[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ Going on my first back packing trip later this summer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-05-29-16-56-39-590366570.jpg (5 KB, 170x116) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-29-16-56-39-590366570.jpg
5 KB, 170x116
Hey /out/
Going on my first back packing trip later this summer to the tetons. Have a completely clean slate when it comes to gear so want to do this thing right from the beginning. What would you guys reccomed in the way of tent, sleeping bag and mat, as well as pack? And any other items that would make life better that I may not know about? Will be 5 days of hiking in total.
>>
>>779862
Read this thread >>747404
>>
>>779862
Honestly? But as little as you can, borrow everything possible (not shoes but everything else) If you're going to stick to trails then old running shoes would do as long as they are still an all right shape.
It's a huge waste to dump thousands of dollars into gear while you don't know if you like it yet, it's not for everyone.
I have friends who loved LOVED to go on the first hike with me, only to break down after 1-2 days and never go hiking again.

Buying everything before your first hike is also bad because you don't yet know what you like. You can see that /out/ has different opinions/preferences on pretty much every peace of gear. Many of them valid.
When you're out there you'll learn what you like, you'll learn a bit more about what's possible by checking out what kind of setups other people are using.
>>
>>779904
Thanks senpai spee here so not very familiar with /out/

>>779920
Good point, don't really know anyone I can borrow from though. I spent 4 years in the Marines so I have the experience of hiking long distance heavy weight day after day, and being out in the field. But that was all structured to wear it's just do as your told so much easier. But I enjoyed the non military aspects of it enough too feel pretty confident it's something I'd like to countinue to do regularly.
>>
>>779947
That changes the story, if you liked it well enough in the military, you're going to be fine.

Can't you use some of the stuff from your service days? I took home a backpack, hydration system, sleeping bag and other minor stuff... but then I didn't serve in the US.

In any case, go here:
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/forum/commerce/gear-swap/

Better get second hand gear at this point till you figure out what you like.
It's also a great place to ask people about gear items etc.
Despite the name of the domain, it's not just for ultralight.

If you don't have and can't borrow any gear, you should first focus on getting: backpack, sleeping bag and shelter (probably tent...).
If you're buying, the backpack should be of good quality from the start, the rest don't have to be.
Read this about choosing the right backpack: >>777433
You should try it out even if you plan to order online, just go to a store nearby.
>>
>>779980
Basically I'll i got to keep were uniform items unfortunately. Upsetting cuz the sleeping sacks we're given are mega comfy I'm hoping to find a similar one to buy.
But yeah I'll read into that appreciate the help my friend.
>>
>>779862
What part of "later this summer" are you talking about? Depending on elevation, you could see down below 30 degrees at night by August.
>>
>>780465
July 10 and yeah checked on that and was suprised to see the average low is like upper 30s
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.