[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rain Jackets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (69 KB, 731x731) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
69 KB, 731x731
I thought this place might be better than /fa/ but what are some good rain jackets and what should I look for when buying one? Any specific brand, or material? It's been raining a bit in England lately so I would like your suggestions.
>>
What type of use will it get?
>>
>>620378
Just walking to places. I don't do any adventurous stuff,
>>
>>620381
Then get whatever, /fa/ will probably give you better advice. Goretex and similar breathable fabrics are good, but the only reason to pay for them is if you will be exercising in them.

I'd recommend something similar to the Marmot Precip which is just light fabric with a polyurethane coating on the inside. Absolutely waterproof and fairly cheap.
>>
>>620385
Precip is not just a PU coating, it's
A goddamn breathable membrane.

But it is a good value jacket. It's kind of like the Mora of jackets, in a good way.
>>
>>620388
>Precip is not just a PU coating, it's a goddamn breathable membrane.

Source? I am fairly certain it is just PU coating despite Marmot's best efforts to market it as something more.
>>
>>620390
It seems that the coating is made from PU, but it's not as simple as just splashing some on and calling it a day. It's a proper 2.5 layer breathable fabric which is quite different to your standard PU raincoat (which will drown you in sweat if you even think about moving at a brisk pace).

So you're kinds right.
>>
>>620372
If it's just for walking in British weather, get something like the North Face Venture jacket. It's light (150g), packs super small and is completely waterproof & windbreaking for standard british weather. You can get the for $90-ish on discounts.
>>
Look at snowboarding jackets that are on sale.

I got a Bonfire jacket rrp £190 for £80 recently and its awesome.

>15,000mm hydro head
>Internal routing for headphones & conductive inner pocket for touchscreens
>3 billion pockets
>fleece lined main pockets for hand warming
>zippered vents
>storm hood
>Press studs so you can attach pants to it to make it a full suit
etc
>>
>>620433
They better have all those features for the price they charge. Still don't see point.
>>
Any recommendations for a more active rain/wind proof jacket/shell?
>>
>>620556
What do you need it for?
>>
>>620399
>>620390

The Precip has PU mico-perf membrane that functions similarly to PTFE membrane (Gore-Tex, eVent). It's a bit less breathable (but moreso than a standard PU coated rain jacket), but less expensive to manufacture.
>>
>>620372

There is really no reason nowadays not to get something in GoreTex or a similar breathable-waterproof material.

Nothing ruins a good time like getting wet.
>>
http://www.swanndri.co.nz/

Swanndri is known to be pretty damn reliable.
>>
I got a pretty great goretex army jacket from a local surplus store for 30 bucks. So maybe keep an eye out there.
only problem is its camo pattern, I sometimes feel like a crazy person wearing it in public. Sweet as hell for hiking though.
>>
>>621636
That is really cheap, do you know what type of layer construction it uses? Is it using goretex from the 70's?
>>
>>620729
Absurd prices are reason enough for me.

>>620372
Get an umbrella.
>>
>>621636
austrian army goretex jackets are great.
also they are not camo
here is a review http://survivall.blogspot.ro/2015/07/austrian-army-goretex-jacket-review.html
>>
File: craghoppers goretex jackete.jpg (83 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
craghoppers goretex jackete.jpg
83 KB, 1280x1280
>>621657
>Absurd prices are reason enough for me.

Goretex jackets can be had for under $100 but then some of us ain't broke ass teenagers.

I can't imagine living in the rainy UK not having a Goretex jacket.
>>
File: Theta AR.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Theta AR.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>620372
>specific brand
Dead bird masterrace
>>
my go to rainjacket is a 100 dollar number from rei. it is a 2.5 layer jacket that can be used pretty much all the time except for the hottest months of the summer when i take an umbrella. it is super lightweight.

i live in a warm climate though. i have some goretex shells from my army days that i would use if i was in colder weather. goretex is probably a better material than these plastic sheets that get sold as 2.5 layers. but either way you are going to be hot in the summer so i use the cheaper one.
>>
>>621859
i have money but i am not going to waste 500 dollarydoos on a rain jacket.

if i talked to my parents that would be the kind of thing i would ask for at christmas. even though i know my other two siblings get the maxable allowed tax free gift every christmas.
>>
>>621873
I only make 80 dollars an hour and I am willing to buy dead bird products. Maybe you just need to make more money.
>>
>>621875
well i do not quite yet make 80 an hour, but i am close. but even if i made 100 an hour i was still raised by a mom that took me back to school shopping at walmart. i know value, and actryx is not that. they do look great though, and they are the best looking goretex you can buy. i would accept one as a gift no doubt, but i wouldn't buy it myself.
>>
Marmot pre-clip setup worked wonders for me in my last job over the summer. I kept the jacket in my backpack when I worked or lead trips, and brought the pants as well if I knew there was a chance of rain ahead of time. It wetted out a few months in after heavy use/staying scrunched up in my bag frequently, but I just techwashed it and it works fine now.

Memeteryx isn't worth the premium.
>>
>>621621
>swanndri is known to be outsourced overpriced shit riding on reputation
FTFY

They're not even that waterproof, I own an old and a new one. Heavy and usually too warm.
>>
I am looking for a very light rain jacket at the moment, and am considering the Patagonia Houdini. Can anyone here comment on the quality? Or reccomend some other jacket that will keep rain at bay and fold down really small.
>>
>>621875
Arcteryx is literally the apple of outdoors products.

yeah, you paid $500 for a $150 rain jacket with a cool logo. i am disappoint
>>
>>622617
I just bought this one for fifty bucks on clearance from seirra trading post dot com. Nice light rain jacket, lifetime warranty.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-finde-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~7516c/
>>
>>622656
I also got some icebreaker merino wool base layer leggings for 16 dollars, but those are probably sold out now. i go to stp.com erry day llooking to see if there's any good /out gear to score on clearance. if you're patient you can get some nice top tier kit for chceap.
>>
>>622665
>stp.com
>Manufacturers of gas treatments, fuel cleaners, octane boosters and other gasoline additives.
>>
>>622656
Thanks for the suggestion, but that site doesn't seem to ship to my country. I will take a look around and see if I can find the same model elsewhere though.
>>
>>622617
I own that, it's a nice windbreaker but not waterproof. Perhaps the Alpine Houdini would be better, but neither is meant for being out in the rain for any extended period of time.
>>
>>621857
>but then some of us ain't broke ass teenagers
Come the fuck on. Even grown people have better shit to spend their money on.
>>
I live and work in the rain, all summer long and because of this have a $1000+ rain suit. Head to toe gore. With that said, I wear this stuff for work because A) 14 hours in the rain when you have to be there sucks B) it is a sales tool for my employer ("how the fuck can you stand out here and not be soaked?" "guess i'm buying that stuff") C) I get PUD, so I pay pennies on the dollar. D) Its a warm environment for much of the year and most shit is to heavy weight to be comfortable. Gore gear is much more breathable at lighter weights.

I do do not wear my Gore gear once the temp drops below 50 degrees for anything but work. The DWR on my softshell that I use for a ski jacket (it doesnt rip in thickets) keeps me bone dry, even in heavy fall precipitation and it is more versatile. If the fabric stops wicking or the DWR goes to shit I just Nikwax it and go.

The only True benefit I can send a customer to gore for is the life time warranty. If you wear gear in a tough environment IT WILL FAIL. With Goretex, your going to get a new garment.

tl:dr : Gore is an investment, but all waterproofing fails eventually. You are sitting at a computer posting on /out/ instead of being outside so lets be honest, you don't actually need it.
>>
File: scotchgard.jpg (11 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
scotchgard.jpg
11 KB, 400x400
it's like you guys don't use scotchgard on your packs and such
>>
>>623099
No I don't.
I use a plastic pack liner courtesy of the New Zealand Mountain Safety Council, and dry bag my sleeping bag and clothing for good measure.

Scotch guard doesn't do much when you snag your pack on a tree or rock and cut the fabric.
>>
Applicable as fuck thread for me, today. It's wet as hell outside but it's pretty warm: none of my jackets are suitable.
>>
>>620381
Check around the various outdoor gear sites for sales. The rain jackets from brands like Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia and Marmot will work just fine for your needs.
>>
I'm looking at paramo stuff. The idea is sound and gets solid reviews. And I like that it's an innovative approach.
>>
>>621875
A more important question is how you make this kind of money. Bery impressive.
>>
>>623108
>NZ

Do you wear shorts and gaiters everywhere?
>>
>>624794
Y-yes
Feels good desu
>>
>>624785
Making custom guns.
>>
>>624800
Teach me your ways. Are Canterbury of NZ nylon Rugby shorts and Outdoor Research Croc' gaiters a good choice for kiwi ranging?
>>
>>624814
Canterbury shorts are good, so are Cactus shorts. Any tough polyester shorts are suitable, because you've basically said "my legs will get wet, they may as well dry out fast too".

Those Croc gaiters look Damn nice, too expensive for me using op shop fleece, clearance hardshell, second hand pack and milsurp goretex gaiters though.

>my boots were $375 on sale
>comfy as fuck
>>
>>624830
Hiking.com.au (I think) as the gaiters on sale for $63 or similar.
>>
>>624830
What kind of boots?
>>
>>624858
Asolo 535s. Best fit for my foot I could find.
>>
>>624865
Wide foot? Might be worth me trying those on. I think I've got a foot that's wide than D but not quite wide enough for EE.
>>
File: Carhartt Grayling jacket.jpg (216 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Carhartt Grayling jacket.jpg
216 KB, 1000x1000
>>623039
> Even grown people have better shit to spend their money on.

Nonsense, a Goretex jacket is a fundamental piece of gear for anyone who spends even a bit of time /out/.
>>
>>620372
Waterproof fabrics are rated for how much water pressure they can resist for 24 hours before they let moisture through.

A 10,000mm rating should be enough for wearing for at least a couple hours in steady rain. Most companies produce membrane materials that can perform at this level. Some companies (incl. Gore-Tex are now making things rated to 20,000mm or higher which should be fine for a full day of exposure).

Jackets that have a membrane layer are generally more durable than jackets with a laminate, since there is no problem with the laminate peeling over time. Laminates suffer more from things like packing/folding/scrunching as well as ultraviolet light.

Seams should be taped to prevent leaks.

Zippers should have flaps covering them, or they should at least be "watertight" zippers that (mostly) seal with snug rubber.

Breathability should be tailored to intended use and temperatures.

If you aren't looking for "technical" fabrics and just want something bombproof, consider industrial fishing gear.
>>
Piggybacking on your thread, military surplus for a good hiking jacket that will stand up to water.

Good idea or is /k/ just fucking with me?
>>
>>625237
The problem is that you have no idea how it was looked after. Milsurp goretex or equivalent is cheap and it works but only buy very good or better condition, and compare to local sales to make sure it is significantly cheaper than commercial gear. Sizing can be awkward too, do your research on that first before you go "I'll be a medium!", surplus sizing often runs big or just wierd.

The Austrian OD, German Flecktarn, British DPM and U.S. Woodland goretex sets are all good if you can get them in good condition and cheap.
>>
File: G.I. M65 field jacket.jpg (134 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
G.I. M65 field jacket.jpg
134 KB, 1024x768
>>625237
>military surplus for a good hiking jacket that will stand up to water.

There is "water PROOF" and then there is "water RESISTANT".

Goretex or similar materials (or an oldy timey rubberized rain coat) are water proof and you will not get wet.

While milsurp jackets are pretty sturdy, they are usually just water resistant (as are most commercial /out/ jackets) and even if you blast it with ScotchGuard, you'll eventually get wet in a steady rain or heavy downpour.

If you expect to be outdoors with no shelter and might get caught in the rain, you really ought to have a Goretex or similar waterPROOF and breathable jacket/coat.
>>
>>625249
You can get the German flecktarn on Sportman's Guide and it has a lot of good reviews: but also one guy butthurt that his came with patched holes.
(Also fat Americans complaining about the sizes, lel.)
>>
>>625252
>not wearing a Gorka-R
>>
>>625277
Gorka is not waterproof. It's a glorified windbreaker.

>select all images with eggs
Dank /out/ memes
>>
>>625252
Even "water PROOF" materials will wet out eventually and you will get wet.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (146 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
146 KB, 1080x1080
Anyone here own a German navy Bordparka?

Goretex and the sellers claim it's water proof.
>>
>>620372
>rain jackets
>England

Barbour. C'mon now.
>>
File: vintage7.jpg (486 KB, 2351x3096) Image search: [Google]
vintage7.jpg
486 KB, 2351x3096
>>625417
I'm also curious about the RAF foul weather jacket, they're pretty cheap on ebay
>>
>>625620
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
This and a merino pretty much does for me:

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=BER0460BB

Not breaking the bank either
>>
>>625252
nothing is water proof.
>>
goretex is pretty good stuff. but it is the outer layer. i would never buy a gore tex insulated jacket.

you need a rain proof outer layer. gore tex is greate but it weighs alot. then you need an inner layer like a soft shell or a wool sweater, or those fuzzy little vests sold as fleece.

look. you can get an outer layer that is a 2.5 for 100 bucks. and it will last you for years.

the same goretex protection will cost you twice as much. and neither will breathe or be totally waterproof. in my opinion, get a good cheap outer shell. then get a good soft shell.
>>
File: lawyer.jpg (64 KB, 240x166) Image search: [Google]
lawyer.jpg
64 KB, 240x166
>>625351
> Even "water PROOF" materials will wet out eventually and you will get wet.
>>626097
> nothing is water proof.

Sure, but I'm talking about the legal marketing terms manufacturers are allowed to use on their clothing.

Goretex, 4MostDry, rubberised = waterproof - you can sit in the pouring rain all day and not get wet

Run-of-the-mill nylon jacket = water resistant - good enough for dashing from your car to the grocery store in a light shower.
>>
>>626108

>gore tex is greate but it weighs alot

Really ?

I have a GTX Pro shell and it weighs fuck all
>>
File: Mountain Equipment Lhotse.jpg (65 KB, 925x925) Image search: [Google]
Mountain Equipment Lhotse.jpg
65 KB, 925x925
This little video series is pretty useful/informative. Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sna5nGGzSDY&ab_channel=gooutdoorstv

The guy presenting founded a chain of big /out/ stores in the UK.

These videos made me want a Paramo, Gore Tex Pro or eVent jacket. In the end I went with a ME Lhotse (pic related) because I've tried loads on and this one feels pretty amazing. It gets fucking great reviews and I managed to find one that had been worn once for a few hours on ebay so got it fairly cheap.
>>
>>627843
ProLite Gear also has a bunch of good videos on different fabrics/jackets as well if you want to complicate things.
>>
>>627873
Agreed. Their videos are wicked for more detail. I think the ones I posted are better just for a general overview.
>>
File: Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg (49 KB, 420x350) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg
49 KB, 420x350
As OP is in the UK, he might be out of luck but I just ordered the Grand Teton parka and the zip-in Grand Teton liner jacket from Cabela's on sale for $110;

Cabela's Men's Grand Teton Parka with 4MOST DRY-PLUS & PrimaLoft = $70

Zip-in compatible Cabela's Grand Teton Parka
Waterproof and breathable two-layer Dry-Plus laminate
Premium, 40-gram PrimaLoft Silver Insulation
Stretch panels across back and elbows optimize movement
Customize your cold-weather activewear with Cabela's Men's Grand Teton system. Choose the compatible liner (not included) most suitable to your needs and finish it off with a waterproof and breathable Grand Teton Dry-Plus Parka. Premium, 40-gram PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation delivers immediate warmth without bulk and works with the two-layer Dry-Plus laminate to keep you dry. 87/13 polyester/spandex stretch panels across the back and elbows optimize movement. 100% nylon dobby main shell. Zippered underarm ventilation allows increased airflow. Chest and waist zippered pockets with water-repellent zippers. Concealed sleeve pocket. Adjustable hood, sweep and cuffs. Drop tail hem. Imported.
Sizes: M-3XL.
Colors: Black, Timberwolf Grey, Glacier Blue, Redwood.
>>
File: Cabelas Grand Teton Jacket.jpg (40 KB, 420x327) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Grand Teton Jacket.jpg
40 KB, 420x327
>>628532

Never having owned one, how do coats with zip-in liners work? I'm guessing the outer parka has two zippers, an outer one to close the parka and two halves of an inner zipper, that each side of the liner jacket zips into, which suggest any liner can be zipped in, including my non-Cabelas fleece jacket and vest, right?

Cabela's Men's Grand Teton Jacket with PrimaLoft = $40

Zip-in compatible with Grand Teton Parka
100-gram PrimaLoft Black Insulation Eco
Nylon ripstop with durable water-repellent finish
Alone or zipped into the Grand Teton Parka, Cabela's Grand Teton Jacket boasts 100-gram PrimaLoft Black Insulation Eco for extreme warmth without adding bulk. Lightweight nylon ripstop shell with a durable water-repellent finish sheds moisture. Zippered hand pockets and an interior zippered security pocket. Bonded interior stormflap with zipper garage. Adjustable sweep. Imported.
Sizes: M-3XL.
Colors: Black, Shale, Redwood, Timberwolf Grey.
>>
Some good stuff here.

http://www.walls.com/

I bought a couple of jackets over the years from them, breddy good quality.
>>
>>621904
>swanndri is known to be outsourced overpriced shit riding on reputation
Well, their pants look pretty nice...
>>
>>625790
>I'm poor so I'll call you gay since I don't like your coat.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.