[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boot thread? Boot thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 67
File: boot thread, boot thread.jpg (87 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
boot thread, boot thread.jpg
87 KB, 600x600
Hey /out/ looking for a pair of boots in the 40-90$ range. Ideally, they would be suited for underground use (caving) and for general wear, they would also be fairly lightweight. I'm thinking that a good pair of jungle boots would fit the bill, but I can't seem to find any decent ones.

thanks senpai
>>
>>625148
look for either GI ones, Altama ones or Wellco ones, all of those are definetly rather good.
Stay away from the Rothco brand boots though, they're nothing but shit
>>
Rangers Mle 52 --26$
>>
>>625157
How durable are these? Do the soles wear out easily?
>>
File: rocky-bearclaw-3d-hunting-boot.jpg (99 KB, 979x979) Image search: [Google]
rocky-bearclaw-3d-hunting-boot.jpg
99 KB, 979x979
>>625148
The best boots I have ever owned. Rocky Bearclaw boots.
>>
>>625908
French army boots. I don't think they're being produced in brown any more. Proper models are also 150€+ and only available in france.
>>
File: dannertachyon.jpg (34 KB, 366x366) Image search: [Google]
dannertachyon.jpg
34 KB, 366x366
anyone had experience with these boots?

http://www.danner.com/product/law-enforcement/tachyon/tachyon-8-sage-green.html

they'll be used for walking in the woods all seasons in a wet climate, i'm not going to be walking in puddles but wet grass and leaves and a few inches of snow.
>>
File: T8BIFIDA_DESERTSAND_web.jpg (404 KB, 800x849) Image search: [Google]
T8BIFIDA_DESERTSAND_web.jpg
404 KB, 800x849
These have treated me well. Vent well, dry fast, feel great. I rubbed some mink oil into them, now they are super waterproof but a little bit hotter now. Hiking from Amicola to Unicoi Gap in a few weeks in them.
>>
>>625148
Do not buy jungle boots.
I had a pair and I regretted the purchase. Sure they're light in weight, but they're hard, and built for jungles and shit, not rocky ground or walking around the block.
Buy proper hiking boots, not these.
>>
>>626232
Anything with the word danner, /out/ will defend with their dying breath.
>>
>>626535
>be me
>buy full wrap leather danners
>want to get leather replaced
>send to danner
>they replace
>get my boots back
>free of charge
>new leather
>new soles
>same boots
>almost brand fucking new boots
>do this for my entire life
>glad i bought danner
>>
>>626140
>OP asks for boot suggestion with max price of $90
>posts $200 boots.
I think you need to practice reading comprehension anon.
>>
>>626533
But these cost half as much and last you twice as long. Unlike that FAGGOT SHIT.
>>
File: crater.jpg (64 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
crater.jpg
64 KB, 480x480
>>625148
any brands to absolutely avoid?
Are Crater Rims worth it for just fucking around in the cold and wet?

Personally, need aggressive lugged, waterproof, soles that won't bend (arthritic big toe) 6"+ sticky rubber
>>
File: hyperion.jpg (115 KB, 1070x413) Image search: [Google]
hyperion.jpg
115 KB, 1070x413
>>626589
also, any opinions on Timberland Pro in general?
>>
I've spent a lot of money on Solomons a couple times most recently and neither pair have held up to 6 months of daily use. 2nd pair were great for water resistance and still being breathable but heel soles started coming apart. First pair the toe area was peeling within a month and soles came unglued shortly after.
>>
>>626631
Which models?
>>
I bought a pair of Belleville Jungle Boots because practicing rucking for the military. Right boot fits fine, but my left heel slips up a bit when I take a step. I have narrow feet and read one fix is to use a dual-lace system. It helped, but there is still a little bit of heel slipping. It's enough to rub a blister by the end of the day.
Wat do? Just deal with it until that spot on my heel builds up a callous?
>>
>>626585
Your feet will hurt, be wet, you'll have poor traction on anything but soft wet dirt, and they won't even last as long as a good pair of hiking boots.

Source: was issued tan jungle boots
>>
Use GI style jungle boots in the navy, they are great, but are not comfortable. Would not recomend if you want to walk long distances in them
>>
>>627338
https://youtu.be/t0-tMiWTEsI
>>
Go with ariat, most comfortable and durable boots I have used. The trek is their hiking boot and it is very reasonably priced.
>>
>>625148
Is there a reason you want boots over trail runners? Seem like they would be lighter weight and less cumbersome while spelunking.
>>
>>627524
A lot of people, myself included, use their /out/ shoes for more than just hiking. I use them when I log on my property and maintain my forest, both require strong boots unless you want smashed toes or something.
>>
>>627536
Are you the OP? The advice was for underground/general wear not forestry.
>>
I have a pair of EMS gore-tex boots that the soles / treads are worn. Can I re-sole these? The boot itself is still in great condition.
>>
>>627559
Former bootfitter here. Post pic of boots and I'll try and answer your question.
>>
Meindl Pionier. I foun them as desert boots.
Any Opinions about them?
>>
>>627595
If you have chicken legs they may be a good boot, if you have man sized calves they will not fit
>>
>>627598
are they waterproof?
>>
>>627601
If you waterproof them, otherwise I doubt it.
>>
>>627601
Waterproofing isn't usually a priority for desert boots.
>>
File: meindl-borneo-p_726126f.jpg (192 KB, 1308x1061) Image search: [Google]
meindl-borneo-p_726126f.jpg
192 KB, 1308x1061
>>625148
good,decent,lightweight jungle boots will cost a bit more i'm afraid. i wear meindl borneo 2 mfs. on a daily bases
>>
File: P1050700.jpg (4 MB, 3968x2232) Image search: [Google]
P1050700.jpg
4 MB, 3968x2232
>>627657
Hello friend. I wear those only for hiking but I love them.
>>
>>627678
hey mate, they are great! i love them. i had a pair of borneo meindle's before . the first one. but no regrets getting these.
>>
>>626232
I'm ex military. they are good for walking around base or whatever but if you use them for a ruck or anything real they fall apart. very comfortable though.
>>
rocky s2v's. I've used them in iraq, plenty of field exercises, and rtc's. buy far the most comfortable and versatile boot.
>>
>>627709
I heard underarmor makes a really nice duty boot for ruck. I think it's called the valstez. I work in a shoe store and every ex military dude that comes in says they were their favorite shoes for service.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Idk what you guys use your boots for, but just bought these and they are pretty /comfy/
>>
>>627783
oh usually I just wear them when I masturbate, sometimes I wear just my boots around the house and shout for mom to make me more tendies while i masturbate furiously over different species of wildlife.
>>
File: 5080-HR(2).jpg (645 KB, 990x1001) Image search: [Google]
5080-HR(2).jpg
645 KB, 990x1001
What are some good milsurp boots?
I want good, inexpensive ones that give off that cool "retro European operator" look.
>>
>>627299
Try putting on a second sock on your left foot + preemptive plasters. Hope it helps.
>>
>>627299
I have the same heel slip problem and I believe it is down to posture and gait issues.
>>
>>626551
Shit, my bad. Didn't read the blurb, I just saw 'boot thread' and wanted to share.

Still, you should spend the most money on your boots and your bed- because if you're not in one you're in the other.
Good boots are worth it.
>>
>>626232
Step dad didn't like his.
He wanted a pair of hot weather boots, and Danner is his brand.
Said they were comfortable, not durable.
>>
>>628014
>retro European operator
That sounds like a question for /k/ or /fa/.
>>
>>628178
It sounds like a good question for a boot thread.
>>
>>625148
I have my Dad's 1970-something Bundesmarine (German Navy) standard issue boots. 40-ish years old, but they're waterproof, literally as tough as old boots, and, once I put some new insoles in there, fit me perfectly. Anyone want some pics?
>>
>>628182
Yeah, i'm curious.
>>
File: chippewa.jpg (14 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
chippewa.jpg
14 KB, 300x299
Best boots for walking on ballast rocks?

These are not. twisted my ankle on every little rock.
>>
>>627562
Thanks, I will post when I get home.
>>
File: 00.jpg (94 KB, 540x649) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
94 KB, 540x649
>>628182
I'm interested as well.
>>
hiking boots or work boot? for walking on loose rocks?
>>
>>628335
Mountain boots. Scarpa and La Sportiva make good ones.
>>
>>628182
yes
>>
>>628335
A backpacking boot with a stiff PU midsole.

There are plenty of good brands, the most important part is fit.
>>
>>625148
What do any serious hunters here where for mountain hunting? I mostly hunt in the south where all that matters is heat management and waterproofing, but I'm going out for elk next fall. I'm backpacked in the mountain plenty, but am curious if you use something special for stealth.
>>
>>626232

Looks comfy but tread looks like it would be shit for traction and wear down quickly.
>>
Just ordered these up from Cabelas today on sale for $80;

Cabela's Snow Runner Winter Boots

Fit and feel of warm-weather trailhikers
Cabela's-exclusive Dry-Plus barrier locks out moisture
400-gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation seals in warmth
Resilient, lightweight EVA midsoles cushion your strides
Winter used to mean saying goodbye to athletic-shoe comfort until the spring thaw. Not anymore. With Cabela's Snow Runner Winter Boots, you get the waterproof protection needed to get through cold, snowy weather, plus the comfort of your favorite warm-weather trailhikers. Their casual good looks mean you won’t have the inconvenience of switching from snow boots to "indoor" shoes everytime you head inside to warm up. The Cabela’s-exclusive Dry-Plus™ barrier locks out moisture from snow and rain. 400-gram Thinsulate™ Ultra Insulation seals in warmth without excessive weight or bulk. Resilient, lightweight EVA midsoles cushion your strides and bounce back for more.
Order next size up if wearing with heavy socks.
Ht: 8".
Avg. wt: 3.1 lbs/pair.
Men’s sizes: 8-14D width. Half sizes to 12.
Colors: Alpine Green, Dark Chocolate.
Height: 7 in. from ground to top of boot at rear.
Weight per pair: 3 lbs. 1.4 oz. (Size: 9D)
Upper: Waterproof leather/Cordura nylon inserts
Insulation: 400g Thinsulate Ultra
Waterproofing: Dry-Plus
Outsole: Multi-density molded rubber
Removable insole: Yes
Resoleable: No, Bonded construction
Midsole: EVA
Lace length: 68 in.
Padded tongue is gusseted to within 1.5 in. from top.
Padded collar: Yes
Pull loop: Yes
Rubber abrasion guard on toe and heel of shoe.
Shank: Steel
Made in China.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>627562
>>
>>627562 This is the boot I was referring to >>628726 The sole/treads are coming off but the boot itself is in great condition. Seems a waste to throw it away. Any input is appreciated.
>>
File: Shoe_GOO_3_7floz_carded_tube.jpg (885 KB, 861x1600) Image search: [Google]
Shoe_GOO_3_7floz_carded_tube.jpg
885 KB, 861x1600
>>628746

Get to work.
>>
>>628726
>>628746

'Fitter here. Anon, what you've got there is a textbook case of polyurethane hydrolysis. Basically the PU midsole of your boot is losing its cohesion and crumbling. It tends to be worse on boots that are stored or disused for a long time, but it eventually happens to all PU shoes. The midsole starts to break down and once you put them on and start walking it just crumbles. I would frequently have customers come in confused because "My boots just fell apart, and I've hardly ever worn them!" but that is, in reality, why the fell apart. It sounds counterintuitive, but the more you wear them the longer they last.

Now can it be fixed? I'm gonna be straight with ya, anon. I don't think the chances are good.

1. That's a laminated sole, not a stitched or layered welt, so it's unlikely your average cobbler could repair it. That takes some more specialized equipment and only a few shops have it (the only two I can think of are in Seattle and Colorado).

2. The midsole is the culprit, not the outsole. If it was the outsole I'd be more optimistic, but the midsole holds the whole boot together.

3. Depending on how old the boot is and who made it for EMS, the parts to repair it maybe out of production.

Check the tag to see if you can find more manufacturing info. Like the old REI spirit boot was actually made by Reichle. It's still in production, just under the Mammut logo instead.
>>
http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/outdoor/how-to-resole-hiking-boots-20150114

Here's an article with list of hiking/climbing cobblers.

There's shops in WA, OR, CO, MA and VA.
>>
>>625157
Gott dayum those look tight as fuck.

French surplus ftw.
>>
>>628779
>>628779
Thanks for the helpful information, that's exactly what happened, I did not use them for a long while. I will check the tags but EMS doesn't make this line anymore.
>>
>>628806
EMS might be able to tell you the model of the boot and when it was in production you can probably backtrack the manufacturer from there and see if they have anything similar still in production.
>>
File: Cannock_Chase_Path.jpg (4 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
Cannock_Chase_Path.jpg
4 MB, 3872x2592
Need to get babby's first boots, couple of questions

>How much is reasonable to spend? Is there a big difference between $150 boots compared to $90?
>Any particular brands to steer clear from?
>>
>>628827
milsurp for cheap boots
>>
Same thing with bags and boots and I still don't understand why. Is there an affordable and durable set up that doesn't make you look like a 2nd division militia for an african dictator? You guys look like you're shopping for guerrilla warfare.
>>
>>629355
Special forces use civi' hiking boots so how do you know those guys aren't LARPing too?
>>
>>629368
The government and military LARP all the time. They RP more than the have any LA really.
>>
>>628014
British assault boots are gud
Protip tho, you need to set the lacing up properly and break them in extremely thoroughly or they will destroy your feet
>>
>>629355
>caring about aesthetics when /out/
Why? Also outside of a couple of gearfags most don't have much discretionary income so need to have something that works.
>>
>>631490
This I'm aware. I just don't understand why legit camping packs and gear is pricy when milspec is so cheap. Especially since "tacticool" never seems to fade.
>>
File: boot.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1338) Image search: [Google]
boot.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1338
I need a boot to run in 10 miles in that can drain water. Will also be be carrying (35lbs) with no time to stop emptying waterlogged boots. Is a jungle boot a good choice or are there any good alternatives.
>>
Is Iowa any good?
>>
>>631538
Lowa Renegades are pretty well-liked. Platatac, in Australia, has them on sale for $167AU at the moment. That's about $119 USD.
>>
File: 20151116_173819.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151116_173819.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
Is there anything I can do to salvage these boots? They were my dad's old boots from EMS and I love the way they feel. However, it seems like the leather is sagging around the middle. Can it be fixed?
>>
>>626594
I got a pair of timb pros from the thrift store, they're fantastic. Mine had already seen very heavy usage and had a lot of exterior damage but they're still going fine, very comfortable and sturdy,
>>
>>631542
>Dunk boot in water for 10 seconds
>take out
>hold boots between some sort of pressure applying apparatus
>set up so the boots dry with the sag pushed back to normal
>hit that shit with a heat gun or hair dryer until the shit's dry
>Buy cheap leather conditioner
>apply a Fuckton everywhere
>Buy Sno-Seal
>apply to all leather bits in an even, thin coat, >work it in with your hands using a blowdryer
Bam, revitalized boots
>>
>>631564
Holy shit thank you
>>
>>626594
get a higher end model if you can
I've had 2 cheaper pairs and both lasted around 10 months in an industrial environment, 10 hours, 5 days a week, but coworkers have had the higher models and lasted over a year
by comparison I got some carhartt's (company boot voucher is only good at local stores that have shit selection) that only lasted 4 months
>>
File: Redwing 400.jpg (183 KB, 993x1149) Image search: [Google]
Redwing 400.jpg
183 KB, 993x1149
REDWING
E
D
W
I
N
G

Best damn pair of boots I've ever had.
>>
The boots Puma made for MGSV looked pretty sweet. I doubt they are very practical or suitable for sneaking missions though.
>>
File: 1446951124747.jpg (438 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
1446951124747.jpg
438 KB, 1024x1536
Any advice on waterproofing boots? About try it out in a few days on a new pair of boots.
>>
>>631567
Don't go too batshit with the heat gun. You can seriously fuck the leather beyond repair if you overdo it. You have the chance of burning it, the leather will become dry, stiff, and will eventually crack. My rule is that if my hand cant stand the heat, I tone it down a bit.
>>
>>631542
Please post an after pic... because I'm that weird.
>>
>>625148
Farmer's boots. Just look for them in the shops that specialize in gear for workers and farmers. Seriously, that shit cost me about 50$ for a black pair, beige are cheaper and that shit is for farmers and shit.
>>
What do you guys reckon are the best 1.0 boots?

By which I mean the ones that don't have all the features and aren't ideal for hiking but last forever and become infused with manly essence.
>>
Is it a bad idea to buy boots online? I'm one of two sizes, though (6 or 6.5), so how do I know what to get? There's not really stores around here that sell /out/ stuff. There is a mountain warehouse but I have never bought from them before.

>>631551

Wait, timberland is a good brand? I only see them worn by street trash to go rob a mall. Are they actually /out/able?
>>
File: 8.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>632117
>>
>>632146
nice, now whenever you want to get a new pair of boots you can just send them to danner and they will replace the sole and the leather for free.

enjoy some of the best boots you could ever buy.
>>
>>625148
If you're caving I highly recommend just going to walmart and buying some rubber farm boots (wellies). They have some with good aggressive tread and I love that my feet don't get soaked if I have to go through stream passage of 8" water or less.

I can still climb in them just fine and they were $30
>>
>>632149
>replacing the sole and the leather
First thing to break on a goretex lined boot is... you guessed it... the goretex.
Otherwise, yeah, looks nice.
>>
File: 1389021056191.jpg (56 KB, 236x210) Image search: [Google]
1389021056191.jpg
56 KB, 236x210
>>632149
They won't do it forever. Only to the end of the original boots warranty period. Basically they're good for two years. After that they'll disintegrate and Danner will say "sorry".
>>
ello

Have a small separation between the sole and leather on a pair of corcorans hot weather boots due to constantly hooking on objects. Can i just use contact cement as a preventative measure against splitting
>>
>>633351
YES,
Use
Shoe Goo
OR
Gorilla Glue
>>
>>633361
thank
>>
>>626594
Bought a pair 5 years ago, never had a better pair of workboots. Have a different set at work with the metatarsal guard and they've survived being beat to shit in our Forge.
>>
>>631528
If its just 10 miles, any army style boot thats lightweight and running shoe-like. Nike SFB, rockly lightweight etc.
>>
I need a reasonably priced ($50-$150) pair of boots that will keep my shit warm in cold conditions for long periods of time. Hunting eastern Appalachia is a lot of sitting all day in 20 degree weather and I'm sick of my feet being cold and hurting constantly.
>>
Do any of you gents avoid goretex footwear? I hear that it is typically the first part of the boot to fail.
>>
>>635474
There's a number of hunting boots at any store anywhere in that price range that will do that. Most are near the $100 mark.
>>
>>634269
Do the Nike SFB hold up to actual standard? Or are they just another line of tacticool boots?
>>
>>635848
So just get heavy ones?
>>
File: image.jpg (401 KB, 933x1400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
401 KB, 933x1400
>>635851
/fa/ likes them because Shia wears them. Take that as you will.
>>
>>635910
>Take that as you will.
Nothing. I take that as nothing.
>>
File: UA-valsetz-rts.jpg (108 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
UA-valsetz-rts.jpg
108 KB, 700x500
I rock these.

fucking love them.
>>
>>635851
I've been looking into durable lightweight combat boots and the Belleville TR900 Jungle Runners seem to be functionally the same as Nike SFBs but with much better build quality as far as the soles go. The midsoles on Nike SFBs sometimes peel off from the upper after a short period of normal usage, but the Jungle Runners are stitched all the way around.

I've come to the conclusion that Nike SFBs are about as weak as any Nike running shoe. They may be comfy enough for you to go and buy your $4 latte every morning, but if you use them on the trail for any reasonable length of time they will disintegrate.

Also, sweatshops.
>>
>>636337
That makes sense.
>>
>>635889
Get the ones that are warm and comfortable to you. You have a massive amount of boots at your disposal for that criteria.
>>
>>636337
Dude for combat boots go with Danners.
They make a real rugged, lightweight duty boot
>>
How are the standard issue army boots for hiking?

I've got a few pairs laying around so I dunno if it would be worth it to spend money on boots.
>>
>>636394
For durability probably more than you'll ever need. Comfort leaves a lot to be desired. The military isn't all that big on comfort. But I'm sure you know that.
>>
>>636398
the standard issue ones have a sweet spot of being comfy as fuck once you wear them down enough. But then you wear them down too much and the heel is shot and it's not comfy.
>>
>>636401
What's the average time to break them in and how long after that until they're shot? If it's worth it I may dust off my old ones that got given to me a few years ago.
>>
>>636408
>>636408
Depends on the wear time. My boots from basic training got comfy after my last ruck and stopped being comfy after 5 months of garrison wear walking 4+ miles a day.
>>
File: 590603_ts.jpg (206 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
590603_ts.jpg
206 KB, 1154x1154
is corcoran gud?
>>
>>628129
Caving destroys boots very quickly (at least where I live) so no point in spending too much on them
>>
>>636456
Why the fuck is all of this shit so expensive?
>>
>>636561
top qualiteh and established marque

>i actually own a pair of those and there great
>tfw just ordered a pair of their field boots too
>>
>>636473
>don't spend much on your boots
>do something that's hard on your feet

I don't know about you, but I enjoy my feet.
>>
File: Dr Marten's - Combs.jpg (98 KB, 749x649) Image search: [Google]
Dr Marten's - Combs.jpg
98 KB, 749x649
>>625148
Anyone have experience with Doc Marten's "Combs"
They seem really lightweight, but would they be good for day to day wear?
>>
>>627601
The fact that you're asking if a desert boot is waterproofs shows that you've never been /out/ in your life
>>
>>636969
Wtb ventilators for 200$

>suck it trebek
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-26-17-41-06.png (692 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-26-17-41-06.png
692 KB, 1440x2560
>>626541
Looking into these for casual wear. I'm from Michigan and its time I stepped up my boot game. Any tips before I order? Any discounts available?
>>
>>636969
I am not that guy but what does that have to do with anything ? I wear sneakers almost all the time while outdoors. The exceptions being when I expect to encounter sharp rocks, lots of mud and water, or snow. Even then I don't wear proper boots, just low to mid hikers.
>>
>>636706
Upper structure seems interesting, but the sole looks like the classic 'slips anywhere' model. Would not want if so.
>>
im looking for a boot that has good traction
is kinda warm but isn't a winter boot specifically
something that can be worn in multiple seasons and withstand snow and maybe ice
i was thinking danner or lowa
>>
what do you guys think bout going /out/ with dr Martens? i got a pair for city use and they aren't really warm but that could be fixed with right socks i guess but what do you think? im not going hardcore with them just day hikes and maybe a one or two night camp.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Guys need some advice here, I just bought this locally made jungle boots but they doesn't come with the small water outlets like it should.

Should I make them outlets myself (drilling/punching with belt tools?) or should i just leave them to avoid fucking up them boots?
>>
>>637383
>locally made

go and see if the manufacturer can do it
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 800x600
>>637383
Alternatively get some sheet metal/ drinking straw diameter pipe and make a small tube. cut v shaped notches around the circumference on both sides and then fold over the ends once you slip it through the hole.

-diy grommet.

as for making the hole i suggest a hole smaller in diameter than the grommet to create tension.

ps. you could fuck up your shoe
>>
>>637175
My friends have worn them on hikes and shit with me. Didn't have any problems.
>>
File: image.jpg (551 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
551 KB, 2000x2000
5.11 tactical pursuit
>>
File: 23.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>636975
Order a half size down if available, if not just order your regular size. Other than that just be ready for some sik bewtz
>>
>>637468
and lifetime warranty, and new leather and soles whenever you want.
>>
>>637468
Should I pull the trigger?
Are all their boots available for reconstruction?
>>
>>637497
I bought em. My feet are a perfect EE 7.5 and these were the boots I had my eyes on last year. It's like it was meant to be
>>
File: g7313st-georgiap_01.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
g7313st-georgiap_01.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
Two years of wildland firefighting, holding strong
>>
>>636706
Don't run /out/ with Dyke Martens, you'll break your ankle. They're also made like shit these days and will come apart if used for anything other than begging for change in a university town.
>>
>>627877
me2thx
>>
>>631695
is red wing actually good or is it just a dank may may?
thought about getting a pair of red wing iron rangers myself.
>>
>>637460
gucci af but 5.11 boots dont have good reviews, even on their website

anyways, what should you do with a new pair of leather boots as far as protecting them
>>
File: red wing iron ranger.jpg (463 KB, 740x450) Image search: [Google]
red wing iron ranger.jpg
463 KB, 740x450
>>638165
pic related. anyone else recommend something like these? i really like the classic look for walking around.
>>
>>638169
For a fashion boot they're good, for anything else they are meh-tier at best
>>
>>628827
$150 boots are likely to be significantly better than $90. Above $200 returns diminish severely. Rothco makes money off looking like cool durable military gear but being actually shit, don't buy rothco. I personally have had good experience with Salomon and Keen boots, and Danner is pretty well-recommended.
>>
>>631524
Because the most important trait for military gear is affordable durability. Civilian gear will be significantly lighter, more ergonomic and more comfortable, and will be durable enough.
>>
>>631695
Does red wing make anything that good for hiking though?

>>638165
red wing is extremely high quality but they mostly make street and work boots. I don't think they have much that's optimized for hiking.
>>
>>636456
I don't have personal experience but I hear they are extremely good quality

>>637895
Man I love logger boots
>>
>>638169
I've had a pair of these for one and a half years now and I'm well versed in civilian working boots, hiking boots, military boots (working in the military) as well as multisport shoes and other comfortable shoes.

They are among the most comfortable shoes I've ever had and they look very good. If you take care of them they won't fail you, I know someone that has had a pair almost daily for seven years and they're still in excellent condition. I can wear them with almost any outfit and style of clothing.

I don't wear them when walking in nature, however. For one, the sole is completely smooth and doesn't grip at all except with the heel. I once had to make my way up a snowy mountain in them. It wasn't very fun. Secondly- why? They hold no real advantages over modern outdoor boots except ease of repair for a cobbler. If you can afford these get them for regular or path walking and get a modern pair for in-nature walks.
>>
>>627678
yo where is that picture taken? looks super familiar
>>
>>637895
>>638216
Logger boots don't seem to get much love. What's the deal with that? Are they really heavy? Too uncomfortable for long hikes?
>>
File: 51bMDF4-xeL._SY395_.jpg (21 KB, 388x395) Image search: [Google]
51bMDF4-xeL._SY395_.jpg
21 KB, 388x395
I have a pair of waterproof Palladium boots. I know they're city boots but I fucking love them for hiking because they're not too rigid and they're super light.

They don't breathe well at all though and are getting a bit fucked up.

Any recommendations for something similarly light/waterproof? I like being able to paddle in shallow rivers without getting my feet wet, so they need to be really waterproof. I also like a nice flex - I'll get a rigid pair of Scarpas when I need to use crampons.
>>
>>638662
I'd recommend jungle boots or a modern derivative.
Sure your feet will get wet quickly, but you'll get them dry almost as fast.
>>
>>638662
palladiums are actually awesome summer boots.

I have a low cut pair, and an 8 inch pair that have fur liner. fucking love them.
>>
>>638487
They're great once you break them in. It is death of one thousand death suns before that.
>>
>>638487
Also the heel is pretty high for long walks, better for working on hills and ladders
>>
File: 1410194449879.png (10 KB, 427x474) Image search: [Google]
1410194449879.png
10 KB, 427x474
>>635910

>Shia LaBeef wears them
>into the bin
>>
>>625148
I have a pair of altama jungle boots. Like some others have said for wet areas like a proper jungle or marshes they're pretty great, however they aren't the best for rocks, general wear, etc. I dont regret the purchase though, the instep drain is god like
>>
>>638487
They're for americans with biophobia who want to get as far away as possible from the scary ground.
>>
>>638802
Shia is a pretty cool dude desu
>>
File: rare_please_do_not_save.jpg (80 KB, 540x390) Image search: [Google]
rare_please_do_not_save.jpg
80 KB, 540x390
What's a good boot that can be used for hiking that looks similar to Nike SFB/Combat Boots?
>>
File: nike_sfb_boots_01.png (159 KB, 468x544) Image search: [Google]
nike_sfb_boots_01.png
159 KB, 468x544
Nike SFB tacticals
Hiking every other day. Been using them for almost 2 years.
Would buy again/10
>>
>>638947
Really tho? I heard they aren't really durable.
>>
>>637137
My Lowa GTX-8s is good for 3 seasons, but it isn't well insulated enough for the dead of winter here in Canada. Wore them outside for about 6 hours yesterday and my feet were starting to get cold halfway through, it was just around freezing.
>>
File: 2015-09-24 08.45.51.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-24 08.45.51.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>639001
>Lowa GTX-8s
oops, i meant Z-8S GTX. Ugh, too tired.
>>
File: IS-00878-1-pdp.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
IS-00878-1-pdp.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>626140
Similar to the trailblazers from irish setter, they are my favorite boot company by far
>>
>Ctrl F "whites"
>???
>Ctrl F "smokejumpers"
>???

How often do you get new boots? My grandfather was a forest service guy for 70 years. For this period he had a total of 6 pairs of boots. Whites Smokejumpers. Each pair runs 350-400 but are made in America and fully rebuildable. When I went to college in Alaska he bought me three pairs so i can rotate a pair out each day, oil, put on boot dryer.

It is quite the investment, but depending on how often you buy new shoes its a lifetime kind of thing.
>>
anyone here have a really old pair of bean boots?
once i break in a pair of shoes i like to keep em around. as an example, i wore my last pair of converse through the sole. there was a hole through the bottom of the shoe because i wore the rubber so thin it just completely wore out.
now obviously theres a pretty big disparity in build quality and materials between $25 chuck taylors and $120 bean boots, but i was just wondering if anybody had any experience or could tell me about the wear pattern. like how the canvas on the chucks always wears out on the side of the toe cap and near the crease. i havent been able to find anything about how bean boots wear out because nobody seems to be able to wear them out. i know my dad has a pair thats older than me, which is part of the reason i got my pair in the first place.
>>
>>639278
Don't the bean duck boots have a lifetime warranty?
>>
>>639289
they do. but im going to wear them until i cant before i send them in and i was just wondering if anybody had anything they wanted to share about the interim
>>
File: 1448992728098.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1448992728098.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>639000
Well my boots are still going. My cats have done more damage then the actual hiking
>>
>>639314
I'm not the other anon, but thanks for the pic. You just chose my next pair of boots for me senpai.
>>
>>625148
I have Solomon boots. They're ok.
>>
>>639314
how do you tighten the laces i dont see any aglets or ends?
>>
File: Circle_radians.gif (105 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Circle_radians.gif
105 KB, 450x450
help pls

what do i do for new leather. do i have to condition then polish or polish then clean and condition and re polish after a few months
>>
>>640190
i clean them, then condition, then treat, then polish.
>>
>>640190
Leather care is a bit controversial now with all the different products (and the manufacturers not explaining it objectively), but I like the way altberg explains it.
http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/bootcare/

Basically, your boot leather needs

-fat/oil which enters the leather,keeping it supple and waterproof, but removes breathability and can make it too soft if too much is used
-wax, which remains on the surface mostly, protects the leather and repels water

Note how they offer two products, one for general care with a high content of wax and low content of fat and one for restoring particularly dry leather with more fat. You're supposed to keep the leather in the sweet spot of fat content to remain supple but not weak and replenish the wax coating regularly.

Almost all shoe polishers and leather care products will have both, but it'll be hard to tell the composition. I assume leather conditioner will be basicallx fat/oil or a substance of similar effect that will usually not build a coating (you don't want that on a leather jacket or something...)
I would suggest to just get a normal boot leather care product with both parts and treat it regularly. Having too much wax can look funny but is ultimately harmless, too much fat willl make the leather weak, so take caution. If the leather ever starts looking dry, apply more or apply fat/oil/etc. separately.

Also, before applying anything to the leather, it should be absolutely clean and dry. Greasing up dirt will not do the leather well.

Goretex Leather boots are not supposed to be treated with fat/oil since these remove breathability and clog the membrane. However, the resulting treatment with wax or nothing at all is adverse to longevity. I also don't believe the breathability of waxed leather over a membrane is useful any more (dunno why manufacturers still produce GTX boots...)

tl, dr: always clean before doing stuff, apply *something* regularly, apply conditioner when really needed.
>>
>>640337
>>640330
thanks m8s
>>
>>639948
Pull tight, tie laces above the ankles.
>>
>>637460
>>638166

Dubs anon gets it. 5.11 has some real nice stuff, but their boots simply aren't up to par.
>>
>>638204

I dunno, man. I have a pair of Rothco desert combat boots that have held up for the past 6 years and counting.
>>
File: jaga_jaques_42_p1.jpg (86 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
jaga_jaques_42_p1.jpg
86 KB, 768x768
Got these from some hippy snowflake company in yurop. [spoiler]My kebab removal boots.[/spoiler]
>>
>>640343
and to add a little, i usually treat them every few months, not often at all i dont really have a schedule, if it looks like they need it or im just feeling it and its been a while. same with polish, if the polish looks like its wearing down ill re polish. that usually means about every other month because i dont wear the same boots every day and i dont bother to polish my working boots too often because why bother?
>>
>>628540
>Cabela's Snow Runner Winter Boots

Forgot about this thread, but I got the boots and they seem pretty good, though admittedly I've only worn them outside once so far, as it hasn't been cold enough yet to justify wearing them.

They're pretty stiff all around but comfortable and they seen quite warm (shoveled snow in them for a half hour or so) but I will say I don't like the top three "speed laces" which aren't very speedy, as they're more like clips then hooks and while tying up the boots is fine, loosening and unclipping the laces to untie the boots is annoying.
>>
File: mink oil paste02.jpg (122 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
mink oil paste02.jpg
122 KB, 500x332
>>640190
>>
File: 1427238365190.jpg (116 KB, 530x551) Image search: [Google]
1427238365190.jpg
116 KB, 530x551
>>640424
is it wrong that i dont like it because they boil the minks even though im wearing leather
>>
>>640426
Cow leather is a byproduct. If we didn't wear them we'd still eat them.
>>
>>640427
minks are 2 qt
>>
>>640422
I work at cabela's, I sell these all the time. People seem to love them.
>>
>>640426
>>640427
>Breeding animals for fur that you can wear for decades is wrong
>Breeding animals for a few meals is somehow less wrong
>>
>>625148
For caving I just throw on shitty old running shoes. Might be different for you, but the cave I normally head to has water up to my chest in some parts. I watched this one hippie girl ruin her pair of good merrell boots in there, don't be that bitch.
>>
>>640654
cows should try being cute. we dont kill cute things
>>
>>640684
Not killing things because they're cute makes you a wimp, a faggot and a liberal.
>>
File: BTS-E02261-062813_03.jpg (77 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
BTS-E02261-062813_03.jpg
77 KB, 1200x1200
>>625148
I have a pair of these Bates side zip boots. They're light and the leather is soft so the break in time was minimal. Ive had them for a year now and they're pretty comfy. Ive been looking at some Soloman's but bates makes a quality product IMHO..
>>
File: mink_animals_1920x1192.jpg (479 KB, 1920x1192) Image search: [Google]
mink_animals_1920x1192.jpg
479 KB, 1920x1192
>>640434

I'm not sure if modern mink oil actually contains mink oil, or maybe just a little bit?
>>
>>640436
>People seem to love them.

I like the boots except for the "clip" type speed laces, (which are probably good for keeping the boots tied) which are kinda a pain in the ass to unclip the laces when untying the boots, as you're pulling away from the leg instead of pulling towards the leg when tying up the boots.
>>
>>640731
Yeah I agree the clips are a pain in the ass.

There are a few other companies that do it as well.
>>
>>640702
t. bunny head crusher Xxxx420
>>
>>640728
>>640434
what a qt animal.10/10 would never kill it other than for survival purposes.
>>
I didn't know Minks were basically chubby ferrets. There's no way I can buy that stuff now.
>>
I have no experience with warm climate hiking, but I'm going to be in the southwestern U.S. next summer; can anybody recommend something?
>>
File: adiletten.jpg (126 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
adiletten.jpg
126 KB, 667x500
>>640798
Not even one of those religious minimalistfags, but in that case (dry summers with almost zero chance of rain), I'd really recommend some trainers that fit you well.
German as I am, I even did some short 2-3 hour hikes (~10km max) on the Dalmatian coast during summer holidays there wearing pic related (no socks though, so not completely fulfilling the stereotype) and had no issues (terrain in next pic)
>>
File: 2015-08-25_12-23-24.jpg (895 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-25_12-23-24.jpg
895 KB, 900x1200
>>640832
(Here's a pic)
Of course you have to go slow, but it wasn't a very serious ascent (from 0 to 160m asl, with max inclines of about 35-40°)
>>
>>628014
Here, this may interest you

>>628222
>>628330
>>628351
Sorry for not replying, forgot all about this thread. Pic coming in a second, gotta post from my phone
>>
File: IMG_20151119_180703.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_180703.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>640945
>>
File: IMG_20151119_180722.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_180722.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>640946
>>
>>639044
>still shilling for bdsm tranny boots
>>
File: Moabs.jpg (1 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
Moabs.jpg
1 MB, 3120x4160
I'm on my second pair of Moabs, sure not the hardest of hard core boots but for the hiking I do I love em. They are really a 3 season boot but I wear em with gators in the winter and get along fine.
>>
File: 1449232804295-102925002.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
1449232804295-102925002.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2204
>>628014
Norwegian m/77 are nice when they are broken in and treated well
>>
>>640947
>>641159
>>625157

>tfw surplus is hard to find and the euros charge like 30e in shipping alone.

cant justify spending 15e on surplus with 30e shipping
>>
>>625157
also

www.cartalana.com/0258-boots.php
www.cartalana.com/0040-boots.php
>>
>>628791
seems like you could get a simular look from dubbed m43's. had no luck trying to find mle52's

www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/SMWCombatBoots/index.html
>>
File: 20151204_154418.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151204_154418.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>639948
Like this
>>
File: 20150623_114508.jpg (2 MB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20150623_114508.jpg
2 MB, 1494x2656
>>638487
Honestly i get that they might have a bad break-in time, but i didnt have any real issues. When youre making 22$+/hour its easy to get over shin-splints
>>
>>625157
>Rangers Mle 52
Wish a frog could hook me up with some of those
>>
>>637895

Smokjumper?
>>
>>641369
ive always preferred knotting the end and pulling the loops as long as possible and tucking it
>>
>>641442
dub your two buckles

>>641227
>>641233
>>
is something like mink oil necessary? saddle soap is supposed to suck moisture from the leather so would using that without any kind of conditioner on the leather eventually make it dry and crack and ruin the boot?
>>
>>641505
Ive tried that but it feels weird. They always move and get bunched up.
>>
File: 20150623_185510.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20150623_185510.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>641465
I wish. Helitack crew
>>
>>641547
my research seems to agree that it would make the leather dry
>>
>>641799
how does that work?
>>
Just got these.
>>
File: 20150415_173743.jpg (1 MB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20150415_173743.jpg
1 MB, 1494x2656
>>642348
Four person crews that are helicopter based (if we have one, on a regular day we cruise around in trucks), and when a fire gets reported by the public or detected by aircraft we fly to the nearest landing point and set up pumps and lay hose to it. Im based out of Ontario so lakes are everywhere so finding water isnt usually an issue
>>
>>642592
sounds exciting
>>
File: photo-2.jpg (715 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
photo-2.jpg
715 KB, 1296x968
Old and new, Christmas came early.
>>
>>642684
nice anon
>>
DO NOT BUY MILITARY BOOTS IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE MILITARY AND REQUIRED TO
THEY ARE FUNCTIONALLY INFERIOR AND LOOK RIDICULOUS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>642713
Autismo over here
>>
File: 2015-12-07_22-08-22.jpg (412 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07_22-08-22.jpg
412 KB, 1200x800
>>642713
I took mine over from conscription, and after 9 years of (admittedly rather irregular) use they're pretty much only damaged on the inside (leather on the heels is scrubbed through), still like them, more comfy than many others.
Also since they're obviously extremely mass produced, I assume the quality/price ratio to be above average.
Only downside for some might be the weight (combined about 2.3kg - stability comes with a price I guess), but I'd buy another pair again over some overpriced ultra-lightweight fad ones that fall apart after a couple months
>>
>>642713
are yoy refering to black "parade" boots or the more modern boots that are clearly inspired by hiking boots?

dont reee at me buddy
>>
>>642897
by "inspired by hiking boots" do you mean "as much like hiking boots as they can get away with while still meeting poorly thought through, outdated specs"?
its almost as if, being a civilian and not beholden to military rules, you should just get the hiking boots
>>
>>642913
thinking something like this desu >>636456.
hiking boots dont hug my calves like a sleeping sloth
>>
File: Scarpa-SL-M3.jpg (77 KB, 916x916) Image search: [Google]
Scarpa-SL-M3.jpg
77 KB, 916x916
>>628313
A mountaineering approach boot. Need something stiffer like pic related or any of the other euro brands. Think I'm going to try some zamberlan's this time around.
>>
>>642684
What is the new? They look exactly like what I want.
>>
>>638209
Look into Irish setters, they're made by red wing and they have quite a few hunting/hiking specific boots.

I love both pairs of my Irish setters and may never buy another boot make.
>>
>>642967
Hanwag Alaska GTX. Got them for 25% off on Black Friday.
>>
sort of off topic - what kind of boots do you guys recommend for somebody that works outdoors on their feet all day? mechanic in a shop with open bays.

I used to wear wolverine steel toes but they were too heavy. I've gone through a few other boots that dont seem to last very long. Dont necessarily need steel toes but do need good grip on dirty surfaces and good longevity.
>>
>>643898
Dude. Keen steel toe, there is a model named the Pittsburgh, awesome shoe for shops, waterproof, and cozy.

The Detroit, and Flint are awesome work hikersas well.

Think Hiking sneaker/boot with a steal toe or composite toe. They are also ATSM approved, and come in varying heights to meet spec for some factories and shops.
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.