[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any recommendations on what to put into an Altoid's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 17
File: alt1101.jpg (63 KB, 750x477) Image search: [Google]
alt1101.jpg
63 KB, 750x477
Anyone have any recommendations on what to put into an Altoid's tin?

What's the best things to keep for a survival tin.
>>
> best things
Altoid mints.

"Survival tins" are a meme if they don't have any shelter.
>>
>>595624
Agreed. At the bear minimum you need at least a survival blanket.
>>
>>595624
>>595633
This OP. At best, those are only useful as a supplement, not to fucking live off of.

I'd add a bic lighter to that however.
>>
Put weed, a grinder and rolling paper. ;-D 10/10
>>
>>595656
Good luck fitting a proper grinder into an altoids can.

If i were OP i would only take a couple cyanide pills so i could kill myself for thinking a survival kit should be this small.
>>
File: 1389059863027.gif (1 MB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1389059863027.gif
1 MB, 180x180
>>595663
>If i were OP i would only take a couple cyanide pills so i could kill myself for thinking a survival kit should be this small.
Brightened my day, here's to you!
>>
>>595663
That brings up a good question. How small can a survival kit be while still being useful?
>>
>>595685
I'm not a survival expert myself but I'm pretty sure something bigger than a fucking mint box or a pack of cards or cigarettes would be a starting point.
>>
I could see putting a small first aid kit in an altoids tin to keep in a backpack for day hikes, but not a full survival kit.
>>
File: SwissMint Survival.jpg (823 KB, 792x1188) Image search: [Google]
SwissMint Survival.jpg
823 KB, 792x1188
>>595612
>>
>>595691
Fuck I'll make room for a decent first aid kit. Only thing I used altoids for is my fire stuff (charcloth, lighters, matches, cottons balls, etc), and an emergency candle in my car
>>
>>595701
May I ask why you have an emergency candle for your car?
>>
>>595748
In case I drive over to somebody house and it's their birthday, I got it covered.
>>
>>595753
nice
>>
>>595753
Wow, you must be a real nice guy. I'm gonna have an emergency candle in my truck from now on, good job anon
>>
>>595754
> if they are one

...nice
>>
I have one. I could probably live out of it for a while. I have
>lighter
>fishing line and hooks
>cotton balls
>ID
>money
>small lense with paperclips
>small knife
It covers all the items that are hard to make innawoods besides shelter.
>>
>>595783
Where is your button compass and why paperclips, just curious? You should add some bank line to help shelter building. A great kit anyway. IMO stuff like signal mirror, rescue whistle, can opener, safety pins or duck tape are wrong type of thinks for an Altoids tin. Bandages are great to have and they take little space, but since Altoids is never opened they're probably expired and don't work when you need them.

>>595624
>"Survival tins" are a meme if they don't have any shelter.
No they are not. It's meant to be carried in your pocket at all times. It's possible to build a shelter using materials found in nature and it helps to have even a small (folding) knife and two feets of bank line.

>>595633
A survival blanket is bigger than an Altoids tin and it's about the smallest portable "shelter" there is. Really if something is a meme it's the survival blanket.

>>595685
>How small can a survival kit be while still being useful?
a feet of fishing line and a hook.
>>
>>595748
I've read, a candle in a car can raise the temp inside the vehicle up to 8 degrees. Wether or not this is true, I would assume it would have to raise it somewhat, or atleast keep your hands warm, if you were ever stranded on a winter storm inside your car.

I dont know why you would ask this.
>>
>>595624
Pretty true actually. This and water purification.

I have one (kinda) It's a molle pouch on my bag so it takes even less space than a tin while having more than double the room. Yes I do carry this bag everywhere.

It has some things that will save your ass in normal life:
>Pen
>Napkins
>hair-elastic-band thing

And survival stuff:
>Small leatherman style multi tool - Might replace this with one of my spare victorinoxes or a small knife.
>Rain poncho - Is shelter, can save you in normal life too.
>3m+ paracord, means I have 21m of the thin lines inside.
>Matches in waterproof container.
>bic lighter
>Powerful antihistamine for alergic shocks (Mainly wasp)
>Small roll of duct tape - Super useful
>Super glue - same
>Salt
>Water purification tabs
>kindling
>A small rocket (Unbeatable signaling) - I can't bring this everywhere sadly.

Things I'd like to add:
Quick clot or similar. The only really lifesaving small first aid
A bag or something for water, even though there is always a water container in my bag.
Money, maybe.

It's been designed after what I'd need to survive if I got stranded somewhere. Even the first day I'll need water, shelter and warmth, my tabs, poncho and a fire covers that. Yeah, I'll need food eventually. I had a mini fishing kit in this before, might add it again. But I can go for days and even weeks without food if I'm in such a shitty situation.
>>
Memes
>>
>>595685
It depends on knowledge and situation.
>>
>>595753
This has happened to me at least 5 times.
>>
File: 20131221_201312.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
20131221_201312.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>595612
i don't have altoid box but i have a 1 day car survival kit
>>
>>595933
monday arrives a fiskars x7 hatchet and a mora companion f that will go with it. meanwhile i have an edc multitool that's why you not seeing anything sharp in the kit. i also added in the meantime a couple of meds bandaids and handkerchiefs and whatnot not on the pic.
>>
I've been toying around with the idea of an altoids "survival kit", but never got around to it.

For now, my altoids kit is my edc tin. Contents:

maglite solitaire led. takes one AAA battery.
Leatherman squirt ps4 - has both pliers and scissors. Shame about no awl though.
8gb flash drive. When you need one, there is no substitute.
bic mini. I don't smoke, but some of my friends do. Plus lighting candles and stuff.
Spare change. For parking meters and vending machines, when bill/credit card are not an option.
A microfiber cloth. For sunglasses and smartphone screen.
small post-it notes + pencil (more like half a pencil).
4 paperclips stringed together.
couple of band-aids. for cuts.

Also, I have an extended edc kit inside a maxpedition micro:

emergency blanket
spare AAA batteries (2)
2200 mAh power bank + usb cable
headphones (also, hands-free set)
>>
>>595933
> Flint and steel in ziplock bag.
> Tampons
>>
>>596062
i know they don't need waterproofing much but there is a box of matches and stuff with them in the bag now more like an organizing thing the matches actually need waterproofing tho.
the tampons are primarily tinder but can be used to tamponate wounds or filter water. not lastly my gf can use them if she is with me and we are caught outside the wrong time.
condoms are the weak point since they are lubricated their use is very limited and icky.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>595938
>fiskars x7 hatchet
What have you done?

>>596065
>condoms are the weak point since they are lubricated
Things like this make it challenging for me to explain my hobby for a person outside of survival circles.
>>
>>596157
>What have you done?
i have bought the cheapest hatchet i could find (that actually chops really well, and requires zero maintenance aside from sharpening after use) to go with my 1 day car survival kit and to fuck around with while camping if my time allows.

lots of people hate on these poor things i see their steel as their only weakness. the rest is well done shit. if you don't plan to use them heavily and often then the steel quality presents no real problem.

if i was to throw myself in the wilderness i would buy a $200 hatchet with a hickory handle not a $20 one for sure.
>>
>fewer matches than I can fit in my dickhole
>no ferrocerium rod
I will never understand this.
>>
Fill is with whiskey

You'll probably want to bring a few tins
>>
I have one of those little hatchets too.

I mean I have no hate against the tool itself, it's just I find the handle too short to do much with.
>>
>>595748
I live in butt fuck nowhere, and getting stuck in the middle of winter is a definite possibility. The heat from the candle is enough to keep me from immediately dying of hypothermia
>>
>>596227
ferro rods are literally nigger tier fire source.
they are the hardest possible means to light a fire of all modern tools. i can light a fire with a match or a lighter ten times more easy especially if i have a candle at hand.

they have an advantage when all your shit is soaking wet but otherwise it's just so you can feel like a caveman for a lot of monies.
>>
>>596672
>Less than $5 for a ferro rod
>a lot of monies
>>
>>596672
>lot of monies

They cost a few bucks...
>>
>>596672
Alright.
How many matches do you carry?
Got a lighter? How much butane left?
Gas lighter? Empties itself within a few weeks and animals can smell you coming for miles.

If you believe making fire with a ferrocerium rod is hard then I can't help you. But try making fire without one after your matches are gone.
>>
>>596684
ferro rods get eroded too it's not like they last very well. i have seen them shaved in half just during a review.
>>596679
>>596680
not a good one that last you and actually useful, try $50!

the thing is lighting your first fire is hardest especially with a ferro rod. lighting subsequent fires is either a non issue if you can tend to it or keep ember and also a lot easier already having char material.

so that is why ferro rods are fun toys but not really a good long term solution unless they are huge and super expensive.
>>
>>596688
Even a cheap ferro rod will do the job reliably. It's just less sparks, but they are just as hot.

If a reviewer wear down half a ferro rod in one review then he really put his back into it. Those things last hundreds of fires.

If you're paying more than $20 for a large high grade ferro rod then you are being ripped off. Try to find one less tactical, you don't need a cheapass compass when making fire.
>>
>>596692
low quality ferro rods will make hot sparks but they will live for a split second and will ignite nothing remotely wet they will also produce small sparks and a few. they are excellent at igniting char-cloth and that's it.

a lighter of average capacity will light you not hundreds of fires but even a thousand with almost zero effort, it costs a shocking $1 and if you buy a piezzo it even works soaking wet.

only thing that will kill your fire with a lighter is strong wind but if you can't build a windshield you are fucked anyways.

price wise multiple everything by 2 for me cause i live in a suck ass country. also most people don1t talk about the big rods when they talk about ferro, just the pocket shit that is really like $5.
>>
>>596714
>a lighter of average capacity will light you not hundreds of fires but even a thousand with almost zero effort
Smoker here and that is just not right.
>>
>>596716
varsity smoker here; it most certainly is right

Relatively speaking, $5 will buy you 5 Bics (sometimes 6 if you catch the +1 special) that will last you, collectively, at least half a decade

And then, guess what?

Even spent bics serve as a portable handheld spark thrower
>>
dont forget to cut out a small hole to mount a small digital clock that you can see from the outside. then, show it off at school to all your friends and teachers.
>>
>>596714
>a lighter of average capacity will light you not hundreds of fires but even a thousand with almost zero effort

>zero effort
Have you ever lighted a fire in other than perfect conditions?

Tinder is placed on the bottom so that the heat from it dries and lights the kindling above and around it. How do you light the tinder with a Bic? What happens is that tinder and fine kindling burns slowly from the side where you lighted it and fire never reaches the temperature necessary to light the bigger kindling.

Real outdoorsmen prefer matches and firesteel. Matches can be sticked between the kindlings or dropped in the middle of tinder. Firesteel can be even easier if you have good tinder, but generally nothing beats the matches.

A Bic, not perfectly dry wood, some wind and rain, cold hands, and soon you'll have, not a fire but an empty bic and burned fingertip.

Where an experienced ferro rod user fails, experienced Bic user fails too. One still has a fire lighting device for later use.

>>596746
>Even spent bics serve as a portable handheld spark thrower
People here seem to have trouble using a full sized ferro rod. How are they supposed to light a fire with an empty Bic?
>>
>>596776
>How are they supposed to light a fire with an empty Bic?
They aren't. This is just to carry something in your pocket that allows you to feel superior in spite of mounting evidence to the contrary.
>>
File: removekebab.jpg (53 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
removekebab.jpg
53 KB, 520x390
guys, keep in mind the survival tin isn't supposed to replace all your cool /out/-stuff. it supposed to hold the stuff you could need for an emergency-situation.
mine holds ~5m of string, a pocket knife, a bic-lighter, 2x esbit-tablets, 2 tampons , a tea-light and a bin liner ("Gelber Sack" in german)
>>
>>596784
Get a real candle. They last much longer.
>>
File: nofucksgiven.jpg (53 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
nofucksgiven.jpg
53 KB, 604x604
>>596784
i might add water-purification-tablets and a chemlight. on the other hand, the tin is for my car, where i have a flashlight and a few bottles of water anyway...
>>
>>596776
>Have you ever lighted a fire in other than perfect conditions?
yup i was quiet the pyroman in my childhood, i don't know shit about primitive fire but matches and lighters i know.
>>
Every now and then I got to ford a river in the middle of the sticks. When doing so you open all belts and loose the straps on your backpack, if the current gets the better of you, you can drop your pack and at least don't drown.
Before I cross I make sure to got my map pouch, compas, sak, bic, e-lite and a space blanket on me. That way I could make it trough the night and reach the nearest hut the next day. Potable water is usually plenty where I walk.
Never lost my pack so far, but better safe than sorry.
>>
>>596791
dude i have been able to carry a sunken 4 person glass-fiber kenu to shore alone when it sank on me.

there is no way a backpack will make you drown in fact if it's water tight or if the canvas material gets wet it might hold an air bubble and make you float.
>>
>>596794
>all rivers are exactly the same
>I have crossed one, I can cross any of them in exactly the same way
>>
>>596794
>there is no way a backpack will make you drown
No, the current will make you drown, the pack just doesn't help with it. I cross mountain streams, not very deep, but the current is massive. I wouldn't want to go down and bump my head against all the boulders.
Dunno, it is standard procedure to loosen all belts before you ford.
>>
>>596776
so here is a better set than a ferro rod:
>1 lighter (preferably piezzo)
>1 wick soaked in wax
>1 aluminium pipe that acts as a choke for the wick
you quickly light the wick, and stop using the lighter if will get flame very easily hell you might even light it with the "firesteel" of the lighter alone
you adjust the flame for your needs and use the wick to light your kindling, then push forward the aluminum tube to choke it out for later use.

you can literally light thousands of fires with this even if the conditions are harsh and you can always make new wick from your clothes or fibrous material and fats / resin / beeswax if you start to run short.
you will of course try to maintain an ember between fires or at least dry char material at the ready that quickly catches ember and can be used as an ignition source for tinder.
>>
>>596797
watch this guys video if you need a visual demonstration of what i'm talking about.
he uses a ferro rod a lot, but you can get a sense of how limited it's use would be in certain situations without forward planning and additional items. in fact you could just as easily live without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPigQdfcBU

i have a smallish ferro rod in my kit as a last resortof course but what i have also is matches, storm matches, a lighter and multiple kinds of ready tinder that can be ignited by spark.
>>
>>596797
>1 lighter (preferably piezzo)
I'm a lifelong chain smoker. Two things:
1. Never start to smoke.
2. Piezo's are unreliable shit.
>>
>>596801
i never heard about them being unreliable before, but i found lots of discussions about it.
i would have expected they can still serve out their load lifespan.
anyways firesteel lighters are good too but they might need to kept dry or drying before use.
for the times when your lighter does not actually work you can always have some waterproofed matches as backup. just dip them in wax that is all it takes.
>>
>>596819
>i would have expected they can still serve out their load lifespan.
half the time the piezo gives up before the gas runs out, and thats for a bic piezo, others are worse.
Go for the standard bic, its about the as good as it gets for a disposable lighter. You can dry them out fast if needed and even without gas they still produce a good spark.
>>
>>596824
you just saved me from ever trying out a piezzo lighter anon.
i have an edc lighter cause you never know when you run into stuff that needs to be set on fire, but i'm gonna put one in my kit too.
i just wanted one that is more robust and harder to press accidentally. in a kit a lighters level might be pressed by other stuff and you lose gas.two ways to avoid that making it a sheath is one the other is buying a lighter that is child safe.
>>
>>596827
sorry forget the "child safe" part apparently every lighter in existence is "child safe" wtf man...
>>
>>596827
Piezo only creates a tiny spark. You need serious wind protection and must keep your lighter warm.

The mechanism itself is nigh indestructible, but of course they make it out of plastic and design it so that it breaks eventually. What would we sell if anything lasted forever?

And unlike a ferrocite and steel rasp design piezo needs a precise sudden force delivered by a spring which is brought under tension by pressing the button. So once it's broken there's little you can do to fix it.

It's the cheapest way to make a throwaway lighter spark. It is near useless without volatile gaseous fuel.
>>
>>596827
You can secure the the gas valve with a ranger band, also doubles as a fire starter.
>>
Heres another opinion on BIC's
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.ch/2014/07/ferro-rod-vs-bic-lighter.html
>>
>>596830
fucking hell i found windproof zippo butane lighters (which would absolutely be perfect) but they are expensive as fuck cost 4-5 times as a standard model.
>>
>>596832
The most autistic "review" I've seen for a long time. In reality no one cares how many thousand fires can be made. A firesteel is a survival item and /out/ people use it so that they know how to use it when they have to, or simply because it's fun. You can tell by one look if you have a tool that will work 100% every time. With most Bics you can't even see if there's any gas left.

Bics can not be trusted. The gas can leak out and the frame can break in extreme cold. "How many lighters have you broken?" None, because it's takes less than a second to light a cigarette. The lighter is always warm and dry.

In real survival situation the plastic gets brittle, melted snow freezes inside the mechanism and it breaks when you press the button.

And how, how on earth you operate a lighter with gloves on or with frozen hands?

"Try scraping some birch bark into fine shavings, or pulling apart jute twine, or making fine feather sticks. Tell me if those motions are less fine that using a lighter."

They are. I can make shavings as long as I can hold a knife. And I have to do shavings and feather sticks if I want fire.
>>
Whats the name of the little gerber knife in OP?
>>
>>596875
GDC hook knife
>>
>>596844
Stop shitposting.
>>
>>596844
>>596976
thank you

For those of us not braving everest, BICs will be adequate 99% of the time. If it's not, you're probably fucked anyways.

That said, I believe in 3 sources of fire/light/water/shelter, though the latter two can be tricky to achieve without mondo excess.

The way I see it, if the bic isn't working then I have weatherproof matches/butane lighter/magnifying glass/flint&steel/etc to fall back on. Hell, my favorite is a freshly filled classic Zippo with a SPARE butane insert (also full). Between those alone I've got it soundly covered.

Bics are indestructible, can be easily 'locked' to prevent leakage, and I only take out translucent ones who's gas level can be gauged by shining a light behind it to silhouette the fuel inside.
>>
>>596844
i have lighted hundreds of fires the times i used a feather-stick: 0, the times i used a ferro-rod: 0, lighters that broke in my hands: 0

the plastic might get brittle and all that jazz, that is why you always have multiple ingition source and you should replace the lighter in your kit every year because they don't last forever. ferro rods also have plastic handle that gets brittle over time or simple dislodges making it very difficult in a survival scenario to light a fire with them. some people just remove factory handles and put on a ducktape knob or bring ducktape with them for this very reason.

so having a lighter as your primary quick source of fire is never a bad idea having some waterproofed and even storm matches is not a bad idea either but you must try to conserve them as much as you can, finally having a ferro rod in kit as a last resort is okay if it fits in your kit and the weight is manageable for you but you shouldn't use it unless you have to ie lighter broke and you are out of matches.
>>
>>596985
aren't zippos evaporate their fuel all the time?
is there a way to prevent this?
i don't want anything in my kit that leaks fuel and smells everything up and gets dry and useless over time.
>>
>>596844
>With most Bics you can't even see if there's any gas left.
>>596985
>and I only take out translucent ones who's gas level can be gauged by shining a light behind it

you can just shake them and pretty accurately gauge how much fuel left by sound and feel. you can tell at least if it's near empty half full or full for sure.
>>
File: 001.jpg (81 KB, 919x598) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
81 KB, 919x598
>>597062
>i have lighted hundreds of fires the times i used a feather-stick: 0
I guess that makes you an expert on the subject.

>having a ferro rod in kit as a last resort is okay if it fits in your kit and the weight is manageable for you but you shouldn't use it unless you have to ie lighter broke and you are out of matches.

It's dumb to carry a ferro rod as a last resort if you haven't practiced with it in different conditions.

>>597066
>just shake them and pretty accurately gauge how much fuel left by sound and feel.
Yup, its empty. That's very comforting in a surval situation.
>>
>>597169
Ok, so no bic's on mount everest. For everything else they are the best solution. Now go fuck a Yeti.
>>
>>597063
they don't 'leak' fuel like, "oh shit my fuel leaked over everything!"

They fuel leaks via evaporation. It happens because zippos are not hermetically sealed. It's not messy, but it means classic zippos are not ideal for long term fire needs.

The easiest/BEST solution to this is to buy a Thunderbird butane insert of amazon. Their cheap, refillable, windproof, and last FOREVER on a butane charge. Certainly doesn't leak. Effectively transforms a zippo from an antiquated pain in the ass to 21st century fire baby! Plus, you get to keep your sexy zippo shell!
>>
>>597169
>It's dumb to carry a ferro rod as a last resort if you haven't practiced with it in different conditions.

nobody said don't practice, just don't fuck up / wear out your kit rod, that's all i'm saying if you ever gonna actually need it it should be in top condition. practice with an other one like i said it's fun and you get to feel like a caveman for some bucks.
>>
>>597169
>Yup, its empty. That's very comforting in a surval situation.
you would be a special kind of moron not to check at home before you go out but when you need it...
>>
>>596985
>For those of us not braving everest, BICs will be adequate 99% of the time. If it's not, you're probably fucked anyways.
but that's the point of carrying survival gear. what happens on your hundredth trip. oh i see, you're fucked!

>>597223
>you would be a special kind of moron not to check at home before you go out
you could forget to pack the lighter altogether and it wouldn't make you a moron, more like a normal human being.

if the lighter is a part of a small survival kit that never gets used, why check it every time? if the gas valve gets pressed once it may take years to realize the lighter is empty.

it's funny how normal city dwellers, girls included, can understand the reasoning behind ferro rod and have no problem using it. here in /out/ everyone seems to think it's an impractical way to start a fire, a gimmick sold to zombie survivalist, something as effective as rubbing two sticks together. after having a bad experience with a ferro rod has it ever crossed your mind that you may just be too dumb to figure out how to use it?
>>
>>597248
>but that's the point of carrying survival gear. what happens on your hundredth trip. oh i see, you're fucked!
Buy every 20 trips or so a new Bic?
>>
>>597248
>but that's the point of carrying survival gear. what happens on your hundredth trip. oh i see, you're fucked!
no unless you are a moron, you replace your emergency lighter when it's half full. just shake it you will feel it / hear it. it's not gonna deplete in hundred trips tho. unless you are using it to smoke too or use it for excessively long periods.

also why the fuck would you use your kit lighter on a trip? just spend an other dollar for an edc lighter and leave your fucking emergency lighter alone, replace it every year ie make the old one your edc and buy a new one for the kit.

seriously this is like 1+1.
>>
>>597248
>here in /out/ everyone seems to think it's an impractical way to start a fire, a gimmick sold to zombie survivalist,
gee i wonder why? maybe because it is. it's an emergency tool when all else fails you it's just the irony that low quality ferro rods can easily fail you and require a lot more skill than any other modern means of fire.

using a ferro rod to light fires teaches you a lot about making fire because it's friggin hard. doesn't mean you got to make your life harder by using it when you got a match or a lighter which are a hundred times better.

and especially not means that in a survival situation you should want to use a ferro rod as your one and only option aside from rubbing sticks together and praying for lightning.
>>
File: SAM_1142.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1142.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>595612
>>
>>595612
I use one for my repair kit. Keeps all my needles and thread and duct tape and seam sealer in one place.
>>
>>596794
>kenu
Besides, it's pretty hard to truly sink a canoe, short of loading it with hundreds of pounds of shit.
>>
>>596819
Peizo is shit because it has a ton of moving parts; a spring, a hammer, a crystal, a housing, button, wires to carry the current.
If anything goes wrong, it won't light. A flint consists of 3 parts; a flint, a striker wheel, and a spring. A lot less to go wrong.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>595663
They make pocket grinders. They're business-card-size cheese graters.
>>
>>595663
>>595656
>>598280

>grinding
>not just using your hands
>>
>>598093
it's air bubbles on front and back were fucked previously and the morons i sit in it with made the side go under waterline and fell in.

it sank fast but since it was a borrow i couldn't let it go, so i tugged it to shore as a kid. i was like 11 or 12 maybe less.
>>
>>598098
think of it this way, if you got a lighter and the ignition is fucked you can pretty much light it with anything that makes even a tiny spark...

even when you are unable to light anything.

lighters are awesome, especially purpose made survival lighters which is actually thing.

i found some for around 3 eur they have a lid and a safety lock that prevents gas leak when not in use and are storm-proof jet type that will stay alight in wind and rain.
>>
>>598384
i once had two lighters one empty and one with fucked ignition, guess what they worked fine together.

if you are a group and every one of you have a lighter it's impossible not to make full use of them even if one or two gets crapped. same if you have an emergency lighter in your kit, and an edc lighter in your pockets one of them will most likely work.
>>
File: 1358275301061.jpg (175 KB, 792x1188) Image search: [Google]
1358275301061.jpg
175 KB, 792x1188
>>595694
You forgot the beer.
>>
>>598482
>diuretics
not even once!
>>
>>596684
>Gas lighter? Empties itself within a few weeks and animals can smell you coming for miles.
>animals can smell you coming for miles.
>>
>>596684
i have news for you
animals can smell you coming from miles in the right conditions but definitely from half a mile of course exact distance and if the animal gives a fuck depends on many things and what kind of animal.
>>
File: 20150925_181705.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
20150925_181705.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>595933
>>595938
here is updated picture, phone took pretty bad pictures this time... any suggestions what to add maybe? the pack is nearly full with this stuff and most of the weight comes from the water and the axe.

>fiskars x7
>mora companion f
>us-mil pattern canteen + stainless steel cup
>ferro rod + matches + tampons
>rescue whistle
>paracord 10m + duct tape 10m
>2 paper tissues
>bandaids
>pocket sewing kit
>flashlight (led)
consumables for 1st day:
>2 l water
>2 pcs protein bar
edc (not actually part of kit):
>letherman skeletool cx
>lighter
>>
>>598894
forgot
>zip ties 20 pcs big 30 pcs smaller
>condoms*
>activated carbon pills 10 pcs

*they are gonna get replaced tho with unlubricated is just need to find some

what i plan to throw in some water filtration system maybe and definitely something to disinfect with. a small motorbike type first aid kit if i find a cheap one (till then the car has one already).

it all started as a one day kit but it needs very little to sustain you some more mainly some means to get fresh water cook and tend wounds, some extra meds maybe, a small tarp perhabs.
>>
>>598894
originally i wanted to group them into categories like
immediate survival 1st day (maybe stuck in the car at winter):
>space blankets/bags, water, food, flaslight, fire, whistle
tools to build shelter, cook and boil water (i left the car because it was exposed):
>axe, knife, paracord, ducktape, canteen and steel cup
convenience (small stuff that never hurts to have):
>sewing kit, a fishing kit maybe, multi-tool, lighter, bandaids, tissues, snacks

but the gear does not fit like that, putting them all in is kinda like playing tetris and i don't want a bigger bag, it's just fine for my car and can be easily carried in hand or with a strap.
>>
>>595822
Paperclips as a frame to hold the lense, and I'm not really reliant on a compass in the winter because the sun is always in the south(don't have a small one anyways), but I think I'll throw in a needle and magnet. Bank line sounds good too.
>>
File: possibles kit.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
possibles kit.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>595612
I hate the term survival kit, for em it's just a hand tin of 'stuff' I can throw in a backpack for afternoon in the woods. I don't need all of the scary ass zombie chopping tools. there is enough in here to keep me entertained and keep me comfortable outside if I had to spend the night out in most circumstances too
>>
>>595612
Deez nutz
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-09-28-12-42-43.png (304 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-28-12-42-43.png
304 KB, 720x1280
This seems like a relevant thread instead of starting my own. What do you guys think of this? I'm looking to get a big kit to keep strapped down in the back of the Jeep (on the inside) and am wondering what you fellas might suggest. Pic related, this is just the first cheap one I saw. Hoping to keep it under $200 (broke college kid, but do a lot of camping, snowboarding, fly fishing, kayaking, and cross country mountain biking).
>>
>>600852
>buying a first aid kit for your jeep
why don't you have a first aid kit in your car in the first place?
>>
File: Snapchat--6072637020488246179.jpg (340 KB, 720x1184) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat--6072637020488246179.jpg
340 KB, 720x1184
>>600854
I do, but I want a larger one. I have an old Army one from papa anon I got in high school but, kind of like what >>600858 had mentioned...it looks so sexy. I love the look of having a huge first aid kid strapped into the back (especially if some real shit happens out inna woods when we're doing back country boarding or something). Pic is all I keep in the /out/mobile right now (plus an old wool Army blanket). Working on it though.
>>
>>600823
Add:
first, a proper compass. this is the most important thing in any "survival kit".

1 or 2 extra AAA batteries
plastic sheet for rain cover
bank line foir said rain cover and for building other stuff.
another lighter (bic)
fishing gear (or is that green thing a fishing kit?.)
3 more needles (they weight nothing and you can lose one easily)
maybe another knife, smaller in case you lose the opinel.

lose the can-opener-spoon and that pos sharpener. they're useless in any real survival situation.
>>
>>600875
>compass
>most important
fuck no it's not, quality compass is expensive and it gets ruined easily after time every compass will develop bubbles that makes it unreliable especially the compact ones.

some compass are by design not affected by the bubbles some have built in pressure equalizers, but those are fuck expensive not the usual plastic shit.

unless you have a map your compass is no better than dead reckoning or going by sun and stars.
>>
>>600875
A P38 or P51 can opener is a great addtional to a survival kit and weights next to nothing. The cominbation spoon/can opener its a bit silly though
>>
>>600881
What are your thoughts on this one:
http://smile.amazon.com/SE-CC4580-Military-Lensatic-Sighting/dp/B001ID4ZY0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443466110&sr=8-3&keywords=military+compass
>>
>>600884
military compasses like this are overweight a lot
i had one altho russian made not exactly like this. they can do everything frankly but not as well as a sylva sighting compass they are cheap as fuark at least and fairly durable.
pros:
1) cheap, 2) works
cons:
1) heavy 2) small 3) usually not as accurate as it could be 4) mil-s are mostly useless unit for civilians 5) they are designed to go with military maps which you won't have most likely 6) bulky
>>
>>600893
Thank you for replying. I picked one of these up but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Off top, its definitely heavy (maybe a pound) but seems sturdy. I chose this over a smaller unit for 2 reasons:
1. I wanted a compass with sights for accurate readings when recording features of the land/trails and general navigation.
2. Some part of me figured that the smaller compasses were would fall apart more easily and or wouldn't give as accurate readings.

I have no experience with a compass, but I know there's good supplemental instructions on the web. (the ones that came with it are awful). I 100% plan to pick up a map of my local area as well as other areas i might visit.

Would you recommend a different compass for a beginner user or is this one okay?
>>
>>600900
i think it should be okay just impractical compared to good civilian models
it's too small for real convenient map work and not see through which makes it more cumbersome
anything smaller is literally useless
it's like a military folding spade compared to a real spade does the job but sucks at it.
>>
>>600915
Cool, so the size is good but improve upon the weight and quality. Thanks friend
>>
>>600924
you do realize this was meant to be a foot soldiers tool in case he needed to navigate based on his mil map or call in artillery strike.
today this piece of equipment is completely outdated and subpar to just about anything.

sill if you have one of these and a good map you have no excuse if getting lost.

watch these and then decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkjCo0A96yU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcnTvADEZY
>>
>>600985
The more I talk to you guys, the more I feel I bought an overweight compass whose features I may never utilize. Thank you for the videos, I will watch them and get back to you guys regarding my decision
>>
>>600990
you kinda did, military stuff is generally lower quality cheap mass produced crap compared to civilian shit but also tends to be more durable allow more rough handling and if breaks anyways cheaply replaceable.

this compass you bought knows everything you need just learn to use it. getting north or any general direction from a compass is not what this is for at all, that shit can be had from a button compass or looking at the sky.

this compass can be used to plot a course determine position distance to objects and a lot of shit. sadly you will never call in a good shelling with it but life is hard innawoods.

if you have lots of money i would recommend against buying it if you already bought it it's good to learn compass work.
>>
File: hobo.jpg (251 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hobo.jpg
251 KB, 1024x768
>>600875
guys I said it ISN'T a survival kit, it's just a bunch of stuff I carry around for an afternoon out. if i cant be bothered lugging pack full of gear and want to do a bit of rock fishing or if I find a stream

>first, a proper compass. this is the most important thing in any "survival kit".

don't need it for an afternoon out, if I really 'needed' to know which was was north, I have ABC function on my wristwatch

>1 or 2 extra AAA batteries

don't need extra batteries- that's a Fenix EO1, it has a 21 hour burn time from a single AAA battery, I'm lucky if I get through one battery a year in it.

>plastic sheet for rain cover

don't need, and impractical to carry in this context. I might get wet, big deal.

>bank line foir said rain cover and for building other stuff.

there is 25m of 12lb fishing line, and another 25m of 30lb braised fishing line in the kit if I need it- why bank line ? 'muh dav canturbury'

>another lighter (bic)

why? there is already one in there, and a ferro rod/magnesium bar in the kit with 4 different types of tinder (magnesium shavings, tinder quicks, esbit cubes and a live fire tin) and a flat packing stove for the esbit cubes

>fishing gear (or is that green thing a fishing kit?.) matchcase is a complete fishing kit- see pic

>3 more needles (they weight nothing and you can lose one easily)

why?!?! I'm not slipshod with my gear, but I may add another smaller needle

>maybe another knife, smaller in case you lose the opinel.

why would I lose it? as for smaller, it's an Opinel 5, anything smaller would be pretty pointless

>lose the can-opener-spoon and that pos sharpener. they're useless in any real survival situation.

the knife sharpener gets used along with the knife itself more than any other part of the kit

>>600882
the can opener is gimmicky but it was a freebie, I keep meaning to swap it out for a P38 but keep forgetting
>>
>>595612
What is the knife in this pic?
>>
>>601060
>if I really 'needed' to know which was was north
>don't need extra batteries
>I might get wet, big deal.
>why bank line ?
>why would I lose it? (opinel)
I don't know what to tell you.

>guys I said it ISN'T a survival kit
Yet you carry around a signal mirror, a whistle and a ferro rod.

btw E01 burns less than 10 hours with a FRESH battery.
>>
>>600882
To be fair, the extra inch provides a fair bit of bonus leverage.
>>
>>598380
>Getting all the thc all over your fingers
No thanks
>>
>>602176
the trichomes will stick to whatever you rub them on, whether it's your fingers or the metal surfaces of your grinder.
>>
>>601012
I appreciate the insight. I'll definitely use this compass to learn and practice with. I laughed at the shelling in the woods remark but you're absolutely right. In time I'll figure out what features of a compass i really need and if its worth the weight compromise of keeping this compass or purchasing a lighter model. Thanks again

>>601420
Correct. I think the names are derived from the amount of cranks needed to open the can but I may be wrong. I purchased 2 P51s and have them taped together in my BOB. Those things are sharp as hell, don't want em floating around your bag
>>
>>601091
its the Gerber GDC money clip knife
>>
>>595612
>SAK (with knife and saw would be best)
>fluorocarbon fishing line (will not degrade as fast as mono + also for stitching up large gashes)
>5 fish hooks
>iodine (in a small vial) ->disinfectant and water purifier
>large bic lighter
>some wire
>little bit of rolled up duct tape
>needle
>ziploc bag
>little bit of gauze
>then polish up the inside of the can to make a good reflector
>>
>>596776
>Real outdoorsmen prefer
stopped reading
>>
>>596794
most backpacks are nowhere near water tight. If you fall in water with saomething other than a drysack, it will fill with water and drag you down.
>>
>>597248
>stop liking what i don't like
>>
>>600852
this would be useful if you crashed hard enough to hurt yourself, but were still OK enough to patch yourself up. Have some bandages and w/e on you, but stuff like a BVM or trach trach tubes will be useless unless you know how to use them on others.
for a solid normie car kit, carry
>a solid knife
>550 cord or whatever static cordage
>jumper cables
>fix-a-flat
>fire extinguisher (preferaby quickly accessible)
>gloves
>roll of duct tape
>headlamp + spare batteries. not a flashlight
>drinking water
>food that doesn't need to be heated
>a waterproof jacket/poncho
>a few heavy duty garbage bags
>signal mirror/flare gun etc
>>
>>600881
>be lost
>know you got lost north of townsville
>use compass to keep a consistent bearing south
>your path intersects with a road
>find civilization
>>
>>602260
you can retrieve them from grinders by dissolving in alcohol.
>>
>>606076
if you need a compass to keep to south you should never leave your home seriously

compass can do a great deal of shit for you if you don't have a gps but seriously consider killing yourself if you need a compass for general north south directions.
>>
>>606330
>if you need a compass for general north south directions.
It depends on where you are. It's not always enought to head "general north south". In sparsely populated areas you can die before you find the road.
On a cloudy day it's impossible to tell where the directions are. In the early morning and late evening it's usually clear, but how are you going to travel during the day, without a compass?

Then there are the people who don't know what north or south means. They think south means warm and north cold. Following your reasoning more than half of all Americans should seriously consider killing themselves.
>>
>>606338
dunno it's enough for me if i know what NS when i start walking
no matter how i turn around i will know where N is.
>>
>>595612
use drug dealer dime baggies and soak the cotton balls in vaseline and put them in the baggies
>>
>>596157

Try breast milk ziplocs. Nearly as small as condoms, far stronger, bigger, and less icky.

Doug Ritter's site www.equipped.org is pretty definitive, even though it hasn't been updated in years.
>>
>>596688

"Shaved"? Are you sure you don't mean magnesium rods?

Ferrocerium rods are used in lighters, too. If they failed so fast, all the more reason to have a spare. But they don't
>>
>>606997
There's two grades of ferro rod, A Soft, higher magnesium content, and a hard, higher iron content one.
>>
>>595694
>mirror
>not polishing the metal tin
Idiot
>>
>>595633
>bear minimum
>bear
stopped reading there
>>
>>607686
diamond dozen post right here, folks.
>>
>>607686
>>607721

Literally kek'd irl for a good 5 minutes - thanks anons
>>
>>607721
Awe, Ricky don't make fun of the dumb bastards ya dumb bastard.
>>
>>595612
Replace ibuprofen with an antibiotic.
>>
>>596776
As a heavy smoker I can assure you lighters are a lot easier to use in bad conditions than matches.
>>
>>608810
I know you're trolling, and I know I'm taking the bait, but that is a seriously shitty idea.
>>
>>608816
Yeah, but matches don't leak gas over time. And stormproof matches work just as well, if not better than, any lighter in shitty conditions.
>>
>>608822
Why is it a shitty idea? Ibuprofen is a weak pain killer which is going to make very little difference if your seriously injured. Antibiotics fight infections which could kill you.
By "an antibiotic" I meant a weeks course.
>>
>>608824
A decent lighter won't leak much gas and will last months. I strongly think it's easier to use a lighter in the wind/rain but fair enough if you disagree.
>>
>>608826
Because you can't fit enough antibiotics into an altoids tin to be useful, and that's not even accounting for the fact that it's impossible to know beforehand what bug you'll get, so there's no guarantee that whatever flavor of antibiotic you pack would be effective.
Ibuprofen is useful for fighting a fever from an infection, and can help relive the pain of a sprained/broken ankle enough to walk out on your own potentially.
>>
>>608909
Remove powder from capsules and compress into a small baggie. 10g or slightly less would be a weeks dose. You could even take less which would at least slow the spread of the infection and might even completely get rid of it in a few days. Amoxicillin would be very usefull for animal bites or general cuts that may get infected. Ibuprofen, whilst it will reduce a fever, is going to do fuck all if you brake your ankle. Most people can deal with a bit of pain whereas an infection can kill you.

Also quite a few plants could be used for pain relief.
>>
>>608932

Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory, pretty fucking useful if you ask me. That said diclofenac is what, 20x more potent? I would pack that instead, if space is an issue.
>>
I make a lot of those as ahobby. It is a great, useful and affordable. There is no point of having a giant kit if you endup not carying it around with you. If it does not fit in your pocket you endup leaving in the tent, or car. The can can be used as a backup or primary survival kit. So that is the first thing you need to decide before you start chosing what to bring
>>
>>595748
Candles work on wet wood and you won't burn your hands.
>>
Off the top of my head, how about
- small folding knife
- mini bic lighter
- super glue
- cash monies
If any space still left maybe
- water tabs
- some type of cordage
>>
>>608827
depends on temperature and how frozen your ass is
if you have no fine motor skills then ferro rod with highly flammable tinder is best probably
if your hands work just fine then lighter is best and if your lighter crapped on you then you can still use the matches
i would bring all 3
>>
>>596684
>Got a lighter? How much butane left?

Bic lighter + candle combo. I have never run out of gas while /out/ and I carry a spare.
The only problem I've encountered is that lighters don't work too good at high altitudes, but that's what high-altitude lighters are for.
>>
>>609805
in high altitudes where lighters refuse to work what exactly can you use as fuel?
i don't think there are trees there not even goat shit
>>
>>609817
You shouldn't be sleeping up that high in this situation.

Anyway, I used to carry these things in my tool belt for work:
nylon cord
compass
magnesium+ferro rod
small first aid kit (blister+splinters)
DEET (99%)
waterproof sunscreen
I also had a 1L bottle inside a metal cup, inside a bottle pouch on the webbing. Also carried a machete (work related), a pocket knife, ID, and handkerchief. There really isn't much you need in the woods to survive the night if you know what you're doing. I did it with just a fire early one fall.

safety pin
splinter pickers
large bandaids
waterproof first-aid tape
bacitracin ointment
I expanded the first aid kit to include benzoine compound, cloth tape and gauze pads (knife wounds), and a small pointy syringe. I apply waterproof sunscreen or bug spray before I leave the truck, but it doesn't hurt to keep a small tube handy in case I forget. Maybe the first aid kit would fit in an altoids tin if you had a small enough container for the benzoine, and wrapped the tape on a pencil nub or something.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.