[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to live in a tent outside and still work? Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Is it possible to live in a tent outside and still work? Like have a tent within reasonable walking distance of a bus or something to take you into town while you save up money?
>>
Possible: Yes
Good idea: No
>>
>>606697
It's only for a month or two until I save up rent money
>>
>>606697
What about a large canvas tent like the surplus army ones pitched on a wooden deck/base with a wood burning stove?
>>
Yes but how the hell do you plan to shower and do laundry? No way you will keep your job if you can't take care of yourself.

Either find friends, family or strangers who will let you camp in their yard. Access to a bathroom and kitchen would be preferred.

If you can't do it legally and clean, don't do it.
>>
>>606710

YMCA membership and pedal washer bro.

There are ways to do this. It's all about increasing your gratitude for the small things I think. Ingenuity helps. My goal in life is to live in a tiny house on a tiny plot of land, no car, no bills, but with a good satisfying job. That's independence, freedom.

http://inhabitat.com/this-129-foot-powered-clothes-washer-is-now-available-for-pre-order-in-the-u-s/
>>
>>606690
If you have a microwave and a shower at work, yes.
The alternative gym membership will do it for the shower, but you don't want to eat sandwiches for 2 months, and you are not going to save money by going at Mc Do every meal.

I advise you to buy/rent a van anyway. It's better than the hobo way.

>>606718
With a permanent job, you will pay a normal house on a normal plot of land faster than you think. Find a way to get the job first, everything else will come itself.
>>
>>606690

You will be sick constantly.
>>
>>606718
May I recommend a very good movie to you called, "I am.", I think you will like it.
Anon.
>>
>>606690
OP, look into building a yurt, instead. If you can find it, look up Len Charney's book on building one, if not, buy "Mongolian Cloud Houses".

Should give you better options than a simple tent, one that'll keep you warmer.
>>
>>606728
this

life will become pretty miserable for you, especially during the winter months. youll spend whatever time you aren't working trying to quell your illness and you'll probably never recover once you initially get ill.

inb4 pet store antibiotics, you're not a physician and chances are you'll die of secondary superinfection or c. difficile.
>>
>>606690
I have been living in my van for a month while going to work 5 days a week 9am to 6pm.
The main problem is of course being clean. For shower I sometime ask friends but since I do sport in boxing club, I can warm-shower twice a week. In the morning I wash my face in the office sink and have a coffee.

It is very doable for now, I don't know how many of my coworkers know about it.
>>
>>606817
(continued) Also I have never been sick since.
>>
Other than the already-mentioned issues of sickness and troubles with washing, there's also the issue of having no good place to securely store things. You'd better either have someplace else to store your valuables or so few valuables that you an keep them with you at all times. The lack of food storage is also a problem. Eating out constantly drains your funds, so get used to eating /out/ all the time instead.

Also beware of shitty kids who break things for no reason because their brains are not fully formed yet and they have no impulse control, or simply because they're assholes who hate poor people. There's a pretty high chance that if your tent is out in the open, somebody will try to knock it down, slash it up, or otherwise fuck with it.

Additionally, of course, know the law where you are. Wouldn't want the police arresting you for illegally setting up a tent where you're not supposed to.
>>
>>606703
that doesn't make sense, though
if you can't sustain yourself month to month from the get go, you will run out of that rent money eventually
>>
>>607024
>confirmed for never renting an apartment.
An apartment is expensive as fuck at first. Usually requires first and last month rent and a security deposit. So your looking at 2 months worth of rent and something like a $500 deposit.
>>
>>606690
I know of a guy who did this. He was a contractor over here and the company gave him housing allowance. He just lived in a tent to get all that money they were paying him for rent, he got in a bunch of trouble for it though
>>
>>606817
join a gym for $20/mo and you can shower every day after getting in a run or workout
>>
saw a documentary once about some salarymen in japan live like hobos

the more luxury hobos live in netcafes tho
>>
>>607085
Not everywhere
>>
It is what my dad does
>>
>>607891
You're a blowhardtryhardknownothingkeyboardwarriorfaggot who is painfully (perhaps wilfully?) ignorant of life, and of OP's circumstances/situation/location. Your statement is of zero help, now kindly fuck off back to wherever the fuck you were before you stumbled into this thread to insert your vain attempt at sounding intelligent.

TL;DR: Your opinion is worse than useless. You are a bad person and should feel bad for wasting other people's air. Kill yourself and livestream it.
>>
>>607894
Why so aggressive/mad?
>vain attempt at sounding intelligent
I'm just saying that you don't have to pay up front in all countries/areas. Maybe the poster you replied to (Also aggressively) is from such an area. Sure, he should have realized it's different where OP is, just like you should have realized it's different where he is instead of assuming he's a kid/lives at home.
>>
>>606690
>tfw you traveled to the kingdom of Zeal
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.