[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fly fishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 53
File: 0041.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
0041.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>tfw no FLY fishing thread
anyone?
>>
Fly fishing is one of my passions, but I'm working In Oklahoma now. Hopefully, I'll get up to Colorado next weekend to fish a little bit.

>>581902
Where are you? What do you fish for?
>>
>>581902
Hello. Currently targeting Bass on the surface in several Ontario tributaries
>>
>>581902
I live in Montana and am gonna fish the Blackfoot this week. Thanks for making a FF thread
>>
I'm looking to get into fly fishing. I have been fishing my whole life but never fly fishing. Right now I use baitcasters for bass. Any suggestions for a first timer fly rod/setup?
>>
File: fishing 001.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
fishing 001.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>581949
There is fly fishing in OK. Broken Bow and Blue River, to name a few. And that's only if you insist on only fishing for trout. You can fly fish for Bass as well.
>>
File: wooly_bugger_olive.jpg (30 KB, 770x542) Image search: [Google]
wooly_bugger_olive.jpg
30 KB, 770x542
>>582491
Depends on what you're fishing for. For bass you should shoot for an 8 weight rod/reel. I'm partial to Sage rods and Ross reels myself. Orvis apparently sells some decent gear at good prices (but they also have overpriced stuff as well so do your homework).

As for flys, start out with some wooly buggers, clouser minnows, and some frog poppers. Bass seem to really like light green for some reason. Prolly a cannibalistic thing I guess.
>>
>>582491
>>582518
I'm in a similar boat. I've been trout fishing for a while now, and I'm hoping to pick up fly fishing sometime. I'm just not ready to make the investment in the equipment yet.
>>
>>582518
a reel is a reel and a rod is a rod, fly fishing is about presentation.

ignore that first half
>>
File: hopper.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hopper.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
>>582518
larger terrestrials work great as well usually a hopper pattern, also black bunny leaches with or with out bead head depending on amount of sink
>>
>>582678
>>
File: BeadHeadBunnyleachBlack.jpg (840 KB, 1580x1188) Image search: [Google]
BeadHeadBunnyleachBlack.jpg
840 KB, 1580x1188
>>582679
forgot pic
>>
>>582556
no. the 8wt is a better decision because you will be throwing bigger/bushier flies around and needing a heavier rod and line to get them there not to mention punch throw the wind
>>
File: cae3.jpg (667 KB, 2171x1316) Image search: [Google]
cae3.jpg
667 KB, 2171x1316
>>582684
I think he was referring to the poster going on about Sage rods and Ross reels etc. As in a rod is a rod no matter what brand which isn't necessarily true. Cheap, cheap fly rods and reels are absolute shit and frustrating to learn with.

My rods are all St. Croix and my reels are all Okuma.( >>582210) I have a 6 wt 9', a 8wt 9' and a 8wt 11' switch rod for steelhead. I found St. Croix rods and Okuma reels to be an appropriate balance between quality and price.

I also have an Orvis combo that preforms quite well. I think these setups are great for someone that wants to try throwing flies.

Sage rods cost a little much for beginners IMO
>>
>>582514
Broken Bow and Blue river are pretty far from here. I have nothing against bass, but work keeps me busy 12+ hours a day. Growing up in Maine and then living in Colorado really spoils you when it comes to Trout and Salmon
>>
>>582528
Dude, get an Orvis Clearwater. It's like 150 bucks and its a really good starter rod.
>>
I only flyfish for atlantic salmon. I rarely go though as I'm not partial to that type of fishing. I will only ever go with my father, who loves the sport dearly
>>
>>582810
heres a few midrange rods that are in the $500 area, sold as outfits:
sage approach -comes with case
orvis clearwater -lifettime warranty rod
temple fork BVK -bestvalue
>>
>>582717
6 or 8 on bass ?
>>
Orvis is shit. Please stop recommending overpriced shit brand because you got jew'd into it.

TFO for budget, Sage for quality. Both come with lifetime warranty and will work very well, just match the weight rod with your activity.
>>
>>582904
Oh, I suppose that's why my Helios 2, which costs the same as the high end Sage rods, won:

Best in Class, as judged by the Gear Institute, 2012

Recipient of an Editor's Choice Award from Fly Fusion magazine, 2012

Winner of Fly Fisherman magazine's Best New Rod Series award, 2013

Winner of Men's Journal Gear of the Year Award, 2012.

Winner of American Angler's Gear of the Year Award as one of the best new fly-fishing products chosen by the magazine's editorial staff.

Oh and they are made in the USA, so how about you ease of the moonshine there Jethro, it's 2015, no one cares that you are secretly attracted to men.
>>
>>582972
>projection: the post
why do these people post on our /out/
get out ignorant liberal
>>
>>582994
Why do you hate Orvis? Sage is just as expensive. I think they are about equal in quality and costumer service. I think of Sage as the Orvis of the PNW and Scott as the Orvis of the Rockies. TBH, I would prefer L.L. Bean gear, but they just plain aren't as good.
>>
>>582904
>>583000
I posted that

Orvis - weekend warriors

Sage - professional level

TFO - entry-intermediate level but very high quality for the cost

I could go further into details but I know for a fact I am in the minority.

Reddit advertises Orvis over most other brands because marketing. Orvis makes many items that are grossly overpriced and even then are poor quality. I have yet to see overpriced products from TFO and Sage is arguable on their Rod/Reel prices being a tad excessive.

If you have a TFO BVK, Orvis Helios 2, Sage Method (or Elite even) in your hands and try short-long casts with each; I would be willing to bet that you find the Sage is beyond your expectations while the Orvis is mediocre and the TFO is almost equal to the Orvis rod and if you combine the cost efficiency of the TFO versus Orvis, the decision is simple.

Again, I will get blasted by redditors and Orvis fanboys for my views, but if these same people did more than fish once a month and had more experience with other brands they would not have the opinions they do.

TFO and Sage are not the only options, L.L. Bean can work well too. Almost any brand aside from Orvis I would recommend, but you have to take into consideration who will be using said rod/reel. Are they learning fly fishing; go with a cheap starter (not walmart brand but Cabela or Bass Pro might be a good starting point). Are they fishing 5-7 days a week, invest in a Sage rod or equal higher quality lifetime warranty rod. What type of fishing are they going for, 30 inch redfish or 1/2 lb panfish? So many questions and people blindly say Orvis because they do not know any better.

I would stand behind most fly ROD brands other than Orvis, Pfleuger, and any sub $40 walmart starter set. If you are seriously into fly fishing or want to learn with proper equipment, just make sure your brand carries a lifetime warranty for the ROD; it will break at some point and that will be a learning process.
>>
>>583016
orvis offers higher quality equipment aswell
>>
>>583113
So you don't like Orvis because people shill for them on reddit? I have literally never been to reddit, so I wouldn't know. Also I gave my TFO Lefty Kreh Professional to my little brother and got a Helios II. I disagree with you. The high end Orvis stuff is better than the old Sage Pro Axis and just as good as the Method, and better if you have a faster casting stroke. I still have a TFO BVK 8wt that I use as a back up saltwater rod to my Scott Radian, but you don't need to be a dick just cause you don't like Orvis. I tend to buy from them because I'm from New England and they make the rods in Manchester. All my reels are Bean's except for my 8Wt, which is an Allen.

Tl;dr, there is no need to be upset
>>
>>583199
meant for
>>583016
>>
>>582883
I would go with an 8 wt. Its not about the size of the fish but the size and weight of the fly. For bass you will be using big streamers like wooly boogers and clausers. I have also had success with rubber leg poppers.
>>
File: 1440274491349.png (16 KB, 265x307) Image search: [Google]
1440274491349.png
16 KB, 265x307
>>583016
>pflueger
Hey wait a minute there. I got a little 4 wt. Pflueger rod and reel i use for panfish. It's pretty decent man...
My other Rods are all Reddington.
>>
if you need a starting rod, get an echo, reel is pretty meh in my opinion, what matters is the fly line and leader/tippet. Braided is sex but holds water so don't false cast where you plan on throwing a dry. nymphing and streaming is like meh fishing, takes no skill in the presentation, you just gotta know how to get the wet fly in the water in the zone where the fish is/are. also don't be one of those nigs that thinks he is the bees knees cause fly fish.
>>
>>583216
Sorry bro, my main spin rod is a Pflueger combo and I love it. For fly fishing, I have only seen them in Walmart fly fishing kits that are sub $40 and in my experience brake easily with bad casts come with level line instead of WF or any other type and generally not so good for starters unless really motivated to learn proper casting/technique.

I like Reddington as well, I don't like their waders but the rod/reel combos are not bad at all for their price. I'm sure there are some bad models but overall decent.

>>583279
>what matters is the fly line and leader/tippet
100%, rod and reel will only get you so far. Rod action combined with length and weight will help a lot, but reels are not so significant unless you need to reel in a beast.
>>
>>583419
I disagree a little bit. Line, leader and tippet are super important, but a good line on a bad rod is way worse than a good rod with a bad line. I do agree that unless you are fishing for steelhead, salmon or saltwater gamefish, a reel is just a place to store line.
>>
there is a fishing general, faggot.
>>
>>581902

Not really a great time of year for fly fishing.

>Trout not biting much
>Bass too deep
>Even sunfish too deep

Salmon will be running in a couple weeks but you need super heavy gear for them.

My fly rod is in the garage til April.
>>
>>583868
no pike/muskie around you ?
>>
>>583888
>Pike/Muskie

I'm near some of the best Pike waters in the country (upstate NY) but they're all still deep this time of year. Lakes here are clear with deep thermoclines so the good size pike are often 40+ ft down...not ideal for fly fishing. Spring is best imo.
>>
>>583981
I'm stationed up at drum and had a lot of luck with pike at cape vincent this weekend
>>
>>583868
Gotta try floating some creeks bud.
>>
I just started chasing smallmouth here in SC, and wow they are absolutely one of the most fun fish I've ever caught. I haven't found any really big ones yet but the little ones are plenty of fun on my 3wt.
>>
>>584013
>floating some creeks

What for?
>>
File: 8.17.15.jpg (223 KB, 2262x573) Image search: [Google]
8.17.15.jpg
223 KB, 2262x573
Got a wild hair up my ass to go after carp this year. Haven't looked back. These are stills from my last outing. What a fun, challenging fish.
>>
File: DSC_0177.jpg (265 KB, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0177.jpg
265 KB, 486x500
Last spring was great, cant wait for the waters to cool down again.
>>
>41 posts
>no mention of g loomis
>>
any saltwater fly fishing going on here?

L.I. NY here, landed schoolie blues on deceivers this past Sunday, was great fun
>>
>>583981
protip: pike are never that deep
>>
>>584364
I recommended shitty beginner gear, I roll with a NXT 3 weight with an old adventure reel, shit is as tits as you can get for the smokies
>>
Fish the equipment you can afford, upgrade when you can. I've been doing this for 25 yrs now, salt and fresh all over the world. I must have 30 rods now, even more reels. Numerous quality reel makers these days. For rods, I'm now loyal to Sage but I will say Orvis has a winner with the Helios 2.
>>
File: image_4.jpg (24 KB, 322x406) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
24 KB, 322x406
>>583016

You pay way too much fucking attention to brand names son

I fish a 4wt Orvis access rod because I tried several and liked it best

does that make you angry faggot? You get triggered or something?

Kill yourself
>>
>>582904
Orvis is certainly overpriced but it's NOT shit gear. Sounds like you're just a jelly poorfag.
>>
>>582491
For trout i get the best luck with hoppers, mosquitoes, and red ants (my favorite). If you're going for bass and pike and such though i don't know from experience i've heard you want some big streamers or giant foam grasshoppers and shit like that. And yhea, what the other guy said about rods and reals. Unless you're going after some seriously large fish or have some special casting distance you wanna reach, it don't really matter. I just spent 90$ a couple months ago and have had no problems hitting up lakes and rivers.
>>
>>585852
(just don't get the cheapest hunk of whit wal mart has laying around)
>>
ITT: freshwater fly snobs

>orvis
>sage
>reddington
>tfo

most here probably cant even dbl haul...
>>
>>585855
i got a 15 dollar kit from mardens, a few bead head soft hackles, and some shad darts.

thing fucking slays.
>>
>>586068
such ego, very attitude. did you just learn?
>>
>>586068
>implying a double haul is absolutely necessary to catch fish
>implying a double haul is even hard
>>
Anybody know of good trout spots in northern Oregon? I live in Portland, but would be willing to drive 2-3 hours any given day for the right fishing locale. I'm not outfitted for steelhead or salmon. I'm looking for rainbows, browns, cutthroats, etc. Modest streams.
>>
File: lemur-dead.jpg (76 KB, 514x360) Image search: [Google]
lemur-dead.jpg
76 KB, 514x360
>>587107
same situation but ottawa canada
>pic not related
>>
File: i-NZpm75q-XL.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
i-NZpm75q-XL.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
Boutique fly gear master race checking in.
>>
File: i-LHgSvkt-L.jpg (59 KB, 431x477) Image search: [Google]
i-LHgSvkt-L.jpg
59 KB, 431x477
>>586068
No pissing and moaning about Scott?

And you do realize that TFO and Sage make some damn fine bluewater rods, right?

>>587143
BTW, more Hatch love from a Boutique fly gear master race member.
>>
>>583868
Find a tailwater where the trout never stop feeding and enjoy yourself. There is never a bad time of year to flyswat.
>>
>>583868

Do you not have any stocked lakes/lochs near you?
>>
>>583868
>too deep
getting cold or extreme heat ?
also fly fishing isnt all about dry flies, its about presentation. you need to go deeper try streamers and maybe sink tip
>>
>FLY fishing thread

You mean NO FISH thread?
>>
File: omghng.jpg (18 KB, 236x341) Image search: [Google]
omghng.jpg
18 KB, 236x341
>>587772
its a gentleman's sport, i see you have no respect for those with class
>>
>>587783
I'd rather actually catch fish than be a gentleman. The vast majority of fly fishers are city folk who blow thousands of dollars on gear to go fishing on the weekends and catch one fish if they're lucky.
>>
>>587786
not true
>>
File: august_2015.jpg (62 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
august_2015.jpg
62 KB, 720x540
>>586633
yeah sure, just started fool...
>>
File: overbait.png (90 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
overbait.png
90 KB, 500x501
>>587772

he just threw the whole rod in...
>>
File: 020.jpg (267 KB, 2064x1161) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
267 KB, 2064x1161
From this weekend. Caught this one on a zebra midge I tied myself. The fly got shredded pretty badly, though.
>>
File: 028.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
028.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>587107
...seriously? Steelhead and salmon are fucking huge in Oregon. You should have no trouble at all finding a fly shop to help you get started and/or find a trout river. Tributaries of the Deschuttes river should be good.

If you can, maybe try Olympic National Park in WA. In Southern Oregon you can try the Rogue River or the world famous Umpqua River.
>>
>>588106

>based zebra midge
works every time 60% of the time
>>
File: IMAG0835_1.jpg (990 KB, 1962x2416) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0835_1.jpg
990 KB, 1962x2416
MIfag preparing to go to the west side of the state this weekend to hit the Chinook run coming through. Never caught a salmon on the fly and want to get a beast of a fish that's not a pike.

Also no Redington or TFO h8. Redington is a sage company and they make terrific rods and reels. TFO is a solid choice for the price.

Pic is a nice rainbow caught on my TFO.
>>
>>588857
>not using bead head soft hackle.

these things should be fucking illegal.
>>
I've never done fishing in my life but I want to get into it. Is this a good rod? It's £200 off it's price, so it seems to good to be true.

Should I buy it?
>>
>>589141
reddington fly rod/reel combo. best bang for the buck/pound for a intro setup that wont need to be upgraded for a while.
>>
>>589148
I don't think I can get that in the UK.
>>
File: 9879.jpg (65 KB, 726x618) Image search: [Google]
9879.jpg
65 KB, 726x618
>>589156
why not? There's a distributor in derby.
tell them that this is what you want and for them to order it for you. research the price so you know what they generally cost and tell them what you would like to pay. Its a buyers market, these b&m's dont make much money and most are needing business from new comers to the sport. I'm sure they can hook you up (no pun)
>>
>>589168
Everyone wanting to learn modern fly fishing should start with a crosswater honestly. I bought it as my first official rod after dicking around with an old fiberglass one and I don't regret a thing.
>>
>>589148
>>589171
how much am i looking at paying? and should i ask for everything included (reel, line, flies etc.) or just the rod?
>>
>>589220
My whole crosswater package with rod, reel, line, and a decent case was like 120 bucks American. The package comes ready to fish except for flies. You'll have to get flies yourself from a fly shop or online.
>>
File: NOFEESHING.jpg (4 MB, 3274x2414) Image search: [Google]
NOFEESHING.jpg
4 MB, 3274x2414
blah blah blah.
>>
File: 1442002964876.jpg (651 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
1442002964876.jpg
651 KB, 2048x1024
>>584072
Yesterday. 2 more hook ups but broke off my 6.2lb tippet
>>
anyone know any good fall/winter trout / salmon spots in maine?
>>
Whats the difference between fishing with nymphs and wet flys? Is it just that you don't use an indicator and use differently shaped flys?
>>
>>590526
Nymphs are a specific type of fly that imitate that stage of an insects life cycle.Wet just distinguishes the fly from top wawater flies. What people usually refer to as wet flies tend to have longer or bushier hacklesmade with non buoyant materials. Indicators can be used with any fly. There aren't exactly any rules.
>>
>>590946
what do you guys use for indicators? i use red tape.
>>
>>590957
Yarn or foam here. Truthfully, I rarely use them as I don't do much trout fishing. I normally opt for a hopper/popper+dropper if I need an indicator.
>>
>>590946
So you pretty much fish them exactly like you would with a nymph? Why then do dry fly purists look down on nymphs if they're technically more traditional than dry flys?

>>590957
I use this thing called a "thingamabobber." which works pretty well, especially when I have weights on the line. I prefer the ones you can easily adjust the depth for though.
>>
>>590962
Purists liken it to Bobber fishing and they're smug cunts. Truth is, sometimes fish take so subtly you just aren't going to know when to set, especially in murky water or on long casts.
>>
>>590988
i really like the yarn idea
>>
File: IMG_2714.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2714.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Pond fishing with a fly has to be one of my favorite types of freshwater fishing
>>
>>582528
Big walmarts have a pflueger setup for like 40 bucks that I've caught fish with.

Is it a rod that you'll hand down to your grandson who'll cherish it for his entire life?

No.

Can you catch fish with it?

Yes.
>>
>>582717
Got a wally world rod that wasn't too bad for learning....... just saying.
>>
>>583216
Pflueger USED to be good shit,

Then they started making their shit in japan.

Old pflueger is good pflueger.
>>
File: IMG_20150912_202409354.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150912_202409354.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
i got my girlfriends kit from mardens.
it was 15 bucks.

I find myself using it all the damn time because of how light it is and nicely it feels. It's a piece of shit Martin but goddamn is this thing fun to fight fish on. I've fought some pretty massive shad on this thing, and it never flinched.
>>
File: IMG_20150912_202430559.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150912_202430559.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>591125
>>591125 (You)
got this rod for 10 bucks without a reel at Mardens, It's a Martin Caddis Creek I got the reel off craigslist for 10 bucks, it's a Cortland Graphite LTD.

Needless to say I haven't done much else anything EXCEPT fly fishing since I got this tackle. I'm absolutely addicted and I will use these until they break. When that happens I'll get a few St. Croix's and maybe some nicer reels.

I do plan on getting a really nice spey setup for striper fishing next spring, but my spinning kits have a lot invested in them.

anyways, point of these posts, if you haven't done it and you want to try it. GO CHEAP. you might hate it, or in my case you might love it.

Thank you based fucking Mardens.
>>
>>591007
Yarn is the the best indicator to use for spooky fish. It doesn't splash or make any real wake when tugged under water. It's a little more of a pain since you have to keep drying it, false casting or applying floatant. I actually use the same concept using strips of foam tied around a rubber gasket with tying thread. They don't get water logged, ever and they land pretty light. The foam football bobbers tend to make a little plop.
>>
File: IMAG0321.jpg (3 MB, 3024x5376) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0321.jpg
3 MB, 3024x5376
Or is BBS I I I 6wt and Clearwater rod. Mainly smallmouth.
>>
File: IMG_2828.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2828.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Topwater flies killing largemouth bass this time of year
>>
>>590446
What the hell do you use to catch carp? I've tried every nymph in my box basically and they ignore everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (291 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291 KB, 528x960
Any steelheaders around? Met this DNR tagged buck on the north shore of Lake Superior back in May, here's a shit quality photo.

I was hoping some of you good folks could throw out some good switch rod recommendations. I've liked all my Sage and Redington rods, but I'm open to any suggestions. Never used a two handed rod before, but I'd like to get into it for a trip to AK next June!
>>
>>592743
Michigan steelhead fag here. Nice fish man. I've always been a one handed guy too and would love to try a switch or spey rod. I was looking at the Redington dually for a bit and apparently it's pretty great for the price.
>>
File: fish.jpg (458 KB, 656x781) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
458 KB, 656x781
Taken on my lunch break today. I like to fuck around at the reservoir in my neighborhood a few times a week. The rod is an old lightweight Fenwick my dad left me.
>>
>>592162
If there are crayfish in the water, clouser swimming nymphs in the closest colors you can. Use stuff they would find on the bottom like grubs, dead fish and their favorite, crayfish. and be very sparing with flash. A couple or 4 strands is enough to get their attention in the mud cloud, but too much will spook them away.
Actually getting them to take is much more reliant on presentation. You need to identify where they are, where they're heading and how fast. Then cast ahead of them so as to not spook them with a splash, and quickly strip your fly to them in the water. I like to leave it just to their side so I can see if they turn toward the fly, in which case they do, I set quickly and get ready for a run. These guys take very subtly. I even had one take with an indicator on and it didn't move!
>>
File: IMG_20150916_114829.jpg (5 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150916_114829.jpg
5 MB, 4096x2304
Went to 10 different rivers today in southern Maine.

Where the fuck are the trout?

Usually this is the best week in the end of summer trout, have had no luck, every year I slay them.
>>
>>593847
I'll keep that in mind. I've always strayed away from crayfish patterns for carp for some reason thinking a smaller nymph would be better. There are some absolute monsters in the rivers around me.
>>
>>594188
For whatever reason they actually prefer smaller crayfish, even the big lake Michigan cows. My best recommendation is something like a sz 6 or 8 scud hook swimming nymph. May be anecdotal but I also only use "peaceful" crayfish for carp. I had some tied with big claws and they never did as well.
>>
Only fish bluegill as I'm starting out. Honestly I have more fun just casting and being out there.
>>
>>582807
Where are you in OK, and what do you do for work that is 12+ hours a day?
>>
>>581902
I need the name of the southernmost River in New England that sees steelhead spawning runs. Southern boy here trying to catch some fat trout on the weekend.
>>
File: fish2.jpg (350 KB, 727x783) Image search: [Google]
fish2.jpg
350 KB, 727x783
Today's lunch break catch

>>583216
Old Pflueger 1495 1/2 medalist here. Works just fine for the limited use I give it.
>>
>>594539
There are no steelhead in New England. They do run in Ohio, New York and Michigan though.
>>
>>594491
Enid. And I'm an Air Force pilot.
>>
File: 1442938811209.jpg (532 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1442938811209.jpg
532 KB, 2048x2048
>>595942
Caught my first and second walleye yesterday at the overflowing creek. They fight like a sunken log. Were great eating size but I don't trust our fishery enough to eat them.
>>
>>597269
Nice fish for a walleye, what did you catch him with?
>>
File: 20150922_115427.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150922_115427.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>597271
Custom minnow. Light wire, down-eye hook with bead chain eyes. White Marabou, short belly. ~4 strands of pearl flash split each side, and the green is an iridescent thread I bought at Joannes as a more durable sub for peacock. Grey backhaul on top. Heavy materials on bottom keeps it riding upright and sets like a jig. I tied them for river smallies but glad to see them getting mileage elsewhere.
>>
>>597281
> backhaul
bucktail
>>
>>597281
That's a serious lure. I am hoping to get into making stuff like this some time in the future. I have been thinking of picking up a started kit from Dicks Sporting Goods, they seem to have some assorted materials with everything I may need. How long have you been doing this?
>>
>>597281
>>597307
I just realized I am not in <><General and in a fly fishing thread. Shit.
>>
>>597310
it's all good bub, we can never have too many fishing threads.
>>
>>597311
The truth.
>>597310
No worries man, you should give the fly a try.
>>
>>597314
Been seriously considering it. I saw a setup at Bass Pro for $35, with no line. Then I saw line and it was another $30.99. Would that be a reasonable setup to start with? Is fly line all that expensive? I honestly haven't put a lot of research into it before asking you guys.
>>
>>597318
Despite what everyone in this thread will likely tell you, some of the combos out there are very good for beginners. I would suggest avoiding the <$50 segment because they're likely all around terrible. Cabela's has the wind river combo for about $80 on perpetual sale. What do you fish for now, or what all do you want to fly fish for?
>>
>>597318
like i stated earlier in the thread.
i picked up my fly rods for about 15 bucks each, backing and line cost around 20-30 bucks depending on what you want.

my rods are pretty bottom of the barrel but they serve extremely well.
>>
File: 20150704_145628.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150704_145628.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Fucking get off work at 6 and sun down is at 7. No more fishing on the weekdays :/
Post some flies and fishes to cheer this late-season-hating SOB up. And if you know whats fishing good around Chicago beside lake salmon and trout, do share.
>>
File: coney.jpg (1 MB, 1817x1433) Image search: [Google]
coney.jpg
1 MB, 1817x1433
>>598315
>>
>>598327
you caught a panfish with a pinecone?
>>
>>598328
#10 Sneaky Pete.
>>
>>598327
My lightest rod is a 4 but I really want to get a short 2 or 3wt for panfish. What do you use?
>>
>>598355
5 but there is no struggle unless you get a really big one. I want a 2 as well. This is mine:

>>594874
>>
What's the appeal of fly fishing over conventional fishing? Is it the added challenge?
>>
File: 0603151837.jpg (770 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
0603151837.jpg
770 KB, 2048x1536
>>598476
Yeah its always fun to catch anything but I'd like some super light gear for the little guys. I would love to go after some of the ultra scrappy sunfish and crappie we have in the creeks around here.
>>
> want to try fly fishing in the Rockies / foothills of Alberta
> Terrified of bears

Oh well.
>>
>>598675
I see bear tracks on the river everytime I go. Just make some noise and act like you don't give a shit. It scares the bears.
>>
File: 20150925_094727.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150925_094727.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>598529
Had a couple hours to kill before work. Tons of tiny small and large mouth and slab crappie for two hours straight.
>>
File: 1443192133137.jpg (619 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1443192133137.jpg
619 KB, 2048x2048
>>598827
>>
surprised this thread is still up, nice
>>
File: 20150926_162928.jpg (513 KB, 2125x1196) Image search: [Google]
20150926_162928.jpg
513 KB, 2125x1196
Who keeps posting the giant panfish? Nice work.

A few of mine from this weekend, not on the fly though. In about 25 fow.
>>
I'm looking to get into it. What would you guys say a scientific anglers rod, reel, and spool of fly line is worth?

I don't know the models unfortunately. Just assume it's a generic middle of the pack setup. 100 bucks?
>>
File: 20150928_072914.jpg (321 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
20150928_072914.jpg
321 KB, 1280x960
>>600743
Are those giant pumpkin seeds?
>>598829
>>598529
>>597269
>>590446
>>584072 were my fish posts.
I'd like to get into a pike before winter but I'm a bit out of my league. Anyone care to share their experienced tips or techniques for pike this time of year?
>>
>>601578
Also caught about 30 smallies around that size yesterday. Most of them were not upside down.
>>
File: 20151001_232310.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151001_232310.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Anyone with pike experience shine any light as to which of these has the best chance of netting me a bite?
>>
>>603646
I catch pike with the simplest flies imaginable. A colored rabbit strip with a weighted front and googly eyes is unfairly effective. Now that it's getting colder just remember to slow down your retrieve and use darker colors.
>>
>>603808
Why darker, does that have to do with the forage? Whereabouts are you located?
>>
File: fishy.jpg (1013 KB, 906x1401) Image search: [Google]
fishy.jpg
1013 KB, 906x1401
>Bluegill bump
>>
Caught this cute little guy just after sunset; he absolutely crushed a Hare's Ear.
>>
File: 1444018817048.jpg (317 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
1444018817048.jpg
317 KB, 2048x1024
Bumping with a few of my parishioners from this morning's service.
>>
>>605466
They look like good eating.
>>
>>605486
I don't trust my local waters enough to eat anything and a legal bass is 15" here. Because aside from the salt and street runoff, they want to make sure we have a few years worth of PCBs in our meal.
>>
>>604090
I'm in MI. Usually just a general rule that when it's gloomy or fall you want to use more earthy colors and in the spring/summer when it's bright out you use more neon and bold colors with a faster retrieve.
>>
>>605633
in the fall I have the best luck with neon flies resembling eggs. typically I tie a neon pink egg pattern to my tippet, then drop a beaded soft hackle under it, they almost always go to the egg pattern
>>
>>605678
Coastal fishing has a whole different modus operandi then non-coastal.

In the rocky mountains you run darker streamer patterns to engage the predatory instincts in highly piscivorous species.
>>
>>589091
Bro what part of MI? I'm in the metro detroit area looking for some good fishing this weekend. Was thinking about hitting up the clinton river.
>>
>>605708
I've never tried the Clinton but hear it gets a pretty nice steelhead run. I'm in the greater flint area so I have to travel to do any real river fishing.
>>
File: 20151008_121626[1].jpg (475 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
20151008_121626[1].jpg
475 KB, 1280x960
Few tiny bass at my favorite tiny creek this morning.
>>
File: 20151008_105815[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151008_105815[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>607549
Also pulled in this crossbreed with some interesting markings.
>>
>>607552
Whats it mixed with?
>>
>>607566
I don't even know if it is. Some kind of pumpkinseed. Might just be his unique markings. There are all sorts of variations in the misc. panfish around here so I'd just be guessing.
>>
>>607552
Looks like a pumpkinseed mixed with a smallie
>>
>>607790
We have green sunfish here that look very similar but they're usually darker. Might just be a sunfish with vitiligo or some shit.
>>
>>607773

It's a Goggle-Eye or Warmouth (as the TPWD calls them here in Texas). The spines on the anal fin give it away. The one's I've always caught will have varying color patterns. If you set a bream trap and catch a few dozen bream with a goggle-eye or two in there, they stand out pretty well.
>>
>>607552
>>607566
>>607773
>>607790
It's called a warmouth and it's actually its own species, not a crossbreed of anything, but it is a member of the same genus as a pumpkinseed and the rest of the sunfish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmouth
>>
>>607838
>>607832
I'm in Illinois. We have warmouth but I've never seen one in this body of water. Look up green sunfish, I'm pretty sure it's either a green sunfish with an odd marking or possibly a hybrid.
>>
File: 20150925_072153.jpg (361 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
20150925_072153.jpg
361 KB, 1280x960
Don't die on me baby! I'm gonna try to find some of these this evening.
>>
File: 20151012_180719.jpg (348 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
20151012_180719.jpg
348 KB, 1280x960
>>609912
Few tiny smallmouth and this guy. Getting cold :/
>>
File: blueballs.jpg (99 KB, 709x540) Image search: [Google]
blueballs.jpg
99 KB, 709x540
Fall frenzy is here
>low quality pic related
>>
File: IMG_20151015_155744674_HDR.jpg (631 KB, 2340x1316) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151015_155744674_HDR.jpg
631 KB, 2340x1316
>>612323
>fall frenzy is here
>not fishing trout, searuns, or salmon

what are you doing
>>
>>612333
working :(
>>
>>612341
Damn sorry bubba
>>
>>590467
everywhere,

the whole damn state
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.