[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my dad introduced me to fly fishing and I'm hooked, planning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Fenwick_Rod.jpg (115 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Fenwick_Rod.jpg
115 KB, 800x600
So my dad introduced me to fly fishing and I'm hooked, planning on getting a good rod, I've been told Fenwick is one of the best. Advice?
>>
>>620753
Reddington. Good rods at reasonable prices. What kinda fishing will you be doing? Dry fly? Nymphing? Using big streamers? This will determine what WT rod you need. A good all around setup is a 9 ft 6wt with a weight foward floating flyline.
>>
>>620758
I'm actually pretty new to it so I'm not familiar with the terminology yet, the fly I have been using is small with hairs, and is meant to sink, have only caught salmon with it.
>>
>>620753
Dry flying is best flying
>>
>>620769
Which species do you catch the most of with dry fly?
>>
>>620769
dry flying is for faggots

nymphing is for real men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dhKgm4dztg&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0mAOCyJ1k0
>>
>>620753
Fenwicks are nice for sure, but for beginners I'd say TFO is the best value.
>>
>>620753
>hooked
>>
>>620776
both are enjoyable, but nymphys and streamers are more productive IMO

If you're targeting trout go with a 4-5wt, if salmon or pike, go 8. An 8 is a bit overkill for fighting pike, but it will allow you to throw those huge streamers.

I've never done saltwater on the fly, so can't recommend anything there.

If you're spending much time on still water I'd recommend getting yourself a spare spool with intermediate sinking line.
>>
>>620753
Break the bank
--------------------------------
Sage
Mackenzie
Vision
Lamiglas
G Loomis

Middle of the road
------------------------------
St. Croix
Fenwick
Anything made by orvis goes here and below (but will also break the bank)

Good for starters (and light on the budget)
------------------------------
TFO
T. Allen Rods
Eagleclaw and Associated Brands
Crystal River
Silver Stream

>>620776
You're an idiot.
Fish all around or not at all. Niche fishing is for faggots.
>>
>>620811
>Fish all around or not at all. Niche fishing is for faggots.

I was joking.

It's fun to fish with any style!
>>
If your fishing salmon your gonna want an 8-9 weight rod

To be completely honest my 9 weight for this time of year is a poverty tier Cortland and its never done me wrong, in fact I'd say its a pleasure to use.

I think we often put too much thought into the rod and reel, especially for beginners,

What you really need is a good assortment of line, leader, tippet, and a wide variety of flies. You gotta try everything, see what works and what feels good. You can have the best rod on the planet and if your line is all wrong, your running dry flies with heavy sinking line your SOL and if your trying to get those nymphs deep deep into the feeding lane on super floating line your fucked.

and then theres different tapers, blah blah blah.

It takes a lot of trial and error, and a lot of advice asking from the crusty old dude at the fishing shop

If i was gonna suggest an all around generic beginner setup, go with some weight forward floating line, and for fishing a variety of stuff like nymphs, wets, and dries and a few streamers once in awhile, I would use a tapered knotless leader about as long as your rod (9' long) and add a short section (about 2 1/2') of tippet which is untapered monofilament

good luck!
>>
>>620824
I fish for PNW native winter steelhead every year on a 7. I'd say 8-9 is better suited for windy conditions and surf fishing, or snag packed rivers, and pike/muskie. Honestly in the end, it's what balances well with your rod, fits well on your reel, and feels good in your cast.
>>
>>620819
Alright alright... sorry about that. Thought you were one of thooose.
>>
>>620856
I started heavy for landlocked salmon on the finger lakes, the wind out here can be incredible, but then i guess i just got used to the heavier stuff.

Though whatever, 90% of my fly fishing is tiny creek and gorge fishing with my tenkara setup, so i'm hapily inhabiting both extremes of the spectrum
>>
>>620882
Yeah. I change lines according to condition, comes from my background in spey.
Haven't tried tenkara, I know it's been around, and heard it talked about but haven't given it a shot or any research yet. Where's the best place to start?
>>
>>620791
I second Temple Fork Outfitters rods for the beginner. Even as you get better they are still a decent all around rod.

I have a fenwick 8 weight 2 piece and temple fork 5 weight 4 piece and 6 weight 2 piece. Usually use the 5 for steam fishing as it is easy to transport and casts shorter better. The 8 is for lakes generally and the 6 for kind of all around.

get something with a hook holder already on it. generally a stiff rod seems to cast further whereas a softer rod helps you position the fly better from my experiences. Get a reel that turns smoothly. It should wind smooth. If it has an unevenness in the unreel you can lose fish because of it. My Pfleuger fly reel does that on my 8 weight rod. I got this Streamside reel for my 5 weight rod with a much smoother drag and so now I've actually caught more large (25-30in) bull trout on the lighter rod because the line didn't snap. One last thing is buy all tippet in fluorocarbon. It doesn't degrade by sunlight light mono does. If you're cheap buy mono leaders and replace the last few feet of line with fluoro. If you just use mono a lot, eventually one day you'll find the line always breaks when you hook a fish. When it's new the problem isn't there. It's with old mono that's the problem.
>>
>>620922
not the person you're replying to but youtube videos are good. There's tenkara USA making the gear for westerners but from what I understand the japanese stuff from manufacturers like daiwa is a lot better.
>>
>>620955
Thanks, I'll check out what Daiwa has to offer. I usually steer clear of their cheaper stuff, but have never had an issue with their higher-end gear.
>>
File: IMG_20151024_114800643.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151024_114800643.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
>>620922
I watched a lot of youtube videos and got really into the idea, but the rods are so damn expensive, and I thought to myself "if this is really a popular japanese sport they must have poverty tier gear over there"

I went looking and I was right. I've bought a lot of rods from Japan and my standby is "docooler 3.6m / 11.8ft Carbon Fiber Portable Telescopic Fishing Rod Ultralight Mini Pole Travel Fishing Tackle"

look that shit up on amazon. 15 dollar telescopic carbon rod and I hammer creeks with it all year round.

This is my latest from last weekend, a ~18 inch Fallfish on a tungsten bead egg sucking leech
>>
>>620753
Im a orvis faggot all the way. A #2 full flex is a lot of fun in small streams and ponds.
I would also recomend Arcticsilver rods if your going salmon fishing.
These are both expensive brands, but you can make good deals on ebay.
>>
>>620954
>bull trout
Alberta?
>>
I don't know if this is something for you, but the "chief" of my fishing club has this sweet bamboo rod that he made himself, its about 30 years old and still in excellent condition.
>>
>>620824
I agree-- just to add....
When you realize that the rod is preventing you from casting how you think you should be able to, then it's time to shop and try a few out. Until then you will be fine. Most fish you catch will be within 30 feet anyway.
>>
>>620753
Pic related is my Redington Pursuit (it looks so young in this pic), now known as the Redington Path. At about $100, this rod is hands down the best value in fly fishing. It's been a great rod for me for about 4 years, and I'd call it a bargain at twice the price. If you are looking for a heavier rod for salmon, steelhead, bass etc I'd highly recommend it. I can't speak on the presentation and delicacy of the lighter models.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.