[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there /out/. I'm a wildlife photographer and want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 574005.jpg (293 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
574005.jpg
293 KB, 2048x1536
Hey there /out/. I'm a wildlife photographer and want to camp out in the winter. Is there any equipment you would recommend? Some brands/models of tents and sleeping bags? Anything else?

Since family of foxes lives near my house, first time of my winter camping will be close enough to go back home if anything goes wrong.
>>
File: sawtoothint350.jpg (77 KB, 350x499) Image search: [Google]
sawtoothint350.jpg
77 KB, 350x499
>>607540
https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/sawtooth-p86.aspx
>>
>>607540
Is weight an issue? IE. are you going to be hauling this stuff long distances in the future using your own strength?

If so then buy shit intended for mountaineering. Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Back Diamond, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, Montbell, Hilleberg, etc.

If not then buy shit intended for outfitters. I'm not that familiar with this stuff, but you'll be looking at canvas tents which can accommodate a chimney, a wood heating stove with a chimney, heavy as fuck sleeping bag, possibly a collapsible cot, etc.

Mountaineering stuff tends to be more expensive and often won't hold up to the same abuse as outfitter gear, but performs just as well if you take care of it. A -40C/F mountaineering sleeping bag will be about 4-5lb and cost usually around $700. A -40C/F outfitter sleeping bag will be like 20lb and cost around $200 with much thicker abrasion resistant fabrics than the mountaineering bag.
>>
>>607571
Yeah, the general idea is to be hauling the stuff long distance in the future.
>>
>>607578
Get a bag with a membrane (i.e. Gore-Tex) shell built in, Marmot makes a good one, so do a few other companies. A liner bag will also help you stay warmer and the bag drier (pic related, or silk.) Some people use space/foil blankets as a liner, but they don't breathe and you'll usually wake up all sweaty and drenched. Nalgene bottles filled with hot water placed in your bag will also keep your temperature up. Four season (winter) tents come in a few different types. The bomber ones are single wall membrane and they'll basically float. A bit stuffy for longer stays, I've also had good luck with the EV tents from Mountain Hardwear. Be prepared to build a wind wall in more exposed areas. On that note, be sure to pack a shovel. If you're in avalanche terrain then you'll need the appropriate equipment and training as well.
>>
File: sea to summit reactor.jpg (22 KB, 309x440) Image search: [Google]
sea to summit reactor.jpg
22 KB, 309x440
>>607582
Forgot pic related
>>
>>607540
Get a one piece thermal underwear, the thick one. Don't hike in it, as you'll sweat too much. Use it for nights and around camp. While you are waiting to shoot in location this will help.
>>
>>607541
This.

It is the best 2 man tent ever and it'd be a mansion if you are traveling solo. You could get by with their Megatarp and still have plenty of room for gear and such, but the standup room of the Sawtooth is great and it doesn't add much weight.

You'd also do well to get a stove. Kifaru's are OK but I much prefer Seek Outside's. I use their SXL in a sawtooth but have a friend who uses their Large with no issues.

But if you are on a budget this is overkill, what with your house being close by. Especially depending on where you live. I was once in serious danger of freezing to death on a mountain, despite a -5 bag and all the right insulating layers, so I don't do much winter camping without a stove.
>>
>>607623
>>607541

797 dollars for something you could make yourself with a fucking tarp jesus.
>>
File: 1443212659628.jpg (34 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1443212659628.jpg
34 KB, 500x376
>>607623
>>607541
>No floor
>>
>>607639
>something you could make yourself with a fucking tarp jesus.
not really, but go ahead and try if you want. ive done winter camping with tarps and its not too bad, im going to gun for a kufaru this winter though.

>>607641
its pretty standard because you can wear your boots inside and not worry about cutting up the floor.

it also allows you to pitch the tent in high snow and dig trenches so the cold air sinks below your sleeping area, doing this can also allow more standing room.
>>
>>607641
You'll burn the floor out of your tent on day 1 if you put a stove in it.
>>
>>607639
Ha no, you can't make one yourself unless you are a master tent designer. It is well more than a tarp.
>>
>>607639
"Why would anyone want to buy good quality equipment when you can improvise with cheap shit?"

>confirmed for never actually going out
>>
>>607578
Get a pulk sled, your back will thank you.
>>
Also, depending on the range you intend to cover, learn to Nordic ski. It's a lot faster and more energy efficient than snow shoeing.
>>
>>607540
What's the expedition duration you are looking for? Because a sled will really help if you are looking at anything beyond 1 - 2 days.
>>
Bibler tents; Feathered Friends bags; Gregory packs. Had an Exped ultra deluxe down filled air mattress, but the baffles tore out. Really nice while it lasted though ;)
>>
Op, how winter do you want to go?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.