[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
Questions that don't deserve their own thread
>Is a tomahawk useful when /out/ or are they pretty much just fedora axes?
Also, what's a good tomahawk to carry on the woods?
>>
>>619645
A tomahawk is no more useful than a regular hatchet when /out/.
>>
>>619651
Unless your collecting scalps
>>
>>619656
Scalping wasn't usually done with tomahawks, it was done with knives. Tomahawks were for throwing and hand-to-hand combat.

Also, if it's sharp enough a regular hatchet will scalp just as well as a tomahawk.
>>
Tomahawk aka tactical axe
>>
What are the most valuable pieces of lumber in your area? What kind of wood do you like to work with? How can I phrase this so it doesn't sound like I'm talking about boner?
Not only species. Do you prefer standing dead wood or fallen? Tell me all things wood.
>>
>>619673
These shitty birch trees in my area are the most valuable type because they get massed chopped for paper mills and then replaced on a 10 year cycle.

If you want to know wood get a tree identification book and start learnin'
>>
File: IMG_20151026_075550.jpg (991 KB, 1836x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151026_075550.jpg
991 KB, 1836x1836
>>619673

Found about 4-5 sections of 4M lomg Walnut in the bottom of one of our firewood stacks at work.

Slabbed a piece with a saw and set it aside. I know a guy who makes gun furniture who'll probably take some of it for a few grand.

Unfortunately the it had been felled regularly so the root cut wasn't made as low down as I'd have like plus it was slightly denatured. Usually if a Walnut is coming down they dig out around the base of it because that's where some of the best timber for working with is in terms of grain and funky patterns.

Personally though I like Ash, I make all my tool handles from it. Pic related.
>>
Can't decide between SOG Seal Pup [Elite] and SOG Jungle Canopy. What are your thoughts on those particular knives? How would a Seal Pup fare in batoning?

Seal Pup or Seal Pup Elite?
>>
Would milsurp boots be okay for /out/ stuff?
>>
Our King has put up a new video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miLIIawyxLg
>>
>>619752

If they fit you well and they're fairly sensible then yeah they're probably fine. The only consideration may likley be weight but that's less of a factor if you're looking at most of the newer boots from the likes of Britain, the USA and Germany.
>>
>>619749

The Elite seems to have better sheath options I'd go with it. To answer your question though it's an AUS8 blade which is fairly thin and light with quite a hard heat treat so just keep that in mind if you're going to be batoning a whole lot. It's not the longest thing in the world either and with a fine tip on it qhwhicwill limit the size of stuff you can process with it but that's actually quite a good saftey measure to ensure you don't get carried away and break it. If it's just now and then though it'll almost certainly be fine as long as you don't go crazy. It'll serve you well for other camp purposes too and if nothing else it looks pretty cool too.

Good choice but if you want to baton big nasty stuff all the time you could pick something better.
>>
>>619755
fuck this guy
>>
>>619755
thats not Mors Kochanski
>>
Anyone have a good idea for an /out/ related Halloween costume?
>>
>>619947
Get a bear costume and a cardboard picnic table.
>>
>>619947
Guille suit, plague Dr mask, can of pringles.
>>
>>619947

Get a load of sections of foam insulation board and use and sculpt them into the shape of flat rocks, texture them with filler or something and wire them together with a hollow space inside. Paint them up and use suspenders to hold them off the ground a bit and there you go.

You are now a cairn.
>>
Are there undiscovered memes in the wild?
>>
>>619758
Hey man thanks for your reply. Would a CS Recon Tanto or an SRK be a better option?
>>
>>620058
Kekels
>>
Good places in Australia, Victoria to camp. The secluded the better. Hall's gap is alright
>>
Okay, i just bought a pack.

The weight limit is 15.5lbs on it and it's a small 10L pack from Klymit. I want to know if i can exceed the weight limit by a couple of pounds, i want to fit a couple of more things into it but i don't want to damage the pack.

How do manufacturers measure load rating, does that include things that you attach externally, and is there a bit of wiggle room?
>>
>>619657
>throw my weapon away during combat

I never understood this. Same can be said for warriors that throw spears. What do you do after you throw your spear once and you miss?
>>
>>619755
Maybe the most pointless video I've ever watched.
>>
>>619752
Yes
I were 90s us army surp
MAKE SURE THEY FIT BOOTS ARE WORTHLESS IF THEY DONT FIT PERFECTLY
>>
>>620289
Not him but I would go with Tanto
>>
>>619947
Geocache hunter
>>
>>619645

so my dad got me a $100 gift card to walmart and i kinda wanna use it on /out/ stuff because currently the only things i have are a sleeping bag and a kukri.

so i was thinking of getting a cheap tent for the time being since ive never gone camping on my own before and i dont wanna dive in spending hundreds of dollars if it ends up being a hobby i dont really pursuit. anyway, heres some cheap tents from walmart should i get one?
>>
>>620516
bottom row second from right, top row first from left, or top row second from left.
>>
Hatchets, knives, axes etc are all fedora items unless you are actually using them for something which most of you people are not given that every picture on here shows brand new stuff with the tags still attached
>>
>>620550

Come at me faggot.

>>620516

I'd have gone with top right but honestly i'd want to see the specs and have a look at them before committing.

>>620289

I would have though SRK based on blade shape but the RT seems surprisingly popular. They certainly give you more of a size advantage for batoning if that's your thing.
>>
>>620456
Anyone please?
>>
>>620693
Usually it is a comfort rating, not the weight where the backpack begins to fail.
>>
>>620693
You can usually exceed the weight limit, but it's like asking how deep a submarine can go, you don't know until it's too late. An extra pound or two won't really make much difference, worse case scenario is one of the straps snapping or a seam giving but neither of these will write off the bag.
>>
>>620694
>>620695
Thanks guys!
>>
File: IMG_20151030_113616~2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151030_113616~2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Bit of a newfag here, fell for the meme and just got myself a Mora Companion HD Carbon Steel knife. Being carbon steel, I know that it can rust. What should I be doing to regularly maintain my knife? Do I use alcohol to clean and what oil should I use? Thanks
>>
I can put one patch on my EDC backpack never had a patch before what one should I get?
>>
>>620789
mineral oil
>>
>>620797
Cairn kicker
>>
1) If you could gift someone one book that would teach a newfag enough survival skills/strategies to survive 72 hours in the wild, what book would that be?

2) You have an average sized North Face backpack. You are going on a 72 hour wilderness hike. What items do you put in this backpack?
>>
>>620881
>1) If you could gift someone one book that would teach a newfag enough survival skills/strategies to survive 72 hours in the wild, what book would that be?

Either a field identification guide on local fauna or flora.
Everyone wants to get the xtreme bushcraft sas green beret survival guide, but knowledge of your local terrain is much more useful
>>
Hammocks, are they good for sleeping or are they bad for posture?
>>
What does /out/ thinks about Lars Monsen?
>>
>>620438
>Good places in Australia, Victoria to camp. The secluded the better.

I second this, I'd like to expand beyond camp grounds overrun by families of 7
>>
>>621035
Who the fuck is Lars Monsen?
>>
File: clNRVyq.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
clNRVyq.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>619732
Finnish gas mask bag AND CS shovel? This man is after my heart
>>
>>622165
Exactly this.
>>
>>620516
Don't buy Ozark, the bushnell roamer series might be good though
>>
>>622200
I would try using this very cool website called google.com. I have heard it is very usefull for finding out about something or somebody on internet. And it is alsoalso very easy to use, so I would recommend it :)

www.google.com
>>
How often should I wash wool socks and base layers?
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 1920x1080
LEATHERMAN WAVE QUESTION!

I recently purchased the Leatherman Wave as a gift for a friend.

When the package was opened I noticed it was extremely difficult to pull out the bit. Now there is very little retention on the bit when in the holder...it looks like the retention spring is damaged or broken.

Anyone else have a problem with their Wave?
>>
>>623545
I haven't personally. But leatherman will replace it, no questions asked, from what I understand.
>>
>>620461
Don't miss
>>
>>620789
Like other person said, mineral oil, if you'll use it for anything food related this is a good choice.

If it won't be used on anything edible, you can use a gun oil.
>>
>>623493

Like when you're on a trip in a stream or something or just in general? They're designed to be either dude, I know such things are expensive and you won't been keen to wear them out but washing them regularly like any other piece of clothing is a must.

>>622198

<3

>>620995

They're fine. you kind of need to sleep on your side with them but using them regularly whilst /out/ shouldn't be any kind of a problem unless you're already some kind of cripple. The major debates about them tend to be caused by the participants assuming each other camp in the same situations and conditions as they do themselves. hammock away bro.
>>
>>620456
Klymit is a pretty good brand, it should take it. You may not be comfortable though.
>>
Camping on 20 items or less?

>mss
>1 man tent
>tarp
>cordage
>4 inch knife
>hatchet
>fallkniven stone
>mess kit w/ sporks
>steel canteen
>steel kettle
>muh wool blankie
>ferro rods
>pack of 12, homemade MREs

That's thirteen items not counting the pack I'd stuff it all into, and not counting two changes of clothes, my coat, and poncho. I want to eventually spend 14 days innawoods with as little kit as possible, the most I've comfortably hacked is 5 days. I suck at food gathering/fishing/hunting so the main thing holding back longer trips is poor food gathering techniques.

How to improve food gathering? There's fishy rivers near where I like to camp, but is that enough to live on?
>>
>>624040
I can't be too much help, but what I can say is:
Know what fish are running when you plan on camping. Bring appropriate bait/know where they may hide. If it's shallow enough (and legal), you can even try spear or hand fishing.

If you can, get someone who knows the area to show you some edible plants, and what to avoid. ( there are plenty of books, but may not be worth the risk of misidentification if alone )
Whatever you do gather, eat that before the rations. The gathered food will spoil before your packed rations.
>>
I had a miserable time going /out/ for multi days because I didn't bring enough, and brought the wrong kind of socks. I just brought basic cotton socks, and they got wet and nasty fast. What kind of socks should I get for out?
>>
>>625398
Wool socks, bring extra.

I've always brought cheap ones and they never fail
>>
File: 1441968959142.jpg (19 KB, 448x337) Image search: [Google]
1441968959142.jpg
19 KB, 448x337
>>620015
That reference is way too inside.... to be considered /out/
>>
File: Red_Key_on_Keyring.gif (701 KB, 1754x1348) Image search: [Google]
Red_Key_on_Keyring.gif
701 KB, 1754x1348
Any of yall have experience with tick keys? Do you recommend them?
>>
>>625398
You should be using two pairs of socks, a thin liner sock and a thick soft wool sock. This has the added benefit that you can use whatever kind of scratchy poverty sock you want for the outside one since it doesn't touch your skin.

This system reduces blisters cause the friction from movement goes between the socks and not into your skin, it's like a foreskin for yr foot.
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 768x576
Going try some winter camping this year and I want to make sure I've got the right supplies. I've had this sleep again for years and would love if I didn't have to buy a new one, but will it suffice?

Swiss Gear, St Gilgen, made for 0 degrees (lowest it will probably be is 20 degrees at night) and weighs 5.1 lbs.

Is there a better bag in terms of weight/material, or will this do?
>>
What's a high quality lantern for a good price?
>>
>>622165

One of the most entertaining genuine outdoors men ever? His across Canada expedition is fucking epic. (series on YouTube if you're not too much of a lazy autist)
>>
File: 22222222.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
22222222.png
2 MB, 1920x816
Say I go out into the bush and find a bunch of plastic garbage, I'm thinking mainly shotgun shells. Is it damaging to the environment / ecosystem if I was to burn all the shells away in a fire and collect whatever remains?

I haven't done this yet (ever). But I was thinking about this possibility as, where I go shooting people don't clean up after themselves, and I do not feel in good conscious just leaving all the shit behind.

Pic not related.
>>
>>619673
Lumber for building or fire? Building is going to be whatever is available, because you don't want to have to move it far, burning is whatever is available, because you don't want to have to move it far.

In a conifer area, you only want fallen branches. They're easy to break by hand, no tools necessary and anything you'd have to cut won't be dry enough to burn. Also, logs are for car campers. Ugh.
>>
>>619752
I still wear my winter issues, but for summer it's easier to hike in tennis shoes, something about moving the extra weight with each step makes your bag feel heavier.
>>
>>620516
I'd go with the tarp, hammock and blue foam mat, and you'll still have about $50 to spend. That's basically my setup, but I use a milspec poncho instead of a tarp.
>>
>>620550
Agreed. Anyone doing serious camping carries a single fixie and maybe a filet knife for fishing. You don't process wood unless you have months for it to dry.
>>
>>620797
EDC backpack? You wear that to the theater and shopping, do ya?
>>
>>620995
If you string them up tight or lay diagonally they're pretty comfy. Use an underquilt. I do mostly dispersed camping, and usually don't find flat, level, stone-free ground, so hammocks are a god-send to me.
>>
>>624040
It's not about the number of items, it's about weight and volume. But I've done a forty pound bag and brought the kitchen sink, and I've also done a ten pound bag where I only had sleeping gear, knife and lighter. That was an eighty mile bicycle ride though, so going light was imperative. It's far more important to bring knowledge that gear.
>>
What's a good resource to find BLM land I can just drive out to and camp out at? In Virginia right now and there's so much empty land in the mountains, just don't really know how to find places where it's safe to camp out.
>>
>>620461
Keep something as backup
>>
>>626030
or you could just recycle them

that way you arent polluting (even though buning a few plastic shells is negligable) but instead contributing
>>
>>628406
>>
>>625636
What the fuck? No. Just get the fuckers off of you.
I have pulled THOUSANDS off of me.
And had hundreds and hundreds of bites. Calm down. You're being really immature.
>>
Is getting a sleeping bag wet ever an issue?
Wanting to get into /out/ and the first question I'm running into is synthetic vs down sleeping bags. With a water-tight compression bag seems like down bag would be safe from rain/river crossing.
Is there a scenario I'm forgetting? Trying to camp through a hurricane?
>>
>>629700
It's a concern because there are other ways it could get wet, leaky tent etc so take no chance on that, use a pack cover and a trash bag inside your pack. Otherwise they pack so small and light they are great. You will save pounds of weight and thank me later
>>
>>619645
Tomahawks are superior to hatchets because the head is just friction fit. Which allows you to swap handles based on intended use, make a handle while out in the field, and dissemble for hand use of the head as well as more options for packing the tomahawk to your pack.
>>
>>625636
I have one but have never had to use it. The only ticks I have ever gotten on me were crawling around and not embedded in my skin. It takes up no space / extremely little weight might as well take one with you, I hate ticks and it gives me some piece of mind.
>>
>>626042
Are you fucking retarded ? I just went camping where there was sparse tree coverage, I am not going to bush whack a half mile up and down the side of a mountain to collect kindling as my single source of fuel for a week of camping when there is already big branches and trees 20 ft from the campfire....
>>
>>620550
While I don't leave the tags on I don't have a habit of throwing gear in the mud and breaking shit so it looks "used".
>>
How do I get my girlfriend to go /out/ with me and enjoy it? The most I've ever gotten her to do is a 1 mile walk around a lake, even them she was pouting the whole time. If I ask her to go up a hill with me or even just go car camping she will often start crying to avoid going. Is there any fixing this? I've tried easing her into these things, but nothing works, she just gets angry and mopes around or cries. Help.
>>
>>629739
From a psychologic perspective, finding the motivations and assumptions that produce the behavior may help.
>>
>>629739
Maybe stop dating an 8 year old?
>>
>>620461

They carried multiple weapons. Specially later on when they had rifles. So rifle, knife and a tomahawk.

If you really have a thing about losing your weapon. Attach a string to it...now you got a tomahawk of returning. Adds a +1 to intimidate too.
>>
>>629731

They are shit for processing wood. It's a tool designed to hack at flesh, not wood. So who cares if the handle is easily change able, when it sucks as a wood processing. Only fags and mall ninjas take that shit with them. Hell even my non out gf can easily notice this with 5 mins of using it.
>>
>>630213
It's 2015...we have the technology, you can get whatever head shape you want on tomahawk. The only faggot here is you.
>>
>>619645
Where should I buy knives in the UK? (websites etc)
>>
>>630713
Heinnie Haynes

Awesome service, searchable website and super fast postage.
>>
how much time do you spend /out/?
how do you post on 4chan?
>>
There was a website posted here which allowed you to create pack lists for trips etc (item weight, quantity etc.), I used it and can't for the life of me remember the URL, does any kind anon remember it at all
>>
>>631363

I found it, was LighterPack.com
>>
>>620789

consider using some vinegar to force a patina and then maintain with mineral oil applied whenever you use it a lot or in wet conditions.
>>
>>631361
I spend 1% of my time actually /out/. The other 99% is me browsing 4chan, fantasizing about actually going outside, work, school, and polishing my mora collection. I'm sure the same applies to most of this board.
>>
Need something to cook stuff in while /out/. Would prefer not to use aluminum because health hazards.

Stainless steel is too heavy for my taste. But titanium shit is fucking expensive. What do? Need a pot and a skillet, at least.
>>
>>622091
>>620438
Fucking this, senpai.

Sick of going to what you think is gonna be a comfy weekend by the creek only to find its full of young couples and their shitty kids.
>>
>>631766
Yeah that is pretty lame. On a related note does anyone know any good camping/hiking spots in south east queensland?
>>
>>629750
Fuck off you islamaphobic bigot.
>>
Anyone have experience with TarpTent Moment DW?
http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html
34oz + 7oz, $295 (retail)

Appears to be a relatively decent double walled tent at a lower than average weight; worried about how well it holds up and if its worth the price.
>>
Could a ski jacket double as a winter mountaineering one too ?
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>631771
excellent
>>
>>629739
see
>>629740
Some people just are not cut out for it, and trying to make her do it will only end up making her hate it more and hate you in the end, just find something else you can share with her and learn to enjoy your out time alone.

Either that or dump the bitch and get a new GF, the choice is yours.
>>
>>631764
>Stainless steel is too heavy for my taste.

well too fucking bad use it anyway. cookware is made out of like cast iron, stainless steel, copper, ceramic, carbon steel and titanium.
>>
>>631764
Just stay /in/ friend. God clearly didn't establish the universe, the laws of physical reality, and our lush home planet Earth with you in mind.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations for national forests in New Mexico?
>>
File: fucknwo.gif (16 KB, 590x300) Image search: [Google]
fucknwo.gif
16 KB, 590x300
can it be done indefinitely and can i bring a dog with me?
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.