[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK - your favourite /out/ spots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: UK.jpg (111 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
UK.jpg
111 KB, 640x480
Sup guys

I'm putting together a map of the best places to get /out/ to.

Starting with the UK but will expand elsewhere to.

Some of my favourites

- All of Scotland but specifically Skye (Camasunary), Torridon, The Applecross Peninsula
- Forest of Dean
- New forest
- Cornish coast

What are yours?

Any good big forests you can reliably get away with wild camping for a few days?
>>
>>605895
Not from the UK, but I keep hearing about Dartmoor.
>>
>>605994

There have been 2 UK /out/ meetups in Dartmoor and it is a pretty great place. It's HUGE, it's legal to wildcamp there (this isn't much of a problem though really) and it's beautiful.

My favourites would be Dartmoor, S. Wales Valleys and The Gower.
>>
Scotland

/thread
>>
I love the New Forest. Even though you can't legally wild camp, it's fucking huge enough that you don't have to worry as long as you go off the beaten track

Got plenty of food, water and firewood
>>
>>606153
The reason I said Dartmoor, is because I've seen MCQBushcraft and ZedOutdoors camp there a few times, and it looks like a place I would camp if I lived there. Nice and wooded, decent amount of water, and just looks like an all round nice place.
>>
>>605895
see uk out thread, no Snowdonia

>WOT TH FUK M8?!?!
>>
>>606153
Dartmoor is privately owned AFAIK. The owner tolerates wildcamping, even reasonable campfires. Gets stupidly cold at times though.
>>
Thinking about doing a bit of wild camping on Scafell Pike. I've done it before, but never solo.

Any solo tent reccomedations? Heard good things about the Coleman's.

Is wild camping during October too cold? Outside seems pretty mild, but I don't know how cold it is 1m above sea level.
>>
>>606268
Gets a bit busy at times. Feels more like the hiking version of Butlins.
>>
>>606354

I'd recommend Sprinkling or Styhead tarn. The weather atm is still great and is probably still just about in double figures at that altitude but it will obviously cool soon, and you'll want to get a sleeping bag that will keep you comfortable down to 0C. It won't get that cold, but you're always better overcompensating.
>>
>>606353

Part of Dartmoor are privately owned, but I've never come across anything which said that ALL of Dartmoor was privately owned. It has national park status.

Wikipedia says it's 57.3% privately owned and about 37% of it is 'common land'.
>>
>>605895
Done: Applecross, FoD and Skye
The outer Hebrides are awesome if you do a couple of foraging and fishing lessons. I've hit Skye, Lunga, Barra, Mulland, Scarba and Jura.
Dartmoor/exmoor can be /out/ if you know where to skulk and so is the Gower. All of the jurrasic coast has spots even if if isn't barren. Aberystwyth and the valleys in general hold up pretty awesome too. Never done the Lake District or the North but I'm sure theres' shit there
>>
>>605895
I like how they included south Ireland in the photo despite it not being there's

It's kinda like one of those "soon" pictures. Someone needs to shop the queen peering over England at Ireland with just her eyes showing, would be riot.
>>
>>606355
I've lived here 4 years now and thanks to you i can finally hit the nail on the head!
>>
>>606355
live on Anglesey, have done all my life- can confirm this to be 110% true.

I keep the fuck away in the high season, or I'll end up hurting someone :/
>>
I've only ever gone camping in this country at actual campsites because muh illegal wild camping, but I stopped going altogether because campsites are insufferable.

Now I just go for day walks.

Anyone here ever actually had any problems wild camping? I keep getting the itch
>>
>>606921
no problems at all... camped a fuck load of times in snowdonia in particular and it's just a case of getting out of the way.

a couple times choosing a particularly aesthetically pleasing spot to pitch the tent has even got me compliments from early morning hill walkers who stumbled across us (to be fair though they're generally the type to be into that sort of thing anyways).
>>
>>606954
though i must say once a mentally unstable woman stopped by to collect a couple quid for the farmer in llanberis pass (which is apparently an arrangement they had but i think she was legit mental and if anything they just humour her) and chatted to me for ages about how they're trying to put her in a home of sorts and her latest 'incident' which from what i gathered involved being more naked than is legal and wandering about.
>>
File: saltire.jpg (76 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
saltire.jpg
76 KB, 750x600
>>605895
Please just stay in England
>>
>>606354

I have the Vango Zenith 200. Weighs a shade over 2kg and has the tension band system which is a godsend in high winds. Also, where/how did you camp on scafell pike? Its a boulder field. There's nowhere to put a tent up there as far as I remember.

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Scafell-Pike-098.jpg
>>
>>606262
water from dartmoor streams tastes great!
i live with it in view from my house so i visit there often but not for very big trips
>>
Would be great to know of any spots in Yorkshire. Sick of commercial camping...
>>
>>606960
fuck you, the referendum failed, you belong to us you celtic cunt :)
>>
>>606914
living in Menai Bridge, know any descent areas to get out and about Anglesey side?
>>
Anyone been to the Outer Hebrides? Would love to go on a cycle tour there.
>>
>>607643

Newborough forest is great
>>
>>607643
not many as the place is so damn flat and geared for farming. Cemlyn isn't a bad spot though- it's reasonably isolated and still has some kind of woodland, most of it has been cleared by the forestry comission over the past decade sadly. there are a few coastal spots , and a rare gem or two just outside Holyhead. I've had a few cheeky overnighters at Llyn Cefni, but youre likely to get dog walkers and stoners in cars bugging you, same with Llyn Alaw unless you walk right around to the western side. avoid the fuck (no matter how nice it looks) out of the Dingle in Llangeni dickheads and junkies abound. same goes for Presaddfed- it look great but they have a shooting school there and raise birds you're likely to get rolled by a gamekeeper

I'd advise you load up a backpack and check out the coastal path, it will give you a good feel and keep you away from a lot of the mainstream plebs- the in thing here atm is photography, it's not unusual to see groups of 20 odd or so middle aged fold milling around with tripods and cameras in well known scenic spots. if you want a bit of sneaky beaky stealth action, LLansedusant woods used to be good when I was a teenager, but I've not been there fro years, I just tend to stick to the few gems I know locally now

>>607888
it's shit. if you're not woken up by a warden, you will be by some one setting up a camera tripod to take pics of the red squirrels or some uppity dog walker . also it's strictly no fires because it's all pine woodland on dunes, they whole thing will go up- in fact the closed the whole place down at the gates ( where it's £3 to get in) because they thought some illegal rave come beach party was going to go down there in the summer and they were afraid of people getting a blaze going

are you even local, or have you just been looking at google maps?!
>>
>>608176

Yes I used to live around north Wales a few years ago.

It is a beautiful spot, an area of special scientific interest and usually pretty empty when I have gone (not in the summer). I didn't wild camp there but the guy asking the question wasn't asking about wild camping, they were asking about nice areas to go and see.
>>
>>608448

>Yes I used to live around north Wales a few years ago.

suuuuuure- you've said nothing significant about the place you can't find online in 2 seconds. but hey, it's the internet you can claim whatever you want buddy

As for Newborough the place is all boardwalked pathways and landscaped for wheelchair access- you're never more than 20m from a pathway. Trees have been felled to allow the dunes to creep inland. hell they have even build a designated BBQ area and wash block in the carpark.

unless you're a parent with a 7 seater full of kids and a hyperactive Labrador, or a middle aged guy with a Nikon D300 looking for squirrels it's not somewhere I'd bother with
>>
>>607475
>you belong to us you celtic cunt :)

I invite you to say that any night of the week in Glasgow.
>>
File: 242526.jpg (164 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
242526.jpg
164 KB, 960x720
>>605895
Nice that you are publicising places most who know where they are, not be given pleb level coverage.

Cheers m8
>>
Does anyone have any solid 2 or more nights wild camping spot suggestions?

>>608644
I don't understand what you are trying to say here pal.
>>
>>608176

Thanks man, nice detailed response. I'll check LLansedusant woods out!
>>
File: 1426875800449.jpg (1 MB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
1426875800449.jpg
1 MB, 2288x1712
I live in Sussex and the south downs are good for going outdoors. There is lots of heath, old woodland and is isolated if you stay near the hills and don't go to the weald or anywhere near that. we don't get too many tourists as well, so summer is not overcrowded. we have boars here as well, though i've never seen one.

Lake district is good as well, lots of forests and woodlands that are isolated and unknown to most people where you could stay for years undiscovered. Though there are a lot of tourists.

Lake district is good
>>
>>609871
if that's wast water i've jacked off right there where the stones, ah wait i've said this before haven't I?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.