[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/<></ -- Fishing General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74
File: 5556746_1_l.jpg (41 KB, 468x391) Image search: [Google]
5556746_1_l.jpg
41 KB, 468x391
Old Thread>>446038

>fishing stories, techniques, tips, pics, and recipes

Lubricate your knot
>>
Guys I'm going to go fishing off the gulf coast soon in about a month. I've always fished off lakes and rivers, and only been surfing fishing once with some bros. I'm going to be fishing off a pier for a good part of the trip, as well as a boat. Luckily I have an Abu Garcia C4 baitcaster that I use for catfishing, so it's should be good for fishing off a pier. But what kind of rod would be best to pair it with from the surf and the a pier? Any recommended rigs for mackeral or redfish? Is it worth getting a really long landing net if I'm fishing high up from a pier?
>>
Any suggestions for a good fish finder to rig on a sit inside kayak? I'd like to spend no more than $200. I've never used one before.

Also what's the best kind of battery to use in a kayak? Are there any compact batteries specifically for kayaks? Would be great to have something that would let me power other electronics for future upgrades like nav & cockpit lights. Being able to charge a phone out on the water would be really cool too.
>>
>>480062
>fish finder
>kayak
pick one
>>
>>480105
What are you talking about? Fish finders on kayaks are extremely common.
>>
Total newb here. Went fishing for the first time in over a decade (I'm 25) over the weekend. Hooked a couple of brim (Fliers) in murky river water but they were small guys so I tossed them back. I spent most of the day snagging all kinds of shit on the bottom as I attempted poorly to fish.

How do you keep from losing lures and hooks when fishing freshwater? I wasn't using a bobber... since my reel is a spinner, I had rigged: weight -> swivel -> lead -> hook with worm / jig / jig with worm

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but it felt good to snag a fish, even small, on my first cast.
>>
>>480144
If you're fishing for bream (bluegill, sunfish, chubs, etc) you should probably change up your rig. Definitely use ultra light tackle. I bought the cheapest ultra light rod/reel combo I could find at Walmart and I love panfishing with it. Ditch the leader, weight, and swivel. Just use a small weighted jighead and put a plastic grub on there. Threading live nightcrawlers, wax worms, or red worms works too.

You can put your worm on the jighead in such a way that the hook top just barely sticks out.
>>
>>480156
Thanks. Well a guy told me the swivel was to keep the jig from spinning around. After two of my swivel + lead got stuck and had to be cut, I said fuck it and started using just a normal line and jig. Unfortunately, we moved to a spot in the river with faster current and I couldn't get a single bite... AND still got stuck on everything possible.

Here in Florida, I have access to crystal clear water, murky water, lakes, rivers, creeks, swamps, etc. A nearby lake is supposed to have Crappie spawning so I'm going on the upcoming weekend.
>>
>>480051
As someone who used to live on the gulf coast in MS... shrimp. You will probably have good luck with specs and reds this time of year. Always use live or cut-bait on the gulf. Artificials just make catching fish needlessly difficult unless you're only going for sport I guess.
>>
>>480062
I'd recommend getting a SOT for fishing. There are so many benefits from a sit-in. Some SOTs designed for fishing have molded spots for fishfinders. Can't help you with the battery, but unless you have a specific situation where a sit-in is going to be beneficial to you somehow, I'd really recommend reconsidering.
>>
Went to where my favorite little area creek hits the river yesterday. Not a single sign of life and I went through about 20 flies over the day. Pike spawn in the creek in spring along with a ton of other panfish, bass, sauger, and bottom feeders. The ice has been gone for a bout a week so I was surprised to not see a few early arrivals. It was still a beautiful day to be out.
>dat nobugs
>dat beaver, mink, coyote, deer, hawk, owl activity
>can get to places easy without all the buckthorn and brush grown in.
Spring feels pretty goat after this winter.
>>
>>480032
neat choice for the image!

>>480144
Nothing wrong with using floats/bobbers in combination with a spinning reel (or any set-up really). If you're wanting to avoid bottom or just want your weight on the bottom but the hook/bait suspended definitely get yourself some. If you're intentionally trying to fish the bottom then you may need to invest in some weedless hooks or figure ways to rig your bait weedlessly.

As for crappie absolutely get yourself a small float. Crappie tend to look up for food rather than down so floating your bait is the way to go. Find a float sufficient to support the weight of your jig+bait or split-shot to hook+bait. A slip float/bobber + bobber stops would be ideal. The trick is to figure out what depth the crappie are at and adjust the line below the float/bobber to suspend your bait at that depth. Beyond that it's just a slow retrieve pausing occasionally to allow for a strike.

>>480062
I don't know about the *BEST* battery you can get but you're likely going to be looking for a 12v battery of some kind. The more Amp Hours (AH) the longer the battery is going to last you before it is drained. If you want to save some money don't search specifically for a "Fish Finder Battery." You can search for that but also search for "Electric Scooter Battery", "Alarm Battery", "Wheelchair Battery", or even just "12V _blank_AH Battery" where _blank_ could be 4, 5, 7, or 9 just to rattle off some common AH ratings. Also do a search for "Kayak Fish Finder Battery Case" and you'll get some good ideas on how to keep it dry. A lot of folks will a hard-plastic dry-box/tackle box like what Plano and Flambeau make. They'll drill a hole for the leads and run the wires through a rubber grommet sealed with some marine goop, silicone sealant or the sort.

Can't recommend a fish finder unfortunately.

>>480161
There are angler-model sit-ins but they're far less common than SOT anglers. I think this ( >>479325 ) might be theirs.
>>
>>480179
>There are angler-model sit-ins but they're far less common than SOT anglers
I'm one of them, that's why I'm trying to help him avoid my mistake, which was ultimately going the cheaper route.
>>
>>480179
Newb here. Thanks for the tips, I'll put 'em to use this weekend. I dunno why, I guess I was just associating bobbers with children fishing and I shrugged off that it is actually useful after all.
>>
>>480180
The anon above already has their sit-in, I'm pretty sure, and they seem happy with it. I can see why they'd want to work with what they have rather than start over. I haven't bought my first yak yet (craigslist pickins have been slim) but I'm going the SOT route myself.

>>480181
I fish almost strictly artificial bait and used to have the same mindset. My preferred way to "float" my small jigs+crappie/panfish plastics is with jig spinners. The spinner itself, with a steady retrieve, actually helps suspend and swim the jig whereas it'd drop like a rock without it. But sometimes that's still too fast on those slooooow days where fish are stubborn to bite. That's when floats/bobbers come into play. You can stop retrieving entirely and let a jig dangle without fear of it hitting bottom and snagging onto something.

Children learn on bobbers/floats, that's true. But adults remember that it works! Plus it's a very traditional means of fishing. I still don't use floats very often but I've suffered enough slow days to have developed the sense to keep them in my tackle bag for when nothing else is working.

Another tip for the crappies; waxworms ("waxies"). Most Wal-Mart stores with any nearby fishing locations will have them, or if you're in an area with a lot of fishing odds are every 7-11 or equivalent convenience store will have them or some other kind of live bait. After you've rigged up your jig with whatever artificial bait you're using "tip the bait" by putting a small bit of waxworm down over the barb. Crappie love'em.
>>
>>480144
>How do you keep from losing lures and hooks when fishing freshwater?
So one thing you can consider doing is baiting your plastic worm on the hook "weedless" like in pic related. Also if you're using live worms, then try not to expose the barb when baiting the worm. Try to secure the bullet weight as close as possible to the hook with a bobber stopper or a stopping knot. Really you just gotta learn the water you're fishing on. If you find that you get snagged a couple of times when fishing on the bottom at the same area, then there's probably a log or rock. When you're on the bottom you should be able to feel when you hit a structure, so be gentle when you do.
>>
File: texas_rig7a.jpg (41 KB, 344x178) Image search: [Google]
texas_rig7a.jpg
41 KB, 344x178
>>480231
I forget my pic. Damn you m00t
>>
>>480158
If there's a lot of structure on the bottom and the current is moving so quick that you really gotta weigh it down to get it on the bottom, then you might want to try something either suspended or on the top.
>>
File: P1110300.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
P1110300.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>480032

Any so Cal fishing bro's here?

pic related, 1 1/2 years ago on a 1/2 day.

25lbs and 30"+, caught on 20# dropper loop in a squid bed on my calico bait rod. Using live squid of course
>>
>80F yesterday
>86F today
>5 minutes from the river
>New pole
>Sicker than a dog

Kill me.
>>
>>480032
if you're fishing for bass you better bring a keitech fat swing bait
>>
Went out on the jetties again on sunday afternoon. Nabbed a 17" sheepshead off a lure under a popping cork and then went home to fry. Fucking mexicans were catching nothing on their bottom rigs with nasty old shrimp and crowded to where I was after I left. They didn't realize they would get hung up off the bottom like that and nothing would bite their shitty shrimp. All they're doing is littering the rocks with their terminal tackle.
>>
>>480335
you're guy's sheepshead has black and white stripes right?

With some nasty but not sharp teeth?
>>
>>480338
Yah they call em sheepshead becausr they have molars like sheep.
>>
File: California sheephead.jpg (302 KB, 1000x704) Image search: [Google]
California sheephead.jpg
302 KB, 1000x704
>>480341

Our sheephead out here in California look like pic related, the black and red one is a male and the red/pink one is female.

These fish are all born female and live in small 5-15 fish schools, with one male and the rest females. When the male dies, one of the females, I think the biggest one, becomes the male of the school.

I haven't caught one myself, the males grow past 20lbs, but smaller ones are the common catch. Supposedly they put on a monster fight, from what I've seen by people who catch them on the sportboats, they sure seem like they do, and they might seem small but their heavier than they look. They also supposedly are really good table fare cause they eat clams lobsters and crabs among other invertebrates.
>>
File: Snapchat-2359811637357443330.jpg (710 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2359811637357443330.jpg
710 KB, 1080x1920
>>480032
My catch from today. The cage on my right held 40 rudd and I approximate the one on my left at about 30, so not a bad haul. I kept the 40 and released the rest, should feed the family for a few days. If anyone wants my recipe I'll provide it.
>>
Any shark fisherman here?
im looking to start targeting sharks from shore on the ct and possibly ri coast.
rod i will be using is only 9 ft but i can still get the bait out pretty far.
55 lb test braid main line and various wire leaers,
dont care what/ how big what i catch is just want to get out

planning on fishing at night mostly,
any tips/tricks to look into ?
>>
Anyone got any advice for beginners? I bought a rod two years ago, and fished like 3 times.

Every time I just put walmart bait on a hook and cast it.

Now i kind of want to start fishing this summer, but have no idea where to start

Both Lake and River fishing
>>
what are you targeting?
>>
>>480537
^^meant for:
>>480535
>>
>>480535
where o you live?
>>
>>480537
Nothing in particular, its really just for sport. Whatever is easy I guess?

>>480542
That would help huh. Eastern Pennsylvania
>>
>>480544

I would say check what your local water sources have in stock, do a google search of "[insert fish species here] fishing", and decide if its for you.

Also, check your state's fish and game's rgulations, you don't want to be without a license when a f&g officer shows up out of nowhere asking to see one, god knows they love to do that.

also, easiest fishing in freshwater would probably be panfishing.
>>
>>480544
go out and buy a few bobbers,
the plastic ones work but dont last as long as the orange foam ones
tie the hook onto the end of your line an put the bobbe1- 2 ish feet above the hook (different depths depending on where you're fishing
go grab an empty coffee can an go out in the woods and dig around in the leaves to find some worms
put that shit on the hook and go to a local lake

toss it out close to some weeds, or any trees or shit hanging in the water
>>
>>480345
Not the guy you responded to but I never knew about other sheepshead for a long time. In the gulf we get the white/black striped ones that eat oysters, crabs and other crusties. Saw they catch them in the great lakes somewhere too.
>>
File: California sheephead 2.jpg (351 KB, 1000x573) Image search: [Google]
California sheephead 2.jpg
351 KB, 1000x573
>>480643

looking at pictures of yours, it looks like a big toothy surfperch, ours is more unique than I thought, since yours seems like a more common catch. Like something you can actively target.

How do yours pull?
>>
>>480544
>Nothing in particular, its really just for sport. Whatever is easy I guess?
You really need some kinda game plan if you want to be more successful. Sure you can throw a worm out on a bobber while possibly catching a variety of different fish -- crappie, bream, bass, and catfish will all bite on it. But there are better ways to present bait to each species that will help you catch more of that species. So you need to do some research to figure out what kinds of fish are around you (your states DNR website will be a good starting place), then start researching the best techniques and rigs for that particular fish (watching videos and reading articles).
>>
>>480651
I haven't fished the gulf in about 9 years and probably longer since I caught a sheepshead. We used to pull them up near the oyster beds all day though. We'd drop a few crab baskets and throw cast nets when the poles were in the water. You'd go home with mullet, sheepshead, specks, redfish, blue crab or all of the above. Good times.
>>
>>480544
>That would help huh. Eastern Pennsylvania
I've read and heard that the smallmouth bass fishing in Pennsylvania is really good. I fish for shoal bass down in the South, and everyone says that shoal bass are very similar in terms of tackle, rigs, and techniques used for fishing for them.
>>
>>480488
for a leader go
main line to
swivel->5 feet of 400 lb mono->swivel->wire->hook
>>
>>480793

wouldn't he be fine if he just went straight to wire from the swivel?

or is the mono there for shock absorption?
>>
>>480185
>The anon above already has their sit-in
I see, I read his original post wrong. I'm thinking of selling mine, and I should be able to profit since I bought it used for way under market. Just waiting on a nice SOT to pop up on craigslist
>>
>>480651
yah your sheepshead look like some type of parrot fish. Really awesome looking fish to boot.

Wish I could catch em. Hopefully it'll get warmer faster here and I can try for some snapper off the rocks.
>>
>>480795
Unless you have a really long wire leader, a medium-to-large shark could completely engulf the hook, leader and swivel on an aggressive take and then go right through your main line - plus yes, it acts as a shock absorber.
>>
>>480062
If you want just sonar, go with the Lowrance Elite 3x. If you want sonar plus GPS go with the Humminbird Helix 5 with those options. You'll want to mount the transducer to the bottom of your hull with silicone gel made for this application. Make sure the silicone is bubble free otherwise your sonar returns won't be very good.
>>
>>480793
personally am not targeting huge sharks, we tend to not get a ton of them in the long island sound an as said i will be fishing from shore so in theory less chance of another large shark
also
> 9 ft rod not necessarily ideal for sharks

im also not wanting to go too big overall because i be fine catching other species of fish as well, i dont want to just throw out a huge bait and wait for a huge shark, i would rather catch anything thats brave enough to take a medium bait

if i really wanted to go catch huge sharks i woul turn to someone i know with a boat who holds the state record mako shark record
>>
>>481210
Go out at night with cut mullet. I've seen people land small reef sharks and bonnet heads (3-5ft) and what not off of substantially lighter tackle. They were using plain medium action rods, spinning reels and 40lb test. Sharks don't fight particularly hard. They just pull and pull and pull.

I see them landed all the time at night at lighted piers.

But more importantly I'd like you to think about catching a shark. Are you sure you can unhook it? Why bother potentially harming an important keystone species?

If you are dead set I can't stop you, but I can't in good conscience give you tips without asking you to reconsider your actions.
>>
>>481251
yes i can unhook it
long pliers an very carefully
ive caught plenty of dogfish and a few larger species when fishing on a boat

everything would be catch and release, and if i get a shark too big to fuck with it just cut the line as close to the hook as i can saftley and let it go
dogfish are common when boat fishing around here and alot of people will simply kill them to use as bait in crab pots or kill them so they arent biting again
>>
>>480795
the heavy mono is to help prevent rub offs from the sharks shink
>>
File: family_guy_jig_spinners.gif (1 MB, 320x209) Image search: [Google]
family_guy_jig_spinners.gif
1 MB, 320x209
>>480535
>>480544
I've done great the last few years in south/central PA; mainly the Juniata River and Raystown Lake but also Shawnee Lake a few times. I swear up and down by jig spinners. At least for the river. Johnson Beetle Spin sized jig spinners paired with either the soft plastic fork-tails they come with or similar sized crappie/panfish plastics and you'll tear up most everything available to you. For the Juniata that's mostly rock bass, yellow perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed, carp, smallies, largemouth, and even the occasional channel cat since they can be very predatory. Scaling up in size to a larger spinner and larger plastics (5" single-tail grubs are my go-to) reduces bites from the smaller fish and will help to target smallmouth, largemouth, muskey (if you're lucky) and larger rock bass. The same setup also got me a lot of crappie and some walleye in Shawnee Lake.

For Raystown, back in October, the magic ticket seemed to be subtle poppers and sputtering baits. Couldn't find a bite on loud-smacking Pop-R's but the gentler spits of a Rapala Skitter Pop and the light bubbling caused by the propeller on a Heddon Tiny Torpedo got the largemouth biting really well.
>>
File: largemouth_snyders.jpg (257 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
largemouth_snyders.jpg
257 KB, 750x500
>>481561
This was also caught in October at Raystown, a short ways from the Snyder's boat launch. Just bouncing a 5" grub rigged weedless on a 1/16 oz jig head through the tall aquatic grass.
>>
>>481563
>5" grub

thats a big ass grup for such as small jig head, I use 3/4-2oz heads on plastics that big, then again I'm doing that on saltwater.

You sure you don't mean a plastic worm?
>>
File: HulaGrub.jpg (15 KB, 550x246) Image search: [Google]
HulaGrub.jpg
15 KB, 550x246
>>481566
Jig heads can be found in varying size/length hooks. Plus I'm fishing fairly light tackle on my spinning set-ups. Mostly 6 lb mono with one spinner running 12 lb for heavier topwater lures. Otherwise my heaviest setup is my baitcaster with 14 lb fluorocarbon used mostly to bottom-fish structure with worms/lizards or jigs+trailers.

1/16 is my standard for jig spinners or just jigging grubs with my lighter spinning rods but I'll go as heavy as 1/8 if I'm fishing deeper waters or want the lure to drop a little faster. I think it also sounds bigger than it is. My preferred brand is Gary Yamamoto and I'd say about 2.5" is body and the other half is flat, light tail. And probably a solid half of the tail is tapering and curling back up toward the body. They really look smaller than they are until they're in the water and the tail is about to wag and twist during the retrieve. Pic related (Hula Grub) works great for jigging too.
>>
>>481576
...and the tail is able* to wag....
>>
>>481576

my uncle fishes does things late at night on deep parts of this one lake, say is very tough to pull out whatever it is that's down there cause its full of sharp rocks at the bottom and he gets cut off.

Difference is he uses ones that are so big they look like cigars with a plastic tail and wagly front.
>>
File: pflueger_president.jpg (54 KB, 738x640) Image search: [Google]
pflueger_president.jpg
54 KB, 738x640
Previous thread I was contemplating what spinning reel to get for small rivers/creek and high mountain lake fishing. Yesterday I went and tried out some reels and decided on the Pflueger President. Nice smooth action on it, gotta wait till the weekend to pop her cherry though ;_;
>>
>>481709
>small rivers/creek and high mountain lake fishing.

A fly rod, you tool
>>
File: IMAG0320.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0320.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
My favorite jiggin set up for Alabama ponds
Shimano caius with a halo daylight heavy action
>>
Damn guys... Im really getting the itch. I wanna get on the lake so bad it's almost unbearable. my buddy and I are gonna do some fly fishing this summer so it should be interesting. Never done it before. Pic Is from late November. 11lb 14oz Laker I got fishing with minnows off a drop
>>
>>481811
Shit forgot pic...
>>
File: 1370270218905.jpg (17 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
1370270218905.jpg
17 KB, 300x299
>>481778
>fly rod, you tool
No. I like the simplicity of using a worm or spinning lures when I feel like it.
Fly fishing is for tryhard faggots like yourself. I love it when I get fly fishermen looking down their nose at me and my gear and then watching their fucking face, pic related, as I snag the lunkers and they get the scraps. Suck a dick flyboy
>>
File: 1411545495695.jpg (45 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1411545495695.jpg
45 KB, 499x499
who here has a catch phrase when they catch a fish? I usually just say "Gotcha bitch!" unless I am fishing with my cousin, then I say "fish on!" because it pisses him off
>>
>>481817
Fly-fishing is piss-easy and way better than spinning gear for alpine fishing all-around.
>>
>>481585
Yeah, weedless rigging can only get you so far. I tend to avoid bottom-fishing from shore if there are any large rocks present that might produce a lot of V's for lures to get wedged in. If I'm fishing from a boat or wading it's less of a problem since I can usually move around the backside of the snag or walk right up to it and the lure will come free. With shore fishing that just isn't an option. If I'm feeling daring I might run a drop shot with the weight on a lighter leader. Worst case the weight gets stuck and I have to snap the leader but I still get back my hook and bait. Best case a fish comes along, takes the bait, and heads in the right direction to free the weight. And if it heads in the wrong direction then I/it snaps the leader (which I would have needed to do anyway) but the fish remains on the hook/main line and can be caught.

>>481842
One summer I had a friend pretty riled up over "Fish On." I'd just say it casually, knowingly even before the lure hit the water. Half the time the lure would get hit as soon as it hit the water and the other half I'd get maybe two turns out of the reel before hooking up. It just came from fishing the lake we were on since I was a little kid and knowing it so well. Toward the end of the day he was fishless when I finally talked him into changing things up. We took the jon boat over to a spot I knew would have at least a few largemouth, told'em "Cast right there by those reeds," and gave another "Fish on" before his lure hit the water. He might've got half a turn of the reel before hooking into a 4'ish pound largemouth.

I'm usually pretty quiet otherwise. I'll drop a "That's a snakehead" when I hook into one of those because you can tell when they strike. For whatever reason you'll see a mess of bubbles come to the surface the moment they hit. Don't know if has something to do with them coming out of a mud/weed bed or their"Labyrinth Organ" but it's unmistakable when it happens.
>>
>>481842
>>481920
Ooh, I did break my quiet nature one time fishing with the same friend. We'd spent the better part of twenty or so minutes using my trolling motor (the only source of propulsion on the jon boat aside from paddles) crossing a bay to fish a beautiful grass flat on the other side. A few minutes goes by and this hick speeds past in his bass boat throwing rollers our way. Another couple minutes go by and he does it again. He finally comes back once more bringing another bout of wake with him and stops within casting range of us and proceeds to start fishing on top of us. Bear in mind this grass flat was huge and there wasn't a single other boat fishing it before we got there so this guy could've stopped anywhere else along it and fished.

So every other cast is landing next to the jon boat, my buddy is visibly pissed off, and I'm eating my tongue. A few more minutes pass with nobody catching anything when finally my rod-tip nosedives. Cue the Jimmy Houston "WHOOO SON!" while my buddy is yelling "GET'EM!" A couple minutes of fighting goes buy when I finally hold up a chunky football of a largemouth, laughing to myself over the fight being over. That's about the time Satan starts whispering in my ear and I remember one of my favourite bumper stickers. So I turn to the guy in the other boat, fish still in hand, and shout "Hey! Does this boat make my bass look big?"

I'd empty my bank account right now just to buy a framed photo of the look of disgust that guy threw us before hopping back into the driver seat of his floating mid-life crisis and speeding off again.
>>
File: image.jpg (233 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233 KB, 640x960
Went fishing at a resevoir down by my house today, not a single bite, which is dissapointing since I've been waiting for the ice to melt for like two weeks now.
>>
>>481817

Depends, whenever i go to Montana and fish in like the Yellowstone river then i can't catch shit ther than on a fly. But here in Ohio you can't catch anything other than smallmouth on a fly
>>
File: image.jpg (994 KB, 1976x2040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
994 KB, 1976x2040
>>481936
Also found this in a Baggie on the bank, It's brand new.
>>
>>481940
YUM Crawbug. That'll probably become more effective as things continue to warm up. I like to make it a habit of looking down the mouth of fish I catch. Sometimes you might see a crawfish claw or the tail of a recently eaten shad sticking out of their gullet. Gives you an idea of what they're currently feeding on. I must've thrown chartreuse-pepper grubs for a solid hour at a nearby man-made pond before I finally hooked into a fish. It was a largemouth with bits of orange crawfish shell still lingering in its mouth. I tore the chart-pepper grub off, switched on an orange-red one, and caught four more back-to-back. When you know what they're eating you know what to imitate.
>>
>>481955
>>481936

sometimes I wish my local freshwater lakes didn't have as much pressure as they did, goddamn we almost had the record bass several years back.

Thank god for saltwater master race.
>>
>>482071
Yeah, I think a good chunk of the freshwater species records here in Maryland are all set in private/farm ponds these days. I'm not really equipped for saltwater but there are a bunch of brackish/nearly-fresh tributaries along the Potomac that provide consistently good fishing with a solid mix of salt and freshwater species.

I think the next outfit I put together might be a shore/surf-casting combo. I'd love to be able to wing some crankbaits, saltwater spooks, etc out in search of stripers, blues, seatrout and anything else willing to bite.
>>
>>481807
>Shimano caius
I've been looking to get a low profile baitcaster for awhile now. How do you usually rig it? What's the lightest you can cast on it?
>>
>>481936
Bro your line is twisted around the rod before the last line guide.
>>
>>481842
Fish on is the only acceptable answer
>>
>>481709
Nice!

I've got a smaller Pflueger trion.

Love it!
>>
File: girl in truck bed with ar15.jpg (607 KB, 3532x1987) Image search: [Google]
girl in truck bed with ar15.jpg
607 KB, 3532x1987
Just caught a 3 lb channel catfish today with a beetle spin and small jig while i was trying for crappie or sunfish. Never in my life have i seen that, and i have been fishing for over two decades. Then, when we threw out the chicken livers only had like 5 bites in two hours. Anyone have any ideas or input?

pic not related, but i feel like everyone can appreciate it
>>
File: pelicans1.jpg (370 KB, 1560x744) Image search: [Google]
pelicans1.jpg
370 KB, 1560x744
>tfw you did so bad today even the pelicans gave up on you
>>
>>480349
do share
>>
>>482890
As light as you want it's a 5.6to1 ratio, I usually throw a Flippin fig with a watermelon speed crawl
>>
I'm looking at buying a telescoping rod. Does anyone know any good ones?
>>
>>483828
>telescoping rod

for what?

2-piece rods are almost always better than telescopics
>>
>>483832
For fishing
>>
>>483836

yeah but what makes you think you need a telescopic? almost always a one piece is superior, the only case where its not its air travel and the like
>>
>>483839
Or having a tiny car like I do. Just something to keep in my car so if I drive by some place I can stop fish I can just whip it out and go for some small fish then just collapse it back down in two seconds and be off
>>
>>483839
He probably wants one because an 8 foot medium heavy rod does not fit in a car and he doesn't want a 2 piece
>>
>>483843
This. I have two 2 piece rods already. Neither are the most convienent thing to pack. Not trying to slay monster fish with it either
>>
>>483845
yeah but the only good telescoping ones, are the ones where most of the blank goes into the handle, if you got one of those that goes from 6ft to 1ft, its shit
>>
if I'm an ultralight faggot but I want to try fishing, what's the most versatile gear to take along?

how do you work up the nerve to deal with whatever it is you caught?
>>
>>483868
wtf?

You just grab the fish you pussy. It's a fish it's not scary
>>
>>483877
they flap around and they can't breathe

sometimes the hook gets in its eye or stuck real bad in its mouth

sometimes you throw them back and they float away fucked up and you think, if I hadn't have been fishing, that fish would still be swimming around doing okay
>>
>>483883
1. set your hooks promptly. This prevents the fish from swallowing the bait
2. Don't use treble hooks to lower fowl hooks.
3. Don't use tiny hooks/bait to prevent catching undersized fish and getting their guts hooked.
4. Some regions require barbless hooks for delicate fish like trout.
5. Kill immediately. Get a bat, rock, knife and brain it.
>>
>>483916
also if you use artificial bait you're less likely to get really bad gut hooks since fish don't tend to hold on to them as tight.
>>
>>483916
>>483918
hey, thanks very much for the advice. I'm saving it for reference. I think a barbless hook would suit me well.
>>
>>483868
The strain of holding the fish with a hook in it's mouth while in the air can put significant stress on the fish. Using a landing net to bring it in softly is better than just reeling it straight from the water and letting it hang there flopping around. If you don't have a landing net, then try to softly land it on the ground. The main thing is to not just hold the fish in air on the line for a minute while it flops around hook. If it's safely in the landing net or lying calmly on the ground, then worry about getting a hold on the fish to unhook it. Always have some needle nose pliers to help with unhooking (or you can buy bait hook removal tool designed specifically for it). Just grab the fish in a way that won't get you finned. If you're really cautious, then just google search how to hold certain fish that you know are in your area. In fact, you should probably look up how to hold catfish properly since they are everywhere and probably have finned more anglers than most other fish combined (also their whiskers can't sting you, which is/was a pretty common misconception.
>>
File: Sizeable_Murray_cod.jpg (1002 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Sizeable_Murray_cod.jpg
1002 KB, 2272x1704
>>484306
Not just the stress, if it's a big fish it could also strain their neck and mortally wound them. If you don't have a net and providing the fish doesn't have sharp teeth, use either lip grips or jam your thumb in it's mouth and use the other hand to support the belly like so.
>>
whats the trick for winter planted rainbow trout in a lake/reservoir?

I've tried bobber with nightcrawler and carolina rig with powerbait, and I only ever catched one, usually if I do the carolina rig I just get a shit ton of algae and grass from the bottom, and the nightcrawler doesn't seem to ever get bit, the one time it did it was a smallmouth bass and not a trout.

And to add to that, when you have to fish freshwater from shore, especially on a large lake, what do you look for? Where are the fish concentrated?
>>
>>484606
>jam your thumb in it's mouth
And make sure it doesn't have sharp teeth like a gar (which is obvious) or a hard bite like some salt water fish.
>>
File: catfish_02.png (652 KB, 916x451) Image search: [Google]
catfish_02.png
652 KB, 916x451
>>483239
When I fish started fishing Mallows a year ago my usual big jig spinners produced nothing. It wasn't until I downsized to beetle spin that I had any luck. First catch there was a channel cat. They can be very predatory. When I was up in PA some guys mentioned they were having luck catching channel cat in the river using white Mr. Twister plastics.

Hopefully you don't have them to deal with but if you're fishing the Potomac or by some chance you have blue cat near you they can be caught jigging grubs like I mentioned above ( >>481576 ). Pic related took a watermelon/red flake grub. Cast out, let it hit bottom and, before I could turn the reel and make the first bounce, it was hooked.

>>484626
Pic ( >>481561 ) related. In-line spinners are popular for trout but I've never been a big fan of them. A swivel is almost mandatory to deter line-twist and that means more knots and more points for potential failure. Not that the likelihood of failure is particularly high if you tie everything well and make sure your line hasn't frayed somewhere or has nicks in it. Still I prefer to keep it simple. All the trout I've ever caught were on jig spinners of various size. I tie the line to a duo-lock snap, snap on a jig spinner with whatever blade color I want to use, and pop a jig-head + plastic onto the spinner. I think the smallest snaps I have (size 0) are good to around 30 pounds and jig-spinner forms are made of a thicker gauge wire than the snaps so they're not going to fail. The only real place for failure is the knot tied to the snap.

>>484941
I lipped a pickerel once. A small one, thankfully. It still didn't pan out well.
>>
>>481842
>fuck fuck holy fuck shit ass shitty fucking ass
>>
>>481842

I start cussing in spanish along the lines of

>fuck yeah, you fucking bitch, come over here bitch

and if the fish tries to run away I go

>nah fuck that, that ain't happening bitch
>>
>>484626
>especially on a large lake, what do you look for? Where are the fish concentrated?
Trout like cold water, which usually means the deeper parts of the lake. It's hard to tell where the drop offs are when you're at the shore. If the lake you're fishing at is a major lake in your area, you could possibly find the topology of it online.
>>
Newb here again. Freshwater (lake, rivers) went well but I finally figured out me and a drunk friend were scaring all the fucking fish off. I guess you have to be a little quiet while fishing...

Gulf coast is this coming weekend (Floridafag)... I know I need like 10-15lb line on my rod. How does pier fishing differ from lake/river fishing? What tackle/bait/lures? I'd prefer to catch some reasonable red snapper for eating.
>>
>>484626
Trout in the winter will be anywhere in a lake, took my girlfriend out this last weekend and she caught her first lake trout in ~30 ft of water. I'd had a few hits from them in as shallow as ~15.
>>
>>482890
Update don't buy, just got back from fishing rock walls yesterday and that think is fucked to hell, 2 months old, I hooked a sizeable large mouth and the reel just starts back spinning, I took it apart and a bunch of shit is stripped
>>
Fuck me man. All the nice days are not lining up with my days off. We're on like a 30f swing every other day. I want to be at my spot on the creek before the pike get there!
>>
>>485784
Damn anon, sorry to hear that. I'm glad I'm taking awhile to make this purchasing decision. Anyways, I hope Shimano will fix that for free (probably you gotta pay some portion of the mailing).

I had a shoal bass take my newly bought popper last weekend. If I coulda landed it, then it woulda been the largest one I caught in this part of the river. I had the drag too low because I was afraid of line tension, so he pulled himself deep. I'm sure he cut the line on a rock.
>>
>>486170
Damnit anon sometimes you just gotta fish in shitty weather.
>>
File: 100_0103.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
100_0103.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
>>480062
Look at the down imaging (DI) models.

I use a small home security battery (4"x3") inside a waterproof box. The cheapest method is from radioshack they sell battery holders for rc stuff. The 8 AA setup works for around 5 hours and is very compact.

you can mount the transducer several ways. youtube it. its super simple to do with goop.

I too will recommend a SOT for fishing.
>>
>>480243
yeah SD, coronado and baja trips been on fire. freezers full of yellowtail and tuna.
>>
>>486229
They fuck off when it's too cold, which has been the story every other day.
>>
>tfw: you don't think twice about shelling out $100+ on Gear
>>
>>486539
>tfw gear bargin hunter
almost as fun as being able to dish out 100s of dollars on gear on a whim
>>
>>485698
Anyone? Also, I've been looking into possibly working with/for the Florida Wildlife Commission, possibly as a river/lake warden. Anyone have any experience with this type of work?
>>
>>486539
>>486660
>tfw out of aqll the rods and shit ive bought
>rod 1
>200+dollar rod i got for free because broken butt on it
>cheap ass real i got off a broken rod
>rod 2+reel 2
>found floating down river brand new in packaging plastic
>>
File: image.jpg (472 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
472 KB, 1936x1936
Guitar fish I caught last weekend in Santa barbara CA
>>
>>486705

ITS MR WIGGLES!

The big ones are Sir Wiggles
>>
>>486539
I've already spent over $1000 this year on gear.

>$450 angling kayak (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3986135)
>$220 on a fly rod and reel
>$100 on a new daiwa 7' medium/heavy pike/muskie rod
>70 on a trolling baitcasting rid
>at least another $200 on misc tackle that I buy to hopefully quell my itch to fish.
>>
>>486539
>not fishing for bluegill with a van staal reel
>>
In about a month when my friend wants to go fishing, I will be going fishing for catfish in NC. What do I need in order to fish? My grandfather used to be really into fishing, but now we can't find his gear and it appears I'll have to start over from scratch.

I'm going to be getting a small tackle box and a rod and reel, but I'm a little lost on bait/jigs/weights/etc. In the pond we (my grandfather and I used to fish at) he would often use worms or chicken livers, cast out a little bit from the pier, and just wait. He sometimes used a bobber, sometimes didn't. He taught me how to feel for the fish biting on the line, so I'm not entirely sure I'll need a bobber or weights.

Any recommendations/tips?
>>
>>487717
Catfish are pretty much the absolute easiest fish out there to catch; you put a small sinker behind a swivel about 8" in front of a 1/0 circle hook baited with chicken liver, toss it near where you think a fish might be, set your drag and take a nap until your reel clicking wakes you up.
>>
>>487719

Hah, I know they're pretty easy to catch, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the gear and stuff right. My grandfather would always do the stuff for me, and all I'd do is cast it and wait.

Thank you for your info, and I am now searching out stuff online.
>>
>>487717
It all depends where you're fishing, I guess. If they are in the deep parts of the water, then a reel with a high gear ratio might be good to get them out of there. But catfish put up a sluggish but strong fight, so you would do fine with a reel that 10lb to 20lb. Since they are usually at the bottom, I think a good heavy and fast action rod goes best. You want a rod sensitive enough to move if the catfish is hitting it, and quick enough to hook (though circle hooks can hook themselves).

This is a pretty good rig>>487719. Only thing is that if you're a noob, chicken livers can be frustrating when they fall off the hooks. Rooster livers and turkey livers are a little more hardier and stay on the hook better. Of course there are tricks like using pantie hoes and medical net tubes to keep the livers on the hook. I've also have great luck using the same rig just with the big night crawler worms. If you catch a small bluegill or some small bream, then you can put them on the rig too.

The biggest problem I have with catfishing is that I sometimes catch turtles since they seems to share a lot of the same diet (predatory bottom feeders).
>>
My Grandpa gave me his old reel and I live in the Rocky Mountains. Trout are plentiful up here and fly fishing is huge, but I just want to sit on the shore and drink a few beers. What do I need to pick up? Anyone know a good site to help me out of my noobness?
>>
Went fishing about 10 miles off of Block Island in Rhode Island and caught a tuna. Was amazing. Cut the stomach strips off fish into sashimi and ate when we got back to shore. Felt good man.
>>
>>487726
looking to target channel cats
pond has been stocked just within the past few years,
so im doubting there is anything huge in there
what should i use as bait?
just any old thing? chicken i didnt get to cook fast enough and is looking a bit green?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2004) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2004
Picked up some new gear today
> Rapala DT-14 Crank
> Agalia Tandem Muskie lure by Mepps
>Spider Wire Glow-vid Braid
>Lew's IM7 rod and reel
>Three Turtle hooks for jugging this summer
Also got my fishing license today, spent about $150 bucks in total.
>>
>>481924
are you high?
>>
>>481817
>I like the simplicity
No need to point out the obvious, the rest of your post makes it pretty clear you aren't the thinking type
>>
>>487917
Nope (nor was I when I posted that ten days ago). Judging by the lack of typos and the fact that it was a Thursday I probably hadn't a spot of booze either. Unless you mean presently but still the answer is "no." At the moment I'm pretty low. The waters are still frigid and the fish still aren't biting.
>>
>>487854
>just any old thing?
Get some nightcrawler worms from any bait shop, walmart, or dick's sporting goods (you can keep the refrigerated). There are plenty of other places that carry them. Also get some chicken livers. You can get them from a grocery store or bait shop. Don't cook the chicken livers, though. Just keep them frozen until the day before you're going out, and let them thaw out in the fridge. Bring some bread, if you got extra at the house. Bread is more universal bait, but you might end up catching some bream or carp (if they are in the pond). If you catch something like a bluegill, I would recommend baiting him up. They work better for jugging, but if you're going to be on the pond for a long time then you might be able to get a pretty big cat on a bream (so make sure that is on a heavier rig).

Catfish have sandpaper kinda teeth. They aren't going to really tear at anything with their bite, but the teeth can scrap your line and break it. It's not going to happen very often, but you should always try to hedge your bet. I would recommend buying a small 15/20lb wire leader, and have your main line attach to that with a circle hook off the leader. You don't need a heavy weight on some ponds, but have some small egg weight to bring it to the bottom. I prefer attaching leader to mainline using a surgeon's end loop, but use whatever knot with which you have the most confidence -- an improved clinch knot is tried and true.
>>
>>481924
Yeah some people's heads are up their ass.

>fishing in a kayak
>guy speeds by with his speed boat sending wake everywhere
>see him later on, slows by me and tries to shoot the shit
>he asks me how the fishing is going
>i tell him i hadnt caught shit
>wishes me luck and speeds off causing more wake
I get that I should have been in a less congested part of that lake so it can't be helped, but they should at least know their not helping me fish.
>>
Hey fishermans. I started a thread a while back about a trip to The Pisgah/Cherokee Natl. Forests. We have some rooms booked and it looks like I have access to a ton of trout fishing creeks and streams.
Any fly fisherman from the area that can provide some insight as to patterns/techniques that you've had success with? I'll be there in early may. I can tie about anything but I'd like to tie as much as I can beforehand so I don't have to spend precious vacay time at the bench. <3
>>
>>488955
That one could have been he didn't really know anything and didn't even think about how his wake would effect any fishing. Don't overestimate anyones common sense.
>>
File: fishing shit.jpg (258 KB, 1435x773) Image search: [Google]
fishing shit.jpg
258 KB, 1435x773
>>487874
My latest splurge on shit. Why are Rapala lures so god damn expensive? One in photo was in bargain bin at fishing shop and looks like it's from the 80's yet was still $12
>>
>>489592
You payed 12 dollars for a rapala lure? From the bargain bin?
>>
>>489592

Dude there are lures I want out there that cost more than $20 new, don't complain about rapalas, also fish plastics, cheaper and just as good or spoons.
>>
>>486245

Got 3 calico off the zooniga and a 26" halibut off the IB pier last week.
>>
File: goodbye forever jackall TN60.gif (4 MB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
goodbye forever jackall TN60.gif
4 MB, 370x278
>tfw when you splurge on an expensive lure and lose it first cast
>>
>>489730
Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

>>489733
Oh I know, have a $30 Jackall still in its box because of fear of >>489881 happening, might start using it now I have a lure retriever though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-04-02-10-31-52.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-04-02-10-31-52.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
Went fly fishing in my pond a good bit in the past week. Caught some nice bass and a fuck ton of bream.
>>
>>480651
In Florida despite only being mostly five pounds the put a big fight on for their size
>>
>>489928
You fly fish bass? Never heard of that. I only do salmon fishing mind you.
>>
I'm fishing in NW arkansas, my favorite lure is a simple silver spoon, I've caught a variety of fish on it but I'm mostly looking for fish to eat. What fish can I fillet and cook on a fire, and what do I catch them with around here. I have a 15 year old zebco 33, and a newish no name spinning reel
>>
File: Cod blowering 550.jpg (43 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
Cod blowering 550.jpg
43 KB, 550x397
What is your dream catch /fg/?
>>
>>490093
30 lbs Atlantic Salmon
>>
File: Michigan steelhead.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Michigan steelhead.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
Going to be going steelhead fishing on the Au Sable River (from shore) in Michigan in a couple of weeks and was wondering what kinda lure set-up I should use with a spinning rod/reel?

I've fished off and on all my life (did some ice fishing on Lake St.Claire last month) but I'm not a "fisherman" and don't know what kinda lures and lines and set-ups to use specifically for steelhead?

Help a brother /out/.
>>
File: 0623141543a.jpg (708 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
0623141543a.jpg
708 KB, 1536x2048
>>490004
First fish I caught on my crappy beginner rod last year was this bass. Honest 3lb, and caught on a sz 18 copper nymph. They're way more fun to fight on fly gear in my opinion.
>>
>>490126
Fly fishing with a two-hander?
>>
File: rod-spinning_reel.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rod-spinning_reel.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>490140
> > what kinda lure set-up I should use with a spinning rod/reel?
>
>Fly fishing with a two-hander?

No, a spinning rod set-up.
>>
>>490093
something along the lines of pic related, 300lb Yellowfin.

Or an Yellowtail bigger than 50lbs, same for a Dorado and perhaps a 70+lb wahoo.
>>
File: 300lb yft.jpg (33 KB, 300x579) Image search: [Google]
300lb yft.jpg
33 KB, 300x579
>>490149
forgot pic, also, dream catch is pelagics like tuna and dorado from shore
>>
How did people fish before all this rod and reel stuff? If I wanted to fish like that what would I need? Obviously a stick and some twine?
>>
File: bone fishing hook.jpg (67 KB, 700x790) Image search: [Google]
bone fishing hook.jpg
67 KB, 700x790
>>490162
>>
bows, spears, nets. Fishing with a rod has been around for a while but wasn't very popular until rich white dudes had time on their hands.
>>
>>490181
Bullshit. There's evidence that fishing poles have been around since 2000BC and probably much longer; they're a very efficient way of catching fish at or near the surface.
>>
>>489881
I actually buy two of every lure that I'm confident with. Nothing is worse than being out on the water, you're getting hits and landing fish with the lure, then you snag it or a fish takes it. Sure you can switch to some secondary lure/bait that could work, but you know that they just aren't going to work as well as what you had been using. So yeah, I get a second one just so I'm not fucked when I'm actually out.

I won't do that though if I'm experimenting with new lures.
>>
>>490162
I'm imagine that spears, nets, and traps were the way people had the best success with fishing. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people "noodling" fish out of the water, either.

>>490179
That's a rather large hook, and I would imagine that most bone hooks are not small and were meant for larger fish.

>>490194
Not him, but I would believe that sticks were tied to some line and used to fish. But modern day poles, reels, and hooks are in a league of their own.
>>
>>490214
>Not him, but I would believe that sticks were tied to some line and used to fish.
No shit; that's what a fishing rod is.
>>
>>490216
Actually read the wikipedia source. In 2000BC, rods were really just branches. It wasn't until 800BC when they actually bound different wood together to make a fishing rod.
>>
>>490221
Composite construction or a lack thereof has nothing to do with whether or not something is a fishing rod - if it's a springy pole with a line and hook coming off of it then it's a fishing rod, be it a single piece of bamboo or billions of carbon fibers woven into cloth and rolled into a tube.
>>
>>490224
People were actually tooling fishing rods in 800BC which is the real beginning of what we know as angling. You can look at it as broad and general of a view that you want.

Also, what are we even arguing about?
>>
>>490228
>Also, what are we even arguing about?
You're refusing to accept sticks as fishing rods.
>>
>>490231
I'm not going to argue semantics with you. You can consider a rock a hammer all you want, but if it isn't latched to a lever then I'm not considering it a hammer.
>>
>>488925
i have a bunch of dead and salted shiners
worth trying?
>>
File: 40549471.png (1001 KB, 777x1179) Image search: [Google]
40549471.png
1001 KB, 777x1179
>>490126
>>490141

Any help on steelhead fishing rigs would be appreciated.
>>
>>490508
I bet they would work well, considering shiners are native to the area (the best bait is what the fish actually eats regularly). Even if they aren't native, I'm sure a catfish would still take it. Honestly, I like to bring a small variety of different baits just in case they aren't biting on one then they will hopefully be biting on the other.

Kinda unrelated, but make sure if you use an alive baitfish that they are allowed in the area. Shiners might be considered an evasive fish in your area, and could damage the ecosystem if they get free. Granted your shiners are dead, so it doesn't really matter. Just something to consider, and always try to be responsible.
>>
>>490732
I meant to say shiners can be "invasive". Anyways I know that some of the anglers on /out/ consider catfish undesirable and too simplistic, but I really enjoy fishing for them more so than small redbreasts and perch. They have a sluggish but strong fight, can get very large, and taste great. Worst part about catfishing to me is that I have caught a bunch of turtles, which are a bitch to unhook (even if can be unhooked), feels like you're reeling in a log, and just fuck up everything. One even took a popper I was using in a lake once.
>>
>>490552
I have fished for brown trout, but not steelhead trout. But for what it's worth, your picture seems to have some good insight into it. It says for the floating you should use a drift rig, and googling drift rig got a lot of results relating specifically for steelhead. Generally speaking, plugs and spoons can be attached to either a swivel to keep it from turning on itself or directly to the mainline.
>>
File: 100_0324.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
100_0324.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
>>490126
What section of the au sable are you going to fish? I know most parts of it are restricted to artificial tackle only. Your best bet would probably be Mepp's spinners or small spoons. Maybe artificial salmon eggs would work as well.
>>
>>490732
wilol definatley bring a variety , have 2 lines in the water each with a different bait, and will be throwing out a third with lures to get whatever else (walleye)

i figured catfish are one of the few fish i havent activley targeted other then small bullhead
( catfish , carp, walleye )
as for shiners im always considerate, one lake i fish has a bunch of large golden shiners that arent technically native so we always throw them on the ice when ice fishing for the ravens that live nearby

went on a walk today and came across ( well i was looking for it ) an old gravel pit that i figured may be worth fishing but the river was up and overflowing into it
>>
File: AuSableRiverQueen_Michigan.jpg (526 KB, 2060x1545) Image search: [Google]
AuSableRiverQueen_Michigan.jpg
526 KB, 2060x1545
>>490787
>What section of the au sable are you going to fish?

I'm guessing somewhere below Foote Pond?

We've camped in the area for 30 years now but the only fishing I've done there, is off a boat on Foote Pond.
>>
Hey guys, I just found out the resorvoir I camp near is full of brook trout, and I want to start fishing. I've never fished before. I was thinking of getting a cheap baitcasting rod+reel and trying it out. I'll be at a small lake, fed by small streams, about 8000 feet in elevation.

Anyone have any tips for a beginner at this?
Do trout taste any good?

Been reading through the thread and its been helpful, just wondering if anyone has anything more specific for my species and area.
>>
>>491237
>start fishing
get a spinning reel
easier to use, maintain, and simpler in general
>>
>>480032

>Lubricate your knot

This only sems to make sense as a beastiality joke.
>>
>>491299
>>
>>491306

>he doesn't make out with his knots before pulling them tight
>>
File: perch.jpg (101 KB, 1040x728) Image search: [Google]
perch.jpg
101 KB, 1040x728
>trying to eat a lure 1/3 your size

God damn Perch are greedy bastards. Also why do they only ever attack the front treble on lures? Do they primarily ambush their prey from below or something?
>>
>>491330
yes they do attack their prey from below. that's why they have eyes on the top of their head pointing up
>>
>>491237
>Anyone have any tips for a beginner at this?
Fly-fish instead of spincasting or using bait..

>Do trout taste any good?
Yes.
>>
>>491367
Like almost every other fish species on the planet, gotcha.
>>
>>491330
I love golden perch. Where are you fishing, anon?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
The size 13 is a good ruler... Don't worry, hooked his tounge a lil, didn't tear up his gills or throat. Catch n Release bro!

But at this pond the other night (south FL) when I got this bass, I saw a handful of ~12" gar just lazily swimming close to shore. New to FL, how do I catch those things?

Had a rod with bobber and nightcrawlers out there for shits and was playing around with Mepps and small-medium Rapalas and all the gar did was poke at the nightcrawlers a little.
>>
>>483268
where is this? murray?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>fishing on dock at local reservoir for bass and saugeye
>Van pulls up behind me, playing loud music
>Two hamplanets slowly inch their way out of their van and pop the trunk to get a mobility scooter and cheap fishing gear
>I picked my tackle box up and walked away, knowing they would ask me to move
>Leave
>>
>>491513
http://www.garfishing.com/garhow.html

Looks like a useful site. IIRC gar are mostly scavengers so you might need to put dead bait on a hook.
>>
>>491483
South Aus on the Murray

>>491522
Nah, lake Bonney in SA
>>
>>491658
>fishing on Easter long weekend

Literally hell
>>
File: 20150317_123008.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150317_123008.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My latest catch. Got about a dozen in the 12-15" range from a private pond in SC. Then spend 3 days on a lake in NC and didnt catch shit, still a good time tho. Anyone else from northern VA? Havent got a change to get on the potomac this year but will soon
>>
File: catfish.png (1 MB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
catfish.png
1 MB, 720x960
Can anyone in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area take me fishing? I haven't been in forever, and I just love going. Grandpa's getting too old to wanna take me, anymore.
Pic is the last time I went fishing. June of last year, I think? Got a pretty nice cat fish.
>>
>>490134
Check that squat form for your own health.
>>
>>492320
How old are you? Do you not have transportation?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>491658
Trapping Creek Chubs for bait/ feeder fish for my pond. I'm going to freeze some a batch of them using a Cherry Koolaid/ Brine solution.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>492368
* Freeze a batch of them
>>
File: imagejpeg_2.jpg (193 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
imagejpeg_2.jpg
193 KB, 768x1024
>>491513
Gar are slowly making a comeback in my city, so nobody really knows the exact way to catch them where I'm from, but we try different things. Some people use a ball of thread or wire in place of a hook because its supposed to get tangled in their teeth. Personally, I just use a standard jig set-up. I'm not sure why, but everytime I toss my line in and the gar bite, they don't let go of the bait, so I can pull them up or net them real quick, and don't have to go through the hassle of taking the hook out.

Pic related, nice 26 incher from the river.
>>
>>491237
Baitcasters usually aren't for beginners. They aren't too hard to learn, but holy shit are they unforgiving to newbies. One bad backlash and you could end up re-spooling the reel. Fly fishing isn't that hard, but I imagine it would be more difficult learning by yourself if you have no one to teach you. If you're really just trying to get out there and get a line in the water just to see if you even like fishing, then just get a spinning reel.
>>
>>492376
People usually catch gar on a lasso rig with line that gets caught in their teeth. But if you found a rig that is working, then keep using it.
>>
>>492387
Yea that's what I meant, wasn't sure how to explain it tho.

Also, anyone have any trout fishing tips? Me and some friends are going on opening day this year, but I've never been trout fishing. What kinda rigs/bait/methods etc...work best?
>>
>can't eat the fish in my area now due to massive pollution

I haven't fished and had fun for years now. I grew up fishing and eating what I caught. Now it just seems so pointless. I'd have to travel something like 600 miles to find fish I can eat. Fuck this place.
>>
>>492398
>fishing for redbreasts out of a river i normally fish
>one's a pretty good size, i fillet it and cook it
>get sick for a night
>a week later the EPA happens to issue a warning for that river
>>
>>492392
>>492392
where do you live?
do they stock trout?

im a relitivley avid trout fisherman and currently working at the hatchery so i may be able to give you some tips
>>
>>492406
I'm from western PA, Pittsburgh to be exact. They do stock them here. Opening day is next Saturday, so I want to give myself some time to do some research and prepare properly.
>>
>>492320
I know /out/ has more sane members than the average board but shit, get some friends already, fuck meeting anyone from this shithole.
>>
>>492320
I wouldn't want to go fishing with anyone who wouldn't just go fishing by themselves. Also,
>making friends on 4chan

Just go fishing if you wanna fish
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 1360x556) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9 KB, 1360x556
>>492412
the rig i would suggest is a small float ( nothing bigger then a quarter ) with a horisontal hanging hook( trout magnet hooks are really well ballenced and a great size, though they will bend and start to streighten out if you arent careful fishing a big fish ) under it with dangiling section of worm
toss it up river and let it float down,
try ifferent depths until you hit where the fish are, look for cover , big bolders breaking the current etc
>>
>>492412
>>493095
though do some reading online on other shit and be prepared, live bait usually works well
>warning , im more of a bass fisherman than a trout though i work at a trout hatchery
>>
File: 005.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
My first ever brown trout. Not very large and was the only fish I caught all day but I feel it was worth spending the day out there.
>>
File: 012.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>493108
another, shittier pic. Fish looks dead but it isn't; I always do catch & release
>>
>>493111
>I always do catch & release
After handling the fish with your hands for a few minutes while you get your iPhone ready and then leaving it on the ground for another shot?

Yeah, great fucking job. Nice iFishing, next time bring your XBox and a generator.
>>
>>493128
Look at this asshole right here. Not him, but he took two shitty photos (didn't even take the time to focus the first one). It literally takes 5 seconds to snap a photo, and you best believe most anglers take a picture of their catch. At least he was handling the fish by it's body and not just letting it hang on the hook. It's not like he put it on ice and took it somewhere to get to a certified weigh-in. It's not like he foul hooked the fish or cut the line with the hook in it's mouth. It will be fine.
>>
>>492412
I'm from near Philly. our opening day was last Sat.
I caught 25 trout all on trout magnets. most on gold some on black. My friend caught some on
black roostertail spinners.
>>
>>493137
>cut the line with the hook in it's mouth

50% of the time Perch swallow hooks that are impossible to remove without killing them, the best thing to do is cut the line and the hook will eventually disintegrate
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 400x224
Hey dudes, question for you.
Has anyone has any success with growing your own maggots for fishing?
Was it difficult? Take long?
Was it effective?

I'm asking because I love bait fishing but I'm sick of paying $14AUD for a tiny tub of worms.
>>
>>494594
Growing your own maggots sounds messy and even borderline unhealthy. That said, I imagine it isnt that hard -- probably just need to let meat rot outside.

Related to that note, anyone ever a worm farm? Do they actually produce a lot of worms that could be used for bait? Or is it just for watching only a few worms tunnel around like an ant farm?
>>
Hey guys,

An old guy I know recently enlightened me to fly fishing and let me take a few casts with his rod/reel after talking about it for awhile (In his lawn with a cigarette butt as a lure)

Anyways, we were going on float trips to just paddle earlier in the spring/late winter, but now fishing season is here and I don't have anything with which to fish, so he's been going by himself and dropping hints that I ought get a rod so we can keep paddling.

Problem being, I don't know shit about purchasing fishing gear. My old habbits consisted of

>go to walmart
>Grab the cheapest open reel
>buy hooks n' shit
>Catch river clams to put on hooks
>Fish

So point being, could anyone here recommend me where to start researching to purchase a set up? I've been browsing craigslist alot but don't want to blow cash on trash.

Thanks.
>>
>>494764

what will you be targeting?
>>
File: ABU Garcia spinning reel.jpg (144 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ABU Garcia spinning reel.jpg
144 KB, 600x600
>>490126
>>490141
>>490552
>>491105

The guy going steelhead fishing in a week or two, (see above) and as I was digging thru my fishing gear,
I discovered that my spinning reel is missing (probably left on a buddy's boat years back) and while I have
a Shakespeare ultra-light spinning rod/reel and a Berkley fly fishing set-up. I'm going to need a new spinning
reel for my main fishing pole.

But I'm not hip to what's out there nowadays (my stuff is all pushing 20 years old) and I'll be going to the new
Field & Stream store that just opened up nearby, looking to get some new gear, including a spinning reel.

Any recommendations? I'd like to stick with an ABU Garcia reel, if nothing else because that's the same
brand as the fishing pole and I kinda like stuff to be matched. Also, I'm not looking to spend an arm & a leg.

ABU Garcia spinning pole:
6'6" Medium-Light Action
1/4-5/8 oz. Lure
6-17 lb. Line
5 Guides

A buddy suggested 8 lb or so Maxima brand fishing line but I'm thinking 15 lb would be better.

Also; I could still use suggestions on lure setups and any other pointers for steelhead fishing on the Au Sable river.
>>
>>494816
Abu Garcia makes great spinning reels and even better baitcasters. It's a good choice that isn't too pricey, either. I had an Orra and loved it. But I was stupid one day. I casted out and closed the action with the drag set high, I set it against a branch then walked about 20 feet away to grab a beer from the cooler. While I was shooting the shit with my bro who was with me by the cooler, something takes my line and took my whole rod down river. I tried following the river for a half a mile or so down stream but never found it.
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (87 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
87 KB, 768x1024
>>487717
it also depends on what type of catfising you are doing. you can do regular small or whatever bites fishing like most or rig up for big cats. i caught pic related this last weekend on guts on a carolina rig in 20 foot of water on roanoke rapids lake.
>>
>>494594
there are several black fly maggot box tutorials on youtube. you can make a bucket system that they just crawl out when ready and fall in to whatever set up you have for them.
>>
Question

So I kayak fish, mainly on rivers. I live in Southwestern Ontario and fish a few rivers that have special fishing regulations on a few select areas that are marked on water and land (the Grand River namely has the most of these areas in my experience). These areas differ in what they prohibit exactly but its usually a strict catch and release policy with only artificial lures ect ect.

My friends and I often keep a enough fish for a good meal, but we catch them all along the river at different points, before and after these areas that are strict catch and release. We've never run into anyone from the ministry and I think the chances are slim to none that we run into someone, but just in case, would we have anything to worry about if we had fish that we caught in a different area in an area that it was prohibited to keep said fish?
>>
>>494755
Lady pls go
>>
Once my mom threw the entire rod into the pond while fishing. Does this count?
>>
>>490126
>>490141
>>490552
>>491105
>>494816

Got back from the new Field & Stream store (pretty decent place) and picked up;

Field & Stream Inferno 20 spinning reel ($35)
Stren 17lb Lo-Vis green fishing line
Plano 9.125"x5"x1.25" and 4.5"x3"x1.25" mini-tackle boxes
Tackle Tamer snell/leader holder
Water Gremlin 60-piece BB sized split shot
Eagle Claw 20-count #2 3-way swivels
12-Eagle Claw #6 snells
12-Eagle Claw #8 snells
Coghlan's 3/4"x48" sleeping bag straps (for my GoreTex shell parka)
2-pair Wigwam Ultimax mid-weight Dri-release Tencell 16" boot socks

Couldn't find a titanium spork (because I want one!) and didn't feel like dropping _$170_ on a soft shell jacket, as that's just too much money for what you're getting.

Still up for hearing any pointers and suggestions on steelhead fishing from you guys.
>>
>>495546
>Inferno 20 spinning reel
>17lb Lo-Vis Green fishing line

That reel only holds 125 yards of 10lb mono. So long as you're confident you won't be hooking into anything that might exert more force than your line's breaking strength you'll be okay. If there is a chance you could wind up hooking into a chunky musky (or even a big rainbow since lake-dwelling rainbows can hit double-digit pounds) you should keep in mind you'll probably have less than a football field's worth of line on the reel for the fish to take before you run out.

Look at the rod as a shock absorber for the line and reel. When a fish jumps or charges it's there to keep the line taught and absorb that rush of momentum so it doesn't fall directly upon the line . Look at the reel as a line-feeding device just as much as you expect it be your line-retriever. The drag on the reel needs to be set loose enough that if the fish wants pull harder than the breaking strength of your line the reel will feed line out to compensate. The rule of thumb I've always heard is have the drag set to 20% of your line's pound-test (although I admittedly run mine a bit tighter). So if you're using 10lb mono and put 2lbs of weight on the end of your line the drag should just click-click-click if you try to reel it up. A simple trick should you need your drag to be tighter while fighting a fish is, rather than taking your hand off the handle and messing with the dial, extend your index finger and gently press it onto the bail to create more resistance. You can manually control how easily the line feeds much like thumbing the spool on a baitcaster or cupping/palming a fly reel.

I haven't done any trout fishing specifically but I fish mostly spinning reels with either 6 or 12 lb mono. That catfish up above ( >>484996 ) was caught with 6 lb and it weighed no less than 12. With enough line and a properly set drag you can bring in almost anything.
>>
File: call of doodee.jpg (159 KB, 1183x794) Image search: [Google]
call of doodee.jpg
159 KB, 1183x794
>>490151
>>490103
How hard are they to get realistically? Would love to get a metre plus Murray Cod but biggest I've got so far is pic related. Going into Cod territory in a few days so fingers crossed.
>>
>>495546
IMO you can probably skimp out on the cost of a rod. But a reel that I would intend to use for 5+ years is something I wouldn't spend less than 60-80 dollars on. Think of it this way: A rod is a relatively simple instrument, and provided you pick the rod for the situation one reel used across 3-4 rods will let you fish any water. They don't have to be expensive. You're not fishing some 150k bass tournament or anything where every bite matters.

The reel is a much more sensitive instrument. It's important to have one that's:
a. Easy to service
b. Very corrosion resistant with strong pinions and gears.
c. From a reputable brand with service shops and a good warranty and easy to find parts.
d. Good gear ratio to make sure you bring in fish promptly for safer catch and release, and fewer lost fish and tackle.
>>
>>495648
That's not always true. Some fishing situations (like fishing off of heavy structure) prevent using loose drag. If you did the fish would have a chance to get into a hole and you'd end up with a dead fish you can't retrieve and some more lead in the ocean. No one wants that. But as you said it's a personal call and everything changes depending on what you're fishing.

If you're catching smaller fish drag isn't a big deal. Mono is underrated when it comes to their # number. For example 4# test can easily hold 10# of force. Additionally, mono has natural stretch which gives you a little leeway. I use braided line to fish which means your rod has to be be able to stand up to extreme sudden shocks since braided line has 0 stretch. Additionally your drag has to be dialed in just right.
>>
>>495842
> IMO you can probably skimp out on the cost of a rod.

Already have a rod as mentioned here >>494816

ABU Garcia spinning pole:
6'6" Medium-Light Action
1/4-5/8 oz. Lure
6-17 lb. Line
5 Guides

> But a reel that I would intend to use for 5+ years is something I wouldn't spend less than 60-80 dollars on.

Nonsense, that Abu Garcia rod I've got and the Abu Garcia spinning reel I had, (now MIA) together was probably only $60-80 when I got it in 'round about 1986.

But I've finally some info on steelhead rigs, (pic related) as I don't like the style my buddy uses* and plan on picking up a slip bobber kit tomorrow or the next day, as well as some 8lb line for leaders and I've already got 4 steelhead jigs I've had for years but never used (that I can remember).

* His set-up is 8lb or so line, tied to a #2 three-way swivel, with one leader having some split-shot and the other leader, having a #6 or #8 hook with wax worms and such.

But he also say he constantly breaks his line and loses his rigs, which doesn't surprise me, as all that shit is sinking straight down and getting hung up on the rocks.... He has caught steelhead on it though, but I'm guessing this was more a case of luck.
>>
File: steelhead_bobber-rig-2.png (153 KB, 981x493) Image search: [Google]
steelhead_bobber-rig-2.png
153 KB, 981x493
>>495861
>>
>>495861
http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=60&year=1986

Times change. 60 bucks then is about 120 now.
>>
File: IMAG0732.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0732.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
Live by a river, pic related
I Want to start fishing but I have no idea where to start. No idea what kind of fish are in the river or how to catch them.
>>
>>496003

Well then it must have bought it for much less then that, as I was 18 in 1986 and didn't have the money to drop the equivalent of $120 on a rod and reel.
>>
i asked this and go no response so ill try and explain it a more 4chan-esque way

>kayak fishing on a river, heading downstream
>catch a few smallmouth bass, keep a couple on a stringline for dinner
>continue fishing through a city, which has areas designated as fishing sanctuaries

if we were to be stopped by someone from the ministry of environment (extremely slim chance, but you never know) is there anything wrong with having those fish in a sanctuary area when they were caught in an area that wasnt?

i realize it will depend somewhat on the person who stops us, and if they were dicks they could probably ticket us just by saying that the fish were from that area, but we could fight that in court. is just having fish in that area enough to warrant a ticket?
>>
>smallmouth bass
>ministry of environment
Sounds like your Canadian, so I couldn't tell you. Check your local regulations, always.
>>
>>496202
I meant to quote this guy>>496196
>>
>>496196
>if we were to be stopped by someone from the ministry of environment (extremely slim chance, but you never know) is there anything wrong with having those fish in a sanctuary area when they were caught in an area that wasnt?
Yes, if you get stopped you could have a bit of a headache. How could you prove where the fish came from? Best to avoid the situation altogether.
>>
>>496207
we take pics of our catches so we would have evidence. if we got ticketed id fight it and i imagine it'd get tossed, but thats assuming that it isnt illegal to have fish caught in a different area on a stringline in a sanctuary, which is what ive been trying to find out
>>
File: Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png (7 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png
7 KB, 645x773
>>480032
God damn.. Novice at fishing here. I fell in love with the taste of pan fish last year so I went fishing today to try for some. Daytime was shit, nothing.

I went back at night and had only caught 1 crappie when something big hit my lure. Was jumping and I fought it for 45min before I even got it into the light, was a giant musky. To a novice like me this thing was massive and long. Line broke at the very end when it was in the shallows and it circled just out of reach. Never thought id get frustrated over a fish.. but that was more adrenaline than the small fish I only ever catch.. End of rant

I did eat my first self caught/cleaned crappie. Foil and herbs and butter and it was good over the campfire
>>
File: firstcatch-1302.jpg (220 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
firstcatch-1302.jpg
220 KB, 700x525
>>496451
Also is anyone familiar with crawfish trapping? I have been interested in seeing how they taste and have two traps to put out. I think the local lakes have them just don't know abundance.
>>
>>496094
What country? Buy a rod, throw a worm on the hook, cast into river and see what happens.
>>
>>496094
visit a local tackle shop, ask some questions. tell them your a newbie and want some tips and whatnot, theyll be glad to fill you in (they may even tell you a few hotspots)
>>
>>496255
Nigguh just check your regulations and ask. Anons on a slow board like /out/ aren't always going to have the best answer, and might even have out dated answers since regulations can change over just one year.
>>
>>496451
The hardest part about a situation like that is just remembering to do the right things. When it's that close to you and that tired, you can just set the drag to almost nothing. Also use a landing net.
>>
any one got any tips on fishing a texas rig? never really fished plastic worms before.
>>
>>496951
It's best for shallows, by vegetation, and structures. Be slow with the retrieve using the rod tip to move the lure and then reeling in the slack. Use a bobber stopper to keep the lead near the hook. This keeps the weight from slipping too far from the hook, which can cause snags on rocks and other structure below. You shouldn't be making long overhead casts when using a texas rig, so that means you will be casting 10 to 15 yards away from you. Flipping and pitching are great for casting at close distances that give it a very soft landing in the water.
>>
>>496963
I'm not even the dude who asked, but that helped me a lot for some reason. I've been fishing it wrong this whole time.
>>
File: bd.jpg (49 KB, 600x556) Image search: [Google]
bd.jpg
49 KB, 600x556
I could use some advice. Say I wanted to take one fishing trip every year to fill my freezer, what would be the least expensive way to do that? Eating venison I bagged is the most enjoyable part of hunting, for me, and I'd love that satisfaction from fishing.

I'm assuming I'd have to go to the coast because of bag limits inland. Can you catch a nice bounty doing something like surf fishing? I'm dreaming of a bi-yearly road trip and bringing back a couple hundred lbs of fish, but I have no experience surf fishing to know if that's even possible. Any ideas?
>>
>>497078
there are bag limits for saltwater fish in most places
>>
>>496765
ive tried, i even mailed th ministry directly and no response. this info isnt on any of the documents just because it refers to a kinda rare situation
>>
>>497151
Honestly just keep on fishing, if they are that fucking lazy to not notify the public of regulations, even with a direct personal request they have no chance of prosecuting you.
>>
>>497078
a blacktip shark from the surf could work. has to be 54 inches fork length in most places.

flathead or blue catfish could be a fresh water option.
>>
>>497452

Hop on a 5 day boat out of San Diego, Tuna and yellowtail for months
>>
File: PS888_group.jpg (48 KB, 378x535) Image search: [Google]
PS888_group.jpg
48 KB, 378x535
My grandpa gave me his old reel from the late 80s. It was my first time spooling a rod, and I thought I did alright but it won't cast.

Help please?
>>
>>497452
Isn't there a too much mercury in large fish like that?

>>497465
Sounds like the thumb button isn't engaging. It's a pretty simple design, press and release the thumb button then the reel is open. Cranking the reel will close it back and pressing and holding down the button.
>>
>>497483

>>497452 the meat is sold commercially. Maybe 1 meal a week then.
>>
>>497078
You don't want to eat any catfish over 15 pounds. The fat saturated and they taste like they smell at that point.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 74

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.