[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular opinions and gear choices. I prefer corona saws to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 038313072650lg.jpg (12 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
038313072650lg.jpg
12 KB, 276x276
Unpopular opinions and gear choices.

I prefer corona saws to bahco.

I like moras but will never carry one because I would not trust my life to it.

I like quality tomahawks Inna woods over hatchets
>>
I use bank line instead of paracord
>>
>>620921

would be interested in trying a corona but availability here in the uk sucks sucks, about the only readily availabe folding saws froma hardware store are shitty unbranded ones or are fiskars, you've got to shop around for a bacho- the closest place I know shop wise where you can walk in and buy one is like 70 miles away
>>
>>620921
>I would not trust my life to it.

Because of the plastic grips?
>>
>>620935
Definitely worth while they are bigger and heavier but you get that curve and 3 more inches.

>>620939
I use a tops bob knife. Full tang. Thick spine. Feels more substantial.
I also believe the knife is the most important piece of kit, so why would you skimp on that cost wise. I have seen people carry a 80$ titanium cup and spork and a 14$ mora. Don't make sense to me.
>>
>>620921
I prefer my cold steel trail hawk to my GB forest axe.

Most hiking boots are little better than most work boots which cost half as much.

911 was an inside job, except the Gov on the inside was the Saudi Gov.

People who favor big knives for going out are morons who don't know what their doing and never really go out.
>>
>>620921
I'm convinced that hatchets, saws and large blade knifes are 99% of the time only mantoys and are not needed for camping except if you are into serious bushcrafting in the boreal forest

I also believe that /out/ has become the home base for said mantoy collectors.

I believe they never use those tools either, because they never post OC
>>
>>620999
Checked
I don't think hatchets are, even regular camp ground campaign my dad apwats brought 2 fire axes camping that me and my brothers always used to chop wood for fires, they were overkill but got used so I think hatchets are justified.
I agree with you on the other points though.
>>
>>620957
>except the Gov on the inside was the Saudi Gov
... Do you know what 'inside job' means?
>>
>>620943
>spork
/out/ Sporks and their prices are insane. Learn how to use and make chopsticks, it will cover probably 90% of your spork use.
>>
>>621030
I find the whole spork thing pretty fucking meme. I realize they don't take up any room and weigh next to nothing but I'd be embarrassed just to own one.
>>
>>620999
this

I used to shamelessly run around with a Buck Hoodlum, then I realised just how little use it gets in real practical terms.

I now only pack an ESEE 3 If I want to have a dedicated bait knife out fishing, I've gone the past 3 years needing no more than a Fallkniven TK4
>>
>>621030
How the fuck do I eat soup with chopsticks?
>>
>>621509
Carefully
>>
people who disqualify moras have never owned or used one

people with more than three knives are borderline retarded, as most collectors are

knife collecting isn't really /out/ related
>>
All of these bushcraft knives are really quite pointless. For hunting, a dedicated skinner will be better. For food prep and light tasks, a small folder or meme Mora will be better and keeps your skinning knife razor sharp.

Bushcrafters have some sort of superiority complex about how they make stuff in the woods in a "minimalist" way, not realising that most backpackers carry less gear and travel much further while still being able to be fully self sufficient for the same length of time.

Bushcrafting is also fun, if you don't take it too seriously and recognise that you're doing something the hard way because it's something you enjoy, not because it's better than any other way.
>>
>>620921
why do you prefer tomahawks over hatchets?
>>
>>621030
i just make small skewers they make do
also bought a $1 spork made of plastic but never used it so far.
>>
>>621509
You drink the soup directly from the container and push the solids into your mouth with the sticks.
>>
>>620921
Modern particle metallurgy steels greatly increase performance of general purpose knives.

Tents should not have floors.

GB axes are cool and all but they don't outperform other axes of similar design, like Wetterlings, Husqvarna, Council, etc.

Starbucks via is an optimal coffee for backpacking.

Making fire with anything other than a lighter time wasting tryhardism.

There is not going to be a zombie apocalypse or other SHTF happening that will require anyone to go innawoods and survive, so developing skills to support such a thing is ridiculous.
>>
>>621996
agree with the rest, but a tent without a floor is a glorified tarp at best. enjoy your bugs and condensation.

water filtration is a waste of time 99,8 % of the time.
>>
>unpopular opinions

Most of the debate about gear on this board is a mix brand-fagging, minutiae and splitting hairs.
>>
>paracord
>bank line

For the vast majority of /out/ related tasks (securing a tarp, hanging food) a length of nylon clothesline from the hardware store is more than sufficient.
>>
>>622010
>a length of nylon clothesline from the hardware store is more than sufficient.

And weighs twice as much and costs three times more faggot
>>
>>622027
>and costs three times more faggot
LoLwut?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160976858303

https://www.dollartree.com/household/cleaning/laundry-cleaning/Essentials-Plastic-Clothes-Lines-with-Hooks/500c501c506p318207/index.pro?method=search
>>
corona and bahco both suck, silky saw is where its at.
>>
>>621996
>Tents should not have floors.
I see you enjoy sleeping in the mud like a fucking animal.

>There is not going to be a zombie apocalypse or other SHTF happening that will require anyone to go innawoods and survive, so developing skills to support such a thing is ridiculous.

>no fun allowed.jpg
And you call other people tryhards.
>>
>>620921
Corona is piss infused with glass shards.
I prefer Miller High Life.
>>
>>622004
>>622063

There is no mud-sleeping, as we upright walking modern men recognize we can bring along a ground sheet. We are likely to need such a thing even with a floored tent to prevent damage to our sleeping pad.

The stove typically drives away condensation while providing warmth.
>>
>>622010
you have to consider that you either gonna burn or simply discard your cordage.
synthetic cordages should be an emergency only thing. unless you reuse them bit i find it a hassle and the lines always get dirt icky not cleanable gonna have sap and resin on them and who knows what.
>>
>>622009
>If you keep sailing west you'll fall off the edge of the planet.

Better?
>>
>>622096
Yeah unsightly cordage would make us look like boobs when we instagram our outings!
>>
>>620999
just becuase you get your firewood at the gas station doesnt mean the rest of us do

first thing i do when setting up camp is start collecting firewood. downed wood for sure, no cutting live trees as green wood sucks. but i for sure use the saw first thing.
>>
>>620999
thing is the knife is not so useful as you can pretty much do everything with the hatchet and it does better i'm saddened to admit.
i ended up only using my knife to cut my food and skewers for roasting.
>>
Not every outing has to be about Muh survival.
There was a thread where some anon asked if he should bring his axe on his appalachian trail thru hike. A lot of people told him he should just in case he was in a survival sitiuation.
>survival sitiuation
>on the AT
>>
>>622096
Do you burn your pack and shoes when they get dirty, too?

Seriously, I've never needed to burn my rope because it got a little sap on it. I'm still working off the $2 roll of nylon clothesline I bought a few years ago and it's been just fine.

I guess whatever you need to do to justify your special snowflake tactical twine.
>>
>>622166
survival situation is not much dependent on location it can happen in a city even
>>
>>622167
>your special snowflake tactical twine
i use the most common twine desu and it works fine for most tasks and i can throw it on the fire when done with it or leave it to decompose

i don't throw away my pack but i use a garbage bag when i put it on the ground partly to protect from dampness and rain party to keep it clean then i use the bag to collect my non burnable garbage i just turn it inside out so the clean side is outside and you can stuff it in the bag even.
>>
>>622183
wtf is this desu shit? i said t b h
>>
>>622183
I just use nylon rope and pack it out with me when I'm done.

There is no need to burn your rope.
>>
>>622186
no need to keep it either, twine is like a dollar a spool. it's a consumable for me like water. i could collect my piss and filter it and make it potable again but i just let it go.
>>
>>621028
Do you?
>>
>>622189
That's a pretty stupid comparison, desu.
>>
File: 73477933.jpg (143 KB, 493x740) Image search: [Google]
73477933.jpg
143 KB, 493x740
I use GMAN. Because its also made in Sweden desu.
>>
>>622213
>GMAN
pretty gud. I use them too. +1 for europe

https://youtu.be/rIYWoz-u6FM
>>
>>622048
Mah nigga.
Silky is the only way to go.

My sugowaza is freaking disgusting. I've cut more wood with it than most of /out/ will in their lifetimes.
>>
File: 20151101_171022.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151101_171022.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I use a felco saw and a glock fm 78 outdoors. (Yeah i know no fulltang mi mi mi). Never failed doing its job.

Don't like moras but use them for sailing , if the mora goes overboard i dont cry a single tear and order a new one on AMAZON. Used the fiskars knife once it was too shitty

i've got fiskars axes and use them for lumbering.

Allways giggle when someone call his tactical 30kg bag with 5 blades and 8 magazines extra ammo "edc".
>>
So is it the thread where anons from a dozens of different biomes talk as if their tiny slice of land is the world and then go out of their way to look as retarded as possible before devolving into 'You don't even go /out/ of your basement!'
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.