[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I Screw Up? Help Me Out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 79302103_xxl.jpg (130 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
79302103_xxl.jpg
130 KB, 1425x1425
Hey /out/,

In preparation for a long hiking trip me and my friends plan to take I bought a hiking pack at the store without really doing my research and just took what was on offer. It was a Karrimor 65 Leopard. I just thought to look up the reviews online and people are bashing it left and right and now that I look at it I can see the flaws in the design, it's flimsy and the back rest is curved in and doesn't rest flat against the back.

We're planning to backpack from place to place for around 2 1/2 months and I'm afraid the pack won't hold up and will kill my back. What do you guys think? If you think I need to get a new one please recommend me one for under £100 that will have the capacity to carry all the essentials for living out of.
>>
>>776739
Damn son, can you return it?
>>
>>776799
I might be able to, I'm looking for the receipt but I wanna know what you guys think first.
>>
>>776808
It's basically a tube. They clearly went for an alpine design but I can not understand why it doesn't have ice axe loops That red string seems weak. The compression straps are too short to be of any real use. Unless it was really cheap I wouldn't have buy it.

However, it's a 65 lt tube, so if you can fit your basic equipement in there with aprox 15 free lts (for food and whatever), it might do the trick
>>
>>776821
Ugh, I don't know if I'm willing to take that risk now that you've backed up it being fragile. I'll probably go for a new one and pray I can return this one.
>>
>>776867
Wait I'm not saying it's fragile. Karrimor does quality packs. I'm saying that it's configuration is weird. That strap would be very easy to replace if broken. I would have chosen other model, but if it was cheap, and it holds all your items, you'll adjust on the way.

Now if you are able to return it, maybe look for other model. How much was it btw, just to look for any alternatives on the price range?
>>
>>776893
I paid around 60 for it
>>
I don't know if you guys have military surplus stores over there, but if you need something relatively cheap and dependable pick up a ruck sack. You can fit a ton of shit in there, and add separate pouches to the side for quick access. I can tell the one you have might be shit
>>
>>776931
Seconded, if you're looking for something heavy and uncomfortable milsurp is great.
>>
>>776895
Ok let's assume you can't return it and you have to make do with that. Tell us what you are going to carry. Even better, take a pic of your things. Those side pockets can hold a tent if you divide it in two bags. The whole bottom will take your sleeping bag. You can strap an eggshell sorta sleeping pad on that red string, which leaves you with about 40 remaining lts on the tubepack
>>
>>777213
Here's what I have on my list so far:

40L drybag
Small torch
Headlight
Small first aid kit
Folding knife
Field knife sharpener
Water flask
Disinfectant spray
Antiperspirant
Paracord
Small bit of food (few packs of noodles, etc.)
Small stackable cooking tins
Microfibre towel
sleeping bag
sleeping mat
plastic bowl
10 AAA batteries
Fire starter
Small tarp
water purifying tablets

2 pairs of shoes
2 hoodies
1 outdoors coat
3 pairs of jeans
1 pair of joggers
socks
underwear
gloves
hat
4 shirts

There are item compartments on top of the bag and on the bottom, too. I'd take a picture but I haven't done getting everything off my list yet
>>
>>777227
Just one pair of jeans and the joggers, only 2 shirts. Jeans take a lot of space, and they are heavy. A bar of soap will do for cleaning your self and to use as deodorant in your armpits. Running shoes and the ones you are carrying with you, you don't need more than that, maybe sandals. Just one hoodie; you can make do with that and the third layer (outdoors coat). Socks just 2 pairs besides the ones you are using, the same with underwear. You don't need the torch if you have a headlight, replace with a couple of candles.

Also, you need baby wipes, solid vaseline (or that thing they use on babies for sores, but vaseline serves as a fire starter as well), a pack of cards and a book (good moral is important).
>>
>>777186
Heavy sure. Uncomfortable, not really.
>>
>>776739
Can't say about the fragile part, my experience with Karrimore was ok, however it was a different model.

As for comfort, stuff it with 15-20 kg and walk around in your home for 30-40 mins, more if you want to be super sure. And decide how you feel. If it doesn't fit your back structure you'll start feeling uncomfortable.

However, make sure you distribute the weight correctly (in all 3 axis), and adjust the straps etc, if you've never done that don't be afraid to ask for help from someone you know.

After that you'll be able to make a much more informed decision.

For future reference, backpacks vary and like shoes the most awesome backpack may not be the best for you. You have to measure them the way I described (though stores will rarely let you take so much weight, more like 10-12 kg in my experience, the right weight also depends on the backpack, most 35L backpacks are not built to take much more than 15 kg (They can but it fucks them up and makes them less comfortable)).
>>
>>777227
ditch the jeans, ditch the shirts and underwear.

keep TWO sets, including the one you're wearing. I do 'day' and 'evening' clothes, or 'walking' and 'camp' if you prefer. That way you're not carrying loads, and you can wear one while you wash the other.

This applies to everything OTHER THAN SOCKS. I repeat everything OTHER THAN SOCKS.

4 pairs minimum. When you stop at midday to eat, take your boots off, air your feet and put fresh socks on. Sleep with your washed socks to dry them.

This will go a long way of protecting your feet which I feel is usually where everyone suffers when they do a lot of walking and their body isn't used to it.

If you can switch the hoodies for something woolen or synthetic it'd be better too.

Jeans are a bad idea tho. I like synthetic running trousers (Nike) when it's mild, shorts if it's hot, or poly cotton trousers if it's cold.

As to original question, Karrimor are a decent brand. Consider it a learner pack, get to understand what you like and dislike about it THROUGH USING IT, and then on your next purchase you can ask /out/ with a set of criteria based off experience.

Otherwise your kit list looks okay, maybe add a bit of talcum powder for your feet, a mini suncream tube for your face, midgie head net depending where you are. Baby oil or vaseline if you are prone to chaffing.

You tenting or hammocking or what? If you only have a small tarp I'd definately pick up another. Alternatively a poncho that can double as a tarp. It'll afford you much more flexibility in set up
>>
>>777506
We're tenting, but we may just have to go without shelter sometimes
>>
>>777227

>>777506
Good advice all around, would like to re-iterate the jeans part. They are alright for some outdoor activity, not hiking.
depends on how's the weather on your intended trail... I usually go with shorts to hike in and long one's for cold time/camp.

You guys are not cooking? or is the stove+pot setup on another person?

>>777593
>but we may just have to go without shelter sometimes
I'm curious, why is that?
>>
>>777636
We plan to cook over a fire.

>but we may just have to go without shelter sometimes
I worded that really badly, what I meant is we may or may not be able to bring the tent with us and when we get to certain locations we'll have shelter for a short time
>>
File: DSCF2620-2.jpg (402 KB, 1600x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2620-2.jpg
402 KB, 1600x2000
>>777639

Make a penny stove out of a coke can and bring a little meths with you. When you can't get a fire going, or you stop for lunch and don't have time, or it's raining and everything's wet, you'll be super thankful.

I use pic related, whitebox stove, but it's easy to make your own.

>>777639
if there's a few of you there's no harm in packing a tent between you.
>>
>>776739
>We're planning to backpack from place to place for around 2 1/2 months
Christ lad, if you're out for that length of time look to buy a quality bag that suits your back.

>under £100
I've had a Torridon 65 for a few years which should be fairly cheap to buy and I've found it to be very comfy on long walks.
>>
>>777675
I think I'll do that with the tent, yeah. I'll give making the stove a go too if I have the right stuff.

>>777677
I've decided to get myself the Berghaus Wilderness pack, whether I can return the other or not. Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>777921
If you can't return it, don't buy a new one. The thing is not going to fall appar. Learn to work with what you have and make the best of it. Unless you spend serious money on a pack, it's never going to be comfortable the first days carrying it, because your body needs to adapt to it. Online reviews are just that, don't take them for granted.
>>
>>777921
based off what? more internet research. just go use your fucking pack you're a newbie who's way overthinking this.
>>
File: IMG_6706.jpg (1 MB, 4652x3101) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6706.jpg
1 MB, 4652x3101
>>777639
Not taking a stove, or tents is completely valid.
However... for newbies I'd recommend to take both (and I mean this in the most uncondescending way possible).
It's going to be harder than you think, especially in the first two days. having a easy way to cook without working could make a difference. A quick way to make a hot drink is also a strong pick me up.

As for the tent, if you don't have experience sleeping outside without a tent, this better not be the first time you try it. I've seen people quit over it.
While idk where you guys are going and whether it's relevant, a tent it's warmer than sleeping outsider, and since you might not have the best sleeping bag that might matter.

Good luck anon, it's a hard start, but there is nothing like it. In a few days your body adjusts, don't you forget that in the first few days, things do get a lot easier.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.