[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
//Composting Toilets//
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: kkljkl5454.jpg (21 KB, 298x379) Image search: [Google]
kkljkl5454.jpg
21 KB, 298x379
Wondering if anybody has experience using composting toilets? More specifically, installation, odor issues, disposal and compost quality techniques. Please no memes.
>>
>>621040
why not just set up a septic tank?
>>
how does the compost get down there ?
>>
Most geochaches are composting but people dont realize it yet.
>>
>>621052
I originally posted this question on my phone, and asked out of genuine curiosity. I never heard of composting toilets, though I've used them before, until this thread.

This prompted me to look it up and I found about 100 pictures that better illustrated what it was and different set ups. OP is clearly just trolling with a detailed image of what appears to be an indian man with his pants around his ankles taking a dump. This image of the indian man was colored in, as well as the poo.

What I find disturbing about this picture, however, is not the detailed feces, but rather the fact that indians typically squat while defecating and typically on designated shitting streets rather than pooing in the loo, as is illustrated in the OP.
>>
>>621085
Geocaches are /out/s version of /pol/s poo in the loo references to India..

Or /b/ in general.
>>
>>621040
relevant shitposting...
>>
>>621040
>fertilizing food with human waste

You better eat a strictly vegetarian diet with no crazy chemicals. We get rid of a lot of bad shit out of our asses, and this is a recipe for a horrible disaster.

Not to mention all the pathogens found on our shit. You planning to head carrots that have sat in your own moist shit for months?
>>
>>621109
I could see it for landscaping fertilizer though, but definitely not gardening. Carnivore poop is not very good for fertilizer anyway in addition to the fact we eat a lot of nasty shit.
>>
File: access.jpg (86 KB, 450x388) Image search: [Google]
access.jpg
86 KB, 450x388
>>621040
No experience, but using common sense

1. draining
2. getting rid of the liquids
3. venting

A traditional "outhouse" works just fine if it's used only a couple times a year. As long as the stuff stays dry, It won't stink too much.

>>621109
>>fertilizing food with human waste
This is a very bad, and tbh gross idea. Unless you think some apocalyptic survival scenario you should seek help.
>>
>>621109
fertilizing \= composting
>>
>>621114
>Day 33: I have melded among them. None of the pottygoers see me as anything but poo.
>>
>>621109

What do you think happens to the solids from waste water treatment plants? They get trucked to farmers fields. Euthanized animals from veterinarians (yes cats and dogs) go to a rendering plant then become fertilizer. Welcome to the real world.
>>
the fan would blow air out through the toilet and i can tell you from experience at those outdoor toilets that that is a very bad experiance
>>
>>621153
>What do you think happens to the solids from wastewater treatment plants

The wastewater comes in, goes through a huge sand filter, then makes its way to other tanks to be filtered again and then chlorinated, fluoridated, UV filtered. Solid poo chunks are broken down and sterilized, if they are too big to filter they stay behind.

No one uses human shit as a fertilizer.
>>
>>621161
Not true there's a plant in wi that makes lawn fertiliser that way
>>
File: 1434663472168.jpg (397 KB, 1247x799) Image search: [Google]
1434663472168.jpg
397 KB, 1247x799
>>621040
Are you a hot chick by chance?

Are you in need of a toilet troll?
>>
File: img-thing.png (54 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54 KB, 300x300
>>621171
>>
Op if you're serious, search 'Gone With the Wynns' on youtube, they do a QnA on REAL composting toilets (not pit toilets oor outhouses).

They basically convinced me to go fulltime RV for the next year to save for property.

Also look for their vid 'Boondocking', good stuff!
>>
>>621111
good thing humans arent carnivores

knew this hambeast who actually called lettuce on a hamburger *rabbit food*

Leme guess, you're a hambeast
>>
>>621161
>No one uses human shit as a fertilizer.
Implying farmers don't help (old) people with old houses out by clearing their tanks in spring. We sure as hell do it..
>>
>>621184
Cheers i will look this up
>>
>>621092
What part of "no memes" dont you understand?
>>
File: milorganite.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
milorganite.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
>>621161

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite
>>
File: Privy 2H 1905 SP M-44-04A.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2287) Image search: [Google]
Privy 2H 1905 SP M-44-04A.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2287
>>621040
> composting toilets?

If for some reason you can't install a conventional toilet and septic tank, just build an outhouse

Nobody wants the stench of shit inside their cabin and nobody wants to shovel out shit.
>>
>>621161

You are an idiot. They spread sludge in the field across the road every fucking year and it stinks for weeks. That said, its hard to consider it shit anymore.
>>
I've used composting toilets which were effectively "shit into a bucket" -- take out the bucket when full and put it into a large holding vat where I believe it has to sit for a year or so before being considered for use.

Two technical points:

the front of toilet was the 'pee chute' -- goes away through a buried pipe.. guess into some kind of sink away from the house. Keeping pee separate from the poo is important.

Extractor fan keeps the smell to a minimum... But yeah it's not high luxury.
>>
>>621525
>>621567

See >>621184. The effort vs. not having a clickable link is keeping you in ignorance.

Sorry.
>>
File: Custom Outhouse 008.jpg (279 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Custom Outhouse 008.jpg
279 KB, 1200x1600
>>621567
> Two technical points:

As I suggested up-thread, nobody wants to continually smell the stink of shit wafting through their cabin and they sure as shit don't want to shovel out shit.

Just build an outhouse.

A properly built and maintained outhouse has less smell then a composting toilet AND as it's well away from the cabin, you won't smell anything in the cabin ever.

I'll take a short walk, over smelling shit all day erry day...
>>
>>621571

How about you make point right here in this thread, instead of tell us to make your point for you, by wandering around Youtube looking for a video?
>>
>>621572
I'm with you. Just sharing my experience with them.

I guess the end product is some decent fertiliser... But a lot more hassle than it's worth, for sure.

>>621571
Watched their video - very cute demonstration, but I'd have to see it in action to be convinced...
>>
>>621160
It sucks it down. The only issue is when the power goes off.

Have had one for over ten years. Yet to empty in as it was designed for 5 people and there is only one of me. I suspect I will have to add something to it sooner or latter as its runs too dry.
>>
>>621161
look it up
>>
>go to worthington state forest, NJ
>see they use composting toilets
>go inside restroom, sink and two toilet stalls
>smell hits you
>wonder if someone just took a massive dump
>no, that's the toilet and it always smells like this
>sign says keep the lid closed (contain smell), no smoking in or near restroom
>open toilet
>deep, dark hole
>grab glasses to my face in irrational fear of them falling to a shitty demise
>shit as quickly as possible to get out of there
>no flushing (kind of nice)
>smell never got better over course of trip
>this was winter--imagine summer

Great for a park service, muh environment. Would not have in my home. Or anywhere near my property.

Anyway, you can look into reed filtration. Basically it was an underground run for waste, with reeds planted on top to take out the shit as fertilizer. Theory was they'd eat all the shit along the length of the run. There was a batch file of alternative/DIY construction ebooks floating around the net somewhere. bretty kool stuff.
>>
>>622491
That's a pit toilet or totally unmaitained composting toilet.

> just wait until you sitdown and flies are crawling all over your anus
> and you know where they've been
>>
>>621161
This level of idiocy.
>>
>>621521
I love this product.
>>
>>622502
Oh my god man.
>>
>>621161
HA

Love it when idiots who have no idea flaunt their "knowledge" like its truth. Bitch, u dumb, read a book
>>
>>621161
Wut?

You need to tour a wastewater treatment plant. I suggest the one on the Northrim of GCNP. I've done both and the one on the north rim is cuter!

BTW, yes, yes they do.
>>
>>621171
that house always looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>621161
shit neeg, my mennonite neighbors switched to people shit one year and I could definitely smell the difference.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.