[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Venison chili recipe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 20151017_205031.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151017_205031.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hey guys I posted this on /ck/ with no success. I've got about 5lb of hind quarters from young does that I'm cunning for chili. Looking for recipes that do not involve noodles or corn and are mild (or can be adjusted) on the heat scale.

Picture unrelated.
>>
File: gordongif2.gif (628 KB, 340x187) Image search: [Google]
gordongif2.gif
628 KB, 340x187
>>620404

You want to ask over in /ck/, the kids here only know how to make instant ramen...
>>
>>620444
Nice trips. I already posted in /ck/ and this is how it's turning out >>7019857

We had a decent venison thread, but since /out/ is so slow and this is specific to chili I made a new one.
>>
>>620404
I've never used a recipe for chili in my life, just put the stuff you like in a pot (and leave out the stuff you don't) and cook it and season to taste. Then again I've never cooked venison so maybe it does need extra fat like the guy said.
>>
>>620490
I know that wasn't helpful but my imminent afternoon appointment was cancelled so I'm not in a hurry anymore.

Cooking the venison in bacon fat might fat it up for flavor but I really don't know how to cook venison, just how to eat it.

If I'm using fresh tomatoes I dice them, if canned I get whole tomatoes and mash them up in the can with a potato masher before adding them (pour the liquid into the pot first so you don't make a mess). Fresh is best, canned can be good but needs to simmer a while to cook out the can taste.
Black beans and red beans.
Chopped carrots, celery, onion, bell peppers
For seasoning I like cumin seeds and chili powder, add a bit, stir it up, and taste it and if it needs more add more. Same goes for the hot pepper. Chipotle in moderation gives it a nice smoky taste (just add the adobo sauce but not the peppers if you don't want it too spicy).

I like to add a starch source so I don't need it on the side, I like corn but also use potatoes. I par-cook the potatoes in the microwave first because some kinds (like Yukon Gold) take forever to soften up in the chili, I think because they don't get hot enough.
>>
>>620404
Alrighty then.
Fat- quarter pound of bacon per pound of venison, or use a quarter cup of olive oil per pound for a milder start.

Tomatoes- fresh are best, canned will work. About 3/4 cup of diced fresh or 1 can per pound of venison.

Beans- per pound of venison, add 1 can of black beans, 1 can of kidney beans, and 1 can of pintos or garbanzos (whichever appeals most). Rinse and drain beans before adding.

Veggies- one medium onion, chopped. One or more cloves of garlic. These are both per pound of venison.

Seasoning/flavorings- cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper. Either 1 teaspoon of instant coffee OR 1 square of unsweetened bakers chocolate per batch. Chipotle if you want.

Start by sauteeing the onion and garlic in the oil. If you're doing bacon, start by dicing it and cooking it crisp, then sauteeing the garlic/onion. Next, add the meat and brown it. Salt/pepper can be added at this stage.

Next, reduce heat and add 1 can of chicken, beef, or veggie broth per pound of venison. If you make your own stock, 1-3/4 cups = 1 can. Let this simmer for a bit. Then add tomatoes and beans, and a sprinkle of paprika for color/flavor. Simmer some more. Add the coffee or chocolate, make sure you really stir it in. Simmer some more.

At this point, you start adding cumin, chili powder, cayenne, chipotle, or habaneros as you see fit. Taste it before adding anything to get an idea of where you're at. Cumin and chili powder add flavor without heat, chipotle gives good smoky flavor with mild heat, cayenne needs to be used sparingly. If you do habanero, use only 1 and dice it tiny.

A couple of bell peppers can go in at either the onion or bean stage if you're so inclined.

Serve with either cornbread or French bread.
>>
>>620568
I like this one the best so far
>>
>>620404
did you already turn it into burger?

if not cube it, can it (jars) with chopped chilis and tomatoes. shelve it for two weeks. then either make it into burger or not it doesn't matter. stir whole jar (including the water) into pot with beans and season as usual.
>>
>>621121
I cubed it, used that recipe as a guideline. Have onions, peppers and tomatoes, seasonings simmering on the stove until morning. I'll add beans at that point. Gotta cook the toughness out of it at this point
>>
>>620404
10/10 doge
>>
>>621481
Indeed. I'm disappointed the doge went unchecked for so long.
>>
>>621493
Thread topic + OP pic = chili dog.

But seriously, a good chili recipe will have an amazing impact on your social life. I invited the divorcee neighbor lady over for a bowl of chili, she stayed for breakfast. I just asked her if she wanted to come over for some chili and maybe watch a movie.
>>
>>620404
Cover it in raw rice, then beat the rice into the meat with a tenderizer. Then proceed to boil it for 30 minutes. Enjoy with ketchup and a beer.
You're welcome
>>
>>621756
>Thread topic + OP pic = chili dog.
OP here, lol.

I started with 1 lb bacon cut into little squares. Let that get going while I cut up 3 onions and added those. After that I added 6 sweet peppers. While I let all of that cook I cubed about 5 lbs of venison hind quarters. Fed the trimmings/scraps to the dog while I cut. Added venison, got that somewhat browned. Added 2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes(drained), paprika, some chili powder and cumin. Put the lid on slightly crooked and turned it down to a simmer and went to bed(~12am). My wife stirred it at some point and then I got up at 4 to check on it. Next time I'll do it over the course of a day because it definitely needed a couple stirs, but it didn't do much. Added beans (3 cans pinto, red kidney, 1 can black), and about a cup of cold water because I simmered it a bit too far and left it on the same heat. At this point also added more cumin, chili powder, some black pepper and a Tbsp of molassas. I didn't add any salt because I figure it got plenty from the beans. Went hunting and got back at 1030. Finished seasoning with cumin and chili powder to wife's tastes and put the stove on the lowest setting to hold it all day.

I didn't take any pictures of the pot, but it is very thick, made almost 3 gallons and the meat is falling apart. When you eat it some cubes are a little dry (the ones that were on the bottom at night) but other than that it's awesome with a few drops of hot sauce.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.