[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
(Rain) Poncho's! do you use them? +protects you from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 18
File: 21.jpg (404 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
404 KB, 600x800
(Rain) Poncho's!

do you use them?

+protects you from wetness
+protects you from cold and wind
+provides you Camouflage
+provides you Camouflage for your backpack
+provides you a shelter / use it as tarp

>Ponchos are for pro's
>>
File: 0.jpg (435 KB, 596x800) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
435 KB, 596x800
>>
i have a goretex jacket, it's kinda like a poncho i guess
>>
>>488170
I got a sea to summit silnylon poncho. Weather protection, pack cover, and hammock tarp all in one. I think it weighs something like 8 oz.
Only downside is i look like Quasimodo while wearing it with backpack on.
>>
>>488178
>i have a goretex jacket, it's kinda like a poncho i guess
no. its not the same feel
>>
>>488170
in this moment, he is enlightened
>>
ponchos are the shit. I always pick up cheap ones and throw them away when they rip. i be dry as a muthafucka dawg
>>
Funnily enough my first poncho arrived toady- looks comfy as fuck but not tried it yet, I'll update when I try it!
>>
>>488170
No, they're shit. Just get a hard shell if you want to be dry.
>>
File: 1395956118999.jpg (750 KB, 1397x1048) Image search: [Google]
1395956118999.jpg
750 KB, 1397x1048
>>488199
Jacket wearing pleb detected
>>
>>488170
I take it someone is very proud of their poncho.....

I used to have this thick rubber one that was just a square cloth with a hood/sleeves. It worked well but was really only worth it in a huge downpoor. Thing made you sweat like a sonofabitch but the thin ones get eaten alive by trees/branches/burrs/sticks/etc etc which makes them literally worthless in moments.

>protect from wetness
Until you start sweating

>Cold and wind
Wind yes, cold no. Not even.

>Camo
Don't care because not tacticoolinnawoodsoperator

>Shelter/tarp
Also no..... they've got a big hole right in the middle of them. The only way you can rationalize this is by sitting your ass down wearing a poncho and hunkering in which is hardly a "shelter".

So what did I do after I realized ponchos aren't worth the weight (as the superlight trashbag ones are worthless except as a backup)?

I got a super thin plastic rain jacket.

It got destroyed and despite being made by a brand of high repute, it's super-thin nature made it of flimsy construction (zipper/hood draw issues).

So you know what I did then? I bit the bullet, saved some cash and invested in a big boy rain jacket with a hood, like I should have done in the first place. Now I stay dry, the wind doesn't hit me, the branches/twigs/burrs/etc don't bother/scare me, I have a light packable garment that I can hunker down with (like the ponchos strongest aspect) in a big downpour and not worry about. Also doubles to make a fleece and flannel windproof which makes it good for SO much more.

Just saying, ponchos are cool if you're broke and need to stay dry. Cost wise, there is nothing better, but the amount you'll spend on disposable shit and time spent replacing it? Fuck that.
>>
Clint Eastwood famously wore a poncho as the lead character for each of the films he starred in for Sergio Leone (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). This gave him a distinct look in comparison to other cowboy characters in films which usually preferred dusters.
>>
They're stuffy as fuck.

Besides, what kind of fucking /out/doorsman are you if you can't stand a little rain and can't find shelter from it quickly.
>>
File: 1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg (811 KB, 2222x3026) Image search: [Google]
1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg
811 KB, 2222x3026
Woolen ponchos are great. They're warm, breathable, good in rain and have been used by people all over the world. I've never used a synthetic poncho.
>>
>>488199
>No, they're shit.
wtf. ponchos are fuckin comfy
>>
File: 52_0.jpg (35 KB, 393x600) Image search: [Google]
52_0.jpg
35 KB, 393x600
>>488223
>I used to have this thick rubber one
In 2015 we use ultralight and sturdy materials.

>>488241
>Besides, what kind of fucking /out/doorsman are you if you can't stand a little rain and can't find shelter from it quickly.
you must be from California

>>488223
>Don't care because not tacticoolinnawoodsoperator
pinkish/yellowish ... is not everyones Cup of tea
>>
>>488241

unless they are somehow impervious to hypothermia they'd be a dead outdoorsman.

also: pls go
>>
File: shelter1.jpg (975 KB, 864x801) Image search: [Google]
shelter1.jpg
975 KB, 864x801
>>
>>488263
Do I need to make a diagram showing where the rain comes in? Or should I show you how that's not nearly large enough for an adult male to lay outstretched?
>>
>>488269
It's a lean-to, not a tent.
>>
>>488269
You can tie the hood closed, idiot.
>>
>>488280
He didn't, retard.
>won't address the fact that it's still small as fuck
>>
File: th.jpg (37 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
37 KB, 245x300
>>488282
>the fact that it's still small as fuck
>>
>>488287
Go /out/ in your backyard next time it rains and try to sleep under a poncho. Let us all know how that goes.
>>
File: 1.jpg (981 KB, 864x811) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
981 KB, 864x811
>>488291
>>
>>488292
>taking my advice while /out/
>using a phone while /out/ to post on 4chan
>thinking he's making a point/winning an argument
>>
>>488262
Why are you hiking/camping in zones that are so cold they cause hypothermia anyway.
>>
>>488298
>Why are you hiking/camping in zones that are so cold they cause hypothermia anyway.
Are you serious? It doesn't take much to cause hypothermia if you aren't prepared.
>>
>>488298
indeed. sunshine states suck. you will never experience the real /ou/
>>
>>488292
0/10
Would just wear and find real shelter.
>>
>>488261
>But anon I got this poncho that's super ultralight and sturdy!

And cost you more than a rainjacket would, dip shit.

>But anon, if you don't wear camo you must wear pink and yellow

Because this is a logical conclusion to be drawn from what I said.

Excellent refutation of an argument anon, prime stuff you got there.
>>
>>488227
>Sarape
>>
Yes I have used one. Found it was very poor in windy conditions.
>>
File: c26-B000EG5W12-1-l.jpg (82 KB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
c26-B000EG5W12-1-l.jpg
82 KB, 800x425
>absolutely. why have just one though?!
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 165x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 165x225
>>488170

My /out/ poncho...
>>
>>488547
FUCK THESE

holy shit. really fuck these...

>Grew up right near disneyworld.
>dad worked there
>literally these EVERYWHERE.
>get sent to school in one.
>everyone laughs at this gay ass poncho because my parents are too cheap to BUY a umbrella.
>sweating balls on the bus
>get off the bus, can't stand the heat.
>walk home in the rain 1/2 mile.
>"anon wheres your rain coat?" "In my backpack..." "well why aren't you wearing it?" "because it was too hot." "well all the things I try to do for you, blah blah blah blah bitch bitch bitch."

frankly my parents were the type that would find a shitty pair of shoes for cheap, give them to me, and then complain about how I destroyed everything. also I had a couch in my room for a long time that came from the fucking curb side, it was dark blue fabric that was hot as hell to even sit on, and looked like utter shit.. so glad I don't have to deal with that shit any more..

I was a pretty big /out/sider kid because of the shitty way my parents liked to live and treat me. my late elementary years, and middle school years. would go like..

>get home.
>stuff face with what ever was in the freezer from the night before. I was always "in charge" of finishing left overs..
>grab old red bicycle.
>grab backpack
>grab knife [that I bought off a friend, parents would never buy me such thing.]
>grab lighter [normally the local stoners would drop/throw lighters out in the streets, I'd pick them up, and add them to my hidden stash of lighters, again parents would never buy me such things because they are "fire" and fire is dangerous.
>go out in the woods, about a miles walk from my house
>do what ever the fuck I felt like, no one to complain I'm dirty or I'm "ruining" something.
>stay /out/ as long as I could stand the mosquitoes.
>tfw I have thalassemia minor
>tfw I can't get malaria because of it.
>ride home
>sneak in, get into the shower quickly, get clean.
>eat something
>go to bed.
>>
>>488558
kek. I'm sure you hang out on r9k a lot...

when was the last time you went outside?
>>
File: 1427085364996.jpg (12 KB, 548x240) Image search: [Google]
1427085364996.jpg
12 KB, 548x240
>>488563

>>>/r9k/

pls go
>>
>>488557
>>Grew up right near disneyworld.>dad worked there
a early childhood trauma
>>
File: 74230283.png (2 MB, 1038x998) Image search: [Google]
74230283.png
2 MB, 1038x998
me with Poncho. +Backpack underneath

You can wear it like a Jacket.
>>
>>488262
If "a little rain" puts you at risk for hypothermia, you need to reevaluate your clothing choices.
>>
File: goretex jacket.jpg (279 KB, 752x600) Image search: [Google]
goretex jacket.jpg
279 KB, 752x600
>>488170
> sweating your ass off in a plastic bag
> flapping around and tangling your legs
> getting snagged on every twig in the forest
> Ponchos are for pros!
>>
>>488170
>does not breathe
>does not protect from wind very well
>camouflage is not unique to ponchos
>camouflage pack cover

I'll give you the tarp sentiment

Ponchos are for cheapskates and beginners.
>>
>>488751
>-Need extra jacket
->Need extra Pants
->Need extra bag for jacket
->Need extra bag for Pants
->Need extra backpack cover
->has wet backpack because water flows between his spine and the backpack
>>
File: 5 2.jpg (41 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
5 2.jpg
41 KB, 254x198
>>488756
>>does not breathe
But that is virtually impossible.
>>
>>488757
>has wet backpack because water flows between his spine and the backpack
Armchair expert detected.
>>
>>488557
>malaria
Nigga you must be 12.
>>
>>488177
Is that you, Le Loyon?
>>
File: maskalat-kangur-z-siatka_511.jpg (233 KB, 773x580) Image search: [Google]
maskalat-kangur-z-siatka_511.jpg
233 KB, 773x580
>>488255
I don't know what ponchos you've been wearing, but the ones i did use were hot as fuck. I almost got as wet from sweating as i would have gotten if i didn't wear the poncho, from the rain alone. Fuck ponchos. I have a thin rain jacket and it's superior in so many ways.
>>
>>488778
how are you sweating from a poncho but not a rain coat?
>>
>>488787

that guys sort of full of shit. if used properly a poncho is very easy to manage/regulate body temperature
>>
>>488794
TOP KEK

Seriously.....

>Open pancho to cool off
>Get wet

Vs.

>Open pockets and possibly pitzips on rain coat
>Release hood a little
>Unzip 1 inch

Ponchos are CHEAP, that is their primary (and only) benefit. They are either too thin to use more than once or too heavy to be effectively cooling/packable and stand up to a rain jacket.

A "poncho" style garment made from lightweight rainjacket material will be of inferior construction and end up destroyed (much like the cheap disposable ones) and those ones cost too much anyways (defeating the purpose)

There is NO WAY to rationalize a poncho besides "I liek ponchos though", there is nothing wrong with personal preference, we've all had a piece of gear that was inferior but strongly loved, that doesn't make it better though.

Ask anyone who's ever done military service what their opinion of a poncho is, it won't be held in high regard.

Rainjacket > Poncho
>>
>>488810
>military service
There's a reason they DON'T issue ponchos anymore, and instead utilize goretex jackets and pants.
>>
>>488810

When I hike during summer, I bring a cheap poncho (just a rectangle with a hole and a rain hood).
It's true that you'll sweat under it, but it's great to protect your gear from rain. And in my case, it's lighter than my rainjacket.

It could also be used as an emergency tarp for a shelter.

Bonus point for looking so stupid that even animals facepalm and for beeing able to imitate a hunchbacked gollum.
>>
>>488810
you sir is full of fail
>>
>>488546
several times i've used them as ponchos

betterthanponcho/10
>>
>>488170
Does not protect from cold, but do protect your clothes from rain and wind.

>implying camo would be beneficial
>>
i have a rain poncho, it's alright, it's nice in that you can just squat with your head and arms pulled inside and feel really cosy like you're in your tent in the rain.

but it's noisy and pretty annoying in the wind even if you use the waist string.
>>
File: poncho-shelter-with-bedroll.jpg (233 KB, 496x372) Image search: [Google]
poncho-shelter-with-bedroll.jpg
233 KB, 496x372
I think it depends what environment you go /out/ in. I have a poncho, a tarp, and a MSS bivy and that keeps me very dry. Sometimes I forgo the bivvy entirely. A wool blanket is sometimes brought as well. That system just works for me.

>>488282
That's called the Ghost Man Configuration, a poll or stick is sticking up into the into the hood, and the front drawn closed. It's fine for a light rain, but once it becomes a downpour, there are other better configurations.

It's a 6.6' by 9.6' foot tarp, how is that too small for you?

>>488291
Very well actually, I take it with me on almost all of my trips.
>>
more of a parka kinda gal myself
>>
>>490849 (is me)
Honestly, Goretex clothes are more practical. I even bring a pair of goretex pants with me in case it really starts pouring. I just find the ability to turn it into a shelter as well as a bag cover to be practical work for me. Because it's always pretty cold, I've never found sweat to be an issue, as air flows through the bottom of the poncho.
>>
>>488170
Yes, i prefer a ponchotarp and an umbrella. I don't have any raintrousers.

The poncho is a Wäfo Monsun, 50 Euros, made in germany.

It has flexible loops, so you can easily construct a shelter and because it's flexible it will not rip.

It's a bit larger than normal ponchos with 1.5 x 2.7m, but you can shorten the front and the back. Because it's larger, it fits over any backpack.

It has straps that you can fasten if it gets windy or you have to move in the mountains.

I also carry an umbrella so i have time to get it out.

Most of my buddys wait till they are wet, then they get into their goretex gear. By that time the rain might be over. Or they got water in their backpacks. Then they start to sweat into their raingair.

I just open my umbrella and eventually stop to get my poncho out of my backpack.

I don't have any raintrousers. I use an old Bundeswehrtrouser, 100% cotton. No problems so far even in the rain at around freezing. The trick is to close the legs at the bottom, this will result in an airflow inside the trouser which keeps the legs sufficiently dry. If you wear the poncho that is. If it gets wet everywhere you are fucked.

I will have to buy me some better gaiters tho.
>>
>>488170
I had one of these for a while.
>>488177
Too bulky to pack around though, worked great when it was pouring the moment I left but the rain isn't like that in Oregon. I mostly just carry a cheap frogtoggs foldup poncho for if it pours, wear a comfy sweater/hoodie for warmer months or a thick coat for colder. I also have nice goretex boats, good socks, and the like. I don't mind being damp though, I'd rather breathe a bit than be dry and sweaty.
>>
File: FTP1714-09.jpg (521 KB, 978x1330) Image search: [Google]
FTP1714-09.jpg
521 KB, 978x1330
>>491022
Forgot my pick. I'm going to try this out for a bit. I did a pretty sizeable hike at one point wearing the full length Swiss poncho, it was okay but a bit bulky and didn't pack up when the rain cleared.
>>
File: ponch-and-john-chips-2.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ponch-and-john-chips-2.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
I take my poncho everywhere i go. he makes me feel sooooo safe!
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.