[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outdoors Coffee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 20
File: cofi.jpg (78 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
cofi.jpg
78 KB, 650x500
How do you make your coffee while /out/?

I've been using instant coffee for the longest, but it's just not the same- and percolators are too heavy / awkward to carry.

What do, /out/ ?
>>
File: TJBlack.jpg (577 KB, 1080x1440) Image search: [Google]
TJBlack.jpg
577 KB, 1080x1440
bump. I also would like to know
>>
I do the same as you, especially while backpacking. I bring a moka pot and grinder in the car, but that doesn't come on the trail with me. I know that jet boil makes a french press attachment
>>
Instant coffee in a small plastic container + container of dried milk if I feel luxurious (I usually do this if I want fancy oats, otherwise I'd buy those little coffee sachets).

I guess if you're taking a car, you could take a french press and some filter coffee.
>>
>>608051
Starbucks VIA + hot water
>>
i bring a french press when car camping, or I just go with out

instant coffee is not even worth it, man
>>
>>608058
I was going to say, 'the caffeine hit', but I suppose if you really need it, just take caffeine pills.
>>
Buy some disposable empty tea bags put coffee in them. All you need is hot water then.
>>
>>608066
that's bad ass. never seen empty tea bags though, sounds like something you find at an asian market.
>>
>>608056
Same here. Or those packets of instant Vietnamese style coffee.

I have a French press attachment for my jetboil, but unless you I'm packing my lido grinder, via is as good and much easier.
>>
>>608051
Nestle instant coffee and milk in a small can, or just coffeine tablets. If anyone's interested here's a video that shows how you really do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX91Nj0uItI
>>
How about... Add grinded coffe beans to a cup, pour hot water over it.
>>
>>608051
I pour boiling water on regular coffee into a cone filter that sits on the cup
>>
Just make cowboy coffee anon. You can make it as a pot or on a per cup basis.

All you need is a container that you can boil water in and (optional but preferable for groups) cups. Place water in pot/cup/container over fire/heat source, throw in desired amount of grinds, then let boil. If you want a real kick in the ass make it the night before then in the morning boil it again.
>>
>>608051
Instant coffe in small plastic container + hot water + cup.

aint no thing but a chicken wing
>>
You boil water in a pot and throw coffee in. Reduce the heat and let it cook for about 8 minutes. Drink coffee and cut tooth picks from trees to pick grounds out of your teeth. This is how a man does it, not sure how children do it.
>>
>>608058
I grew up on instant and I like it fine, not exactly gourmet but it's warm and familiar.
>>
>>608055
filter coffee is the only coffee.

whatever that shit is you stir into water is, it aint coffee.
>>
>>608051
nescafe 3 in 1, all you need is water.
i drink em at home sometimes because im too lazy to percolate.

also great for irish coffees in the morning when you got a lazy day at camp.
>>
File: kaffepanna.jpg (43 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
kaffepanna.jpg
43 KB, 399x600
Cowboy coffee if weight isn't a priority.
>>
I mix coffee sugar and cinnamon nutmeg cardamom into a bag.
put sand on hot coals and heat container
>>
I like coldbrew a shit ton.
Its super strong so you dont need to carry that much, and if its cold out you can brew it overnight. Never tried warming it up but I bet mixing hot water with it would make a mean cup of hot joe.
>>
Get a mocca roast
Boil up a cantine of water
Remove from heat
Add coffee and stir
Let grinds settle to the bottom
Enjoy

Although I just use instant espresso, sugar, and cardamom.
>>
take your pot and throw coffee beans into it and then water bring it to a boil and gently pour it so the grinds stay at the bottom.
Or do like a do take a coffee filter pour some coffee into it and then tie the filter shut so you have a makeshift tea ball think or a tea bag then throw that in your coffee cup and let it steep like tea.
>>
>>608175
>throw coffee beans into it and then water bring it to a boil and gently pour it so the grinds stay at the bottom
Magic coffee grinding water!
>>
I love me a mocha pot at home, but fuck lugging that shit. Cowboy coffee in the billy is fine, carry a few paper coffee filters as well which double up as water sediment filters should I need.
>>
>>608177
You dont have that?
>>
>>608056
Don't look any further, this is the solution. I use these at work quite a bit. Lighter weight than a tea bag
>>
Aeropress w/ freshly roasted and ground beans
Condensed milk

works aight
>>
I only drink coffee with milk, sadly cow/goat will get sour after an hour outside of the fridge, so I use UHT milk instead. I ground myself the beans, that are usually Arabian beans from Costa Rica, Colombia or Puerto Rico.
>>
>>608252

Never tried powdered milk? It works good in kwaffee just spoon a bit right in there. Also fine in oats, generally a good thing overall.
>>
>>608262
>powdered milk
I don't like it. My younger sister (16 years old) loves to eat it dry though.
>>
Hot water and a clean sock spread over a cup. Pour the water slowly and stir with a clean stick. How you heat the water is up to you
>>
>>608171
>>608164
I've never heard of putting cardamom in coffee, is it for taste or does it make the coffee less bitter?

Also I usually drink coffee black so milk powder is unneccessary for me
>>
>having an addiction to the jewbeen
>>
>>608268
It's how you make coffee in the home of coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8je7VLwD4U
>>
>>608269
>not riding the caffeine train
>>
>>608264

Harden the fuck up, or even better just get used to black coffee.
>>
>>608153
its literally freeze dried coffee
>>
>>608153
Espresso > moka pot > French press > filter >>>>>> percolator > instant.

>>608306
Freeze drying makes it no longer coffee.
>>
Just chew beans on the trail.
>>
File: Bear wants your piss.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bear wants your piss.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
Just soak your beans in piss then shove them up your arse.
>>
File: IMG_1653.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1653.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>608051
>not using your percolator to store coffee and pemmican when not in use

bro, do you even?
>>
I take 100mg caffeine pills and don't even miss the coffee after 15 minutes.
>>
>>608360
Love me some caffeine pills in the backcountry. Lightweight, simple, quick, and easy. No need to use extra fuel and water to brew coffee. Although a warm cup of joe is nice on a cold morning.
>>
>>608051
I don't. Tea tastes better, takes up less weight and space, is easier to make while /out/, and gives you a caffeine hit without dehydrating you.
>the current year
>not drinking tea
>>
File: Zmu3kUf.jpg (34 KB, 640x621) Image search: [Google]
Zmu3kUf.jpg
34 KB, 640x621
>>608323
>>
>>608298
>get used to black coffee
Might as well wear cargo shorts and live in a dumpster.
>>
If you have a cook set that has holes in the lid, like the Stanley cook set, you can just boil the grounds with the water, set a filter over the rim, set the lid over the filter and pour it through the holes.
>>
>>608391
Pussy
>>
>>608382

Good point. Tea also goes well without milk or sugar and making it in the billy is the best way.
>>
>>608488
God, no!

Tea contains oxalic acid which will crystallize and form kidney stones. You put in a dash of milk to neutralize the oxalic acid.

And tea leaves a residue. You don't brew the tea in the kettle because after you've done that a few times you can only make tea in it as the water tastes a bit like tea. The amount of cleaning necessary to remove that film of residue stands in no relation to just brewing your tea in your cup, which is more easily and regularly cleaned.

Furthermore you don't want your tea in boiling water. Black tea should be brewed just below boiling, green tea half way between that and hand warm.

And for heaven's sake, take out the tea bag after 2 minutes!
>>
I'll 2nd the Aeropress. Will make a nice smooth cup of joe without worries of breaking, heavy weight, or being bulky. I'm surprised it's not the go to for everyone out.
>>
>>608491
>Totally not a french press.
>Soo different!
About $25 different.
>>
File: TheCoffeebrewer_simple_idea.jpg (249 KB, 1250x606) Image search: [Google]
TheCoffeebrewer_simple_idea.jpg
249 KB, 1250x606
http://growerscup.com, seems like an OK alternative. But it make a lot of trash.
>>
>>608505
It produces ridiculous amounts of non degradeable PE. That's not even a little OK.
>>
File: coffee filter.jpg (67 KB, 900x680) Image search: [Google]
coffee filter.jpg
67 KB, 900x680
>>608505
Pay $30 once, asshole!
>>
>>608507
That's not even 20 cups of hipster coffee.

Think you'll drink more than 20 cups of coffee for the rest of your /out/ life? Save money. And the environment you seem to like or you wouldn't be here...
>>
>>608494
Actually it is quite different and so it the resulting brew. I don't care for it, nor do I care for french press, but can taste the differences.

I like turkish and moka pot best, hence my preference for starbucks' via packets when /out/.
>>
>>608382
>>608489

I usually drink tea around lunch / after dinner, it's not a morning thing for me

>>608356
looks great! I tried storing socks / random stuff in a percolator once, but somewhere along the trail I bumped a tree or something and my percolator was crushed :(
brewed coffee in the mug for the rest of the trip, and after that I don't bring the thing backpacking
>>
File: kalita-dripper-lg.jpg (220 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
kalita-dripper-lg.jpg
220 KB, 1200x800
H-has no one suggested a pourover yet? Just get a metal or plastic pourover cone and you can stick it on top of your thermos/nalgene/mug. Just put cone filters in it, put ground coffee, pour just-off-the-boil water over it and you'll have coffee in like 2 minutes.

You can get a cheap plastic pourover cone for like 5 bucks. You won't even notice the weight of a plastic one.
>>
File: LL.jpg (38 KB, 350x467) Image search: [Google]
LL.jpg
38 KB, 350x467
>>608391
Folger's/Gas station black coffee tastes like ass, but if you get good beans, black coffee can have a variety of flavors and tastes that are quite enjoyable.

I mean people talk about wine, whisky and beer having complex flavors all the time. Why not coffee?
>>
>>608606
see
>>608507
>>
File: 1444500303964.jpg (72 KB, 350x620) Image search: [Google]
1444500303964.jpg
72 KB, 350x620
>>608608
>image appears broken
>>
>>608494
i'm not familiar with the process, im just looking at google pics, but the aeropress doesn't appear to leave the grounds brewing in the water while drinking. this is the problem coffee diehards have with french press and in the case of camping cowboy coffee. this is also why pour-over is growing in popularity compared to the french press.

although i understand the issue i wouldn't myself expect or prepare for precision brewing in an outdoors setting. cowboy coffee is fine imo
>>
File: vinacafe.jpg (317 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
vinacafe.jpg
317 KB, 640x640
>>608051
3 in one vietnamese instant coffee. probably the cheapest, lightest way to go. Just go to any asian supermarket. You just better like sugar and creme added but I'm telling you its the best option for strong easily toted coffee. Vinacafe or nescafe recommended. About $5 for 20 packets.

Cowboy coffee is something that's great if done right but most people don't do it right. I used to work at a historical park where some actual retired cowboys would make some every sunday morning and man was it good.

The french press idea is also a decent way to make a single cup of espresso. I find it incompatible with my views on camping though. Just a touch too much trouble.
>>
>>609035
also I just want to add that the stuff you regularly have available to you for instant coffee is garbage compared to this stuff. Vietnamese in particular understand coffee. And pastry for that matter. they were a french colony for the longest time after all.
>>
File: e990002-2.jpg (79 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
e990002-2.jpg
79 KB, 1000x1000
at the moment i use one of these if i'm not arsed about the weight too much.

it's not bad once a stupid pointless hole is filled.

if i'm feeling fancy i'll bring my 2x AA battery milk frother too and something to heat milk up in.

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-Travel-French-Coffee-Single/dp/B00F9ZTL6U

normally I just use a ti mug with a coffee filter elastic banded round the top of it if weight is a cunt.
>>
>>608507
>>608606

You can do away with those when using paper filters, just put it in the cup with the coffee in it, pour the water in and lift it out with your hands. Wait for it to drain no worries. You can even give the paper a rinse and let it dry out, get a couple of uses.
>>
>>609035

Cowboy coffee is a "feel" just get into making it you'll nail it soon enough. Worth the effort.
>>
I...grind beans. I put those beans in a ziplock. I put that ziplock in my pot with a bag of sugar and a bag of powdered milk, and a reusable coffee filter.

People who drink any form of instant coffee powder are strange.
>>
>>608051
turkish coffee.
I mix a bit of cinnamon with sugar, cocoa, and coffee powder, it's so good I'm doing it at home too!
>>
>>608079
I just buy thru amazon, but yea maybe they have them there.
>>
File: photo-4-2.jpg (1 MB, 2429x2350) Image search: [Google]
photo-4-2.jpg
1 MB, 2429x2350
Nescafe instant espresso + brown sugar. It can't really be compared to real espresso, but it's amazing what you learn to love.
>>
File: 1408000224124.jpg (3 KB, 140x119) Image search: [Google]
1408000224124.jpg
3 KB, 140x119
>>608608
>take my big booty qt gf with me camping
How had I overlooked this?
>>
File: coleman-camping-coffee-maker.jpg (83 KB, 628x945) Image search: [Google]
coleman-camping-coffee-maker.jpg
83 KB, 628x945
>>608051
>How do you make your coffee while /out/?

I've got a Coleman camp coffee maker that I've used for years but recently, a buddy turned me on to Starbucks instant coffee and despite my misgivings, it's tastes good and is a lot easier to deal with at camp then lugging a coffee maker along.
>>
File: IMG_1677.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1677.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>608543
stronger percolator
>>
>>608058
french press for the win
>>
File: joe dimaggio mr coffee.jpg (426 KB, 712x999) Image search: [Google]
joe dimaggio mr coffee.jpg
426 KB, 712x999
>>610724
> percolator

This is the worst way to make coffee, as by continually recirculating it back down to the burning hot bottom of the pot, you're burning all the flavor out of the coffee.

You'd be much better off by tossing the percolator parts and using the pot simply to heat the water, pouring it into a French press or using instant coffee.
>>
>>610865
nothing wrong with instant coffee it's made by making coffee then dehydrating it with vacum
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.