[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this geocaching as fun as it seems? Does anyone have any interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Is this geocaching as fun as it seems? Does anyone have any interesting stories? It's kind of weird that there's little secret caches of goodies around the area I live where people visit once in a while.
>>
I've never tried this OP but it sounds fun, my dad was considering doing this.
>>
I think it's actually a little less fun than it seems, but it's a good way to kill an afternoon
>>
It can be a fun little way to discover an area you've never been or learn history about the area you are in. i like to do it when i get to a new city, youc an learn a lot about a city based on it's geocaches and the facts that are given in the description. sometimes it can be a real pain in the ass to find, almost to the point where it's more of an unpleasant experience then a good one. That's why i don't look for micro's anymore, fuck those little things. It can also be a fun date activity if you don't have anything else to do.
>>
Use it as motivation to explore areas you haven't been to yet, if you go hiking or camping then it's a way to look around an area you wouldn't have gone otherwise.
>>
>>603473
I found one inside a rusted-out car once. It contained Hot Wheels versions of the car. Kinda creepy.
>>
>>603676
This. It's a good way to find nice spots in areas you don't know.

>>603473
It can be fun for a while, some caches even have riddles to solve in order to find the logbook. The "goodies" are mostly junk you'd find in kinder-eggs, at least in good old europe. So after a while it's just: Find the cache, jolt your name down, log it online, repeat.
>>
>>603473
Not fun, but you will get to see some nice places as you hunt for it.

I've never found anything that was interesting, it's a hipster pastime at best.

Only good thing I found was a tiny Buddhist shrine, from the outside it was just a small wooden box about the size of a shoe box built into a drystone wall, when you open the door it was full of brightly coloured reflective and shiny things like mirrors, coloured tin foil and tiny fake jewels, plus a Buddha statue glued inside, it was beautiful like a secret shrine or something, sadly I lost all the pictures I took of it in a hard drive crash a few years back.
>>
I found one of these and put a used condom in it. It was pretty funny
>>
>>603473
Never done it, but I'd just geocache bogrolls, that shit is always welcome.
>>
>>604379
kill yourself.
>>
>>604379
I put a dried up piece of dog shit in one
>>
>>604379

I found one once with some small figurines in it, i took those, then threw the bottle in a lake.
>>
this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
I keep all that I find
>>
>>604379
>>605270
>>605288
SO EDGY
>>
I'd do geocaching but the general public doesn't deserve anything. Fuck potentially rewarding some douchey faggot.
>>
>>603473
Geocaching is literally just puttign garbage in the wild and hiding it. I stalk geocaching forums around my area and go hunt them down, then throw them away, or somethings destroy them in a camp fire.

You fuckers need to learn a little thing called "leave nothing but footprints/leave no trace".
>>
>>605485
The idea of a geocache is to be discrete and not easily found. Yes, sometimes people just leave junk but a lot of the time there are interesting things in them and sometimes have interesting stories written in the logs. I am all for the "leave no trace" mindset, it pisses me off to no end when I go out hiking and there are beer bottles/cans just a few feet off the path or any number of other trash, but a geocache is an exception. Even if it is just trash, it's trash that gives some the incentive to actually go out into the wilderness and enjoy it a little. Maybe if they enjoy it enough they will actually give a fuck about where they leave all their other trash.

TL;DR fuck off and burn in hell faggot.
>>
>>603473
The biggest thing I have against geocaching is that you're just following a gps. Being in the woods should just be you going into the woods and finding stuff on your own. Something about looking at a screen to find some crap that some other dude put there a few days ago just seems stupid.
Go find a dump ditch from the early 1900s and you'll find way cooler shit.
>>
>>605485
This.
>>
>>605499
> Even if it is just trash, it's trash
I'm glad we agree, now knock it off you faggot.
>>
File: you win.jpg (33 KB, 511x341) Image search: [Google]
you win.jpg
33 KB, 511x341
>>605485
My hero.

Seriously though, you're just an autistic cockgoblin pissed others are having fun. When you hide something for geocaching, someone else is meant to find it and take it home.

I bet the thought of Easter egg hunts gives you a hateboner.
>>
Once found a huge zip lock bag of 8mm/super 8 home movie size film reels with footage of a bunch of old national geographic style locations. Used to take a handful with me on hikes and place them in caches just to mix things up for people instead of plastic mcdonalds crap you always find.
>>
>geocache with a record of actually being found
>drive to its location, park
>I am now <30m away
>use cell phone GPS to get close
>it is probably another film canister
>spend upwards of 15 minutes right on top of where the GPS says it should be, looking for this tiny ass canister
>"muggles" looking at you like you're a creep
>finally find it, inside is a waterlogged piece of paper with names and dates scrawled on it. Contribute
>mark it as found on cell phone
>drive to the next one and continue the Easter egg hunt
I thought it would be cool to have to travel to interesting places and access difficult locations. Not looking under a light pole in a Publix parking lot.
>>
>>605653
There are quite a few in interesting and difficult locations to get to, then there are some in some pretty public, easy to access places so that anyone can participate. If you don't like the easy ones, don't go for them.
>>
how do I get started? is there some phone app or something that you guys use?
>>
I went geocaching while on a camping trip with my colleges geology department. It very fun and adventurous when you go offtrail and at night. Going urban geocaching during the day is just sort of dumb.
>>
>>605739
https://www.geocaching.com/play
>>
>>605510
Mark it on a map, then orienteer to it.
>>
I don't purposely look for them, but when I stumble across one, which I have a couple times (or something similar to a geocache), I'll write down my name in the log book and be on my way. Don't leave anything, but don't take anything either.

Around my hometown and throughout the Great Lakes States in general, there's a similar activity where you make a unique stamp of your own by carving it in an eraser, and you find these pencil boxes with log books in them, and put your stamp in the book rather than your name and a little goodie. Kinda neat, too.
>>
>>605485
i also check the areas i go through for these hidden shits, as they are sometimes in cool spots. then i take them home and throw them in the garbage where they belong.

according to the website, some these mouth breathers actually drive around just to do this shit. what about just watching and being in nature, goddamn redditors of the wild.
>>
>>603473
I've never done it but I've found around half a dozen in my times. I totally loot them. One was an ammo can and I emptied it and took the can. Revenge for y'all kicking over my beautiful cairns you assholes.
>>
>>603473
>totally dig the concept
>got an app like a year ago
>check occasionally
>haven't found a single cache so far
I suck at this.
>>
>>603473
Its one of my favourite things to do.

You find all kind of cool hidden places or areas you wouldn't usually think to go, I don't really enjoy any of the urban ones though.

Anyone who destroys them should fucking kill themselves, its literally a small hidden box and not hurting anything in your precious wildlife, not to mention the park rangers have to give the go ahead for ones hidden in places like state forest.

>>605653
Thats why there are difficulty and terrain ratings. Go for the ones with terrains over 3 and they are usually interesting. Or if you like puzzles, ones with high difficulty.

Also check favourite points, the ones that are just a shitty box next to a tree don't get favourites.
>>
>>605485
>what a douche
>real /out/ enthusiasts wouldn't consider it "trash"
>go hero faggot
>>605499
This guy right here, listen to him
>>
>>603473
such a total faggot pasttime. arbitrary point collecting for redditors, complete with a retarded community. people doing this most definitively should kill themselves
>>
Back when I was a pot grower I would make up weed bonus packs and hide them around NM.
I would then post coordinates on /b/ and watch threads blow up.
good times.
>>
>>608670
>arbitrary point collecting
That could really refer to any past time though
>>
>>603473
fuck no, don't waste your time.
Most people put useless shit in them that you would otherwise find on the side of the road or in a pile of garbage.
>>
File: Injun tears.gif (756 KB, 241x182) Image search: [Google]
Injun tears.gif
756 KB, 241x182
>>605485
Levels of /out/-ness

1: No /out/ experience, just likes to talk about gear on the internet
2: Enjoys day hiking in scenic areas.
3: Does occasional overnight camping, goes out to escape humanity, brings a shitload of unnecessary gear, hates cairns or anything that reminds them of humans in camping areas frequented by people daily(you)
4: Does short and long term camping, minimizes gear, likes exploring remote areas and because of this is fascinated by the story behind any evidence of humans, in the occasional to rare event they find any.
5: Thoroughly understands primitive camping methods and doesn't need any gear or convenience. Has camped for longer than a month straight. Human trash = potentially useful object.

Fucking casuals.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.