find that there are going to be endless problems with snow buildup and melt. You might want to start planning for a separate, larger cabin + breezeway in the future.
>>
>>631194
If it is not inhabited (i.e heated) snow isn't a problem, it is extremely windy. If i am there the melt is a plus, there is a run off gutter and storage bucket with a overflow drainage system in the back. Keeps me from hauling half a dozen buckets of wash water 75 feet in the snow during the winter. I built french drains around the entire house to deal with spring run off.

Some snow buildup is inevitable, last winter i built a 6 foot tall frame over the front and it was completely buried,:

It got 2x as deep as this, it was actually a good thing since it helped insulate it.
>>625397
>>
>>631194
Addendum: This isn't my house, it is what io am fixing up to live in before i build my actual house. It is going to be a guest cabin/workshop.

In my spare time i'm cutting a 500+ foot trail/road to where my real house will be which i plan to be a Mike Oehler style underground home.
>>
File: 1447451785554.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1447451785554.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
>>626690
Exactly what a skinwalker would say.
>>629362
Retired Army, 54B. And i have worked construction.
>>628636
I wouldn't worry about it. Come visit, i'm on the last part of the Appalachian trail and i've love to meet you and give you a safe place to stay for the night.
>>
>>625322

This post reeks of materialist brainwashing and softness.
>>
>>625322
What's wrong with live simply
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.