[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping in the deep woods alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Appalachian Mountains.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Appalachian Mountains.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
Can /out/ give me any tips to camping alone deep in the mountains?
>I can fish, make a fire, and make decent shelter
>Hunting skills are still at beginner
>Getting better at identifying edible plants
>>
Bring food.
>>
Depends where you live
>>
You don't have to do any of that stuff unless you just really want to. Just bring food and a stove (if necessary), bring a shelter appropriate for the weather, and make sure you can stay warm enough during the night.
>>
Gather a ton of wood, if your plan is to build a fire. You'd be surprised how quickly you can go through wood during the night. When I'm alone deep in the woods at night I like to keep a good fire going all night.
>>
>>622017
Currently in a tropical climate but I plan on going to Appalachia
>>622040
I kind of want to, just to feel more in touch with nature. What type of shelter do you recommend for a cold climate?
>>
Yes do your homework first...then just do it.
>>
>>621983
How long are you camping for? Just do what these other anons are saying. Just go camping and enjoy it. You'll have fun. You don't have to try to turn it into some survival fantasy.
>>
Bring food. Bring 3 types of fire making. If you're hiking, don't ruck more than 60lbs. BRING. WATER. Bring more water. Bring at least a hatchet to process wood. I like to take an estwing and Bob's folding buck saw. Bring a tent or at least a tarp. Bring cordage for your tent or tarp. Depending on where/when you're going, you need a good sleeping bag. A pad may help but isn't necessary, I can usually collect brush and make a serviceable mattress. A compass is optional, if you know your paths, but go ahead and get one. No, you won't need or use your 9 inch knife.

And bring something to do. I have a piece of leather that I roll up my whittling knives in, good fun innawoods.
>>
>>623087
I know it was the first thing I said but I want to reiterate and explain: bring food. MREs or whatever you can pack. You spend a lot of calories not only getting to your camp, but then setting it up, and then even more calories are spent processing wood. After that is said and done, you are not going to want to go and look and hunt and fish for food.

Not that you can't look and hunt and fish for food, but just bring food, man.
>>
>>623066
>about a week
>assuming I don't want to turn it into some survivalist fantasy

>>623087
Extremely helpful, also what else would you recommend for shelter during the end of fall/beginning of winter?

>623089
MRE's and canned food can get boring after a while so I like to switch things up after a while.
>>
>>623343
If you have your basics (the basics are relatively dense) covered, then start bringing extra stuff to keep you warm. Blankets and layered clothing, extra food and food you can heat up would be the next thing on my list.
>>
File: missing_map[1].jpg (198 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
missing_map[1].jpg
198 KB, 1280x853
>>621983
What's your race/ancestry/eye color?

If you have Nordic features, I would advise you going anywhere "deep" in the mountains. Many people have disappeared in the woods and they fit a distinctive profile (namely the one I mentioned above).

If you insist on camping, It would be wise to take someone else with you.
>>
I look like a mix of slav and Mediterranean
>>
>>621983
before anything else, have a prescribed trip length and route (if applicable). have as many people as you trust informed of both.
camping deep alone is always scary because ultimately you are alone unless you are overdue and hopefully help is on the way. have enough food for longer than your trip is planned to be, always. carry emergency medical supplies for the same reason. have enough warmth regardless of the bordering seasons. signaling devices carry their own weigh if you ever need them as unlikely as that is. yeah i was some low rank of scout, wanna fite about it?
the more alone you are, the more you should carry and the fewer chances you should take, despite that the more likely you to die alone.
>>
>>623517
What does being white have to do with going missing?
>>
>>622800
Something to shield from wind and a good sleeping bag is really all you need. If you can have a fire with a reflector you don't even need a really good sleeping bag.
>>
>>623574
Anything that can shield you from the cold ground is also a must-have. Whether it be a sleeping mat, a hammock or just some pine branches, it will aid greatly in keeping warm.
>>
>>623574
And a sleeping pad.
>>
>>623517
http://dcxposed.com/2014/04/27/secret-vanishings-americas-national-parks/

spooky scary skeletons
>>
If you are "deep in the mountains" and over 10,000 ft you should not make a fire or build a shelter
There is not enough wood up there
Anything you do at that elevation will remain for centuries
You need to pack out your tp as well
>>
>>623597
>not building a sweet snow cave.
>>
>>623597
DESIGNATED SHITTING MOUNTAIN
>>
>>623609
fucking indians man
>>
>>622800
>just to feel more in touch with nature

eyeroll.jpeg
>>
>>623549
>hint: the main culprit behind the disappearances are faeries and faeries love to take white people.
>>
>>623584
3Spoopy5me
>>
>>623517
>>623584
the California firefighter Mike Herdman who went missing and was found half way up a cliff face was still missing while i was camping in the same area. Two of my friends went missing for four hours on the way out of the sespe but i assumed they were just having sex or got lost on the trail.
>>
Eat bugs man they are everywhere! You will never starve and they taste good man.

Thank you anon who told me this. Fuck hunting for anything other than bugs...

Oh you hungry ? Just dig a fucking hole and eat some lice. Good stuff anon you are so pro.

Real question is water. You just drink moss and find clean streams. No problem at all.

Anyone who says its hard is not aware.
>>
>>622680
Yeah. You need really thick wooden logs
to burn. I used hlf a metre long, 20 cm thick piece and it was burning ember all night into the middle of the day.

>>623517
Wow this is so xcary. I actualy know about the creatures but I didnt know they did this. Good on them I suppose.

>>623532
Are you me? What is your country ancestry ?
>>
>>624146
Im Turkish but my parents were children to slav immigrants and aryan natives. Makes for a weird combo
>>
>>621983
Probably the most useful and lest-known tip I can think of: don't try to chop or cut wood. You burn WAY too many calories and time, both of which can go to better use. Just grab a fallen branch about the size of your wrist and swing it like a bat against a tree so it hits about 18 inches from the end. It'll break clean if it's dry and useable, if not, you don't want to burn it anyway.
>>
>>623576
A hammock isn't enough by itself, though. Cold wind underneath you is worse than ground that will provide a little insulation. I've had good luck with closed cell mats, but I'm going to be using a thru-bag hammock next trip (think sleeping bag and underquilt in one)
>>
>>625818
why not use a closed cell pad with a good sleeping bag and liner, and maybe even a fleece blanket? Underquilts are absurdly expensive and bulky for what can be made up for, in both cost and weight, with such a combination; these items combined are certainly less bulky than an under quilt, that much is certain
>>
>>621983
you need to learn how to defend yourself from whatever it is that's killing people out in the wilds

avoid big water sources, and boulder fields, that's where they like to operate the most
>>
>>625876
I've taken a closed cell pad my last few times out. I originally trimmed it, so it would fit on my mountain bike's handlebars, but I find that unless I keep my arms crossed at night, that I slip off and my triceps get chilly. I think that running my hammock through my sleeping bag will insulate without compression, saving even more weight and space. Do you think it's a bad idea?

Also, I've been using a SOL escape bivy and thermalite extreme liner as low as 40F, and getting in and out of that combo with a pad in a hammock is an incredible pain in the ass. I'm hoping that I can just slip into hammock and zip up the bag, hassle free, without having to keep adjusting a pad.
>>
>>625876
Also, I should have mentioned that I'm a semi-ultralighter. I travel mostly by foot or bike when I go camping, so every ounce counts.

>>625899
And I wasn't saying that the Bivy/liner combo is bad, 40F for that weight and size is downright awesome in my opinion, but in a hammock, it's just difficult to get in and out of.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.